• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
A reformed Universal Background Check bill which was gutted in hopes of being able to pass the senate (which it probably wont anyway). The only real change is it makes private sales illegal without going through a background check.

The big problem with this is that its nearly impossible to enforce without a registry and even then thats mainly to trace the weapons back AFTER theyve been used. Nearly all (or all as far as i can find) indiscriminate mass shootings were already done with legally purchased guns through an FFL or they stole the weapons to do it. And even then if they do get the guns traced back and the weapon was made prior to the bill (of which therre would be 400+ million already in circulation) they can just say they sold it legally before the law passed and absolved themselves and no one would really know. In the case of more targeted cases (like the gang and drug wars) they tended to have either made them, stole them them selves or they bought them from someone who already stole them or broke the law in some way to get them.

Yeah, I read through it and it seemed shitty. Thank you for the insight.

We gotta start somewhere tho; I told my senator this bill wasn't enough. Either we start trying to make changes or start moving out of the country or stop caring. I see those as the paths ahead.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get these takes. Do they want them to just stop and shoot him in the face? That's not how our justice system works.

The beltway snipers? I'm not disputing a disparity exists. I understand the comparison being draw, but not everything is proof positive.
That is your take away? Really?
No one wants him dead. It is showing how when it is a black man they fear him but white is fine.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Hundreds of thousands of people dead from Corona and America is back on its near-daily bad-day bang bang shoot shoot like nothing changed. It seems like no event can stop the norm or sensitise people to the value of life.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Before that congressional representative Gabby Giffords was shot in the head and sustained permanent brain damage. Like it was said though it's hard to imagine much change happening if even sandy hook didn't lead to anything.
It's the same reason criminals won't be deterred by jail I think.

These incidents are viewed as not common enough for people to really fear them themselves.

And as we all know, if we don't see it happening often enough, or to ourselves, or both, America treats it as if it doesn't exist.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hundreds of thousands of people dead from Corona and America is back on its near-daily bad-day bang bang shoot shoot like nothing changed. It seems like no event can stop the norm or sensitise people to the value of life.

Yeah absolutely fucking shameful. Always has been and continues to be.

For all the extolling of the value of life this country has given me, it has in reality done a serious fuckup-poor job of actually living up to that value in its real attitudes and actions, past up to the present.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
If Sandy Hook didn't change anything nothing will.

Unfortunately, this is my thoughts too. it's so disheartening that so many horrible shooting can happen, yet nothing comes from it.

and when the talk about changing gun laws happens then, just like clockwork, we're gonna have the 2A idiots thinking it's about taking everyone's guns away.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is exactly right. Sandy Hook was as bad as it gets.

And nothing changed. Americans are just betting it won't happen to their kids.
Sandy Hook happened in a very pro-gun environment where NRA were the kingmakers. NRA is now nothing but a front for Russian money laundering and intelligence gathering. If gun legislation comes, it will pass. Manchin will bitch and moan but will fall into party line.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I get that this is developing, but this might be the worst police press conference I've ever seen.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's the same reason criminals won't be deterred by jail I think.

These incidents are viewed as not common enough for people to really fear them themselves.

And as we all know, if we don't see it happening often enough, or to ourselves, or both, America treats it as if it doesn't exist.
They're not viewed as common enough because there's not enough actual data to verify whether or not it's common enough. There's not enough data because bodies that normally collect data aren't collecting enough. The bodies aren't collecting enough because certain members of the legislature won't let them.

CDC has sought to do in depth studies on the prevalence of gun violence and mass shootings, but the usual suspects have worked to prevent them from doing such a thing for years now.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of taking questions from the press here if they're literally answering nothing? Just skip that part.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
They're not viewed as common enough because there's not enough actual data to verify whether or not it's common enough. There's not enough data because bodies that normally collect data aren't collecting enough. The bodies aren't collecting enough because certain members of the legislature won't let them.

CDC has sought to do in depth studies on the prevalence of gun violence and mass shootings, but the usual suspects have worked to prevent them from doing such a thing for years now.
They're viewed common enough as a reason that the right uses them as an example of why they need guns on them while out and about and common enough where the left uses them as examples of why we need stricter gun laws. I don't know many people who think they're so uncommon we need no change at all though I guess those people exist somewhere.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
The fact that they won't confirm how many died is making me think its more than six sadly. They also said that only one person (the shooter?) is in the hospital.

I hate this shit.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Not to mention Republicans and conservative pundits keep trying to twist the definition of a mass shooting.

They keep using the definition of a mass homicide, 4 or more people killed, and then saying that mass shooting numbers are inflated.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say the lack of information makes me think this was so, so bad. Worse than we have heard so far.