• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could cryogenically freeze myself and wake up in a better future sometimes lol

Nov 5, 2017
nothing we can do about that

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Why is common sense so fucking difficult for these fools to understand? Children are dead because an 18 year old had access to a fucking machine gun and decided to do something this horrific. You'd think you wouldn't want this to never happen ever again but the thing is, they aren't personally affected by it so fuck the victims. They blame everything else except doing what you were put in office to do. Fuck them and their "thoughts and prayers." Absolutely disgraces.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing Rubio or Cruz or any Republican politician is saying is done in anything resemble good faith. There's no sense in directing responses or asking them questions. There's no sense in trying to figure out their thought processes or challenging them. They aren't interested. They're just trying to toe the line.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Nothing Rubio or Cruz or any Republican politician is saying is done in anything resemble good faith. There's no sense in directing responses or asking them questions. There's no sense in trying to figure out their thought processes or challenging them. They aren't interested. They're just trying to toe the line.
Yep

Oct 27, 2017

It's strange this is where the concession is, that you can't prevent it 100% and therefore there's nothing that can be done.

Why not just apply that to all criminal law?

Oh, that's right, because it's not about perfection, it's about choosing the best way forward. Ban assault rifles. This event likely would have never happened had these weapons not been available for him to purchase.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Are all republican politicians in America pro gun rights? Are there none who are like "im republican but im for stricter gun laws" or is it "if you're red you are automatically pro gun"

you'll have a fair amount of moderate Republicans who are for "common sense gun control," but they will always vote for candidates who want the 2A to be as unfettered and intractable as possible, so it's all moot.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This country is so so broken. I don't know how I'm not supposed to give into total defeatism at this point. So many things are getting worse so fast and I just don't know how any little citizen like us is supposed to change anything. How many more votes do I need to do to deconstruct the disgusting gun fetishism culture in this country? Or the engrained racism of the deep south? How the fuck do we fix any of this? How much longer do we have to grin and bear it, simply waiting for the good times to come?

Jesus fucking Christ. Fucking pathetic country. Repubs do not give a SHIT about ANY OF US.

Oct 25, 2017
Can we have the top half? The bottom half is going to get toasty over the next few decades, and the Republicans don't seem to care about that either.

Do the West Coast and the North East call themselves one Country, each be their own Country, or just become the lower SW and SE of Canada? Also, I'm in PA, so I'd be worried that we'd become part of Jesusland, and not the newly formed enlightened society. 50/50 chance if I'm being generous.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Tell me if I'm crazy here:
  • Treat guns like they are cars:
    • Require gun training school/classes. Tests are state-run much like driving tests. There is a fee associated with taking the test.
    • Guns need to be individually registered and you have to pay an upkeep cost for each one you have to the state each year. This is to prevent stockpiling a massive amount of guns.
    • If a crime is committed with a gun registered under your name you are just as criminally liable.
    • Require gun insurance?
I basically just want to make it prohibitively expensive to own more than a gun or two and if you really want to own them that money goes back to the state for increased budget/spending. I know this wouldn't happen but it is one system that I would think is more acceptable if not a complete gun ban.
Personally, I think being criminally liable for a gun registered under you is not realistic considering someone could beat you up, steal it and use it. I get the logic, but it could lead to some very terrible abuses very quickly. I'm thinking of revenge type motives, etc.

Overall though, I agree, there are reasonable laws to pass. But they won't happen. Because the GOP doesn't want them to.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How can someone accept lobbying blood money from the NRA at this point. The second amendment is worth more than second graders huh.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This is the truth. And people need to realize it.

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think being criminally liable for a gun registered under you is not realistic considering someone could beat you up, steal it and use it. I get the logic, but it could lead to some very terrible abuses very quickly. I'm thinking of revenge type motives, etc.

Overall though, I agree, there are reasonable laws to pass. But they won't happen. Because the GOP doesn't want them to.

No reason it couldn't work like cars. If you report the gun stolen, it's no longer yours. Make it the police's job to find the person who stole it and get it out of their hands.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How can someone accept lobbying blood money from the NRA at this point. The second amendment is worth more than second graders huh.

Like I said earlier, the NRA doesn't give THAT MUCH money out. What the NRA really gives Republicans is voters. The NRA is extremely good at mobilizing their extremely stupid supporter-base to vote for pro-gun candidates. That's the NRA's secret sauce, NOT their lobbying money.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said earlier, the NRA doesn't give THAT MUCH money out. What the NRA really gives Republicans is voters. The NRA is extremely good at mobilizing their extremely stupid supporter-base to vote for pro-gun candidates. That's the NRA's secret sauce, NOT their lobbying money.
Seriously, people don't seem to get this is the issue with them.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't a reporter follow up with the question "Damn no reason to have any laws then?"

Gotcha questions will never work on these ghouls. They'll just ignore the question or reply with a pithy "that's clearly not what I meant and you're twisting my words to further your political agenda. Doing so right after a tragedy like this. You disgust me"

They have a script and they follow it closely.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I hope there are millions of people in the streets protesting this weekend. There has to be.

Those Orcs(R) in office are absolutely greedy, vile pigs, and will never change as long as their trough is full.

Power to the fucking people.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
No reason it couldn't work like cars. If you report the gun stolen, it's no longer yours. Make it the police's job to find the person who stole it and get it out of their hands.
Yah, that works. In fact, a lot of states already require this. You have 48 hours to report it stolen or you incur a fine and are likely looped into the investigation.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
It is fucked up and infuriating that so many Americans are so devoted to their interpretation of one sentence on a 300-year-old rag that they don't mind children being slaughtered. These people are sick.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so fucking sick of hearing the dumbass "it won't fix the problem" line!

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK IF IT DOESNT FIX THE PROBLEM!

We don't need a fucking fool proof fix. We just want something, anything that will improve the problem!

Even if it reduces the amount of shootings by 1 that's at least fucking something. That's a handful of lives saved by taking some fucking action. And those lives will be worth whatever dumb fucking inconvenience these assholes bitch about.

God damn fucking dipshits in this fucking country! Why isn't that the immediate response to any fuck face that says that stupid ass line in any interview.

Sick of this shit!

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Conservative radio is interesting to listen to after events like this. They just had a caller suggest a solution is to harden all the schools and make them like Israel with bulletproof doors and windows and posting guards dressed in military fatigues at every door with assault rifles on display and that because we had billions of dollars for COVID we can afford all of this. I'm pretty sure hardening all the schools and paying for that stuff is going to be more than what masks cost.

🤡

Now sometime just said COVID is to blame.

JFunky

Oct 27, 2017
California
Fuck Rubio and the rest of them for the bullshit "it's still gonna happen even if we ban ar15's" excuse. So why are they banning books at schools? Kids can still get them other places. Why are they trying to ban abortions? Women can just go elsewhere Oh that's right because they believe restricting access means it's less likely to happen! What a shock.
Ban ar15's and similar weapons
Background checks for everyone
Raise the age to own ANY gun to 25
These are the least they can do but I sadly expect nothing.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Conservative radio is interesting to listen to after events like this. They just had a caller suggest a solution is to harden all the schools and make them like Israel with bulletproof doors and windows and posting guards dressed in military fatigues at every door with assault rifles on display and that because we had billions of dollars for COVID we can afford all of this. I'm pretty sure hardening all the schools and paying for that stuff is going to be more than what masks cost.

🤡

Then they monsters move to more places of worship and retail stores, and then the next, until all of society is one large security line and we can't even live normal lives anymore but at least we have our guns and freedom!

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
My wife has friend that is friend's with someone that works for a funeral home handling the bodies of several of the deceased children. She said a lot of them are unrecognizable and she spent last night crying for rather obvious reasons.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

🤡

Because they want a Christian fascist country with armed guards everywhere. When that happens, they'll do whatever they want. That's the ultimate goal.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't any point trying to reasonably approach the lies that Republicans use to excuse themselves here because they don't use words to convey a meaning, they use words as a tool to achieve a purpose.

When Rubio says that there will always be violent crime, it doesn't matter that the actual implications of that idea are that guns are completely useless because they simply elevate the level of violence involved in said crime rather than reducing the crime itself. The point is that Rubio doesn't want to reduce guns and wants kids to die, and he knows that this claim sounds good enough that it allows him to evade the obvious discussion while presenting the image that he actually cares. These words are chosen because they perform that function.

To reiterate a bit, I don't think Republicans don't care about kids dying. I think they actively want it to happen. They stand to benefit from a culture of fear, both in terms of votes and in terms of wealth through the gun lobby.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

🤡

Because they want a Christian fascist country with armed guards everywhere. When that happens, they'll do whatever they want. That's the ultimate goal.
Who is paying for those guards? These folks hate taxes.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man

Some more solutions:

-bullet proof legos
- transformer toys that transform into ar-15
- squirt guns that squirt acid
-hire 5 John wicks to every school
-metal detectors that detect Satan
- kickballs with grenades in them
- exploding fish that double as class pets
- ballistic blankets

One of those is actually real.

ANYTHING BUT ADDRESSING THE ACTUAL PROBLEM

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017

Almost had another school shooting the next day.

It's yet another high school student with an assault rifle.

Truly shocking! Who could have predicted this! Thoughts and prayers!!!

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
God these events are so sad and the lack of government action is sickening.

I've got to imagine even cops would generally prefer background checks and an assault weapons ban on civilians. If there were good ad people, there'd be ads talking about how guns kill cops or something that appeals to the R base… it really shouldn't be this complicated though :(.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It really is just Christian fanaticism all the way through. God and church and God and church. Holy fuck. Enraging.

The constant parroting of empty dogma in place of actual action is what formally convinced me that there is no such thing as God. If a just and loving God actually existed, at some point even he would have enough of his name being used as a deflection to avoid doing anything to stop children from being murdered.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
The problem is Christians largely believe the world is evil and suffering is how it is. The solution is not through societal change, but Jesus coming back, or, in the meantime, being as Godly of a country as you can.

So there's no logical pathway to convince them that societal changes like this will fix it. They believe it's all just symptoms and confirmation that we need Jesus.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
A couple of other great ideas. I just heard on the radio:

They would like schools to be set up as a single entry and exit point with a retired veteran guarding the door.

Or they want response teams to show up once called if an event begins because they expect to be quicker and more agile than they already established police force.