• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
His speech leaked to multiple news outlets, in which he says
  • Crozier was too naive or too stupid to command
  • Crozier betrayed the navy
  • Criticises the crew for cheering for him and for complaining
  • Says all media outlets are biased
  • That China's to blame for Corona and we should treat it as close to war
Full text

www.scribd.com

Modly Speech To Crew | PDF

Thomas Modly delivered a speech to the sailors on board the USS Theodore Roosevelt.

Some quotes

"So think about that when you cheer the man of the ship who exposed you to that," Moldy said. "I understand you love the guy. It's good that you love him. But you're not required to love him."

"Crew of the Teddy Roosevelt, you are under no obligation to love your leadership, only respect it," he continued. "You are under no obligation to like your job, only to do it. You are under no obligation, you are under no obligation to expect anything from your leaders other than they will treat you fairly and put the mission of the ship first."

"That's your duty," Modly said. "Not to complain. Everyone is scared about this thing. And let me tell ya something, if this ship was in combat and there were hypersonic missiles coming in at it, you'd be pretty fucking scared too. But you do your jobs. And that's what I expect you to. And that's what I expect every officer on this ship to do, is to do your jobs."

"One of the things about his email that bothered me the most was saying that we are not at war, that we aren't technically at war," Modly told the sailors. "But let me tell ya something, the only reason we are dealing with this right now is a big authoritative regime called China was not forthcoming about what was happening with this virus and they put the world at risk to protect themselves and to protect their reputations."

edition.cnn.com

Acting Navy secretary apologizes for calling ousted aircraft carrier captain 'stupid' in address to ship's crew

Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly apologized Monday night for calling the now-ousted commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt "stupid" in an address to the ship's crew Monday morning.

Modly told the crew that their former commander, Capt. Brett Crozier, was either "too naive or too stupid" to be in command or that he intentionally leaked to the media a memo in which he warned about coronavirus spreading aboard the aircraft carrier and urged action to save his sailors.

"It was a betrayal. And I can tell you one other thing: because he did that he put it in the public's forum and it is now a big controversy in Washington, DC," Modly said, according to a transcript of remarks Modly made to the crew, copies of which have been provided to CNN by multiple Navy officials.

Modly's use of the word "betrayal" is a loaded because saying an officer has betrayed the Navy is a court martial offense.

When asked if Modly's personal attack on Crozier was appropriate, a senior defense official said Monday, "I don't know what to say."

A defense official familiar with Modly's remarks offered his opinion of Modly's address, saying the acting secretary "should be fired. I don't know how he survives this day."

www.politico.com

Acting Navy secretary apologizes amid uproar over leaked carrier speech

Thomas Modly had criticized the former captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, who was fired after sounding the alarm about a coronavirus outbreak.

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said on Monday he stands by "every word" he said to the crew of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, after leaked audio revealed a profanity-laced speech in which he called the ship's former commanding officer "naive" and "stupid."

There's audio of a sailor shouting "shut the fuck up" during the address (it came in over the carrier's PA) but it's on the Daily Caller (Tucker Carlson's outfit).

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Trump will probably promote him.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Hopefully more people realize that it's not worth joining the military for this backstabbing piece of shit administration.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Well I can definitely tell you who the crew really doesn't love right now... Or respect

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
As a Navy vet, aside from everything else the thing that pisses me off most is this dude had the gall to go onboard this ship and chastise the crew for supporting their captain, as if they are wrong. Now you are going to have an entire Navy that will be unwilling to listen to you, because you clearly don't value the sailors that make up the Navy.

Fuck Thomas Modley, needs to be shit canned immediately.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
If he had said something like this during the theater of war I wouldn't be surprised if he was a victim of friendly fire. Totally self absorbed asshole who likes to lecture people he has no experience with or compassion for

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why A Handmaid's Tale is so believable. Get enough people like this in charge and there you go.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I know we keep repeating that the current admin are the master at projecting but Holy shit at that quote... Like... This 200% applies to the US...

"One of the things about his email that bothered me the most was saying that we are not at war, that we aren't technically at war," Modly told the sailors. "But let me tell ya something, the only reason we are dealing with this right now is a big authoritative regime called China was not forthcoming about what was happening with this virus and they put the world at risk to protect themselves and to protect their reputations."

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine following this guy into battle, instead of the "incompetent, this guy leaked intel, whatever" Capt. Crozier.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
That guy Modly is a piece of trash. Almost as self-centered as Trump, and it takes some doing.

The fact he got out of the T.Roosevelt without getting lynched is a testimony of the crew's discipline.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
"That China's to blame for Corona and we should treat it as close to war"

China is not fucking North Korea. This kind of rhetoric coming from a military head is gonna kill us all.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of "acting" people in this admin.

googling this guy, he should be no where near the position he is on

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017

The fact that he said this in response to an officer exposing how prevalent the viruses spread has been in the DoD after weeks of cover ups and obfuscation is hilarious. Everyone here who currently is serving likely has a horror story about their work having people come in sick to work and their base refusing to test them.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Curious, is possible to court martial this fuck face for saying this shit? Or no because he's a civilian?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
So, another unqualified Trump sycophant. I'm sure everyone on that ship appreciates having their captain canned for trying to protect them from a pandemic and some know-nothing bureaucrat telling them to eat shit. Someone tell me, why does anyone in the military like Trump again?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is great that the Dept. of Defense has people like this Navy Secretary in command, while people like Crozier are the ones being ousted.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Has something like this ever happened before so far up the chain? I hope this blows up massively.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
How much a worthless piece of trash do you have to be to fly half way 'round the fucking world to rant at a bunch of sailors, only to leave a few minutes later. Should have thrown his ass overboard.

Add him to the list of people that deserve to catch Covid-19 and fucking suffer like the rest of us.

Oct 25, 2017
Just off the bullet points it made no sense that Navy leadership would do this but then realized he was a Trump appointee and it all fell into place

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Former Secretary was ousted because he wanted the war crime Fox News contributor navy seal to face his charges for his war crimes correct?

Oct 28, 2017
As a Navy vet, aside from everything else the thing that pisses me off most is this dude had the gall to go onboard this ship and chastise the crew for supporting their captain, as if they are wrong. Now you are going to have an entire Navy that will be unwilling to listen to you, because you clearly don't value the sailors that make up the Navy.

Fuck Thomas Modley, needs to be shit canned immediately.

Truth! I cant imagine serving under this nutjob. My old Captain could call me right now out the blue and ask me for anything and I would be down. Its insane this guy cant fathom how loyalty works.

Fucking shame to be sure.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Listening this asshole's "speech" is infuriating. He's nothing more than a Trump toady.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
FOX News is about to broadcast leaked audio right now after commercial break.

Edit-this coward used the PA system through out the ship, instead of facing them when saying this crazy shit.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I getting this wrong? But a businessman is in charge of the navy? Why?

We have civilian leadership of the military in this country

Also, he is a retired naval officer anyway

He is a jackass, but not because he is unfit for the position. Also, he is a spitting image of Alby Grant in Big Love

Last edited:

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Fuck this asshole, straight up fuck him.

Jackasses like this are why, even after serving for 12 years in the Air Force, I can't stand the US military.

Fuck him.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how in the last thread people wondered why he needed to do what he did. I don't think any further explanation is required at this point. The man is a hero and probably saved lives