• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The "RIP Blizzard" hot takes are as silly as ever, but I'll definitely agree that not having Overwatch 2 ready for this year feels baffling. They've got to do more heroes between now and whenever OverWatch 2 launches next year right? Feels like the game's been on standby for a while.

Jun 15, 2020
I'm disappointed too, but ya'll are acting like everyone's not still having the develop from home. Shit is effected. The amount of big games that haven't been delayed by it could be counted on one hand.

Last edited:

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind me asking, what was it like (if you're allowed to say)?

Obviously I'm only speaking to my own experiences.

Loved the people I worked with, and the work I did was satisfying (worked in operations, not direct dev), but after 2018 everything slowly started to fall apart until my morale hit a point so low that I started looking for a way out.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
This is a company that literally just abandoned their game (OW) with no content, for almost a year while they are working on OW2... Nothing surprises me with Blizzard. They clearly don't know what they are doing.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Loved the people I worked with, and the work I did was satisfying (worked in operations, not direct dev), but after 2018 everything slowly started to fall apart until my morale hit a point so low that I started looking for a way out.
Damn, I can understand why you'd want to leave. At least you did a lot & met a ton of people along the way.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Anyone surprised? We're still in covid and those are big games plus cyberpunk was a disaster. Expect this OFTEN

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Im not surprised about D4, but I suppose OW2 got impacted by covid maybe? For an update that got announced with gameplay in 2019 its pretty far out.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Damn. I picked up Overwatch right around the time Ana was introduced (July 2016) and quit around the end of 2018 because I was completely burned out from it. It's crazy to think that it's going to be the same thing for yet another year. Current Overwatch players have got to be feeling exhausted.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uhm wat.. Lego expected to release new Overwatch sets for 2 already last winter iirc. This would be a huge delay

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
We knew for Diablo 4, not even 2022 was a realistic expectation but it was a bit weird to announce it in 2019 with a playable demo if the end product will be drastically different. I want D4 so bad but I believe in Vicarious Visions for D2 Remake.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Diablo was never gonna come out this year, but I'm shocked OW2 isn't this year. Maybe they ended up making it more ambitious than when it was announced, cause it definitely had a "large expansion" vibe to it.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
That is what I am saying. The footage they showed must have been SUPER early
Diablo IV is 2023, maybe 2024. I still don't even understand what Overwatch 2 is supposed to be. Just new maps and heroes?

Hopefully we'll get TBC and new Classic realms for WoW this year as well.
Man, how is Overwatch 2 not ready for 2021? Is it secretly way bigger than when they first showed it? 'Cus that thing straight up looks like a few content updates with a 2 slapped on it.

Did everyone miss the large PvE campaign announcement and Blizzcon footage for OW2? The talent trees and level system? The modifiers found in loot chests during gameplay?

tracertalents-1024x576.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Add covid on top of that and you expect them to finish this sooner than 2022?

Jun 15, 2020
Damn. I picked up Overwatch right around the time Ana was introduced (July 2016) and quit around the end of 2018 because I was completely burned out from it. It's crazy to think that it's going to be the same thing for yet another year. Current Overwatch players have got to be feeling exhausted.
They should play other games for awhile and come back later. This goes for every GaaS, people get too angry about them when they're making the choice to play one thing.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I didn't expect D4 to come out this year, but I assumed OW2 would, even if in the latter part of the year. That'sa huge bummer to read.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Disappointed that Jeff is stuck with Overwatch. Dude was all about MMOs before and after joining Blizzard. If only Project Titan didn't get cancelled. sigh.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Unbelievable how Blizzard has mismanaged the Overwatch IP
How...
Covid has probably impacted it and we realistically don't know how much content is being put into the game. We could be potentially getting more new characters and maps then people expect.
Watch 2022 when the game comes out and people are going to have the opposite mentality

data west

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way Overwatch ever comes back to its launch numbers much less have the cultural penetration they were shooting for it to have.

What a joke of a company.
How...
Covid has probably impacted it and we realistically don't know how much content is being put into the game. We could be potentially getting more new characters and maps then people expect.
Watch 2022 when the game comes out and people are going to have the opposite mentality
They were having issues well before COVID. They even said not to expect much from events because they were focused on OW 2. And if they aint spending that much time on events they sure aren't going to churn new heroes out.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I just hope VV gets the chance to do right by the DII remaster. After that it's probably time for Blizzard and I to go our separate ways.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
They should play other games for awhile and come back later. This goes for every GaaS, people get too angry about them when they're making the choice to play one thing.
I don't know if it's anger or anything like that. It's just the type of game where your rank or your non-ranked SBMM becomes baked in after a while, so it's a huge disadvantage to take time off keeping your skills up or not keeping up with the current meta. A week off from Overwatch is a punishing day when you return, which is the opposite of fun IMO. It's tough, because you just have to keep at those kinds of games or you run the risk of becoming the worst player in your SBMM lobbies.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Current Overwatch players have got to be feeling exhausted.

Honestly, not really. Sure the content slowing down kinda sucks, but the game is in a good spot right now in my opinion and is fun to play.

Of course its not the only game I play, so I can take a week break and come back and still have fun. I've been playing a lot of Valorant recently as well which balances it out.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
There has to have been some major issues during Overwatch 2's development. It's obviously been in dev for a while. I wonder if the fact that it's potentially launching on PC, Switch, Xbox One, PS4, Series S/X and PS5 has anything to do with it.

Jun 15, 2020
I don't know if it's anger or anything like that. It's just the type of game where your rank or your non-ranked SBMM becomes baked in after a while, so it's a huge disadvantage to take time off keeping your skills up or not keeping up with the current meta. A week off from Overwatch is a punishing day when you return, which is the opposite of fun IMO. It's tough, because you just have to keep at those kinds of games or you run the risk of becoming the worst player in your SBMM lobbies.
Maybe these people should look in in the mirror and say, "It's ok to play games for fun. I'm not gonna be the world's next eSports superstar."

Jun 15, 2020
How...
Yep, it's gonna be fine. People running around like Chicken Little because development was slowed DURING A PANDEMIC are very annoying.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Maybe these people should look in in the mirror and say, "It's ok to play games for fun. I'm not gonna be the world's next eSports superstar."
Well that's what I'm talking about with non-ranked SBMM. It's not about becoming an eSports superstar. If I took a month off from Warzone and dropped back in, I'd still be in my Platinum & Diamond lobbies, getting absolutely dominated by people that I was once on equal footing with.

I'm with you on playing games for fun, but getting dunked on for hours isn't fun either.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I stand by my recent Diablo-related guesses.

Diablo Immortal (surprise?) release at Blizzcon in two week
Diablo 2 Remake somewhere between Late 2021-Spring 2022
Diablo IV maaaybe Late 2022, but probably Spring 2023

I thought for sure we'd be getting OW2 this year though, so I dunno.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I just hope this means OW2 is being given time to be made bigger and better.

The fact you were there for six years says a lot. It's just a shame things had to change for the worse.

Where did you land post-Blizzard?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Well that's what I'm talking about with non-ranked SBMM. It's not about becoming an eSports superstar. If I took a month off from Warzone and dropped back in, I'd still be in my Platinum & Diamond lobbies, getting absolutely dominated by people that I was once on equal footing with.

I'm with you on playing games for fun, but getting dunked on for hours isn't fun either.

I think OW has the advantage of not being totally reliant on mechanical skill, and a lot of being good comes down to decision making. Its why I think coming back from a break doesn't hurt your level of skill that much.

The non-ranked SBMM is somewhat loose, so you're going to get a range of players anyway. You get a much better selection of players than no matchmaking, but not as narrow as ranked.