• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Don't know about this exact chart, but there seems to be a few resources showing similar information that were updated more recently. Try:

www.politico.com

The gun lobby: See how much your representative gets

Republicans consistently get the most money.

www.opensecrets.org

Gun Rights Recipients

See aggregated party breakdowns and incumbency status of recipients of contributions from Gun Rights industries/interest groups for every election cycle from 1998 to 2024.

I don't think that money really matters. It is such a small amount. I think they keep the gun rhetoric up because they know it is a wedge issue that will drive votes consistently.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Tucker Carlson found the real reason behind everything:

Makes perfect sense because none of these shootings happened before Covid.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
The lack of detail we've received from the authorities thus far regarding the minute-by-minute timeline makes it clear they know it's going to look very bad for them, and they're preparing a typical "protect the blue" story to try to cover their own asses. It'll be everyone's fault but the cops' that he was in there for an hour despite them reportedly being on the scene from the start.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Republican's solution is to turn our schools into supermax prisons.

bf786590-c35b-4208-a4aa-53325429cbaa.jpg

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
The lack of detail we've received from the authorities thus far regarding the minute-by-minute timeline makes it clear they know it's going to look very bad for them, and they're preparing a typical "protect the blue" story to try to cover their own asses. It'll be everyone's fault but the cops' that he was in there for an hour despite them reportedly being on the scene from the start.

Yes. They had some bootlicker on Andersoon Cooper earlier who was making excuses for the local pigs - some shit like 'they didn't have the training' and 'they had to wait fro the appropriate task unit to showup'

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah I was trying to relay some of what I'd been gathering today about the story, but there was a lot of stipulations about how much of it is still fuzzy. I know this is developing, but I'm surprised we don't know more about the timeline of events that actually occurred like you're saying. Super sketchy.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
If the shooter wasn't wearing body armor then that's quite the revelation. There was an entire skirmish outside the school and the police couldn't land a single shot?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017

So, unless you can actually click that link and confirm the quote in the second tweet, maybe we shouldn't post stuff like this from randos on Twitter. Yeah?

Because googling that information, the ONLY ones pushing it are this guy and Shaun King.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Also, honestly, the excuse "he had body armor!!!" is terrible anyway.

If anything it protects his vital organs in his chest for MAYBE 3-5 hits. Even then, those hits are gonna hurt. So if they hit him in the leg, arm, head, stomach, etc. it would have easily incapacitated him. Even if he did have body armor, it's doesn't make him nearly as invincible as people are making it sound.

Also depending on the guns the cops have, it likely would have punched right through the armor anyway. High caliber body armor is quite expensive and it's unlikely he would have the kind that could withstand more than a 9mm or something.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Before I share this with others, is there a more recognizable source that verified cops got their own kids and left?

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, but I want to be sure.

I just looked into it.

The twitter user sources the NYPost for the quote and I can confirm it's in the article but there is little context provided and it's weird that the attached picture is Uvalde High School. NYPost sources a 6-hour youtube video featuring a press conference earlier today and I scrubbed around a bit, but wasn't able to verify the quote.

This is the article: https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/texas-shooter-shot-whoevers-in-his-way-in-school-police/

Police officers rushed into the school to get their own children out of the school, he added.

"There was some police officers, families trying to get their children out of the school because it was an active shooter situation right now, it's a terrible situation right now," Olivarez said.

The quote is from a DPS lieutenant, and I would say from the way it's transcribed, people (and the article) are misinterpreting it. The preceding line misconstrues the direct quote. The quote is saying families were there with police officers trying to get their (the families') children out. That lines up with earlier reports that cops were breaking windows to get other children out of the building.

staff post - don't post unverified information

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
So, this should go without saying, but random posters on Twitter ARE NOT valid news sources. Straight up, they aren't.

If a reporter is talking about their own reporting, work they've done themselves, that's one thing. But we all need to understand that every single dipshit on Twitter is going to be trying to use this horrible tragedy to get likes and retweets and grow their own following and as we all know, nobody on Twitter is above pushing bullshit in order to make that happen.

So, again, please be responsible when posting information and don't take Twitter randos at face value.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Also, honestly, the excuse "he had body armor!!!" is terrible anyway.

If anything it protects his vital organs in his chest for MAYBE 3-5 hits. Even then, those hits are gonna hurt. So if they hit him in the leg, arm, head, stomach, etc. it would have easily incapacitated him. Even if he did have body armor, it's doesn't make him nearly as invincible as people are making it sound.

Also depending on the guns the cops have, it likely would have punched right through the armor anyway. High caliber body armor is quite expensive and it's unlikely he would have the kind that could withstand more than a 9mm or something.
so you're trying to tell me body armor doesn't shoot back?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
so you're trying to tell me body armor doesn't shoot back?
It's fair to be concerned if a shooter is well armed (which he was) and armored. But it's not that much more concerning than just a assailant with a gun. The body armor excuse falls pretty flat. It's MAYBE 1-2 get out of jail free cards if you get hit in the chest/back. After that it doesn't matter much.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
It's fair to be concerned if a shooter is well armed (which he was) and armored. But it's not that much more concerning than just a assailant with a gun. The body armor excuse falls pretty flat. It's MAYBE 1-2 get out of jail free cards if you get hit in the chest/back. After that it doesn't matter much.
im just picturing them yelling "HE HAS BODY ARMOR. RETREAT!!!"

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cops aren't trained for this but Rs wanna hand guns to teachers to stop school shootings. Fucking geniuses.
Police are constantly militarizing tho. They should be able to handle this. The fact that every time this shit goes to trial and every time supreme court rules cops aren't obligated to protect anyone should tell you all you need to know. These fuckers are worthless bullies.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

"Go in there! Go in there!" nearby women shouted at the officers soon after the attack began, said Juan Carranza, 24, who saw the scene from outside his house, across the street from Robb Elementary School in the town of Uvalde. Carranza said the officers did not go in.

Javier Cazares, whose fourth grade daughter, Jacklyn Cazares, was killed in the attack, said he raced to the school when he heard about the shooting, arriving while police were still massed outside the building.

Upset that police were not moving in, he raised the idea of charging into the school with several other bystanders.

"Let's just rush in because the cops aren't doing anything like they are supposed to," he said. "More could have been done."

"They were unprepared," he added.

I fucking can't. "Good guy with a gun" narrative being destroyed again and again by this one shooting alone.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
At this point the only thing that will affect US gun laws will be an entire generation of kids with first hand experience with mass shootings growing up to finally vote the change in.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I get training where cops come and shoot at me with a nerf gun while I flip desks over and throw beanbags at them, yet those same cops aren't even willing to enter a building to stop a shooter despite having tons of military equipment. Alright.

If the cops are too afraid to confront a shooter despite having massive arsenals, perhaps it truly is the access to guns that is a problem.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I have a sister who's about to enter 5th grade next year and it will also go back to being all in-person. Granted Hawaii hasn't had any school shootings, although we had like two scares back when I was even in High School, but still this shit scares me.

Fuck all cops, ACAB, and fuck every single Republicans too and anyone who's pro gun.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I get training where cops come and shoot at me with a nerf gun while I flip desks over and throw beanbags at them, yet those same cops aren't even willing to enter a building to stop a shooter despite having tons of military equipment. Alright.

If the cops are too afraid to confront a shooter despite having massive arsenals, perhaps it truly is the access to guns that is a problem.

Ya think?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Any headline that describes "the gunman who shot children for 40 minutes" is incomplete without beginning "police watched from safety."

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
www.texastribune.org

Teachers in other states are striking. Texas teachers can't do that.

Texas state law says that teachers could lose their teaching certificates and pensions if they go on strike.

States that do have (effective) unions should absolutely be organizing walkouts though anytime a school shooting happens, even if it isn't in their own state.
I'm a union teacher in another state and would absolutely support it. Sadly the union has been silent.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Threadbanned (permanent): thread derail
We need to have a proper discourse on this site about whether it's time to allow discussion about political violence. I dont see a way to stop the mass murder of children and minorities in this country without the sustained, targeted and nationwide use of violence against GOP elected officials. I wish the political system worked, but Im done burying my head in the sand, voting is pointless for real change and I'm tired of murdered kids. Nothing will change without violent revolution against the GOP in this country. Nonviolent means have failed, it's time for other options.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is hard to watch... but Everyone should watch it. The GOP should have to wake up every morning watching this and many others who are victims to their inaction.
the majority of the politicians are a bunch of sociopaths so they won't care. only thing that matters is holding on to their little bit of power.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
User Threadbanned (permanent): thread derail
We need to have a proper discourse on this site about whether it's time to allow discussion about political violence. I dont see a way to stop the mass murder of children and minorities in this country without the sustained, targeted and nationwide use of violence against GOP elected officials. I wish the political system worked, but Im done burying my head in the sand, voting is pointless for real change and I'm tired of murdered kids. Nothing will change without violent revolution against the GOP in this country. Nonviolent means have failed, it's time for other options.
giphy.gif

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think that money really matters. It is such a small amount. I think they keep the gun rhetoric up because they know it is a wedge issue that will drive votes consistently.

Yeah, again, people want to blame the money, but in this situation, it really is the voters who are the problem.

Like, some restrictions would pass in a nationwide referendum, but some of the stuff people on this thread, including myself want, would go down in flames, especially after a sustained campaign.