• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Point blank period.

If you haven't seen it before, I warn you that it's a slower watch. But it's absolutely head and shoulders above other sports anime.

The pacing allows for a ton more development, though. And actually, the side characters are so developed that I caught myself Googling who the main character was towards the end of season 1.

Everyone gets legitimate time to shine - especially the rival character... who isn't made out to be the bad guy, at all. In fact, you'll find yourself conflicted between who you want to succeed over the course of the story. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The story already diverges from your standard sports anime in that the protagonist - Sawamura isn't building a team. In fact, he goes to an elite school in the process of rebuilding. They already have a pretty good team, so no spots are guaranteed.

For comparison: as much as I love Haikyuu (and I do), Hinata/Kageyama are guaranteed their spots from the moment they walk in the gym. There's minor "who will be the setter" stuff, but Kageyama is a prodigy as is, so that gets resolved quickly.

In comparison, in Ace of Diamond, there's already an ace pitcher and a relief pitcher. A stroke of fortune/misfortune allows Sawamura an opportunity, but he is NOT irreplaceable. He (and his rival) genuinely have to earn their spots, day in and day out.

And when they do succeed, you really feel it. Just as you do when they fail.

The music is also fantastic. I've never heard a soundtrack so repetitive get placed so perfectly every time. 100+ episodes & shit still slaps.

Anyways, I wrote this up mostly because I love the show, and really wanted to share it with someone. That is all!

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
100% agree with you OP. Love Ace of Diamonds. I can't wait for the next season whenever it comes.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. Ping Pong the animation is the best sports anime (Chihayafuru is also an acceptable answer).

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Baseball? Eugh.

I know sports anime is strangely magical in its ability to make sports bareable to watch, but I think this is pushing it.

(But now that haikyuu is over, could be worth a shot...?)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Chihayafuru is the best sports anime. But I'll watch this just for you, OP.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
That's not how you spell Hajime no Ippo.

Edit: oddly enough I was going to watch this but chose Major instead...

mrbeggar

Dec 31, 2017
Slam Dunk, Ippo, Tsubasa....
Then again what do I know, those books just happen to be sold in the millions across asia and has been so culturally relevant the past 20+ yrs.

coolhandleek

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the whole earlier this year and loved it. I will agree that it's a lot slower in pacing at times but the buildup and character work is nice enough to get you invested.

Personally, I've liked other sports series more (Haikyu, Slam Dunk, Ippo) but I still was obsessed with this show. Have already recommended it to a few others.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does it do the same as Haikyuu as it takes a sport you might not like and actually gets you interested in it?

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even the best anime about high school baseball in Japan...

tumblr_nntyhh2Pp81rg355zo1_500.gifv

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
As a hardcore baseball fan, I find that the best baseball media is hardly about the sport itself. To that end, Cross Game is a pretty great baseball anime, Moneyball is a pretty great baseball movie.

Other sports anime like Haikyuu and SLAM DUNK really elevate the sport itself to where you can't help but want to join a pick up game immediately.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
It's still Haikyuu, though.
I dropped AoD when
they lost their first play-offs which meant the third years didn't get their redemption and I'm assuming left the team since they graduated afterwards. This shit made me incredibly mad. First and only time I rage-quit an anime...

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think my favorite is Future GPX Cyber Formula. SLAM DUNK is also great but you gotta read the manga for the true resolution so I will discount it for that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it do the same as Haikyuu as it takes a sport you might not like and actually gets you interested in it?

Yep! Didn't give a shit about baseball, but I learned a good amount about it. It's more interesting than I thought :)

Main character sucked ass for way too long.

I feel you, but it some ways it made it better.

Again, the comparison to Haikyuu... Hinata and Kageyama get better, but they never really suffer the pain of "wow, I really fucked up"

Honestly, most sports anime does that. Sawamura has to earn his spot, and it's more realistic growth.

It's still Haikyuu, though.

I dropped AoD when
they lost their first play-offs which meant the third years didn't get their redemption and I'm assuming left the team since they graduated afterwards. This shit made me incredibly mad. First and only time I rage-quit an anime...

That hurt me too, but it also made it that much more realistic. And made the stakes feel more real.

It's super painful but also life. Though other sports anime usually swerve that problem, so if they did the same thing, I think AoD would have stood out less.

Also

the way the first & second years develop make you love them anyways

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my problem with show, I enjoyed it in spite of the MC but never finished the first season.

I recommend going back! I didn't finish the first time around myself; I only appreciated it fully when I rewatched it later.

Well I got a Crunchyroll subscription 3 days ago and I think I saw this title somewhere in there, so I might as well check it out once I'm done with Dr. Stone :)

Definitely give it a shot :)

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard good things but Haikyuu is actually the best. I will watch Ace of Diamond at some point tho

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard good things but Haikyuu is actually the best. I will watch Ace of Diamond at some point tho

To each their own!

I like Haikyuu, but I think I'd like it more if it wasn't a really standard sports anime. And I like the standard just fine (else I wouldn't be watching it), but that's why I don't personally put it above AoD..

Though I hear the manga eventually gets past some of those things just because of how long it lasts, so I'm really looking forward to future seasons.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Yep! Didn't give a shit about baseball, but I learned a good amount about it. It's more interesting than I thought :)

I feel you, but it some ways it made it better.

Again, the comparison to Haikyuu... Hinata and Kageyama get better, but they never really suffer the pain of "wow, I really fucked up"

Honestly, most sports anime does that. Sawamura has to earn his spot, and it's more realistic growth.

That hurt me too, but it also made it that much more realistic. And made the stakes feel more real.

It's super painful but also life. Though other sports anime usually swerve that problem, so if they did the same thing, I think AoD would have stood out less.

Also

the way the first & second years develop make you love them anyways
To each their own!

I like Haikyuu, but I think I'd like it more if it wasn't a really standard sports anime. And I like the standard just fine (else I wouldn't be watching it), but that's why I don't personally put it above AoD..

Though I hear the manga eventually gets past some of those things just because of how long it lasts, so I'm really looking forward to future seasons.
Have you seen Major?

..and the sequel series?

Clear main character but unconventional journey.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Not when Ashita no Joe and Attack no 1 exist,that share the same scriptwriter.

Latter even adresses issues not found in the manga, like racism in the usa (mc visits New York slums) and Kenya's independence.

Oct 25, 2017
I like Ace of Diamond since you get to see a team grow and fall and grow again with roster changes.

Haikyuu is my favorite overall though.

And Free!! has a special place in my heart.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I love baseball but have never watched Ace of Diamond or Major actually. I find it hard to imagine that someone other Adachi has made the best sports series though, so you should check out Mix as its recent. I also really enjoyed both seasons of Gurazeni, but I suspect we won't get any more of it.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
No time to read all the OP, but if you have already watched Kuroko, Slam dunk, Haikyu, ping pong and my all time favorite Captain Tsubasa and yet you say Ace Of Diamond, i guess it's time for me to watch it.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely love Ace of Diamond. It didn't get me into baseball since I loved it before but it definitely made me enjoy it more. It's not a standard sports anime that's for sure, and is a great ride.

I prefer the manga though, for anime I can't help but love Haikyuu more. The animation, godlike OST, and emotional moments all hit harder for me.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good show but I don't agree it's the best sports anime. That belongs to Keijo!!!

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Disagree. Ping Pong the animation is the best sports anime (Chihayafuru is also an acceptable answer).
No.

Ping Pong >Run With the Wind>>>the others.
That is not how you spell Ping Pong the Animation.
Ping Pong and Hajime no Ippo tbqh

Came in here for this. You are good people.

Historically best though is Ashita no Joe. For this reason Hajime no Ippo gets a comfortable 3rd place.