• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Actor Orlando Jones who plays Mr Nancy has revealed that he was fired from the show in September in a video posted to Twitter

Transcript:
"On September 10, 2018 I was fired from American Gods there will be no more Mr Nancy don't let these motherfuckers tell you they love Mr Nancy, they don't. I'm not going to name names but the new Season 3 showrunner is Connecticut born and Yale-educated, so he's very smart, and he thinks that Mr. Nancy's angry, get shit done is the wrong message for black America. That's right, this white man sits in that decision-making chair and I'm sure he has many black BFFs who are his advisors and made it clear to him that if they did not get rid of that angry god Mr. Nancy, he'd start a Denmark Vesey uprising in this country. I mean what else could it be?"

He corrected himself saying he was fired this year, not last year

Jones called out Gabrielle Union, Nick Cannon, Heidi Klum and Mel B, adding that, like they have said, "Fremantle is a nightmare. They treated you like a 2nd class citizen for doing your job well. Stay tuned. More to come."

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty bad look for a show that's otherwise been surprisingly progressive. I'm not so sure Neil Gaiman will be that happy about this, either.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Nancy was by far one of the best characters, with Orlando never failing to deliver a powerful performance.

Taking his message at face value, this is disgusting and disastrous for a show already fraught with turmoil.

Jun 20, 2019
Not watched the show but by the book Mr. Nancy is a critical part of the story and a great character. What a terrible decision.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That's bullshit. He was fucking amazing on that show. Tell us the truth Anansi!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've worked with Orlando Jones in the past and he was great people. I was kinda star struck at the time.

I'll wait to see what the issues are because the show has actually been careful with race in story and had lots of amazing cultural representation. And because divorces are always messy.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was one of the highlights of this otherwise meandering slog and I thought his tone and rhetoric was great

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never bothered watching season 2 of this show despite liking the first.

Was it as big a shitshow as the behind the scenes drama made it seem like it was gonna end up being in the end?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I never bothered watching season 2 of this show despite liking the first.

Was it as big a shitshow as the behind the scenes drama made it seem like it was gonna end up being in the end?

It was fine. A lot of aimlessness. They've really run the road trip aspect of it into the ground, though I suppose that's cheaper than big set pieces. The funeral parlor bits were some of the best imo.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand. I haven't watched the show. Why did they drop the character?. Who are they appeasing?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. I haven't watched the show. Why did they drop the character?. Who are they appeasing?

He plays Anansi, the spider god that weaves stories. A lot of his stories involve racism and slavery. He's pretty pissed about how his people have been treated. I can see some being uncomfortable with that kind of truth to power character, though he was really one of the best parts of the show.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He plays Anansi, the spider god that weaves stories. A lot of his stories involve racism and slavery. He's pretty pissed about how his people have been treated. I can see some being uncomfortable with that kind of truth to power character, though he was really one of the best parts of the show.

I see. So it's appeasing white people uncomfortable with the reality of history and present racism.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
I really like this show but this is a big blow. The actor was killing and was certainly one of the highlights (along with Mad Sweeny).

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have gave up on this show after this past bullshit season.

With Orlando gone, that's just seals it for me.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I initially read this as Orlando Bloom and I was reeeeeaallly confused.

Absolute dog shit he got fired. Incredible actor and his character was amazing.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone not familiar with the character should watch his introduction speech

Great actor. Bullshit to fire him

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't even seen the show but the only thing I've ever heard is people talking about Mr. Nancy, saying he was the best part and showing me various clips of him. Seemed riveting.

If true, it's a bad move on the current showrunner's part.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Context for those of us who haven't read the book yet? I assume the character is still present later on in the book. This seems contrary to the messages in Gaiman's work.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
But seriously the only time i hear about the show is when shit is going to hell behind the scenes

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Context for those of us who haven't read the book yet? I assume the character is still present later on in the book. This seems contrary to the messages in Gaiman's work.
This is the message of Mr. Nancy in the second season.

Gailman even made a kinda sequel about his character, so cutting him is weird.

Last edited:

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck. I was really hoping for an Anansi Brothers with him in it.

Ditching his character tells me I shouldnt even bother with the show anymore.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He definitely was the best part of the show now that they killed off the other best part at the end of last season.

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone not familiar with the character should watch his introduction speech

Great actor. Bullshit to fire him

Can't view in my country(USA). I watched another video, but I think it's the same speech.

I never saw the show, but I just watched a Season 1 trailer and it looks good. I can't believe the cast. Ian McShane and Peter Stormare are favorites of mine, I like Orlando and I'm interested in seeing Crispin Glover. Dane Cook...idk.