• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Activision is going to go bankrupt if they don't release a cod on Switch at this point.

Imma pour one out for them.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're not as disappointing as say Capcom but it is still disappointing that CoD isn't on the Switch. It'd obviously sell very well, in the right circumstances. It's hard to commend them when their biggest franchise is absent.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
As far as I know the development of the latest CoDs is a continuous clusterfuck for some reason, so I doubt they could also handle a Switch reason.
Also, Activision seems to push CoD primarily to microtransactions which probably don't sell very well on the Switch.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
They can just make a Modern Warfare version of this classic.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping Nintendo or Activision would announce a Call of Duty game on the Switch in yesterday's direct, but they did not. And at this rate it's very unlikely the Switch will get a Cod game between October and the end of the year.

So, what is up with Activision? We haven't had a CoD on a Nintendo console since 2013 with COD Ghosts. I could understand back then they stopped supporting the Wii u, since it wasn't selling that great on it, but the Switch is selling at the rate of the Wii right now, and nearly all the cod games were selling between 1-2 million.

They already skipped 2017 and 2018, and for them to skip this year when they know how much the switch is selling is crazy. Even having Cod4 Remastered or Call of Duty Mobile on Switch would likely easily sell over a million. Why aren't they stepping up? They are losing millions in profits they could have from one of the top selling franchises. The switch needs more AAA 3rd party support, and it will be $$$ for Activision.
This is an Infinity Ward year and their past disdain to work on Nintendo hardware is well known (Modern Warfare would never run on the Wii! Beeing a reason for the game skipping it initially despite CoD 3 Wii outperforming the PS3 version)

But maybe it actually is a ressources issue but I would believe it more for CoD 2020 since that's the troubled one.

My guess is if Overwatch (a pure GaaS game) performs well, expect CoD games to appear on the Switch a few months down the line

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
As far as I know the development of the latest CoDs is a continuous clusterfuck for some reason, so I doubt they could also handle a Switch reason.
Also, Activision seems to push CoD primarily to microtransactions which probably don't sell very well on the Switch.
IDK why this keeps been repeated. Hi-Rez Studios only make freemium games and the Switch seems to be doing well for them since they are porting everything to it and even announced that version for their next game first.

They tried that with Call of Duty Vita. For whatever reason, the franchise doesn't lend itself well to outsourcing.

I don't think that Vita should be used an example of anything.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
People are seriously trying to argue that it wouldn't sell well?

But yeah this is the answer:

Shortage of resources, I'm assuming. They're already having trouble managing the existing versions of COD, adding a new SKU to the mix is probably out of the question for now.

For whatever reason they seem to have stretched themselves thin regarding CoD over there past couple years. It's probably just unfortunate timing as far as the Switch is concerned.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I wouldn't be interested in COD on Switch personally (I'd get it on PS4), but it is strange there isn't any COD representation on the platform at all

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
They can easily outsource it to another studio, like they did with both Wii and Wii U.
CoD games on the Wii/Wii U weren't outsourced really. They were given to Treyarch to port on their off year, but in CoD's current dev cycle, all the devs seem to have trouble getting the game out finished even within 3 years so I doubt Treyarch has time for that now since their next game was moved up a year due to Sledgehammer's game not meeting Activision's standards

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Capcom has released *all* of the existing RE games on switch with the exception of 7. A new Mega Man, Mega Man collection, Mega Man X collection, DMC 1 and 2, Dragon's Dogma, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, and a Monster Hunter with another rumored on the way. That's poor support??

As has been shown multiple times above, Activsion has been supporting pretty well, too. Just not with COD. I suspect that they looked at the audience, measured interest vs resources to port, and cost benefits and calculated that it just made more sense to do something like Overwatch. Blizzard has had an interest in bringing that game over for at least a year. Activision would probably use those resource to make sure that COD Mobile launches strong.

I'm a Switch guy that would rather play COD on switch. After playing BLOPS 2 on Wii U, portable became my preferred way of playing. Yes, I own a PS4. That said, i can totally understand why there's no current COD game announced yet. At this point, though, I'd be happy (as would many fans) with a port of the Wii U Blops2.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Activision culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Capcom where you can become successful by porting last gen games. If you screw Switch owners over with Call of Duty, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is Switch owners, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Call of Duty on the other consoles, nor will they purchase any of Activision's other games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Activision has alienated the entire Switch userbase with this move.

Activision publicly apologize and and bring Call of Duty to Switch or you can kiss your business goodbye.
This is what I clicked on this thread for

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
For whatever reason they seem to have stretched themselves thin regarding CoD over there past couple years. It's probably just unfortunate timing as far as the Switch is concerned.

This seems likely. Also, at the same time NateDrake teased CoD for Switch there were also very strong rumors of another remaster coming. And that such remaster got cancelled in favor of CoD BR. I say that the Switch CoD got killed there.

Aug 26, 2018
I was really hoping Nintendo or Activision would announce a Call of Duty game on the Switch in yesterday's direct, but they did not. And at this rate it's very unlikely the Switch will get a Cod game between October and the end of the year.

So, what is up with Activision? We haven't had a CoD on a Nintendo console since 2013 with COD Ghosts. I could understand back then they stopped supporting the Wii u, since it wasn't selling that great on it, but the Switch is selling at the rate of the Wii right now, and nearly all the cod games were selling between 1-2 million.

They already skipped 2017 and 2018, and for them to skip this year when they know how much the switch is selling is crazy. Even having Cod4 Remastered or Call of Duty Mobile on Switch would likely easily sell over a million. Why aren't they stepping up? They are losing millions in profits they could have from one of the top selling franchises. The switch needs more AAA 3rd party support, and it will be $$$ for Activision.

Well, if COD can run on mobile devices, then I don't see why they wouldn't put the 2020 on Switch considering how well the Switch is doing.

Overwatch, Spyro, Diablo are all on the Switch though, so Activision clearly has not ignored Switch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
What about outsource the Switch version like Bethesda and Ubisoft are doing? It can't be that hard for a Company like Activision
Activision in general has moved away from outsourcing and prefers to let their inhouse dev groups handle everything. Blizzard did bring in Iron Galaxy to help with their Switch ports though.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Maybe after Beenox have finished the PC port of MW they may port a CoD of some description to the Switch (just a guess).

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
You have to spend money to make money. Everything is a risk there is no guarantee. I would not risk porting an engine to a console that isn't designed to handle it to have the game sell nowhere near as well as it does on the Xbox or the PlayStation.

Even if porting engine to Switch would mean you could port/release multiply games that could sell each over 1m?
That sound like missing opportunity than anything else, I mean there is reason why Switch has Fifa, NBA, Diablo 3, Overwatch, Fortnite, Rocket League, Doom, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, Witcher 3, Dragon Quest 11...CoD game would do quite nice on Switch even it wouldnt sell on pair with XB1/PS4.

yeah cause they really going to spend the money to downgrade an existing game to release it on switch to probably not even make a profit on it.

Than why plenty of other companies bringing some of their big games to Switch?
And yes, they would easily make profit with CoD on Switch.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
I think Activision has been pretty good. We got Crash, Crash Team Racing, Spyro (playing it right now on Switch, and it is excellent to have the remake on the go), Skylanders, Diablo 3, and Overwatch. I would love COD Mobile and a remaster of one of the older Modern Warfare games but beyond that they have supported the system well.

EA is by far the worst in terms of Switch support. They don't seem to look at IPs that have good potential on Switch like PvZ (both the shooting games and the traditional tower defence ones) and The Sims 4.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
From what we have heard development for Modern Warfare (2019) has actually gone very well but the reasons it's not on Switch are likely due to scale.

Now as impressive as it is that the Witcher 3 is coming to the Switch, they likely don't want to abandon their 60 FPS promise and more in compromising. This year CoD will have 64 player matches, and modes that will go up to 100 players. Not BR mind you where everyone is split up, but actual modes where these 100 players are all in a concentrated area. I have no doubt FPS will be quite iffy on Non-X/Pro systems.

Not to mention graphically this year is a big step up for CoD as well which hasn't exactly been the most technically impressive in awhile.

I'm still scared for the file size. The Alpha that was just the 2v2 mode and 5 tiny maps was over 30gb.

For a Switch downgrade they likely would also have to consider removal of features.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Activision has been pretty good. We got Crash, Crash Team Racing, Spyro (playing it right now on Switch, and it is excellent to have the remake on the go), Skylanders, Diablo 3, and Overwatch. I would love COD Mobile and a remaster of one of the older Modern Warfare games but beyond that they have supported the system well.

EA is by far the worst in terms of Switch support. They don't seem to look at IPs that have good potential on Switch like PvZ (both the shooting games and the traditional tower defence ones) and The Sims 4.
EA hasnt even bothered to make a star wars game for Nintnedo platforms despite SW and the Nintendo fanbase having a long history

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Activision culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Capcom where you can become successful by porting last gen games. If you screw Switch owners over with Call of Duty, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is Switch owners, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Call of Duty on the other consoles, nor will they purchase any of Activision's other games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Activision has alienated the entire Switch userbase with this move.

Activision publicly apologize and and bring Call of Duty to Switch or you can kiss your business goodbye.
I came here looking for this and was not disappointed.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This OP makes no sense...there isn't a COD on Switch for the same reason Destiny isn't there or Battlefield or any other major AAA shooter. They would have to make and support a totally different version for a market that simply isn't into competitive FPS games. Any game that has a Switch port is because it has older graphics or doesn't take much to support the size of the smaller fan.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

Came here for this.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Overwatch is a trial balloon. There are reasons why you wouldn't necessarily flood the Switch with Multiplayer shooters. And I wonder how much market crossover there is between people who are Switch only and people who want to play COD.

Also, isn't this a little bit like port-begging?

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017

OMG murder

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Why does the publisher have the obligation to release games on the switch? If they think it is not much profitable to release a certain game on a particular console it's their choice.

This is a silly question. it is not about an obligation, it is about a market's opportunity.

Switch is one of the hottest selling gaming devices worldwide, you would think a mainstream series like Call of Duty would be a very good and natural fit for this device.

Not even the new games, but something like CoD4 Remastered will sell very well.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
You have to spend money to make money. Everything is a risk there is no guarantee. I would not risk porting an engine to a console that isn't designed to handle it to have the game sell nowhere near as well as it does on the Xbox or the PlayStation.
Takes time to build a fanbase within an audience that has thus far been largely ignored. Of course it won't sell as high as other versions, especially out the gate. But the tree will never grow to fruition if they don't even bother planting the freaking seed.

Oct 26, 2017
They should just do what Ubisoft is doing; remaster the PS360 games with all DLC included, even as solo releases.

Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 2 are most ideal and are the fan favs IIRC. Add the same stuff from BO2 and Ghosts Wii U (touch support, gyro-aiming) and BOOM!

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019

lol

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Than why plenty of other companies bringing some of their big games to Switch?
And yes, they would easily make profit with CoD on Switch.

Okay so if they could easily make a profit with CoD on switch, why don't they do it, OP? What is your running theory?

I bet it isn't worth it to them, development and support costs detract from the development and support of their other games in development.

You are not considering the all of the costs involved with this. And asking why plenty of other companies are doing switch releases should tell you that it is probably easier for them to do so than activision.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Activision is good at making money, they clearly know what they are doing. If they through they could make a big profit with CoD on Switch, they would have released a version of the game by now.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
They should just do what Ubisoft is doing; remaster the PS360 games with all DLC included, even as solo releases.

Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 2 are most ideal and are the fan favs IIRC. Add the same stuff from BO2 and Ghosts Wii U (touch support, gyro-aiming) and BOOM!

That would be ideal. Maybe also release COD Mobile on the eShop.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day) - Unneeded Hostility
modern warfare ran on a modified UE2 engine which even at that point a ps2 could run, MWR isn't a remake with the same backend, it's a remake from the ground up

This is not a valid excuse to dismiss it tho. It would sell well on Switch, this is no Wii U.

They tried that with Call of Duty Vita. For whatever reason, the franchise doesn't lend itself well to outsourcing.

CoD games on the Wii/Wii U weren't outsourced really. They were given to Treyarch to port on their off year, but in CoD's current dev cycle, all the devs seem to have trouble getting the game out finished even within 3 years so I doubt Treyarch has time for that now since their next game was moved up a year due to Sledgehammer's game not meeting Activision's standards

Activision in general has moved away from outsourcing and prefers to let their inhouse dev groups handle everything. Blizzard did bring in Iron Galaxy to help with their Switch ports though.

This is just corporate apologism bullshit. If Bethesda, Ubisoft, Warner and other are able to port some of their AAA stuff day and date for Switch, like Starlink, Wolfenstein, Doom Eternal and MK11, there's no valid excuse to justify Activision, one of the richest and most powerful publishers in the biz, can't. Especially by saying they don't have the resources for it. If small studios with really limited resources are able to provide solid ports of high demanding games for Switch, I honestly find very difficulty to believe one of the biggest players in the biz can't.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

That's exactly what they were doing as MW2 remaster was rumored even rated. But obviously something happened and MW2 remaster is canned. I bet that remaster even was slated for Switch release.

Wonder what's going on at Activision studios and what's causing these problems.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay so if they could easily make a profit with CoD on switch, why don't they do it, OP? What is your running theory?

I bet it isn't worth it to them, development and support costs detract from the development and support of their other games in development.

You are not considering the all of the costs involved with this. And asking why plenty of other companies are doing switch releases should tell you that it is probably easier for them to do so than activision.

Could you care to explain to us how costs weren't an issue for Bethesda, Ubisoft and Warner to port Wolfenstein, Doom Eternal, Starlink and MK11 for Switch while can be for Activision, one of the most powerful and richest companies in the biz?

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think as a whole they're actually providing good support:

Skylanders Imaginators
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Diablo III Thhe Eternal Collection
Overwatch Legendary Edition

It's just their non-Blizzard AAA titles missing really. Call of Duty is a glaring omission.

Yeah. Aside from the lack of Call of Duty, Activision's support for Switch has been way better than expected.

Overwatch and Diablo III were big gets for Switch.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's becoming kinda odd that we didn't get a COD on the Switch yet indeed. A "simple" Black Ops 1-2 or Modern Warfare 1-3 collection would sell gangbusters already, they wouldn't even need to go for the newer games.

Robert

Nov 15, 2017
I don't see a 'mainline' title making it's way over to switch but I could see Call of Duty Mobile on the Switch.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I agree with you. No COD at this point makes no sense. Hell, Ubisoft canned AC series on Wii U but now is back on trails for Switch.

They can easily outsource it to another studio, like they did with both Wii and Wii U.

I would say until unity, syndicate, origins and odyssey come over, AC is not actually on switch. Because for all we know AC 3/4/rouge and liberation could be the last.