• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

"The patents potentially reveal how data tracking is used by a developer to acquire and transform your player's activity, playstyle and more - insight that has thus far has remained elusive.

"The premise behind their Virtual Coaching System (VCS), mentioned in the patent, is to merge players of similar abilities into the same lobby, with the hope that player will enhance their skillset through in-game feedback."

"Within one of the patent applications, it states: "Stored statistics are analyzed to determine one or more of the player's traits. Determined traits are used to determine the player's playstyle," which implies that more than in-game metrics (such as kill-to-death ratio) are tracked to measure player behavior."

"For example, the Reddit user points out that the patent monitors player strengths/weaknesses based on (and not limited to): how player's respond to scenarios, changes in strategy in response to scenarios, usage of weapons, etc. In short, the tracking system develops a profile of player traits to better map how players will respond versus opponents of a similar profile. Meaning that (in theory), the game's servers should place you in a lobby with players who exhibit similar tendencies."

"According to the Reddit user, the system culminates data on basic in-game parameters (such as kills, deaths, damage per minute), all the way up to how a player navigates a map (such as movement speed and area covered).
After all data is monitored, it is lumped into an algorithm that calculates "various models for different games/levels/modes/contexts of what statistics/traits are important to being successful within each playstyle."

"Alongside gathering player data for the benefit of 'player improvement,' Activision have hinted towards eyeing the potential for matchmaking models to influence player behavior outside of the game. As stated in patent three, "Conventional systems further fail to leverage matchmaking processes in other contexts, such as influencing game-related purchases."
By this logic (and hypothetically speaking, of course), the Reddit user points out that players could be matched with individuals who have purchased in-game cosmetics in a bid to entice them to fork-out themselves."

So disclaimer for all of this is that just because these patents exist, doesn't mean they're in use for MW or other Activision games.

Mar 29, 2018
On paper, why not?

Better than putting players in uneven matches where they will win or lose too much, or not develop.

But I would say sometimes having a few wins does a lot for your skill in terms of confidence.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I swear COD is the only shooter were people complain about skill-base matchmaking

Oct 27, 2017
Before everyone comes running in here without having played the game, the sbmm is too strict in MW. Many people have laid out clear and respectful posts on the matter.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
According to an insider, Activision forced SBMM into MW as a way to get people to buy MTX. And it's working. A youtuber bought a bunch of MTX in a video and got weird matchmaking right after where he got placed into lobbies with bad players.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
According to an insider, Activision forced SBMM into MW as a way to get people to buy MTX. And it's working. A youtuber bought a bunch of MTX in a video and got weird matchmaking right after where he got placed into lobbies with bad players.

That literally sounds like the most ridiculous speculation I've heard in ages.
Buy MTX and we will match you with noobs?
Sounds legit

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the concerns about SBMM in MW but this is pure conspiracy nonsense. They're not even officially confirming that SBMM exists, why would they link it to MTs? This would only work if they told you they were doing it.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's more about the statistics that show that if new players get stomped/have bad games, it will be less likely for them to stick with the game.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the concerns about SBMM in MW but this is pure conspiracy nonsense. They're not even officially confirming that SBMM exists, why would they link it to MTs? This would only work if they told you they were doing it.

The theory behind it was that players would be outmatched by players who spent more on cosmetic items, I suppose to convey the idea of 'If you want to be more like them maybe you should spend too'.

There needs to be more research before an accusation of a mechanic like that being implemented. I think I vaguely remember Activision having a patent on a similar idea though.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
The theory behind it was that players would be outmatched by players who spent more on cosmetic items, I suppose to convey the idea of 'If you want to be more like them maybe you should spend too'.

There needs to be more research before an accusation of a mechanic like that being implemented. I think I vaguely remember Activision having a patent on a similar idea though.
Yep, from 2017
Activision being Activision it honestly wouldn't surprise me. But without further testing, I doubt that they've implemented it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I see the piece about MTX. But I do honestly feel that the SBMM in MW, though consistently challenging, has helped to improve my skills overall.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
A youtuber tested it. He bought a load of MTX and then got weird matchmaking right after.

His name is PrestigeIsKey.
For something like this to be valid it needs to be on a larger scale than just a single persons experience (or even a few people) as it's a fairly serious claim. His video proved that after buying MTX he had weird matchmaking that =/= proving that he got weird matchmaking BECAUSE he bought MTX. Correlation does not imply causation.

On the subject of SBMM it has positives and negatives but I feel the positives tend to outweigh the negative when the system is well implemented.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I don't see how matching players with similar playstyles is fun. Surely having a variety of playstyles makes for more interesting matchups.

I wish there was more information in this patent. Skill-based matchmaking systems are so interesting but there isn't a lot of public documentation about how it works for the big multiplayer games.

RustedEdge

Aug 17, 2019

tfw you don't see a problem because you're the bottom tier of players that sbmm caters to, so you're literally unaffected. the above average players play people just like them or better and they're running the best setups, so there's no room for counterplay if you're using say, the uzi or the pp90.

but you can stay blind to the other side.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
tfw you don't see a problem because you're the bottom tier of players that sbmm caters to, so you're literally unaffected. the above average players play people just like them or better and they're running the best setups, so there's no room for counterplay if you're using say, the uzi or the pp90.

Maybe you're just not very good at it?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
So the only solution is to let better players shit on bad players because they hate playing with people who try too hard?
Yeah wtf lmao, SBMM in casual isn't for the benefit of the good players, it's for the casual playerbase so they don't get shit on every match.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yeah wtf lmao, SBMM in casual isn't for the benefit of the good players, it's for the casual playerbase so they don't get shit on every match.
You always see people complain about the viewpoint of sweats vs sweats but never about how noobs feel getting curbstomped all the time.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

I don't even play the game but nice attempt at posterizing lmao.

LOOK OUT PEOPLE WE GOT A GAMING WARLORD

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
So the only solution is to let better players shit on bad players because they hate playing with people who try too hard?
So instead you get punished for being too good, constantly matched against people who have guns and perks unlocked that you do not until you get knocked down to lower skill matches, at which point you get bumped back up and the cycle continues. It's a good system in theory and a bad one in practice. You can actually feel it working in the background. Do poorly one match on PC? Next match you're playing against a lobby of full console players. Do well there? Welcome back to the sweaty league.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Usually it's not but the design of the game promotes really slow, campy and cheesy gameplay styles which are not like any COD since COD 2.
Technically, couldn't the tech very easily track how much these players move and just match-make campers with other campers? Effectively solving the issue completely lmao.

Granted there are a few instances where camping makes sense, like being a sniper etc, but then again once you hit people with actual skill, a camper's gonna get fucked repeatedly. (I'm not there yet myself and campers will wreck my ass in pretty much any game)

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
So instead you get punished for being too good, constantly matched against people who have guns and perks unlocked that you do not until you get knocked down to lower skill matches, at which point you get bumped back up and the cycle continues. It's a good system in theory and a bad one in practice. You can actually feel it working in the background. Do poorly one match on PC? Next match you're playing against a lobby of full console players. Do well there? Welcome back to the sweaty league.
So who's better to punish, the better players or the lower skilled players?

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I swear COD is the only shooter were people complain about skill-base matchmaking

it only the High level players and streamers complaining because they hate having to go up against like skilled players as it doesn't make for great viewership when there's no stakes to play for. Pubstomping apparently makes for much better viewing and it's an issue that gets brought up in any game that happens to have solid matchmaking that takes more than just your overall rank into the equation.

I lose respect for every high level/pro gamer that does this for the sake of views to their streams/channels. It obviously doesn't help that most of their viewerships think they are actually just that good when they pubstomp simply because outside of tournaments and scrims, they never seereal high level play.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
it only the High level players and streamers complaining because they hate having to go up against like skilled players as it doesn't make for great viewership when there's no stakes to play for. Pubstomping apparently makes for much better viewing and it's an issue that gets brought up in any game that happens to have solid matchmaking that takes more than just your overall rank into the equation.

I lose respect for every high level/pro gamer that does this for the sake of views to their streams/channels. It obviously doesn't help that most of their viewerships think they are actually just that good when they pubstomp simply because outside of tournaments and scrims, they never seereal high level play.
That's been a Huge issue in League for a long time now, and Riot's been working on making the MM system tougher as a result.

More skilled players will always complain about matches never being fun due to it being a even fight (Plat/Dia vs Plat/Dia for example) and everyone tryharding, but honestly I'd prefer even matches where people actually feel like they didn't waste their time than going into a game with a bunch of beginners and just obliterating them. It's neither fun for me nor the people I play against.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I don't even play the game but nice attempt at posterizing lmao.

LOOK OUT PEOPLE WE GOT A GAMING WARLORD
This post is 10000x more immature than the one you're quoting. That poster actually has an opinion on the subject and even though people might not agree with it, it's contributing to the discussion. In your case, you're just detailing it. But I find it hilarious how THIS gotcha post of yours precedes your complaining of gotcha posts..on the same page....like come on. Try harder.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
This post is 10000x more immature than the one you're quoting. That poster actually has an opinion on the subject and even though people might not agree with it, it's contributing to the discussion. In your case, you're just detailing it. But I find it hilarious how THIS gotcha post of yours precedes your complaining of gotcha posts..on the same page....like come on. Try harder.

The fact is that instead of detailing how they feel in a levelheaded manner they not even slyly made insults So I'm going to give them the same level of respect.

Last edited: