• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

Good night! Oh...my god...... Why does
@IGN
US's ACE COMBAT 7 review movie... Why do you use "Normal "flight system...Why don't you use "expert"? Oh, I disappointed you...

Expalanation from Yekbot:

The standard handling will turn your plane in a more familiar way; pushing left and right on the stick will turn your plane left and right. Expert handling gives you more precise control. Pushing left and right on the stick will roll the plane instead of turning it, meaning you'll need to control this in conjunction with the vehicle's pitch (up and down movements) to make turns.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty weird to have them complaining about having to learn the game, and then not actually doing so >.>

EDIT: There is a decent amount of expert footage in the review though. Iunno, it's probably not the best thing to have the director commenting on anyway, just for PR reasons.

Last edited:

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Being disappointed someone used the default control method in your game. Makes sense, IGN had a lot of valid complaints really in their review

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While in some ways I agree and it isn't a great review you have to expect this when you call what used to be the "Novice" control scheme "Normal"...

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Seems silly to put a control scheme in the game and then complain when people actually use it and don't like the game as much as you want them to as a result.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Interesting he would mention that review. Of course out of all the critic reviews on metacritic thats the one that seems to not really paid much attention to the game.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
Never thought I would say this, but, in IGN's defense (sic!), the game does default to the standard control scheme.

And yes, using the standard control scheme makes you feel like you are controlling a kite.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The IGN review is bad but having the novice controls called "normal" and the normal controls called "expert" was a stupid move.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
They put baby-mode controls on by default? That's almost as stupid as Nintendo putting motion controls on in MK8D by default. Why do companies make these kind of mistakes? Surely they have to know that a large percentage of players won't customise their controls or go digging through menus. If you have a optional control mode which is clearly inferior, bury that shit.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not a great look for the director. If you're gonna shame people for using your control methods, don't include them

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
In fairness calling something "standard" kind of implies "this is what you should pick". It's like calling a difficulty level "normal" then calling out a reviewer for playing on it instead of "expert" when theyre... not an Expert. The older games called them beginner and normal iirc and defaulted to normal.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Truth be told, I used the Expert controls for the campaign and use Normal for multiplayer. It works great for lining up certain shots.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
He's only going to Streisand the review, you think in 2019 people would figure this out by now.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Was the meaning of 'Normal' and 'Expert' lost in translation when translating the game's menus?

It sounds like it should be 'Casual' and 'Normal'.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a terrible review, but they shouldn't have renamed Novice to Normal.

The IGN reviews complains about having to learn how to play, having to listen to mission briefings and radio chatter to learn what your objectives are, and how the game doesn't hold your hand and requires you to "solve the puzzle" of each mission.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy, I wonder if it's a localization thing. But "expert" was always Normal in the previous games.

I'm trying to remember what AC5 did, since I'm playing through it for the first time right now. You're right that it uses "Novice" and "Normal" for names rather than "Standard/Normal" and "Expert." I want to say AC5 defaults to Novice, but I think they also make you explicitly choose at the beginning and explain what each control scheme does to an extent. Dunno if AC7 does the same thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect the dig is less at the IGN review, and more at whoever internally made the decision that the terminology should be changed.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
What's even more funny is that "novice" controls are much harder to use than "expert".
There whole option should just be removed, I don't know anyone who use the "novice" controls.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Seems silly to put a control scheme in the game and then complain when people actually use it and don't like the game as much as you want them to as a result.

Expert controls is more involving and requires more thought put into the handling. They have already put the "normal" controls in recent AC games for people who wants a more casual experience. I don't see the issue, it's not about "liking" something, it's about personal preferences. That's why you are supposed...to switch controls if one doesn't fit

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the IGN review isn't great but it did had some valid points and I feel like the director's comments are weird because he's upset that the reviewer used the standard controls... those controls being the default and the director's comments paints a picture of the director perhaps losing an internal battle?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe he should get with the times and utilize proper checkpoints and remove those archaic mission timers

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
IGN everybody.

They can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p

They don't know if The Last Guardian is actually cancelled or not.

They can't get over the Alien A.I. thus Alien Isolation gets 5.9/10

They can't figure out if their reviewer is stealing other people's review or not.

They can't be bothered to tune the settings in Borderland VR therefore it's a shit VR game.

Seriously.

How many people's hardwork are tainted not because they made a bad game but because the reviewer over at IGN are utterly incompetent?

Why is IGN still the biggest review site when we have far more competent review sites like Skill Up, GameXplain and EasyAllies?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's even more funny is that "novice" controls are much harder to use than "expert".
There whole option should just be removed, I don't know anyone who use the "novice" controls.
when I was a kid I played AC2 with novice controls. Just couldnt handle expert.

Let it stay, but I agree with people saying it should be novice, not normal.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I have no idea if the IGN review is any good or not, but complaining that people are using "Normal" controls is extremely dumb and makes the director look like a jerk.

Like, you're "disappointed" in them using the default control scheme? What the fuck?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
If both controls are in the game then you should review the game with both controls.
You shouldn't just pick one of them and based your entire opinion on that one control type.

Imagine reviewers complaining about the auto aim in RDR2 when they could've just turn it off themselves. It's the same fucking thing.

If the complaints you have with the game can be addressed by different control type then that complaint shouldn't even be there.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Seems like a case of the localization getting screwed up more than anything; they should not have called "Novice" the "Normal" control scheme. The way localization got screwed up here reminds me of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and how its localization screwed up the names of the difficulties (English version is Easy/Normal/Hard, but it's actually supposed to be Normal/Hard/Lunatic), and the change likely affected reviews since difficulty was a sticking point for a fair number of people.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed at Bandai Namco and their pre-order bonuses that they didn't fulfill. Almost no store here got codes although they were supposed to be universal bonuses for all pre-orders.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
If both controls are in the game then you should review the game with both controls.
You shouldn't just pick one of them and based your entire opinion on that one control type.

Imagine reviewers complaining about the auto aim in RDR2 when they could've just turn it off themselves. It's the same fucking thing.

In some games there are multiple ways the controls can be mapped. It's ridiculous to assert that a game should be tested using each one. Otherwise, people wouldn't be complaining about RDRII here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In some games there are multiple ways the controls can be mapped. It's ridiculous to assert that a game should be tested using each one. Otherwise, people wouldn't be complaining about RDRII here.
I don't agree, If there are multiple ways than yes the game should be tested with the different controls because maybe the reviewer will like one better or just that they should talk about the different control options.

Nov 1, 2017
I watched the video twice but any mention of the controls is passing over my head. The only thing that I saw was the reviewer saying there could have been better tutorial/refreshers for the controls because it's been a while since the last game, all the criticisms in the video seem fair.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
The control schemes are poorly labelled, however when you start the game for the first time it does offer both schemes with an explanation of what each is doing. I do think the review if struggling with controls has a duty to go and look at alternative control schemes.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I plan on picking it up this week. Are there any advanced maneuver guides I should watch or read to prepare?? I am concerned about the difficulty level.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I am totally with the Ace Combat developer on this but at the same time I wish developers stopped offering this stupid ''entry level'' half-assed casual control.
If you think the ''hardcore'' control offers the best experience then don't be afraid to let people use it. We are not babies.

Appealing to core player is always the way to go, a real good game will turn casual players into hardcore fans. You don't have to casualize your game.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It sounds to me like he disappointed them according to the tweet. Like he knows he or the local team screwed up in the naming process of the control schemes.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While the IGN review is bad I don't blame them on that issue. They should have made expert the default or at least called the assist controls something else.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
IGN everybody.

They can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p

They don't know if The Last Guardian is actually cancelled or not.

They can't get over the Alien A.I. thus Alien Isolation gets 5.9/10

They can't figure out if their reviewer is stealing other people's review or not.

They can't be bothered to tune the settings in Borderland VR therefore it's a shit VR game.

Seriously.

How many people's hardwork are tainted not because they made a bad game but because the reviewer over at IGN are utterly incompetent?

Why is IGN still the biggest review site when we have far more competent reviewers at sites like GameXplain and EasyAllies?

They DID figure out that their reviewer was a thief. They reviewed the material once reported and fired his ass...not sure what more you wanted them to do? You expect them to read/watch every review from every other outlet to make sure their employees aren't plagiarists? Be realistic.

As for this latest thing, the "casual" controls were called Normal. It's not unreasonable to think that the default way a game should be played would be under Normal...that's on the devs/publishers/whoever decided to make the call to do that to the controls. It may be the latest entry in a long running series, but there's something to be said for it possibly being the first experience of the series for some. That could/should be taken into account a bit better. IGN's had issues over the years, like many review sites, but I feel this one is being overblown by being a combo of it being IGN, and the game being a more "hardcore" one for a more niche crowd.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Well for whatever reason they renamed the two control schemes to "Normal" and "Expert" when it used to be "Novice" and "Normal", at least in the English version.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds to me like he disappointed them according to the tweet. Like he knows he or the local team screwed up.
I dont know if he mean that they screwed up, but yeah, it sounds like his not disappointed in the IGN review, but maybe rather that they didnt use the expert controls if they complained about the normal controls (if that is the case?)?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting that the review video posted doesn't mention anything about the control schemes tested, so we're mostly basing this off the footage, which may or may not be the reviewer playing the game.

The review text mentions advanced controls several times, so it's not at all clear to me that the reviewer didn't know about or use them.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Well for whatever reason they renamed the two control schemes to "Normal" and "Expert" when it used to be "Novice" and "Normal", at least in the English version.

It's crazy how such a small detail can completely change the way your product is perceived - unfortunate in their case since they probably don't see the nuances as well.