• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Any fighter pilots on this forum who will be able to tell us how close this game's VR comes to the real thing?

Not a fighter pilot but I spend a lot of time on sims. In terms of immersion for cockpit based games, VR beats flat screen hands down no two ways about it(See: Wipeout).

Ace combat seems to have the graphical fidelity, as in it models the planes graphically quite well but in terms of flight modelling it's very simplistic. Understand that it's more of an action game than a flight sim, you can replace all the models with robots and nothing would feel amiss.

That said, I wish someone would reskin this for Macross VR. In anycase I bought my PSVR for this title back in Dec '17 so it's been a long ass wait.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
its not a great feeling

wildlands is a good contender

Tried Windlands sitting/standing on the DK2 Rift and sitting/standing on the Vive. I felt fine. I've loaded up No Limit Coasters 2 (which is great if you're into VR roller coasters) and stood up on the ride and faced backwards to try experience VR sickness and it didn't do it. I just want to understand what it feels like when it triggers. I have temporarily lost my balance and stumbled or leaned forward and that's always cool. Usually happens when I'm playing a roomscale game and I step on to a moving platform.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting try out, but I already think I've experienced the pinnacle with DCS F-18, Vive, TM Warthog HOTAS.

How is that for motion sickness? I only played war thunder for a short time. But I imagine it shouldn't be bad - wonder if it is just the guy doing weird stuff

I'm fine with driving games if you're doing 'predictable' things like following the track but crashes are not pleasant

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Tried Windlands sitting/standing on the DK2 Rift and sitting/standing on the Vive. I felt fine. I've loaded up No Limit Coasters 2 (which is great if you're into VR roller coasters) and stood up on the ride and faced backwards to try experience VR sickness and it didn't do it. I just want to understand what it feels like when it triggers. I have temporarily lost my balance and stumbled or leaned forward and that's always cool. Usually happens when I'm playing a roomscale game and I step on to a moving platform.

its long lasting and deep, kinda the same way you get nausea after being hit in the balls.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This looks incredible. Did they ever explain why the whole game doesn't support VR? Also is it normal for VR sickness lasting as long as it seems like it did for him? What I wouldn't do for a flight game like this done entirely in VR.

You're supposed to peace out as soon as you start feeling symptoms.
The longer you try to power through it the worse things get.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Mixed feelings on this one.

I love that it's awesome in VR and can't wait to play it but now also gutted because it's only a few missions instead of a full VR campaign like they first talked about.

Really hope they add more VR missions in DLC or a patch after release.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Not buying this for only 3 missions. Would have bought it if the whole game was playable in VR and I don't even like Ace Combat.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
So how big are these 3 missions actually? If it means 1 hour of gameplay, I'll pass.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there supposed to be a 'free flight' option too? That would probably be enough for me

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
3 missions, one of which is the tutorial, is pretty underwhelming, though. Early in dev they were targeting 5-7 VR missions. Hopefully they can add more as DLC later.

Two missions and a tutorial? Damn... I'm really struggling with where to buy this one. Got a base PS4 with VR, an X and a PC with Oculus. Was leaning towards PS4 for the VR but don't really wanna take the visuals hit based on two missions and a tutorial in VR. Maybe PC with the hope of VR coming later. Haven't played an Ace Combat game for decades.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If I get to be Mobius 1 again I can put up with a bit of sickness!

The main story seems like proper Ace Combat greatness as well!

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
my only gripe is thinking originally that VR was going to be the whole game and not 3 missions. (I'm going to wait till it hits a cheaper price)

I can only agree. It was such a disappointment to me. They could have expanded it a little more and I would have been fine with it, but this just feels like it's too meagre. As it is now, I'm also going to wait until the price drops, as VR is the main reason I'm interested in the game.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The guy asking the question "You see people coming back from flying in a hey with a pilot and "puking noises" maybe it's just that convincing?".

No...