• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Were film critics edgy when reviewing those films?

Man of Steel reviewed the same as Thor (but got worse Rotten approval), it had a higher officiel audience score, both in cinemascore and online ratings.

Revenge of the Sith is consistently in top 3 or top 4 in official polls and didn't review horribly, had a high audience score as well.

BvS theatrical cut was an unmitigated disaster, and got legitimately trashed by critics, the ultimate cut does fix a lot of issues but it's a tough sell given how long the film is.

Justice League isn't a film.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody should go into this movie (and I mean NOBODY) expecting it to be any good.
This is an over-glorified director's cut.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
On your first point - to each their own

But it's way more than a standard directors cut. His version is fundamentally a different movie.

From what we know, only like 1/4 of the original cut ended up in final product

Yeah, I won't set myself up for disappointment.
I don't believe that the changes to this movie
are that significant.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. BvS is the worst film I've ever paid money to see. I'd watch JL any day of the week over that trash heap.

What? JL was terrible. I only saw the directors cut of BvS but I actually enjoyed it. I feel like Snyder get overly hated on honestly. It seems like ever since he made the overly bro-y 300, the internet turned against him.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snyder has a lot of good ideas too. =)

source.gif

I'll give you that. I loved that moment so much. Faora was amazing too. Her fights were exceptionally well designed.

I really don't know how we went from Man of Steel to Batman vs Superman. Is it because of Terrio? I understand he wrote the script of Batman vs Superman off a draft by Goyer, so maybe that explains it. It feels like everything that Terrio guy touches goes to shit.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
What? JL was terrible. I only saw the directors cut of BvS but I actually enjoyed it. I feel like Snyder get overly hated on honestly. It seems like ever since he made the overly bro-y 300, the internet turned against him.
Sucker Punch and him revealing he wanted to adapt The Fountainhead are what really started the hate from what I've noticed.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DC movies on era. They hate so much yet can't stop talking about them. Ever.

Anyway, I'd rather not see Darkseid appear in full force like that.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
www.ign.com

Zack Snyder's Justice League Reshoots Won't Involve the Cast - IGN

Upwards of 30 million will be spent finishing the film, but it won't go to new cast footage.

"There's not going to be any reshoots of any kind with any actors," Gonzalez stated. "It's just additional dialogue. Here's something that hasn't been reported yet - [Zack Snyder] did want to shoot and he wanted to do additional photography but HBO Max said no, that's not happening." "We'll give you money for post-production," Gonzalez added, "for special effects, for scoring, and even ADR but no reshoots of any kind on this movie."

Interesting.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The crazy post that Whedon ruined the movie? Darn he really elevated it to greatness with wonderful lines like "somethings definitely bleeding" and the Flash face plant.

Ofcourse you have no issue with his creep nature.

Also a short memory

I assume you're referring to what his ex-wife claimed? I'm not going to call someone a creep based on a he said she said situation between two people who used to be married.

Still not sure why you're bringing up their personal shit though.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
"There's not going to be any reshoots of any kind with any actors," Gonzalez stated. "It's just additional dialogue. Here's something that hasn't been reported yet - [Zack Snyder] did want to shoot and he wanted to do additional photography but HBO Max said no, that's not happening." "We'll give you money for post-production," Gonzalez added, "for special effects, for scoring, and even ADR but no reshoots of any kind on this movie."

Interesting.

what the hell, how will that work???

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting.

Which makes me puzzled why some people are insistent that this will be an entirely different movie.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Sigh... think of it like this. Zack shot 5 hours of footage for JL. Obviously he never intended for all 5 hours to be used in the movie, but probably close to 3 of it for sure. Now, out of the 2 hour theatrical cut, MAYBE 40-50 minutes was Zack's footage, the rest was reshoot or new footage from Whedon.

So yeah, we've only seen maybe 40-50 minutes of 5 hours of footage that Zack shot. He has the rest of it. That's what we're going to see. The movie will be different by default.

I never expected Zack to shoot more footage for this. I always assumed it would just be his version with finished CG and a new score. However, with the reveal that they're going to allow additional ADR, I now assume he's going to use that and maybe some full CG scenes to close out his trilogy and tie up any loose ends.

Oct 8, 2019
To me Snyder's problems are best encapsulated with Mercy Graves in Batman vs Superman
Mercy Graves kills herself to blow up the US Capitol. There is absolutely no justified reason for why she would do this but she does it. It doesn't make Lex look evil it just makes Lex look like a moron for killing his own assistant just to wheel a guy into a building.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
To me Snyder's problems are best encapsulated with Mercy Graves in Batman vs Superman
Mercy Graves kills herself to blow up the US Capitol. There is absolutely no justified reason for why she would do this but she does it. It doesn't make Lex look evil it just makes Lex look like a moron for killing his own assistant just to wheel a guy into a building.

I don't think we need to spoiler this, heh.

Mercy did not kill herself. Lex killed her. She had no idea she was about to die until she looked over to the empty chair. Lex didn't care about her. She was expendable to him.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh... think of it like this. Zack shot 5 hours of footage for JL. Obviously he never intended for all 5 hours to be used in the movie, but probably close to 3 of it for sure. Now, out of the 2 hour theatrical cut, MAYBE 40-50 minutes was Zack's footage, the rest was reshoot or new footage from Whedon.

So yeah, we've only seen maybe 40-50 minutes of 5 hours of footage that Zack shot. He has the rest of it. That's what we're going to see. The movie will be different by default.

So if the start of the movie is A
The middle of the movie is B
and the end of the movie is C

Snyder comes in and adds more scenes between A and B. And then add more scenes between B and C.

Isn't the story basically the same? Just padded out? Or are there say different plot lines? Does Flash run normally? Does Gal give a different line reading for "Kal-El, No."?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the two movies have merged to me. I think JL was the one that was somewhat watchable to me. Which one is the one with the candy scene in it thats the one I don't like.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
So if the start of the movie is A
The middle of the movie is B
and the end of the movie is C

Snyder comes in and adds more scenes between A and B. And then add more scenes between B and C.

Isn't the story basically the same? Just padded out? Or are there say different plot lines? Does Flash run normally? Does Gal give a different line reading for "Kal-El, No."?
I mean, yes, the top level story is probably going to end up being the same. Batman gets the league together to stop Darkseid/Steppenwolf, realizes they can't do it without Superman, resurrect him, team up and win the day. But that journey is going to be different and maybe better, maybe worse?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yes, the top level story is probably going to end up being the same. Batman gets the league together to stop Darkseid/Steppenwolf, realizes they can't do it without Superman, resurrect him, team up and win the day. But that journey is going to be different and maybe better, maybe worse?

Man when I read this synopsis it gets me pumped for a Justice League movie. :(

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
The real question we should be asking ourselves here is: What does this cut means for the DCEU at all?

The general plot seems to be going a different direction to Whedon's edit... So, if it ends up being radically different, will Snyder's version replace the original in canon? Or is it meaningless because the DCEU is soft-rebooting itself anyways?

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
The real question we should be asking ourselves here is: What does this cut means for the DCEU at all?

The general plot seems to be going a different direction to Whedon's edit... So, if it ends up being radically different, will Snyder's version replace the original in canon? Or is it meaningless because the DCEU is soft-rebooting itself anyways?

Probably this. With Reeves Batman coming out next year as well this won't fit in.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not really going to be as different as it sounds. Terrio worked with both Snyder and Whedon on the scripts, so the end result isn't going to change that much. Snyder will just remove the parts Whedon added that he doesn't like and replace them with whatever he can, whether it's unused stuff he filmed before or stuff filmed in Henry Cavill's bathroom.

I'm pretty sure a good 80~90% of the runtime will still be the same, once all is said and done. It's called the Snyder "Cut" for a reason.

He will definitely change the colour tones and the music and some scenes will be different or expanded, but the movie is still going to have the same awful story. Don't expect Darkseid to have more than a brief cameo or two, probably in a flashback scene Snyder filmed ages ago and a Thanos-style "sequel tease" at the end.

I wouldn't expect this to be "radically different" and the general plot isn't changing at all.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really going to be as different as it sounds. Terrio worked with both Snyder and Whedon on the scripts, so the end result isn't going to change that much. Snyder will just remove the parts Whedon added that he doesn't like and replace them with whatever he can, whether it's unused stuff he filmed before or stuff filmed in Henry Cavill's bathroom.

I'm pretty sure a good 80~90% of the runtime will still be the same, once all is said and done. It's called the Snyder "Cut" for a reason.

He will definitely change the colour tones and the music and some scenes will be different or expanded, but the movie is still going to have the same awful story. Don't expect Darkseid to have more than a brief cameo or two, probably in a flashback scene Snyder filmed ages ago and a Thanos-style "sequel tease" at the end.

I wouldn't expect this to be "radically different" and the general plot isn't changing at all.

The basic plot is the same.

But with much more room to breathe and introduce the characters.
And say what you want about Snyder but he knows how to frame and deliver action.

So we'll see.
Also they are not calling it the snyder cut but " Zach Snyder's justice league ".

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
At the very least, I hope this new cut is kept to a 2+ hour movie and not the mini-series idea being thrown around.

Length was never the issue with Justice League. And BvS wasn't the garbage that it was because there wasn't enough of it.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Justice League has character, even if the movie is pretty shit. Batman is better in Justice League, Superman is better in Justice League (in the final act at least), even Steppenwolf is better than Doomsday and they're both shit.

I can't think of a single redeeming quality about Batman vs Superman. The whole thing is just insulting, whether it's Doomsday, Lex Luthor or the jar of piss... So yeah Justice League is the better movie even if only because it has something going for it, whereas Batman vs Superman has nothing going for it at all.
Oh god I forgot the jar of piss and this film's self-serious tone 😂

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Of all the things to criticise in BvS how did you happen upon the one thing that did absolutely not happen? Lol

this is inaccurate in both the theatrical and the ultimate cut

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The basic plot is the same.

But with much more room to breathe and introduce the characters.
And say what you want about Snyder but he knows how to frame and deliver action.

So we'll see.
Also they are not calling it the snyder cut but " Zach Snyder's justice league ".

Unless the movie is about an hour longer or something, those characters aren't really going to have more room to breathe. That's kind of a problem intrinsic to an ensemble movie that introduces half its cast.

Whedon was fortunate enough with Avengers that everyone in it had already been introduced, except for Bruce Banner. That let him focus on giving the Hulk a proper introduction while the rest of the cast focused on building that chemistry that the entire MCU would be founded upon going forward.

Justice League having to introduce Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash while also establishing the mythology of the universe and the team chemistry was a terrible decision but I'm sure Snyder and Whedon both did their best with what they had.

I'll never get why Justice League wasn't held off until at least after Aquaman and Flash got their own movies first. At least then Justice League would've only needed to introduce Cyborg since everyone would already know who the other five members of the Justice League are.

But yeah, I just mean folks need to temper their expectations. We're going to end up with two versions of the same movie - one that's lighter in tone and with stronger themes and one that's darker and more violent - but I'm pretty sure most of the differences will be tonal, y'know? Removing a few funny or awkward lines here and there, adding new or extended combat scenes, changing the colour palette and musical score...

The biggest difference I can see happening is the flashback for Steppenwolf being replaced by a flashback for Darkseid and, at the end, Steppenwolf fleeing to Apokolips only for Darkseid to kill him for being weak or whatever and then musing about the Kryptonian.

The saddest part about the DCEU going kaboom is we will never get to see Superman free the rest of the Kryptonians from the Phantom Zone to help fight against Darkseid's army.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the movie is about an hour longer or something, those characters aren't really going to have more room to breathe. That's kind of a problem intrinsic to an ensemble movie that introduces half its cast.

Whedon was fortunate enough with Avengers that everyone in it had already been introduced, except for Bruce Banner. That let him focus on giving the Hulk a proper introduction while the rest of the cast focused on building that chemistry that the entire MCU would be founded upon going forward.

Justice League having to introduce Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash while also establishing the mythology of the universe and the team chemistry was a terrible decision but I'm sure Snyder and Whedon both did their best with what they had.

I'll never get why Justice League wasn't held off until at least after Aquaman and Flash got their own movies first. At least then Justice League would've only needed to introduce Cyborg since everyone would already know who the other five members of the Justice League are.

But yeah, I just mean folks need to temper their expectations. We're going to end up with two versions of the same movie - one that's lighter in tone and with stronger themes and one that's darker and more violent - but I'm pretty sure most of the differences will be tonal, y'know? Removing a few funny or awkward lines here and there, adding new or extended combat scenes, changing the colour palette and musical score...

The biggest difference I can see happening is the flashback for Steppenwolf being replaced by a flashback for Darkseid and, at the end, Steppenwolf fleeing to Apokolips only for Darkseid to kill him for being weak or whatever and then musing about the Kryptonian.

The saddest part about the DCEU going kaboom is we will never get to see Superman free the rest of the Kryptonians from the Phantom Zone to help fight against Darkseid's army.

The new runtime will be 4 hours.

Snyder knew everybody needed time so he shot all he could and the studios of course couldnt have that for a theatrical release.

Then because of budget timing and vfx requirements they cut half of it and Whedon reshot half of what was left.

They discarded the majority of Superman's and Cyborg's stories.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

This post is hilarious on multiple levels.

But anyway, as others have pointed out Mercy doesn't kill herself, the bomb was in the wheelchair.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
At the very least, I hope this new cut is kept to a 2+ hour movie and not the mini-series idea being thrown around.

Length was never the issue with Justice League. And BvS wasn't the garbage that it was because there wasn't enough of it.
Snyder's comment was that he'd assembled something 200+ minutes long. This does not mean the movie was actually going to be 3-4 hours - plenty of trimming happens along the way until they've actually soft-locked the edit.

That said, WB is probably way more interested in cutting this into a 6-part miniseries as rumored as that locks in people for their streaming service for 2 months.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
BvS is bad. But JL is actually unwatchable.

Is the hate train for Snyder that bad that people are gonna pretend like Justice League was good now?

JL is mind-numbingly boring. It's just such a nothing movie. BvS, on the other hand, is actively trying to pummel me into submission with it's terribleness. It's two very different kinds of bad.

At the very least JL didn't give me a headache, I guess? Also, JL is 30 minutes shorter than BvS's theatrical release. So it kinda wins by default.

Oct 8, 2019
I don't think we need to spoiler this, heh.

Mercy did not kill herself. Lex killed her. She had no idea she was about to die until she looked over to the empty chair. Lex didn't care about her. She was expendable to him.

Of all the things to criticise in BvS how did you happen upon the one thing that did absolutely not happen? Lol

this is inaccurate in both the theatrical and the ultimate cut

This post is hilarious on multiple levels.

But anyway, as others have pointed out Mercy doesn't kill herself, the bomb was in the wheelchair.

Excellent to know that Zack Snyder simply portrays Lex Luther as a complete and total moron who kills his must trusted adviser because he needed someone to wheel someone into a building and Lex only thought Mercy Graves and not some low level guy could accomplish that.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting.

hahaha movie magic. Not sure why people swear this is going to be totally new. Tell me how this is not a over glorified directors cut?

Excellent to know that Zack Snyder simply portrays Lex Luther as a complete and total moron who kills his must trusted adviser because he needed someone to wheel someone into a building and Lex only thought Mercy Graves and not some low level guy could accomplish that.

I always wondered about that. Dude has probably thousands of employees that could have easily done this, why her? Again, lack of respect for the source material.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
This whole scenario reminds me of The Excorcist: The Beginning fiasco when Paul Schrader was replaced by Renny Harlin and Schrader still released his "Dominion" cut a year or so later.

I don't remember Dominion being the better film. Hopefully Snyder and his 30 million allows for a better film.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Man only in hollywood could a white dude could get away with fucking up your cinematic universe then given even more money years later to come back and do it again.