• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's dumb, I guess I'm just not concerned because I can't even buy the game until next month anyway. If everyone is so worried they can just wait to buy it until after reviews drop. Might even pick up a sale too. It doesn't hurt to wait. Then FromSoft can try a different publisher that's not going to reviewscum.

But yeah I don't think it's because of spoilers. It's Activision being Activision.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FROM has a story of releasing games in far-from-desireable states just in the Souls series: DS on PC, DS2 60fps+weapon durability bug on PC, Blighttown´s framerate on consoles, Bloodborne´s loading times before the patches...I hope that not sending reviews doesn´t mean we´re in for another disgusting surprise like these ones.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Looks like the speed runners will be getting the YT clicks then. No way journos will be able to finish before them.

Oct 25, 2017
FROM has a story of releasing games in far-from-desireable states just in the Souls series: DS on PC, DS2 60fps+weapon durability bug on PC, Blighttown´s framerate on consoles, Bloodborne´s loading times before the patches...I hope that not sending reviews doesn´t mean we´re in for another disgusting surprise like these ones.
I kind of hope it does, better having long loading screens or framerate issues than the game being trash.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
The previews are too positive for the game to be trash.

However, length and performance could both easily be issues. Perhaps it's only six to eight hours.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No early review copies is always a bad thing for customers. But then again, it's a From Software game so there's no reason to worry. Maybe there will be performance issue as usual but that's it.
Always reason to worry no matter who the dev is. There's a reason they don't want opinions in the wild before people could buy it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the speed runners will be getting the YT clicks then. No way journos will be able to finish before them.
Now that I think about it, there might be something to this. There's something to be said about youtube streamers and playing to their audiences to get sales over reviews.

Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine they are leveraging the Souls Influence community more than review sites for hype. They flew a bunch of them to Japan recently including the Lore video creators, LobosJR, Ella, etc. They likely view that as more important and worry sending it to review sites will be detrimental to the games reception... possibly due to extreme difficulty, or how short the game is.

Shitty regardless.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always reason to worry no matter who the dev is. There's a reason they don't want opinions in the wild before people could buy it.

Well they try their hardest hiding the twist about the game and the secret enemies werent allowed to be shown too. I guess it's really about spoilers too.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

However, length and performance could both easily be issues. Perhaps it's only six to eight hours.

It's an action game. It won't take longer than 20 hour, that a safe bet.

Performance being shit on console is also a safe bet.

It will definitely hurt the game long term if reviews proof anything to be a mess.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Unlikely

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/02/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-ps4-xbox-pc-length-size-playtime/

"We can't give a specific number of hours right now, but we think in terms of game volume, it's probably not going to be too different from our recent titles," said Kitao while speaking to VG 24/7. "Play-time is very nebulous, it varies from player to player with our old titles as well. Again with this game, in terms of development scope and what we're trying to create in terms of the world and variety – it's not going to differ too much."

Oct 25, 2017

I find that hard to believe, just due to the game's pace. The same amount of content that would take you 4 hours in a DMC game will take you far more in a From Software game, you have to stop and explore, go back to the hub, talk to NPCs, change your equipment, eavesdrop, bosses will likely take a few tries, all of that adds up time.

Hell, the way I play their games, 6 to 8 hours I'll probably be in the second or third area at most, not enough time to ramp up the stakes and get to the endgame.

Unless it's literally unfinished and ends abruptly.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
wonder what microtransaction bullshit activision has stuffed in there
"There are no plans for microtransactions in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice," the PR representative, Wiebke Vallentin, told COGconnected over email. Vallentin also said that the "In-game purchases optional" blurb on the PlayStation Store page seemed to be "an erroneous tick box" and said that this was going to be fixed.​

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how people can defend this, even if it's From Software. They're deliberately creating asymmeteical information here which has no benefit for the consumer.

"It's my favourite developer, therefore, I must find the silver lining to everything".

There is no silver lining here. It's a shit decision, full stop.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I can imagine they are leveraging the Souls Influence community more than review sites for hype. They flew a bunch of them to Japan recently including the Lore video creators, LobosJR, Ella, etc. They likely view that as more important and worry sending it to review sites will be detrimental to the games reception... possibly due to extreme difficulty, or how short the game is.

Shitty regardless.
Almost all major outlets have given out early impressions for the game. EZA, IGN, Gamespot,polygon. Even metro uk which is one of the source of this news.
And they have already mentioned the game will be as long as their previous titles so there is nothing to worry about length.
I can see the reason being extremely difficulty. Nevertheless the decision is just dumb. I am sure the game will be great though.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Could it be possible that FROM might send review copies to Japanese outlets? Where they're self publishing?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the defense force here, really.

Sending out early copies is great for everyone. (or possibly: great for many, and - at worst - irrelevant for some)
Those relying on reviews can make a somewhat informed purchase decision even on day 1 and experience the game - spoiler free - just like everyone else. And those who don't care about reviews and are buying it due to From's pedigree can just ... buy the game on day 1 as well.

How is there any disadvantage to giving reviewers access? Why would one defend this practice, even if it's by a beloved studio?!
Let's not normalize this shitty m.o. just because it's a studio many of y'all really really like.

Spoilers don't ever really come from review copies but from copies sold prior to official release - so this wouldn't prevent any of those...

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah there's no good reason why they shouldn't give reviewers a week long headstart.

Like someone else said, this is a good tactic to establish day 1 review copies as the norm to prevent reviews before launch for bad games or predatory microtransactions.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Strange if true. With Bethesda, it was a publisher-wide decision for all of their games, whereas other times games aren't sent out because they're trash.

None of these are (presumably) the case with Sekiro, and they're not doing it to save money as they've just flew a load of people to New York for previews. Very odd indeed.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are going to be some half arsed reviews for this, then again some outlets have absurdly low requirements for how much a reviewer has to actually play before putting their thoughts into words so might not make any difference.

Plus editors at the big outlets are likely just going to manipulate whatever their reviewers write anyway for those clicks.
Where'd you come up with this conspiracy theory?

Just because games you like are bad games that get bad scores doesn't mean that most reviewers don't do a proper job in reviewing games. Stop trying to discredit games journalism and reviews, it only helps pubs make bad games.

Oct 29, 2017
Not a good sign... But then again, if it was going to be absolutely littered and ruined by microtransactions, Activision would be more likely to shove them in after the game's release anyway...

... unless it's just so integrated into the experience that they can't hide it any other way...

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Not a good sign. Glad I wasn't planning on picking it up day 1 because this would've killed that for me.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love Souls games to death, i have no doubts the game will be fantastic and i still think this is a shitty thing to do. I don't understand why would anyone think this is positive for consumers.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
This makes me a little worried only because we thought that Bungie was a safe publisher to trust and that the reason for no Destiny review copies was the online nature of it. I do think FROM is a way better developer than Bungie, but it's hard when we just got burned by the same thing from Activision.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There have been plenty of games that have had no early reviews that end up great.

Not concerned at all unless early impressions start tiling negative.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Wow even in review threads there will always be someone who brings in their thoughts on Breath of the Wild lol.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Already said it in the other thread but as much as I love From and I'm sure the game will be really good and I'll be there day 1, it's not a good look for them and I think it's the wrong decision. I say this with every dev and From shouldn't be different as much as I love them.

If it's Activision doing the point still stands, but please take out the love talking from my post lol
I agree with this. I don't think it's wise to hold onto "From Software, nothing to worry about." They're fallible people who can experience rough times and projects like everyone else. I don't wish it upon them, but it's almost unfair to expect perfection every time lol.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't buy this game until those reviews drop. You're not gonna get my money while keeping me uninformed.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I personally have never enjoyed a From Software game, and this is not a good signal.

Although, I know nothing about this game, except the name of course.

Oct 25, 2017
What did that poster say that's so absurd? Action games are rarely more than 20 hours (if ever?) and From Software games, while good, usually have some technical issues.

What's wrong with 20 hours though? I didn't really get that post. And while From's games had technical issues in the past, they still reviewed extremely well.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
I AM HERE TO OVERREACT.

Weird move Activision, weird move.
Lucky me I ain't gonna need a review for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.