• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I got my photo in the local paper alongside the original Darth Vader outfit in 1999. The experience really hammered home what a giant Prowse was.

Really wish I got to meet the man himself, because Vader's physicality is every bit as important as James Earl Jones' vocal performance in making Vader so memorable. R.I.P.

It just feels lime petty bullshit on LF's end, especially now considering how the ST leaked more than the fucking Titanic.

That's because it wasnt Lucasfilm's petty bullshit, it was very publicly George Lucas' petty bullshit.

Lucas got mad that Prowse publicly started disagreeing with certain decisions, then used an old interview to claim that banning Prowse from events was due to decades old "leaks."

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I got my photo in the local paper alongside the original Darth Vader outfit in 1999. The experience really hammered home what a giant Prowse was.

Really wish I got to meet the man himself, because Vader's physicality is every bit as important as James Earl Jones' vocal performance in making Vader so memorable. R.I.P.

That's because it wasnt Lucasfilm's petty bullshit, it was very publicly George Lucas' petty bullshit.

Lucas got mad that Prowse publicly started disagreeing with certain decisions, then used an old interview to claim that banning Prowse from events was due to decades old "leaks."

I just looked it up, he got banned for participating in the People v. George Lucas documentary that obviously didn't paint Lucas in a good light.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I just looked it up, he got banned for participating in the People v. George Lucas documentary that obviously didn't paint Lucas in a good light.

I have seen People V. George Lucas, and it didnt really paint the man in any light. It was more about the absurd impact one man had on pop culture and public discourse. It had segments from people who disagreed with him or despised his later contributions to Star Wars, and segments from people who took Lucas' side, including one of the writers on TCW who wrote a Jar Jar episode.

I'll have to watch it again, but I dont recall Prowse saying anything particularly harsh about Lucas in it.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
That's sad to hear, he was a really sweet guy. I met him at a London Comic Con a few years ago and we spent some time talking about his interactions with Kubrick, he said Kubrick was very nice to him.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's sad to hear, he was a really sweet guy. I met him at a London Comic Con a few years ago and we spent some time talking about his interactions with Kubrick, he said Kubrick was very nice to him.
RIP to David Prowse.

... But Kubrick drove Shelley Duvall to a mental breakdown to the point she needed therapy, her hair started to fall out, and ultimately found she couldn't act anymore.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got his autograph at the last official Star Wars Convention he was allowed at before they banned him. Alot of bad blood both ways. They accuse him of being a leaker on set which he denied. Then he was pretty vocal in his disagreements etc. which led to Lucas banning him outright.

Always seemed like a nice guy. He donated a ton of his convention money to cancer and arthritis charities.
He still did cons with a lot of the small part actors in the UK, like literally ones credited as 'Rebel with gun' or some such. I went to one a few years ago, it was just a small hall but they were all so cheerful and happy to be a part of Star Wars.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
RIP

I walked past him at a small nerd con, always took for granted that he'd attend those things for years to come.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lucasfilm released an article with a statement from George:

www.starwars.com

David Prowse, the Towering Figure Behind the Armor of Darth Vader, Passes Away

Lucasfilm remembers the actor who brought one of film’s greatest villains to life.

"David brought a physicality to Darth Vader that was essential for the character," Star Wars creator George Lucas said. "He made Vader leap off the page and on to the big screen, with an imposing stature and movement performance to match the intensity and undercurrent of Vader's presence. David was up for anything and contributed to the success of what would become a memorable, tragic figure. May he rest in peace."

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
RIP. So sad hearing about this. Even more sad to think we only have 3 of the core 9 actors from Star Wars: A New Hope still with us.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
RIP.

Warning to those seeking out his Twitter: it's run by a covid-denying trump lover. It's not him.
You sure about that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Prowse

Prowse publicly declared his support for the United Kingdom Independence Party in the 2009 European Parliament election: "I've looked right and left and right again and the only party I can safely vote for is UKIP," and "I have two messages for those considering how to vote. Firstly, stop, look and listen to what is being said. Only UKIP is actually telling us the truth about the European Union and why we need to leave it. Secondly, may June the fourth be with you" (the date of the election).

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
RIP to David Prowse.

... But Kubrick drove Shelley Duvall to a mental breakdown to the point she needed therapy, her hair started to fall out, and ultimately found she couldn't act anymore.

That is true and it was a shame to hear what he did to Shelly.
I don't necessarily agree with everything Kubrick has done, I was just stating what David told me about his time working with Kubrick on "A Clockwork Orange".