• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Not great, but there was just a preview event, maybe they thought that would be enough.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It'll be an Activision restriction, I didn't preorder Sekiro because Activision put a shipping restriction on Spyro and I got it two days after release so I expect the same thing to happen to Sekiro.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Honestly speaking, and sorry for the double standard post but, I couldn't care less what reviewers say about this game. The moment I saw it, I knew I was always going to buy it.
My hope is that it will run well. Other than technical issues, I am not worried about this game delivering a great experience. But that's just me.

exactly the same for me

Hm makes me wonder about game length.

same as Bloodborne or DSIII without DLCs

BotW terrible? It's possible you just have bad taste in games.

sure, what is critically acclaimed HAS to be liked by everyone or what the heck are you implying? don´t judge about my taste in games without knowing what i like or not like. BotW sucked for me and other people, even if you can´t imagine it. it was a major disappointment for me personally.

Last edited:

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
I'm seriously baffled by people defending this. It's always a bad thing, even when the game in question is from a beloved studio. "Less spoilers" argument is just ridiculous.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It's not about whether any individual needs or benefits from having a review before launch. It's about transparency and how review outlets fit within the greater marketing dynamic. Good or bad, reviews have their place in keeping consumers informed.

A vast majority of reviewers, if not all, are professional enough not to leak or spoil games.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
lol, after Breath of the Wild reviews i wouldn´t trust any reviewer anyways because that game was terrible and got crtitical acclaim. when you play long enough you don´t give a shit anymore about reviews. i´ve played games deemed terrible that were awesome and i´ve played games that were hailed as the second coming of jesus and they just sucked.

did you guys see the marketing? they held the game very close to their chest till yesterday, 14 days before release. they don´t want to let people get spoiled, not after the Bamco disaster of releasing the japanese DSIII three weeks earlier than the western version.
People's talent to sneak BOTW in unrelated conversations never ceases to impress me.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No early review copies is always a bad thing for customers. But then again, it's a From Software game so there's no reason to worry. Maybe there will be performance issue as usual but that's it.
Even with a vast history of hits, there are misfires tho
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/steel-battalion-heavy-armor
https://www.polygon.com/2012/10/19/3526578/steel-battalion-heavy-armor-review-emergency-ejection (The only time I've seen a 1/10 on their old scoring)

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
50 MC confirmed.

*pre-orders Days Gone instead*

:)

i do agree it's kinda shitty of publishers doing this for highly anticipated games tho. If you are worried, don't pre-order games.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think when people refer to From in this context, they're specifically talking about the Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro team, which this is.

They've gone... 89 -> 89 -> 92 in terms of metacritic scores, which is pretty absurd.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just wait for reviews and era's impression then.
I'm always wary of any game that comes out at the end of fiscal year, unless I see devs super confident with demos and good media coverage.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
They don't have the same working culture at all. Like you can see with this move from activision.

If FROM wasn't happy with Activision they wouldn't have gone back to them, but the truth is that they did.
We don't even know for sure this is all Acti, all From, both...

Honestly, Activision haven't been so bad with this game. You guys rather have Namco Bandai fuckery again lilke with DS3, where the game got delayed 1 month on the West for no reason while they gave keys to streamers that leaked the shit out of the game?

It sucks but From needs a publisher for the West no matter what.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Not a problem for me. Given the developer and the kind of game it is I feel fairly confident it's going to be great. Same as RDR2 (to me anyway!), didn't need a review for that to know it's a day one purchase.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a massive From fan, Sekiro's demo is the best thing I've played in years and I still think this is utterly shit to do.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
After a big preview event so close to launch, which has been really positive too, I don't think there's any need to worry about Sekiro, especially when it's a From Software game.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying this is good is talking shit and letting their FS fanboyism get in the way.

Irrespective of how this ends up reviewing, this is the kind of scummy shit publishers pull to obfuscate/withhold pro-consumer information for launch.

If you support or handwave this I better not see you in topics about EA/Ubisoft calling them out for similar shit.

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why they would do this. I wonder if streamers will have access to it before the release date?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
huh, it's From Software so I don't care. Game will rock.

Edit: lol at people getting angry about that. Game already looks great in the previews.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Really amazing how something that is inherently a bad thing can be justified as a great thing by those who have it pre-ordered and are fans of the company. This should be a cause for suspicion and maybe wait and see instead of placing blind trust in a developer?
For real.

Idk what Acti are playing at, they talked a big talk about how they could not pass up a chance to work with Fromsoft and then they do this. Not sure if this is an internal corporate decision or if they are not 100% confident in the game but now that they have done this it is only gonna cause tongues to wag.

Between this and that stupid, STUPID decision by Bamco to give every guy with a face cam and a youtube channel a copy of DS3 an entire month before paying customers, it seems From are destined to be marred by some dumb pre release shenanigans for their games.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
4u826ekgkk6y.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
For real.

Idk what Acti are playing at, they talked a big talk about how they could not pass up a chance to work with Fromsoft and then they do this. Not sure if this is an internal corporate decision or if they are not 100% confident in the game but now that they have done this it is only gonna cause tongues to wag.

Between this and that stupid, STUPID decision by Bamco to give every guy with a face cam and a youtube channel a copy of DS3 an entire month before paying customers, it seems From are destined to be marred by some dumb pre release shenanigans for their games.
I think it's what a poster mentioned earlier in the thread, where they're using a game they know will review well to Trojan horse in a blanket 'no reviews pre-release' policy or whatever. Then later they can be like 'nah, it's not a decision indicative of game quality at all, we just think blah blah'.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Good, Miyazaki has more than earned my trust on this being something special.
Nothing you typed justifies why this is "good". It's only negative for consumers.

Just like if they never allowed any hands on preview events before release. Which they didn't but for some here I expect it'd be the same response of its "good" just because you like the dev and anticipate the game.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If FROM wasn't happy with Activision they wouldn't have gone back to them, but the truth is that they did.
We don't even know for sure this is all Acti, all From, both...

Honestly, Activision haven't been so bad with this game. You guys rather have Namco Bandai fuckery again lilke with DS3, where the game got delayed 1 month on the West for no reason while they gave keys to streamers that leaked the shit out of the game?

It sucks but From needs a publisher for the West no matter what.

Yea actually they didn't do much at all, so they couldn't be that wrong right? I trust from but I absoluty dislike activision.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What I wonder if Famitsu review will be delayed or not too, From self-publish there..

Not like Famitsu reviews mean anything lol

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't care for me I'm all in, although now you guys make me wonder about performance as I'm getting it for regular PS4. worst case scenario, I made it through years of PS3 Blighttown!

But in general its unfortunate, not everyone who's thinking about buying the game is a FromSoft-nut, and I want to read reviews of games when I'm in that position of wanting to know more about a game before I buy it. It has to impact sales, it has to.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's not good for those who wait for reviews to decide whether or not they are going to buy the game.

I don't care about reviews at all though (for any game that is). Sekiro is already pre-ordered and I will be there day 1.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't care less. I don't base purchases on reviews -- certainly not for Miyazaki games.

Jun 26, 2018
I trust FromSoft to make a good game, but boy am I glad I didn't preorder Sekiro.

This is such a negative PR move to make just before launch, so fucking baffling.

Did they learn nothing from Bethesda?

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
What a shit decision. It's surely going to be one of the top reviewing games of the year and they're passing up on that?

Whether it's Activison or From, you're dumb

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever, I don't need to play day one. I'll wait for impressions and reviews first and might buy later.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just Activision being Activision. Bethesda did the same with DOOM as well, right?
Yes and I remember IGN Podcast shitting on Doom on their midweek released podcast because they hadn't been allowed to play the game before it's release on the upcoming Friday.
Game was releasing in like literally 2 days and they were like "oh, doesn't look good. Only bad games don't let us see them before launch".

I stand with Acti here.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
One of the streamers was posted dates, when preview embargo ends and he was allowed to upload whole playthrough of the game day before release. I wonder if their plans have changed in last second?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that with it being FromSoft -- and particularly Miyazaki -- it's more than likely still great, but this is still some bullshit, if true.

I mean, it's whatever if people feel like they don't need any info before launch, but that doesn't mean others should be denied it.

Status
Not open for further replies.