• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I have acid reflux for as long as I can remember, and over the last several months it seems to have gotten even worse. I have tried famotidine and its to the point that I would need a morning and afternoon dose to feel even comfortable slightly. I have done omazeprazole cycles before and they help for a bit, but it always comes back. Tums and Pepto are basically useless to me. Its not an ulcer, I have had those before so I know if it ever hits that level what it feels like. Any Era members have something long term they use or their doctor advised that has helped them out?

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I was prescribed Omeprazole which is also available over the counter as Prilosec OTC. It helped immensely. Although I'm not too enthused about very long term use.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I had to simplify my diet and just cut out the stuff that causes it. That plus taking famotidine(when needed) got me in a pretty good spot, but if I dont watch what I eat nothing will really keep it under control anymore. I used to take ranitidine and that shit worked great but it doesnt exist in the US anymore afaik so it is what it is, if I eat stuff that causes it to act up, I just have to deal with it until I come to my senses and get back on the wagon

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So omeprazole says to take it no more than 14 days in a row unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
My doctor told me otherwise. My heartburn was so bad that even something simple like drinking water would give it to me. This was well over 10 years ago now. There are still certain foods that I can't start the day with, but everything else is fair game at all times.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
for me, it only happens if I consume a lot of acid or spices in the evening or night, with a bigger risk of triggering if I lay down immediately after consuming that.

When eating such a meal, I take a Pepcid pill right before, and it usually does the trick, provided I stay upright for a while after.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Wishing I had an answer. I've got GERD along with Crohns and the GERD symptoms are terrible when I get an attack. I use Omeprazole regularly and Tums as an addition when needed, but the thing that has staved it off mostly has just been exercising and eating better. I'm already a skinny person, but just the difference of 10 pounds has change my GERD symptoms tremendously.

Ive also tried incline pillows, not eating for 4 hours before bed, etc. Still get the occasional attack.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
Omeprazole prescription
Lose weight
Overhaul diet so no caffeine, spicy food, high fat, chocolate, fried stuff, etc.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I take pantoprozole at the moment. I was on some steroids that gave me a seriously bad flare up of GERD.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yeah it sucks. I take doctor prescribed pantoprazole a few times a week as needed and avoid caffeine, sauces, acidic foods, etc. as much as I can. Most days I feel ok at least.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Pantoprazole (Protonix) is the only thing other than lifestyle changes that works for me. I've suffered for at least 15 years now, and have gone through all the other OTC meds. Until I lose weight and start eating better, meds are a much easier solution. For extra-bad breakthroughs I have famotidine on hand.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taking Pantoprazole every day and getting my bone density checked every year to make sure they don't end up fucked because of it

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I was given omeprazole and lansoprazole, but they wore off rather quickly. I've been on pantoprazole for about 2 years now, and it's been working well enough. I still have symptoms, but they aren't painful like they were before. There are still some foods I just simply can't eat any more.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I only get it when I feast a night. Since I am doing interminent fasting and skipping dinner it's no longer a problem.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Fortunately for me, I only needed to cut out coffee and grapefruit after I got it under control with Omeprazole. Even Fresca makes me vomit. Who knew it had real grapefruit in it?

Just keep in mind stopping omeprazole cold turkey after being on it for a while will give you reflux like symptoms, so make sure to gradually reduce your dose instead of just stopping.

My reflux went misdiagnosed and got so bad I was out of work for six weeks straight years ago. This was somewhat compounded by being put on treatments for things I didn't have. Not fun.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was prescribed omeprazol several times and it never helped lol. Straight up changed my diet and fixed (not 100%, but still, big improvement) my posture. I rarely drink fizzy drinks anymore, I try to avoid condiments as well as eating in general before lying down. Always try to exercise a bit after eating, even if it's just going for a short walk.

tsakiki

Oct 27, 2017
What worked best for me was doing a strict elimination diet to discover my worst offenders and then avoiding those foods/drinks. I was on Nexium for a couple years, and while that did help with acid reflux, I didn't feel very well while I was on it. I also had gallbladder issues, which may have complicated things.

As others have mentioned, heavy dinners are bad - I have my big meal of the day at lunch and a light supper or snack in the evening. I'm a huge fan of a big spoonful of psyllium husks with water an hour before bed for better overall digestion, which may also be helping keep my acid reflux at bay.

Sleeping on my left side also helps.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i avoid fatty foods when i can. i also try not to eat a couple of hours before i go to sleep.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I had some weird mix of acid reflux/GERD/Crohn's for about a year and the pain was terrible. I even made several threads about it here. I only got relief when my doctor prescribed me anti-inflammatory steroids. Within a week it was almost all gone. I don't know if that's specific to your case though. I also took and still take pantoprazole to address stomach issues but I'm not even sure if I need it anymore.

Diagnosing stomach issues is very difficult, especially nowadays with medical facilities restricted due to COVID. I can't be much more help than that, but good luck, OP!

DKeygo

Jun 29, 2019
I have acid reflux for as long as I can remember, and over the last several months it seems to have gotten even worse. I have tried famotidine and its to the point that I would need a morning and afternoon dose to feel even comfortable slightly. I have done omazeprazole cycles before and they help for a bit, but it always comes back. Tums and Pepto are basically useless to me. Its not an ulcer, I have had those before so I know if it ever hits that level what it feels like. Any Era members have something long term they use or their doctor advised that has helped them out?

Is the famotidine OTC? If your insurance covers it, get it prescribed and they can go up to 80mg daily (2 x 40mg tablets). If that doesn't help, it sounds like omeprazole is the way to go for you. Again, good idea to get it prescribed for long term use (even if insurance won't cover it). That way they just have it on record if long term damage starts happening.

The other suggestions in the topic are good. Switch up the diet to avoid triggers, eating smaller meals, exercise/losing weight can help. Wearing looser clothing helps as well.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Idk, for me eating better and drinking ginger kombucha really helped

Ginger is the secret acid reflux panacea

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
You sound like you're not seeing a gastroenterologist, are you? Please see one. Mine put me on long-term daily omeprazole and with psychotherapy (that reduced my anxiety and stress) my acid reflux is almost non-existent now.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I was prescribed Omeprazole which is also available over the counter as Prilosec OTC. It helped immensely. Although I'm not too enthused about very long term use.
"Don't worry. It doesn't really cause dementia."

Huh?? What the fuck do you mean Doc?

I am on year 3 of this. Well...I hope the benefits outweigh the drawbacks in the long run.

R.I.P. Pizza

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Things that worked for me were changing my diet, not really strict, just trying to balance my food more, like avoiding a diet that consists exclusively of deep fried stuff, pizzas and burgers. Getting in some exercise. Stopped wearing skinny jeans that are too tight around the waist. Cut out alcohol for some time, I also almost completely cut out soft drinks.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Omeprazole every couple of months now. I was on it for like a year straight cause acid was damaging my esophagus at one point. Bad eating causes flare ups but spicy food is just too good.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I took Prilosec or equivalent for 5 years and it worked. 20mg a day was enough for me.

My weight, eating and drinking habits played a big part.

I think the eating and drinking habits were primarily responsible. Eating and drinking(alcohol) to close to bed time.

I am off it for the most part now for 2 weeks.

I lost 50lbs and cut back on drinking alot. I try to have nothing, but water within 2 hours of bedtime and so far so good.

I take half a Prilosec before bed if I feel like I need it and use Pepto/Tums in an emergency.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I was on a prescription for Pantoprazole for a couple of years and then my doctor ended it. Nexium works well for me, so I take one every morning. I understand they recommend against taking PPI's long-term, but I simply cannot function properly without my stomach acid being curbed.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Going to sleep earlier.

Seriously. Usually past 12AM my mind starts to wake up and I start to browse the internet more. The more I push myself to stay up, the more likely my acid reflux will trigger (especially when I'm tired). Funny enough, my acid reflux is only a problem late at night and I usually never have it during any other time.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Be wary of PPIs (ie protonix), they show an increased risk of kidney problems.

Switch to a H2 blocker.

Team Pepcid

BTW, I've been trying to lose 20 lbs for 10 years. Good news tho, due to the pandemic, I now need to lose 40 lbs.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Weight loss fixed mine completely, but I know that's not the solution for everyone.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I've been dealing with various forms of it this year. For me it's a mix of cleaning up my diet in general, famotidine as needed, getting a raised pillow for sleeping, eating less at night, and cutting out carbonated beverages/alcohol.

Ginger tea also works wonders.

jleo

Aug 12, 2021
Oh wow a thread just for me!

Short term solution if changing your eating habits and reducing stress don't seem to work is a PPI medication. Omeprazole, pantoprazole, lanzoprazole and the like. Those really reined in my symptoms when they were not too bad but persistent. Changing my already healthy diet and lifestyle didn't do much for me. I eat well and exercise so I felt I couldn't do much besides limiting coffee to 1-2 cups and not using a lot of excess oil when cooking.

Long term for me was stress management. I am a worrier, so when I feel like less stuff is going on at work or in my personal life things settle down on their own.

Good luck acid reflux suffering friends!

Cbrun44

About 15 years ago I had a period where I pretty much had heart burn 24 hours a day for 3-4 months straight. I literally went to the hospital one time laying on the ground in the back of the car in pain thinking I was having a heart attack. I went to a gastroenterologist and had all the tests and was given all the typical medicines.

But, ultimately what helped most was getting my anxiety in order. That was the primary cause for me. Just didn't want to believe it. So really Zoloft, Prevacid and time were what helped me in the end. I did for that period cut out alcohol, caffeine, etc which also helped.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
currently prescribed omeprazole. my doc says it isnt supposed to be used long term and tried switching me over to famotadine twice a day. id always remember to take my morning dose but if i missed my afternoon one, it would get pretty bad for me at night. doc put me back on omerprazole. obviously changing your diet would be the best for long term.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Find your triggers and avoid them. They are not the same for everyone, even if spicy food are usual culprits they might not be for you.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
For me?
Do not eat 1.5 hours before reclining.
Do not over indulge in pure fat, oils grease and the like...for me they trigger it more than any acidic foods.
Do not overeat - more smaller portion to precent acid leak.
Stay upright after having eaten, have better posture.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I got a prescription for Nexium after trying some other over the counter medicine. Night and day difference.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Protonix worked for me when nothing else would. I started with 20mg every day, but I now take 10mg ~every other day and it keeps it in check. My triggers were too numerous for diet change to make a dent on their own.