• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
saying something nice about someone is not critiscim, just as offending someone is not criticising them. the difference is being nice is, well, nice. the things online discussions do to some people's brains...
Are you really this fragile that somebody criticising something you like has you disparaging their brain and mental health? This is how you're starting your new year? Take a breath man.

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Picking up the video again and if anyone's curious about Tim's 2020 GOTYs he casually lists it during one of the break times

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake
2. Animal Crossing New Horizons
3. Hades

Feb 3, 2019
Insinuating someone is mentally ill without any cause or evidence other than "I think your opinion is wrong and bad" is pretty poor form in itself, my dude.
do you think it's normal behaviour for someone to reply to a post that were not even quoting them writing full essays about how justifiable they are in coming into a thread just to offend the author of a video they didn't like? besides, I didn't disparaged his mental health, I said I hope he would be able to get better and look back at how silly he was being. I'm done with this.

Last edited:

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
As soon as he said he didn't translate the game for us, I immediately started hoping he was lying. And when he restated that he didn't translate it, my hope only grew deeper.

I don't need to play this, but I'd be interested in doing so if I could. I doubt I'd love it as much as Tim, but he has a way of building something up so thoughtfully that I find it hard to not get sucked into the hype.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
I don't need to play this, but I'd be interested in doing so if I could. I doubt I'd love it as much as Tim, but he has a way of building something up so thoughtfully that I find it hard to not get sucked into the hype.
It's not that good. But it's relatively important and interesting if you're not familiar with the genre.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Curious about a game i never really heard of, but when the comment sections has bangers of qoutes from the video, it does sound like a personal journey worth listening to like many of his videos. Tim Rogers has an enviable history in the game industry just for being able to play God Hand while Shinji Mikami is in the same room talking to him about the game and the ign review, what an experience that must be.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing Fellow Member
You're an asshole. I can be worthless on the internet too!
Imagine insulting a person's English on a forum with a huge international userbase.
That does look to be in shockingly poor taste now I realise English isn't their native language I agree.
It was a take on (for example:)
'I'm all about honesty!'
'Honesty? You couldn't even spell the word!'
Thought suitable because they were failing to acknowledge personal criticism as criticism whilst being personally critical themselves (all whilst mis-spelling the word, thus bringing that old phrase to mind)

Shit post maybe but that's where my head was at for what it's worth.

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched through the failed playthrough, best part of the video till now. Tokimeki Memorial is soul crushing, the game seems harder than real life.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Tokimeki Memorial is soul crushing, the game seems harder than real life.
The first playthroughs can be a bit rough, but once you understand the game mechanics, it's really not that bad.
... Okay, except for Shiori. She's the Highschooler Must Die difficulty setting.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
I've never really been able to get into Tim Rogers stuff - no shade on him, it just hasn't ever clicked for me - but I'm incredibly glad he's done the work to introduce Tokimemo and associated titles to a broader audience. A few months ago I wrote a post about Nakayama Miho no Tokimeki High School in a thread on obscure games, and was pleased to see that shouted out here as well as a clear forerunner. It's an absolute shame that none of these titles have ever been localized or, aside from some of the Girls Side spin-offs, even gotten fan translations. I hope that some day a group spins up an effort to make these more accessible (I have heard that the original's code is a nightmare which has put people off the project) because they truly are foundational.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that some day a group spins up an effort to make these more accessible (I have heard that the original's code is a nightmare which has put people off the project) because they truly are foundational.

Tim, on Discord, mentioned that it would take him 2 weeks to translate the text, but that the hacking necessary to make it work it's too much work.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never really been able to get into Tim Rogers stuff - no shade on him, it just hasn't ever clicked for me - but I'm incredibly glad he's done the work to introduce Tokimemo and associated titles to a broader audience. A few months ago I wrote a post about Nakayama Miho no Tokimeki High School in a thread on obscure games, and was pleased to see that shouted out here as well as a clear forerunner. It's an absolute shame that none of these titles have ever been localized or, aside from some of the Girls Side spin-offs, even gotten fan translations. I hope that some day a group spins up an effort to make these more accessible (I have heard that the original's code is a nightmare which has put people off the project) because they truly are foundational.
Ya.. put that shit on eshop stat Konami (who am I kidding)

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
You do know he has worked as a translator / game localizer, right?
I translate Japanese > English / Spanish for a living and a 300 page-ish project takes us months (in big part because there are constant revisions to the original material though).

I'm clueless about these games so I don't know just how much text they have, though. And as it's been mentioned, if it's mostly simple Japanese then maybe that'd speed things up.

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I translate Japanese > English / Spanish for a living and a 300 page-ish project takes us months (in big part because there are constant revisions to the original material though).

I'm clueless about these games so I don't know just how much test they have, though. And as it's been mentioned, if it's mostly simple Japanese then maybe that'd speed things up.

He called it "textbookly conversational japanese", and what the video shows is pretty standard stuff.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Two weeks.
Yeah. Okay.

npzZqf.png

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is so bitter and angry. Holy shit, Era.

I came around on Tim Rogers when he started putting out his video reviews. I think his style comes across better that way. So much so that I backed Action Button on Patreon!

THube

Oct 27, 2017
The video owns. This thread is better if you read the frustrating posts in Tim's voice

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
seems impossible to find a place on the internet to talk about tim's content without having people extremely angry about the guy because... uhm.... he likes flowery language, I guess?

i guess it is probably the most posts a tokimeki memorial thread would ever get on this site-- so i'm going to look at it as a small victory in that respect. niche or non-Nintendo retro games, unless their the "cannonized" critical darlings, NEVER get this much discussion lol

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
After finishing this one, I sat through all of the doom one this morning. These are too freaking good.

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Damn shame that Tokimeki Memorial has never been localize so it petty awesome seeing a breakdown video around the series.

and yikes Tim video threads seem to always bring the out nastiness out of some people.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It's baffling to me that with all the games new and old that have gotten official and unofficial translations over the years, sometimes games so obscure you wonder who exactly the audience are that those translations are for, that one of the most seminal and important games in Japanese gaming history still hasn't been translated in any way, shape or form. I swear it's been on my "will play when it gets translated" bucket for at least two decades now.

I mean heck, Princess Maker 2 got an official (if technically unreleased) translation! Princess Maker 2!!! but Tokimeki Memorial still sits in complete obscurity outside of Japan?
Yeah, the lack of a fan translation for Tokimeki Memorial after all these years continues to confuse me. It's really too bad.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The technical side is apparently far too complex for a fan translation project.

Hmm. Someone did apparently make a (massively incomplete) translation of the first game on SNES a good while ago, so that seems possible. From the sound of it though the PlayStation or Saturn versions would be the ones you'd really want.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only two hours into the video, but I'm digging it so far and as for talking about Tim Rogers' videos, his Discord is probably the best place to do that

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot fathom how anyone could skip either playthroughs in this video. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.