• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Slate:
All over America, the coronavirus is revealing, or at least reminding us, just how much of contemporary American life is bullshit, with power structures built on punishment and fear as opposed to our best interest. Whenever the government or a corporation benevolently withdraws some punitive threat because of the coronavirus, it's a signal that there was never any good reason for that threat to exist in the first place.

Each day of this public health crisis brings a new example. People thrown in jail for minor offenses? San Antonio is one of many jurisdictions to announce that, to keep jails from being crowded with sick citizens, they'll stop doing that. Why were they doing it in the first place?

The federal government charging interest on loans to attend college? Well, Donald Trump has instructed government agencies who administer loans to waive interest accrual for the duration of the crisis. But why on earth is our government charging its own citizens interest anyway?

Broadband data caps and throttled internet? Those have been eliminated by AT&T and other ISPs, because of the coronavirus. But data caps and throttling were really just veiled price hikes that served no real technical purpose. Why did we put up with them?

Police helping landlords evict tenants in times of financial trouble? Due to the coronavirus, not anymore in New York, Miami, and New Orleans. But—and you see where this is going—why do the police aid evictions when tenants are stricken with other, non-coronavirus illnesses?

The city shutting off your water, or your power, as punishment for hardship? During this public health emergency, plenty of cities and companies have suddenly found a way to keep service turned on. "As long as COVID-19 remains a health concern," said Detroit mayor Mike Duggan, "no Detroit resident should have concerns about whether their water service will be interrupted." Why in the hell should any Detroit resident have concerns about their water service being interrupted, ever? Shouldn't clean water be the absolute base level of service delivered by a city to its residents?

Sick employees forced to take unpaid leave or work while sick if they want to keep their jobs? Walmart recently announced it would provide up to two weeks of paid leave for any employee who contracts the coronavirus. And the House just passed a bill to address the problem, though as the New York Times editorial board notes, the House's failure to make the bill universal "is an embarrassment that endangers the health of workers, consumers and the broader American public." But why should any sick worker fear losing their pay or their job at any time? And why are the most vulnerable to punitive sick leave practices the workers making the lowest wages?

In every single one of these cases, it's not just that most of these practices are accepted as "standard." It's that they are a way to punish people, to make lives more difficult, or to make sure that money keeps flowing upward. Up until now activists and customers have been meant to believe that the powers that be could never change these policies—it would be too expensive, or too unwieldy, or would simply upset the way things are done. But now, faced suddenly with an environment in which we're all supposed to at least appear to be focused on the common good, the rule-makers have decided it's OK to suspend them. It's a crisis, after all.

Everyone's got to do their part.
There's more at the link above. A lot of the rules and laws we live by are arbitrary and always come at the expense of the average citizen. Most of the time only profiting the few with power and privilege.

Lock if old.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of these things are purely human constructs and we could change them if we really wanted to, or if those in power really wanted to. The thing the people in power should know is that we can change who they are, too.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Edit: Misread the interest portion. I largely agree on second read.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
America is shit. Hopefully this is the wake up call people need to realize just how comfortable they've become with constantly getting fucked by corporations and politicians.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Please more articles and visibility of this topic. It is absolutely WILD how so many people are finally "waking up" to realizing these things

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the student loan one is especially egregious. It's like the governments been rubbing sewage into students eyes, but now because of coronavirus, they're switching to mud only eye-rubbing. Thank you overlords for no interest on our five/six figure loan balances!

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda predict that the ISPs will throttle peoples bandwidth artificially and then say, "gee, there is so much demand, we genuinely can't keep up," and will then use that to fool their customers into their tiered systems.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
This should be one of the biggest "no fucking shit, Sherlock" things to everyone who isn't a blind, stupid, right-wing fucko.

These "gifts" are like a child getting successful crowd-funding for chemo treatments.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
They legitimately don't have to try very hard to be honest. Americans aren't exactly itching to revolt at any of these practices.
Good point. If there's one thing Biden's campaign has taught me, it's that Americans are terrified of change, even if it's for their own good. If someone tells them the change is unnecessary, they'll probably say "see, this guy gets it!" and carry on.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to hear the excuses that will get eaten up afterwards

"Well since we spent SOoOOoOoOooOo much money on 'protecting' you during the coronavirus, we're gonna overcharge you on literally everything now to make up"

Americans/ Boomers would be GLAD to burn buckets of money because they treat corporations like their friends.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Please more articles and visibility of this topic. It is absolutely WILD how so many people are finally "waking up" to realizing these things

Surely the MSM will hear this rallying-cry and spread the message to the masses! (/s aside - You should be sharing this article with everyone you know and encouraging them to vote against the GOP every chance they get)

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I ran to see if my ISP removed data caps. Nope :(

Edit: ooh looks like my ISP is doing the no data cap thing, it just doesn't show anywhere other than the press page. Hmm.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Most people are far more of a sheep than they even think. You're being fooled into leading a life that only really benefits a few.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Most of us on this forum have known this for awhile. Good to see it's getting visibility.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, is Slate going far-left? I feel like it would be beyond the pale to publish an article like this in a mainstream publication like 5 years ago

speaking as a hopeful leftist

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Damn, is Slate going far-left? I feel like it would be beyond the pale to publish an article like this in a mainstream publication like 5 years ago

speaking as a hopeful leftist

No not yet. Not with a cover photo where the focus is on a black security guard as if he is a proxy for our current problems.

The pairing of that image with this topic is absurd.

It's really hard to ignore the cracks in how society has been setup for the benefit of the very few the last couple of years.

Indeed, were on lockdown not because of the immunosuppressant, but because the old folks in power don't want to die. In the US, they shut down reluctantly because they don't want to lose money.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wait until the peasants learn about basic income instead of letting the dragons hoard all the wealth.

"oh you can't pay your rent because you lost your job in a global pandemic. oh well. I'm off to buy a third boat"

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree that a lot of these things are bullshit, but saying that coronavirus has "revealed" them to be bullshit is kind of nonsensical.

Like, you don't say that paying for food and toilet paper is bullshit just because relief workers give it out for free after a hurricane. It's easily understood that rules in an emergency situation are different from routine standards and practices.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I don't necessarily disagree that a lot of these things are bullshit, but saying that coronavirus has "revealed" them to be bullshit is kind of nonsensical.

Like, you don't say that paying for food and toilet paper is bullshit just because relief workers give it out for free after a hurricane. It's easily understood that rules in an emergency situation are different from routine standards and practices.

Maybe I'm just dense and it really is easy to understand, but why are the rules different?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Maybe I'm just dense and it really is easy to understand, but why are the rules different?

Because it's an emergency? Look, this is very simple:

Let's say you're in a place with a no loitering policy. You aren't allowed to sit on the floor. Now, let's say you just broke your leg. They're probably going to let you sit on the floor until medics arrive to treat you, right? The fact the rules change in an emergency isn't unusual, it doesn't magically shine a light through the thin veneer of polite society, it's just common sense.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles

Let me guess, you're a landlord. 😂

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017

Let's say you're in a place with a no loitering policy. You aren't allowed to sit on the floor. Now, let's say you just broke your leg. They're probably going to let you sit on the floor until medics arrive to treat you, right? The fact the rules change in an emergency isn't unusual, it doesn't magically shine a light through the thin veneer of polite society, it's just common sense.
That doesn't really fit the scenarios in the article, as it talking about why these things never got passed as people were told that stuff like sick pay is impossible. The loitering scenario doesn't make sense as people are never told that it would be impossible to loiter here, just that it's unwanted.

Mar 29, 2018

There's an arbitrary line being drawn here. In most of Europe, sure, food and toilet paper aren't given out for free, but everything/most stuff in the article is. It's about how much a state nationalises and regulates these goods, services and practices - which is almost arbitrary and based on the state's ideology.

The USA's ideology is very right wing, capital and liberalism driven, thus you guys nationalise/regulate very little, and thus every possible amenity/commodity/public service is privatised and designed to suck profit out of the populace.

Everything in the article from data caps to prison rules to sick leave to water/energy policy fall on one side or another of this arbitrary line. And, when privatised and deregulated, almost none of it will work in favour of the majority of the population. Because it's private - it's there to suck money out of them, not support them.

An emergency situation like this shows how little the state/society is set up to actually help the population.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't address that a lot of the rules mentioned in the OP were nonsensical to begin with, which is the whole point

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger

I love that you used loitering for your example. Why the fuck is it ever against the law to sit on the floor? The rules are fundamentally fucked. It brings us back to the beginning of the OP.

All over America, the coronavirus is revealing, or at least reminding us, just how much of contemporary American life is bullshit, with power structures built on punishment and fear as opposed to our best interest. Whenever the government or a corporation benevolently withdraws some punitive threat because of the coronavirus, it's a signal that there was never any good reason for that threat to exist in the first place.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
So, if I can jump a few steps ahead here, if you're asked to not come into work for two weeks because of extenuating circumstances, the thought is that you didn't need to go to work at all to begin with?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
There's an arbitrary line being drawn here. In most of Europe, sure, food and toilet paper aren't given out for free, but everything/most stuff in the article is. It's about how much a state nationalises and regulates these goods, services and practices - which is almost arbitrary and based on the state's ideology.

Like I said, I don't actually disagree that most of the things listed are bullshit, I disagree with the assertion that them being suspended under extenuating circumstances is somehow a useful proof of that.

The proof of them being bullshit would be "other countries don't do this, and it's fine that they don't" not "we can stop doing this temporarily in an emergency and it's fine". Those are completely different standards.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
That doesn't really fit the scenarios in the article, as it talking about why these things never got passed as people were told that stuff like sick pay is impossible. The loitering scenario doesn't make sense as people are never told that it would be impossible to loiter here, just that it's unwanted.

Sick pay isn't impossible, my job gives me like 20 paid sick days a year. I think everyone should have some by law, but I'm not sure what makes you think sick pay is impossible? Most of these scenarios are what they do on a case by case individual basis anyway, they are just applying this to everyone temporarily. We know why data caps exist, because some dodo head somewhere will download petabytes of data each month for some reason.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
So, if I can jump a few steps ahead here, if you're asked to not come into work for two weeks because of extenuating circumstances, the thought is that you didn't need to go to work at all to begin with?
If you could get 14 sick days off in a disaster situation why can't you get 14 sick days in a regular situation is the comparable step. You can't just leave out the limited timeframe.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I love that you used loitering for your example. Why the fuck is it ever against the law to sit on the floor? The rules are fundamentally fucked. It brings us back to the beginning of the OP.

Do you seriously need to be told why someone can't just sit down on the floor in the middle of a hallway in an emergency ward of a hospital and refuse to move?

The way loitering rules are applied may often be asinine or even outright vindictive, but the reason they exist should be obvious.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020

and that your job is likely BS...

more people should be concerned that their employers might figure out ways to get things done without you. Not that people should worry about that, but if you want to call out power structures for being BS, remember it goes both ways.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Sick pay isn't impossible, my job gives me like 20 paid sick days a year. I think everyone should have some by law, but I'm not sure what makes you think sick pay is impossible? Most of these scenarios are what they do on a case by case individual basis anyway, they are just applying this to everyone temporarily. We know why data caps exist, because some dodo head somewhere will download petabytes of data each month for some reason.
Uh I was making a point that sick pay for all is told to be impossible/too expensive which is why this disaster is showing that it isn't.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
What? No. Maybe read the article.

Data caps are a lie. Literally everyone knows they're a money grab.

www.theverge.com

Leaked Comcast memo reportedly admits data caps aren't about improving network performance

Public relations would also prefer that you stop calling it a data cap