• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The success of the Switch is because it is not a traditional console and for other manufacturers to compete they would need to create a similarly compact and portable device that de-emphasizes complimenting technology (i.e. 4K HDR TVs) in favor of the holistic and self-contained experience of the Switch.
The success of the Switch is in a large part due to having the games people want to play there, not just because it's a portable.

The Vita was a portable too.

Nov 8, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate commentary
Sony is shipping less PS5's to Japan on a week to week basis then they do to Spain, a country with substantially less than half the population, which should make it obvious that Japan is no longer foremost in their thoughts. They also don't seem to be making games that target the JP market.

PlayStation 5, you will see, will be far and away the winner in Japan when you look at it by March '22. They really, really will. It's something that is going to be a slow burner, and suddenly it's like a tsunami; it will just overtake you.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, kinda pointless comparing to the Switch when it's a portable and the PS4/PS5 aren't. It's common knowledge that dedicated consoles have been selling less and less in the region for years.

And unfortunately for Japan both the 360 and the PS4 have shown that you can be ridiculously successful even if you don't sell much in Japan.

I'd love for Sony to fund more Japanese projects but it should surprise no one that their focus is outside of Japan.

I think there is still a place for traditional consoles in Japan. The fact that Japanese people prefer the hybrid switch to the cheaper handheld-only lite model tells us that. Obv it's easier to go that way when it has the handheld mode as an option, but that's not the whole story.

The problem for Sony is that although they're not doing much different than those days when the PSX/PS2 were riding high, they didn't need to do much then after the PSX was up and running. They had the most popular console. Cart licensing compared to CD costs made N64 prohibitive and the Saturn was tough to develop for with less powerful 3D abilities, and then the PS2 got the benefit of succeeding the most popular console, having a DVD player and making no real misteps. They got all the games from small pubs without even having to ask for it. SCE Japan worked with a lot of devs to make cool quirky games too (as I said above, I fondly remember Arc the Lad & Jumping Flash).

But when the PS3 arrived the HD costs hit hard and a lot of these games went handheld, mobile, or just disappeared. Sony still got some with PSP to PS3 ports and PSV to PS4 ports, but they have no handhelds now, and the best they'll get is some switch ports and stuff that will sell well in the west. Anything more they'd have to actively encourage. But they're not doing that and they're not making anything with the JP market in mind.

Nintendo's strength is their backbone as a software developer that makes games that the Japanese public want to play, and in turn it's now seeing support from the smaller Japanese devs that are still around. Being playable in handheld mode is certainly a factor, but it's the games in the end - the Wii was still selling like gangbusters in Japan while the PS3 was struggling due to their games. Sony would have to spend a lot of money in the Japanese market to make a difference (to not much short term gain), and given their western success that's just not something they seem interested in doing.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Presumably this hasn't always been the case? It seems wild to me - did this need to be done during the PS3/PS2 era? Or a modern Sony initiative?

Up until 2018 (I think) Japanese devs submitted their games to PS Japan. I remember it being discussed in the MC thread because a good amount of devs and small publishers didn't even have the linguistical knowledge to complete the process in english.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think there is some conflation here. I think you can be disappointed with Sony's current dedication to the Japanese market and also not want them to engage in the objectification of women. This Hideki Yasuda seems to take it personally that Sony doesn't want to engage with this kind of dubious content.

Personally, I love Japanese developers, and I want to see their unique style given a lot of attention, but I fucking hate that engaging with that content often means running up against some of the worst designs for female characters. If that component (the objectification of women) is truly intrinsically connected to Japanese games as a whole, then I can see why Sony is moving away from the Japanese market (though I personally don't think that is the case).

Yeah, agreed. Bringing up shit like this yet again:
After fall 2018, Sony implemented its own regulations on depictions in games, which has censored content aimed at Japanese users
... doesn't exactly cause me to empathize with the writer or any others* concerned about this, let alone care at all about this supposed "problem".

*and unlike what the writer implies, people clutching their pearls about "censorship" are neither exclusively Japanese (if anything there's been more vocal outcry from western gamers), nor representative of all of the Japanese gamer population (as usual, it leaves out women, younger gamers, older gamers, and anyone outside the male teen / young adult demographic). Sony is just becoming more respectful and inclusive, and the traditional young male audience feels left out: this is neither new nor restricted to Japan.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (5 days): Instigating cross-thread drama and community sniping
Absolutely spot on (PS5 launch and outlook specifically) but unfortunately I expect these issues to be glossed over or hand-waved away, and the writer attacked for no reason, going by recent history.

*Looks at latest posts in the PlayStation Studios OT*

Well that didn't take long at all!

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People really underestimate the importance of being extremely active on markets where Xbox is competitive and launches the same time as PS

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation 5, you will see, will be far and away the winner in Japan when you look at it by March '22. They really, really will. It's something that is going to be a slow burner, and suddenly it's like a tsunami; it will just overtake you.
Comparing Sony's performance in Japan to an incoming tsunami is verrrry very poor wording.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
The article also fails to mention the talent is leaving Sony's own studios left and right ( unless I missed it in the article )

add to the fact the ps5 was designed without a single thought of Japanese gamers due to its huge bulky not necessary size.
PS5 will fail in Japan, and it will do okayish in the west but I don't expect it to beat the ps4. Not by along shot .
The price of the console and the new high price for games in this current economy state is pretty much helping not to achieve that high sale.

Also, I am really noticing kids these days leaning toward pc gaming.
Who really know what's gonna happen. But yeah my take is Sony is done in Japan unless they release a psp 2 lol

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
There shouldn't be a different set of rules Sony shouldn't allow its own Playstation division to play content police that would possibly demand changes for Sony's own game if lets say Aniplex published a console FGO game or whatever. Not to mention the Playstation divison stands out like a sore thumb with its weird policy and attitude towards Jp games while Sony as a whole is making a bigger push towards capitalizing on Anime.

Why can't the Playstation ecosystem have its own set of standards? I mean, as is, we see enough dubious content to know that those standards are pretty lax.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they didn't really launch the console in japan. they barely shipped any units, and had no launch games that appeal to the japanese market. we'll see how it goes but until the big hitters come (RE, FF, MH), things aren't getting any better. even then i think sony has accepted that they'll have a pretty small market share in japan and i don't think they can do much to fix that.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The article also fails to mention the talent is leaving Sony Japan own studios left and right ( unless I missed it in the article )

add to the fact the ps5 was designed without a single thought thought of Japanese gamers due to its huge bulky not necessary size.
PS5 will fail in Japan, and it will do okayish in the west but I don't expect it to beat the ps4. Not by along shot .
The price of the console and the new high prize for games in the current economy state is pretty much helping not to achieve that high sale.

Also, I am really noticing kids these days leaning toward pc gaming.
Who really know what's gonna happen. But yeah my take is Sony is done in Japan unless they release a psp 2 lol

The PS5 is outselling the PS4 and will be outselling it way past this first year.
I really can't see signs of the PS5 doing worse than PS4...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Japan's mindset in terms of consoles has changed and the home console model Sony does doesn't appeal to them.

Is this the chicken or the egg?

PlayStation is the home console model in Japan. If the consumer's mindset has changed towards buying PlayStations then is that because Sony have stopped marketing successfully to them? Or have Sony stopped marketing towards them because they don't buy them anymore?

Obviously the article is trying to point out the former - how gaming itself is still huge business in Japan and the market has changed because there's less desire to buy PlayStations, not because there's less desire to own home gaming consoles.

I guess it's hard to say for sure without a competition filling that home space.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My follow up thoughts are this then: The Switch and the PlayStation are fundamentally different machines which offer completely different experiences in their usage. For many years I have heard that The Switch is not proof consoles can still do well in Japan, but in fact the opposite. The success of the Switch is because it is not a traditional console and for other manufacturers to compete they would need to create a similarly compact and portable device that de-emphasizes complimenting technology (i.e. 4K HDR TVs) in favor of the holistic and self-contained experience of the Switch.

So the perspective of this article is different from the one I am usually seeing. It is usually the Switch that is held up as the definitive proof the console market in Japan has moved in a different direction rather than evidence of console viability. It is hard for me to imagine the PlayStation 5 doing well for any of the reasons the Switch has done well.

But as always in these conversations I do not have any actual firsthand experience with what I am talking about. This is a topic I want to understand but am the first to admit I do not. I find the discussion interesting despite not having a strong grasp on it.

I agree that the Switch is fundamentally more appealing to the Japanese market based on hardware design. I also think it quite evidently has software that is fundamentally more appealing than what PlayStation, including those are predominantly or exclusively enjoyed as a home console experience as show by the success of Ring Fit Adventure and Momotaro Dentetsu.

I also don't think that really changes the point though. Sony could design a PlayStation that is more catered to a Japanese audience, they could produce more content that is catered to a Japanese audience. It is evident that they choose not to do so, regardless of whether that is overall the best strategic decision, not that they are incapable and not that there isn't the potential to do better in Japan.

I would also suggest that it is perhaps presented as a false dichotomy anyway. Sony could probably do a lot more than they are currently doing, and be more successful, without committing to an entirely different vision or without aiming for Switch level success.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't the Playstation ecosystem have its own set of standards? I mean, as is, we see enough dubious content to know that those standards are pretty lax.

Because it makes no sense. You can have a situation where funimation or crunchyroll are available on playstation and you have Sony aquiring licences for series with content their own Playstation division would want censored if it was a game to be released on the platform. And its not just about the weird situation in regards to content of Sony vs Playstation but the whole certification process needing to be in English. How can Sony who as a whole is still a Japanese company be ok with one of its own divisions doing this.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I feel like I didnt find out anything that wasnt already known? Its mainly focusing on some things from the past and that which are true for a long period of time? ... Like, I would really appreciated some bulletproof points that will persuade me about Sony finally giving up on Japan, but I am really not there yet.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think its really sad to see Japan's gaming market declining like this as it veers more towards pocket gaming and portables. I guess PC could be an option for traditional console game creators, lots of opportunities oversees to offset the downturn in interest by Japanese gamers.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I agree that the Switch is fundamentally more appealing to the Japanese market based on hardware design. I also think it quite evidently has software that is fundamentally more appealing than what PlayStation, including those are predominantly or exclusively enjoyed as a home console experience as show by the success of Ring Fit Adventure and Momotaro Dentetsu.

I also don't think that really changes the point though. Sony could design a PlayStation that is more catered to a Japanese audience, they could produce more content that is catered to a Japanese audience. It is evident that they choose not to do so, regardless of whether that is overall the best strategic decision, not that they are incapable and not that there isn't the potential to do better in Japan.

I would also suggest that it is perhaps presented as a false dichotomy anyway. Sony could probably do a lot more than they are currently doing, and be more successful, without committing to an entirely different vision or without aiming for Switch level success.
In an ideal world, PlayStation would have two skus and I would be able to have my "Vita Tablet" and PS5 simultaneously. :(

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Article resonates as strange to me, tbh. At least as translated. An unusual amount of pathos, talking about hopelessness, being ignored, etc.; the author writes like he expects Sony to listen to him/his publication directly; some of those points were quite weak. It ends up feeling less like genuine analysis and more an attempt to play an outsize role in some drama between Sony and a collection of aggrieved fans.

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Find it strange he seems to gloss over the defining difference between the Switch/3DS and the PS4 - portability.

Aside from that, Japanese developers haven't really stepped up to the plate on the PS5 yet either - even Yakuza's PS5 version was delayed.

That he made such a big deal of the censorship push as well is uhhh. strange.

IDK, I don't really feel like his analysis is particularly comprehensive.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The FGO comment is just weird. Like, they make an effort to address counterpoints, but then drop that complete nonsense.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I didnt find out anything that wasnt already known? Its mainly focusing on some things from the past and that which are true for a long period of time? ... Like, I would really appreciated some bulletproof points that will persuade me about Sony finally giving up on Japan, but I am really not there yet.

By "giving up" I think it more means not focusing on Japan. They are now just another market - they don't get any games published by Sony that are specifically targetted at them, they don't get much stock, the "X/O" thing is gone, pubs can no longer go to SCEJ for publishing permission, etc...

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
By "giving up" I think it more means not focusing on Japan. They are now just another market - they don't get any games published by Sony that are specifically targetted at them, they don't get much stock, the "X/O" thing is gone, pubs can no longer go to SCEJ for publishing permission, etc...

Well, i dont a see problem with that. If they came to a conclusion that its just not worth it and cant be fixed... i dont really get the fuss about it. It was worse and worse by every year yet people act surprised.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Well, i dont a see problem with that. If they came to a conclusion that its just not worth it and cant be fixed... i dont really get the fuss about it. It was worse and worse by every year yet people act surprised.

They never really tried though. It's not like they were publishing lots of games targetted at the market and they all flopped.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
It's impossible to get a PS5 in Japan legit and Japanese players are really showing how good they are at still keeping it up and enduring it out through these hard times of scarcity. Linining up outside stores for many hours each couple of days without knowing if there will be stock or not is something those living in the big cities can do. The rest of the brave players who lives on the countryside are totally left to the maddening buying-ticket-lotteries, and only those that accept delivery and not only pick-up. They have also to have a previous purchase record and membership in that particular store. Other option is to try to be faster than the bots on Rakuten and Amazon. There is no pre-order system!
Who knows when those people who are left to the lotteries and bot-fights will be able to snag a PS5 from a scalper?

Japanese people never stands up and talk out loud - not even when idiots places themselves before them in unorganized qeues for PS5 outside electronics dept stores.

They are mostly loud on Twitter and a few super otaku message boards like 2chan and maybe GameSpark.
But I think they always hope things should work properly since PlayStation once was a proper Japanese company.
When they slowly realize they have been sidelined for the worse they might start to protest, hopefully.
But the large risk is that they will just lose interest and feel Sony doesn't care about them.

MS Gamepass is very difficult to grasp for a newcomer - and since there are few Japanese players who can explain it, they might not give it a chance. But since Japanese people wants to play with other Japanese people, once more and more people jump to xbox it might be too late for Sony to win them back if the PS5 scarcity prevails for too long...
edit. and if we get a Switch Pro in 2021 offering similar gameplay on TV such as PS5.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

... doesn't exactly cause me to empathize with the writer or any others* concerned about this, let alone care at all about this supposed "problem".

*and unlike what the writer implies, people clutching their pearls about "censorship" are neither exclusively Japanese (if anything there's been more vocal outcry from western gamers), nor representative of all of the Japanese gamer population (as usual, it leaves out women, younger gamers, older gamers, and anyone outside the male teen / young adult demographic). Sony is just becoming more respectful and inclusive, and the traditional young male audience feels left out: this is neither new nor restricted to Japan.

I agree but I feel like you may have inadvertently hit the nail on the head there. The male teen / young adult demographic is pretty much the entire PlayStation audience in Japan; those other demographics are already not playing games on PlayStation platforms but instead on the Switch or mobile. They also haven't made any attempt to actually expand their demographics in any other way since those policies came into being.

In an ideal world, PlayStation would have two skus and I would be able to have my "Vita Tablet" and PS5 simultaneously. :(

I'm don't think it's a great idea but Japanese third parties would 100% be straight on board for a PS equivalent of the Switch.

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 sold more than the Vita in Japan. Portability plays a big role but it's not everything.

Of course it's not everything, but the Vita had library issues as well that the PS4 didn't have, and that the Switch/3DS also didn't have.

But if we were to compare consoles based on library, portable will win handily in Japan.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It's impossible to get a PS5 in Japan legit and Japanese players are really showing how good they are at still keeping it up and enduring it out through these hard times of scarcity. Linining up outside stores for many hours each couple of days without knowing if there will be stock or not is something those living in the big cities can do. The rest of the brave players who lives on the countryside are totally left to the maddening buying-ticket-lotteries, and only those that accept delivery and not only pick-up. They have also to have a previous purchase record and membership in that particular store. Other option is to try to be faster than the bots on Rakuten and Amazon. There is no pre-order system!
Who knows when those people who are left to the lotteries and bot-fights will be able to snag a PS5 from a scalper?

Japanese people never stands up and talk out loud - not even when idiots places themselves before them in unorganized qeues for PS5 outside electronics dept stores.

They are mostly loud on Twitter and a few super otaku message boards like 2chan and maybe GameSpark.
But I think they always hope things should work properly since PlayStation once was a proper Japanese company.
When they slowly realize they have been sidelined for the worse they might start to protest, hopefully.
But the large risk is that they will just lose interest and feel Sony doesn't care about them.

MS Gamepass is very difficult to grasp for a newcomer - and since there are few Japanese players who can explain it, they might not give it a chance. But since Japanese people wants to play with other Japanese people, once more and more people jump to xbox it might be too late for Sony to win them back if the PS5 scarcity prevails for too long...
The competition for Sony in Japan is the Switch not Xbox.

It might not have been a direct competition in 2017/2018 but since then they have been sharing more and more of their libraries which makes them frontal competitors.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 sold more than the Vita in Japan. Portability plays a big role but it's not everything.

Please See the LTD of Vita and PS4 and JP% Contribution to the Hardware and Software on overall WW.

PS4 Sold More than Vita because it had a mainline final fantasy, Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest which Vita didnt.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The 5 bullet points in the OP are so flimsy. Japanese sales aren't going to make or break the PS5 as a sales success. Until I see a tangible difference is Japanese developer support all these articles have no effect on me as a gamer.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't see how that expands their audience, though. Take Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, for example. That game was changed on PS4 to comply with Sony's new policies. However, it doesn't change what DOAX3 is at its core, it's still a pervy game. I don't know if there are any significant number of people who were not going to buy the game who all of a sudden decided to do so because of those changes. What they need to do is actually make games appealing to those audiences.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
The competition for Sony in Japan is the Switch not Xbox.

It might not have been a direct competition in 2017/2018 but since then they have been sharing more and more of their libraries which makes them frontal competitors.
Every Japanese gamer are getting a Switch AND an Action, FPS, mature games console or PC.
CoD and Apex are really popular here. Aswell as MHW and FF14.

If Nintendo can release a Switch Pro which can offer those type of experiences, Sony might lose even more here.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I think the bigger question is whether the Japanese market as it stands today and what it looks to be growing into in the near future worth the kind of investment from Sony that many seem to desire and demand. I'm not so sure and that isn't to say the market is worthless or anything but Sony's focus the last decade does not seem to mesh well with what Japanese gamers actually want (outside of their mobile gaming ventures) and I can't see it being worth the large amount of time, money and effort to win back a single countries worth of gamers compared to the incredible gains Sony has made the world over with their current very successful strategy.
I personally think it's worth the investment from them. While Japan as a market is shrinking, it is still home to many valuable developers. If nothing else, Sony should make sure they maintain a solid presence in the region in order to keep those games coming. They say it's an important market but their actions make them appear apathetic towards the region, as they seem content to just have third parties do the heavy lifting.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Please See the LTD of Vita and PS4 and JP% Contribution to the Hardware and Software on overall WW.

PS4 Sold More than Vita because it had a mainline final fantasy, Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest which Vita didnt.
Kind of my overall point. Which is that software is a big reason for Sony's comparative "problems" in Japan and not simply that they make consoles instead of portables.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
My follow up thoughts are this then: The Switch and the PlayStation are fundamentally different machines which offer completely different experiences in their usage. For many years I have heard that The Switch is not proof consoles can still do well in Japan, but in fact the opposite. The success of the Switch is because it is not a traditional console and for other manufacturers to compete they would need to create a similarly compact and portable device that de-emphasizes complimenting technology (i.e. 4K HDR TVs) in favor of the holistic and self-contained experience of the Switch.

So the perspective of this article is different from the one I am usually seeing. It is usually the Switch that is held up as the definitive proof the console market in Japan has moved in a different direction rather than evidence of console viability. It is hard for me to imagine the PlayStation 5 doing well for any of the reasons the Switch has done well.

There are a couple of problems with this argument. First, the Switch Lite. If the handheld nature of the Switch is supposedly the main appeal you'd think the Switch Lite would sell pretty well, potentially on par or higher than the hybrid model. But it isn't, even in Japan. The demand for the Lite is far below the demand for the hybrid. That signals that the home functionality of it is important to the majority of the market.

Second, some of the biggest games on the system are home console games that need to be played on a TV. Specifically, the biggest seller this holiday is Momotaru Dententsu which is essentially a local multiplayer board game which is played as a home console game and not a handheld game. If people in Japan didn't value home consoles then it wouldn't sell like this because people wouldn't be using the Switch as a home console.

Of course the exact hardware of the Switch is definitely having some effect on the demand moreso than a traditional home console would but there's an enormous gulf between selling ~25-30M like Switch will sell and the ~7-8M the PS5 will sell. Putting out software appealing to the Japanese audience is something extremely important in getting such an install base and Sony isn't interested in doing that.

And it's hard to really blame them for that considering how it'll do worldwide, but it's silly to act like there's nothing they could do to push a home console better in Japan.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Every Japanese gamer are getting a Switch AND an Action, FPS, mature games console or PC.
CoD and Apex are really popular here
CoD popularity dropped since 2018. It sold 500k+ back then and will now struggle to reach 200k. Fortnite is more popular on Switch as shown by the sales of the last Fortnite pack which charted only on Switch. Apex is even coming to Switch soon (next month apparently).

Sony has a big competitive edge on Western games but these have been dropping in popularity in the past 2-3 years or so. They'll have their audience but it is an increasingly small one.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Sony is shipping less PS5's to Japan on a week to week basis then they do to Spain, a country with substantially less than half the population, which should make it obvious that Japan is no longer foremost in their thoughts. They also don't seem to be making games that target the JP market.
This entire comparison with Spain doesn't serve the point that Sony is sidelining Japan.
AFAIK weekly shipments for Japan are higher than Spains. LTD numbers should show a massive gap as well (Japan: 255k, Spain: 80-90k I think). Considering PS4 has done really well in Spain, I always wonder why there are no angry people complaining about sidelining Spain.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
CoD popularity dropped since 2018. It sold 500k+ back then and will now struggle to reach 200k. Fortnite is more popular on Switch as shown by the sales of the last Fortnite pack which charted only on Switch. Apex is even coming to Switch soon (next month apparently).

Sony has a big competitive edge on Western games but these have been dropping in popularity in the past 2-3 years or so. They'll have their audience but it is an increasingly small one.
As I added to my post:
MHW and FF14 is also not yet on Switch.

If Nintendo can release a Switch Pro which can offer those type of experiences, Sony might lose even more here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This entire comparison with Spain doesn't serve the point that Sony is sidelining Japan.
AFAIK weekly shipments for Japan are higher than Spains. LTD numbers should show a massive gap as well (Japan: 255k, Spain: 80-90k I think). Considering PS4 has done really well in Spain, I always wonder why there are no angry Spanish people complaining about sidelining Spain.
That's just dumb, you can't put things like this. Spain is a way smaller market than Japan both in demographics and video game sales.

The fact that PS5's first 6 weeks in Japan is still inferior to the Day 1 shipment in the UK, when JP is the 2nd market for PS4 hardware should tell you everything you know. It's been put in the Tier 2 countries, which is equivalent to being sidelined.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK weekly shipments for Japan are higher than Spains. LTD numbers should show a massive gap as well (Japan: 255k, Spain: 80-90k I think). Considering PS4 has done really well in Spain, I always wonder why there are no angry people complaining about sidelining Spain.

A key difference would be that PS5 had one of the biggest(if not THE biggest) launches of all time in Spain whereas that is far from true in Japan.
As I added to my post:

Switch has a new Monster Hunter launching in 2 months, which is offering the type of experience that MHW does. I think Switch's effect on PlayStation is perhaps overestimated but it doesn't have to account for the totality of PS software to be effective competition, just enough of it to make it easy to skip what is missing.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
As I added to my post:

True that's a good point. There are definitely some big franchises that are still missing on Switch like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

However, Monster Hunter is not one of them as Rise is coming on March 26th and will be supported for around 2 years.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its only get worse for Sony if Switch Pro/2 arent fumbled by Nintendo. There really isnt much they can do with Nintendo having the more popular system and owning the biggest IPs in Japan.

2021 is gonna be rough for the PS5.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of my overall point. Which is that software is a big reason for Sony's comparative "problems" in Japan and not simply that they make consoles instead of portables.

I agree but portability plays a much big factor

There are a couple of problems with this argument. First, the Switch Lite. If the handheld nature of the Switch is supposedly the main appeal you'd think the Switch Lite would sell pretty well, potentially on par or higher than the hybrid model. But it isn't, even in Japan. The demand for the Lite is far below the demand for the hybrid. That signals that the home functionality of it is important to the majority of the market.

Second, some of the biggest games on the system are home console games that need to be played on a TV. Specifically, the biggest seller this holiday is Momotaru Dententsu which is essentially a local multiplayer board game which is played as a home console game and not a handheld game. If people in Japan didn't value home consoles then it wouldn't sell like this because people wouldn't be using the Switch as a home console.

Of course the exact hardware of the Switch is definitely having some effect on the demand moreso than a traditional home console would but there's an enormous gulf between selling ~25-30M like Switch will sell and the ~7-8M the PS5 will sell. Putting out software appealing to the Japanese audience is something extremely important in getting such an install base and Sony isn't interested in doing that.

And it's hard to really blame them for that considering how it'll do worldwide, but it's silly to act like there's nothing they could do to push a home console better in Japan.

Having few Home Consoles Games as a sample doesn't prove anything considering the importance of portability in Japan. The system is a hybrid and is marketed as a hybrid , der is some merit of certain home console games doing well because there has always been a market of dedicated home console just not as big as portable

I dont buy the point of Hybrid vs Lite factor either when it comes to sales.

If Standard PS5 edition sells more 80:20 ratio compared to digital only console, would that mean software sales ratio will reflect the same ?