• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I've always had an interest in arcade flight combat games. And yet, one series I've never gotten around to has always been the Ace Combat franchise, mostly due to how complex the series is, having seven installments over four console generations with several spinoffs as well. And to make matters worse, I know there is an ongoing storyline, as the game is basically a political thriller set on a world that's basically our world with different countries and names.

So where should I start? Are there remasters of older games or reboots? Should I start from the beginning? Or am I overthinking it and should just get AC7 and start blowing shit up?

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
With the exception of Assault Horizon, all the Ace Combat games take place in the same universe, but the stories are relatively self-contained. There's a few details that reference previous games, but you're fine starting from 7.

7 had a pre-order bonus with an upscaled version of Ace Combat 5 but it's no longer available, so the only other way to play the older games is to dig up your PS2 for 4,5, and 0/Xbox 360 for 6 or play them on an emulator.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
I was in pretty much your exact position about a year ago, and decided to start with the PS1 version of the first game. I enjoyed it a lot, and moved on to the 3DS remake of the second one. It was so fundamentally different as to be practically unrecognizable, so I decided I'd rather see the evolution of the series in the order it happened in, and dropped it in favor of the original 2. I enjoyed that even more than the first one, and the fan translated version of 3 was even better still.

I haven't gotten around to playing the PS2 games yet, but they're on my list.

If I were you I'd try the PS1 version of the first game and if that seems too basic to you, maybe try skipping to one of the later ones. Otherwise go in order.

Oct 27, 2017
Just pick up 7 and go from there. It is a beginner friendly game and the most accessible.

Best ones that I played are 7, 5, 0, 3 (japanese uncut version) and I also like 4. I have fond memories of the ones on the PSP too.

Assault Horizon on the 3DS is a game I am planning to play soon. It is supposedly a remake of one of the first games in the series rather than a port of the OG AH game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As somebody who just played their first with 7, just jump in there. I didn't feel like I missed anything by starting there tbh.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
5, 6, 7 are probably all you need to play. They're all so good. 6 is the worst of the 3 but still worthwhile.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I'd love to tell you to play them in release order but unless you have a ps2 available you're out of luck I remember them emulating poorly. You'll do fine just playing 7.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to tell you to play them in release order but unless you have a ps2 available you're out of luck I remember them emulating poorly. You'll do fine just playing 7.

Ace Combat 4/5/0 on PS2 are pretty damn good now. There's a great detailed guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-z4rt3TRGA.

There used to be a bunch of issues with vertical black lines with a lot of Namco's PS2 games (Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc.) when using hardware rendering, but they're largely fixed. There are still a number of per-game hacks you'll need to truly make them shine, like de-interlacing codes and weird pixel offset stuff though.

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
So where should I start? Are there remasters of older games or reboots? Should I start from the beginning? Or am I overthinking it and should just get AC7 and start blowing shit up?

You can skip 1 and 2, they are more scored based games.

If you have time and really want to get the most out of it then you can start at 3( there is a translation of the japanese verions if you know where to look) the US version cut all the story and branching paths. Then move on to 4, Zero 5 and if you really want 6 but that one is 360 exclusive.

5 and 6 have remasters but they where tied to pre orders and console exclusives, 5 for PS and 6 for Xbox. So im not sure you can get them today.

However if you want to start to blow shit up and some epic music you can start 7 and have a great time. If you still want more there are 3 DLC missions and 6 DLC planes, the last 3 that came out this year are very OP but so damn fun.

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

I've got a PS2 with an HDMI converter, so no issue there.

Man, Namco is leaving a lot of money on the table not doing remasters, especially when they are willing to remaster everything else.

Oct 26, 2017
You can jump in anywhere, although the AC4 is the start of the identity that the series is known for. Yes, it's set in the same world but all they've really done is layer more and more convoluted storytelling as is typical for these sorts of action games, but the important part is that each game has it's own self contained narrative. Of course you can happily enjoy the games and not give a toss about the story.

Hamish Black did a good video on the most recent game that describes what the games do particularly well.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Play 7 first and if you like the gameplay, catch up with the PS2 holy trinity, then try out 6 if you have an Xbox (exclusive, only available via BC).

Also while you are at it, Project Wingman is a lovely imitator.

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
4/5/0 are pretty cheap on eBay if you have aps2 or can run pcsx2. If not, just get 7. It's a great entry point

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I started with 7. I suppose this song alone can lure to trying 5 though:

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't have a PS2 or want to try and emulate, then you can start with 7. It does reference other games and such, but it's not a huge deal, just like "ahh it's cool to see that again!" Honestly the PS2 ones are worth playing. Amazing soundtracks. Skip Assault horizon though.

Oct 25, 2017
You can start with 7, if you like 7 find a way to play 4, 5, 0 and 6. If you love those then play 2, if you love 2 play 3 with the international patch.
5 is in my top 3 favorite games of all time.