• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

This is why Trump likes using "Acting Secretary of..." instead of going through nomination and confirmation process. Can slot people in and out depending on the mood of the day, if person just wants to quit easily after some time etc etc. Downside is that it means there really is no functioning government as being acting secretary in its own way limits power you have over your department.

Primer from unrelated news article:

Trump seems to have decided that it is easier to compel the bureaucracy to implement his administration's sometimes controversial policies by working with acting senior officials . Ambitious political appointees whose dream is to hold permanently the senior-level job to which they are posted on an acting basis will tend to be more pliant in order to curry favor with the boss. In addition, using acting officials instead of formally nominating an official for Senate approval bypasses the confirmation process and avoids (for a limited time) a potential bruising confirmation hearing. Acting officials can't stay that way indefinitely, but their stay is usually long enough to push controversial policies, such as Trump's limits on military service for transgender people, into the bureaucracy.

So how effective is an acting secretary? Is it business as usual, whether the boss is acting or not? The chief problem is that without Senate confirmation, an acting secretary's authority is limited—and his or her nomination could be dead on arrival in the Senate if a committee feels he or she has overstepped authority.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully dems have been taking notes so we can close all these loopholes trump's administration keeps finding

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
He would want to work in this dumpster fire of an administration?

Considering how this administration seems to work he was in there to play his own angle and agenda until time ran out on his acting status.

Hopefully dems have been taking notes so we can close all these loopholes trump's administration keeps finding

I doubt that. Yes I'm outside as non-American, but to me it looks like both parties are fine with those loopholes and abuses as at some point it's their turn to take advantage.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this stupid loophole where he can appoint people without congressional approval needs to be fixed. I'm so sick of this shit.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how this administration seems to work he was in there to play his own angle and agenda until time ran out on his acting status.

I doubt that. Yes I'm outside as non-American, but to me it looks like both parties are fine with those loopholes and abuses as at some point it's their turn to take advantage.

tbh, until the dems are back in power we really can't say how they're gonna act

Last edited:

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Acting" should come with the ability to pass no major policies. Also should be 60 days or less.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
He won't even bother finding a real secretary, he'll just keep changing acting secretaries What's the point?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The trend the last few years has shown, the more of these departures that happen, the worse and worse it will get. It aint getting better folks. Prepare yourselves now. The swamp is literally being filled in, not drained. As more immoral shit happens, the jobs only start to attract immoral assholes. This pretty much applies to all areas of the government and military. All the while Trump is speaking and revving up his cult base directly, making them more radical and violent, and giving him ample power with a rigged senate that could maintain a majority despite losing by 10s of millions.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
it worked for 200+ years. It was a good run.
source.gif

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS

Ah yes, both sides. This is certainly comparable to what has happened under a Democratic President.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm afraid of what idiot they'll find to fill the position. Itll be a seat warmer as nobody with an IQ over 80 would join this admin yet. It's like "hey, want to go to federal prison soon!?"

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
With DHS overseeing ICE, I don't think anybody wants that job. It's like actively choosing to ruin your career.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Ah yes, both sides. This is certainly comparable to what has happened under a Democratic President.

Like it not holes in the system has been known about for long time now in US politics, but there has been no will to do anything about it.

If this presidency actually pushes US to fix this "Just trust that governing people are moral and love their country" system then good, I just have quite low trust in human nature.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I give the next guy three months, turnover in the position is only going to increase as the Trump administration continues to fall apart

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Will that technically make the next appointee the Acting Acting Secretary of Homeland Security?

In all seriousness though, I can't keep track of who has what title anymore with all of these departures all the time....

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
One more thing they need to fix after he's gone, cabinets must have a full secretary nominated within 90 days of a vacancy. If not, Congress shall choose one.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

No...no this is entirely different. The civil service functioned rather well the past 100 years up until Trump.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This really illustrates how easily our government can be broken and how many gentlemen agreements were in place.

The executive branch needs to be completely overhauled.