• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
qFfxY33.png

Metacritic: 81
Opencritic: 81

Wccftech 9.1/10
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown's aerial dogfighting is absolutely exhilarating in multiplayer and might very well be my #1 multiplayer game to start out 2019 once my HOTAS arrives.

Game Informer 8/10
For fans of this long-running series, this is the Ace Combat we've known and loved for decades, and it's great to have it back. The dogfighting is rightfully the highlight and will give your reflexes a good workout.

Eurogamer: Recommended
Ace Combat 7 is the real deal with a perfect blend of new and classic ideas packed into a cohesive, highly replayable package. There aren't many games quite like this being released today so whether you're a returning fan that has missed the classic series or a newcomer looking for something a little different, it's an absolute must-play.

Digitally Downloaded 4.5/5
It's now in its 20th year, but Ace Combat 7 shows that there's plenty of life yet in the series. Neither pure arcade, nor hardcore simulation, it straddles the line it needs to offer both a sense of flight and fast, furious dogfight action, even as it tells a cinematic and genuinely enjoyable story.

IGN 7/10
Ace Combat 7: Unknown Skies is a great-looking arcade flight combat game, and zipping over high-quality terrain trying to establish missile locks and evade pursuers can be a lot of fun. But the experience often gets weighed down by its weird and convoluted but persistent story and poor communication of objectives. It's enough to prove that there's room for the series to make a comeback, though this game will be not the one to jumpstart it.

Gamespot 8/10

Good aerial combat is important for a game involving jet fighters, but it's a given quality for Ace Combat. Skies Unknown boasts a beautiful photorealistic world, entertaining mission variety, and a reason to get excited about clouds. But most importantly, it carries renewed devotion to the history and stories of its fictional universe, and with that, it brings back the human, emotional center that makes it remarkable. Ace Combat 7 is a fantastic return for a series that is at its best when it wears its heart on its wings.

ACG: Buy

Playstation Universe: 8.5/10
Ace Combat 7 delivers a perfectly honed iteration of a familiar framework, making vast visual and gameplay improvements while still maintaining the familiar structure of Ace Combat. Balancing the angst of seeing a war from multiple sides, every mission you fly feels consequential, your tiny contributions having an effect on the events of a world that is so much larger than the pilot known as Trigger. Ace Combat 7 is a must for flight-sim fans and a fantastic addition to the series.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer

Rest assured, Ace Combat 7 is packed with moments like this and it feels better than ever when engaged in combat. There's a weight and sense of momentum to your plane now - like a steel blade slicing through the clouds. When engaged in dog fights, you have options for making high-G turns, using your aerial brakes and strategic stalls to almost drift around your foes which feels so satisfying to master.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget the Eurogamer review I wrote! That should balance out the IGN one.

Edit - whelp, there we go ha ha

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Hows the soundtrack? It's important!
Via Eurogamer

All of this is backed by a wonderfully crafted soundtrack featuring several longtime series composers including Keiki Kobayashi, Junichi Nakatsuru and Hiroshi Okubo among others. It's a tremendous effort and one that is central to the Ace Combat experience. Each mission features a carefully orchestrated selection of music designed to set the tone while radio chatter fills the air around you. The soundscape also changes dynamically as you plunge in and out of cloud cover leading to some dramatic moments.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
IGN one seems a little off to me.

"your plane is constantly moving, so you need to know what you want to hit and when you want to hit it"

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A moratorium should be put on sharing reviews from IGN.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I wondered what it means in the IGN review about "poor communication of objectives." I watched a guy's video review earlier and he said he was confused by a lot of objectives and kept failing until he realized that he needed to actually pay attention to the mission briefs and listen to the commands coming over the radio during flight rather than just trying to kill enemies while waiting for an update on the HUD. Actually learning what you have to do from the briefs and wingmen sounds much more immersive than ignoring all of it and waiting for instructions to pop up on the HUD. I can't tell from their review if they just don't like that aspect of learning the game or if they are saying it isn't implemented well. It seems like the latter, but the videos I watched earlier made it seem pretty clear and now easy to figure out, and I'm not even a seasoned franchise veteran, only getting into the series on the 360 and on.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, that IGN review is wack. Complaining about having to actually listen to the debriefs and the radio? What a joke.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wondered what it means in the IGN review about "poor communication of objectives." I watched a guy's video review earlier and he said he was confused by a lot of objectives and kept failing until he realized that he needed to actually pay attention to the mission briefs and listen to the commands coming over the radio during flight rather than just trying to kill enemies while waiting for an update on the HUD. Actually learning what you have to do from the briefs and wingmen sounds much more immersive than ignoring all of it and waiting for instructions to pop up on the HUD. I can't tell from their review if they just don't like that aspect of learning the game or if they are saying it isn't implemented well. It seems like the latter, but the videos I watched earlier made it seem pretty clear and now easy to figure out, and I'm not even a seasoned franchise veteran, only getting into the series on the 360 and on.
It seems modern AAA game design has stupified some gamers. I guess they were just waiting to have pop-up windows every 15 seconds R*-style telling them exactly what to do step by step.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
That IGN review is trash. Complaining that it takes time to learn how to play, really?

This is an unfortunate take.
The vast majority of the IGN complaints were related to the story. There was just the one paragraph where they - rightly - criticized the lack of a training mode or any effort to fully explain the mechanics.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This franchise... Im just not sure why.. always makes me tear up... with tears of joy. Between the music, story, graphics, the thrill of flying, I feel the devs passion for it and its been this way since AC1 for me. Love this, glad the game is scoring well. Well deserved.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
It seems modern AAA game design has stupified some gamers. I guess they were just waiting to have pop-up windows every 15 seconds R*-style telling them exactly what to do step by step.
I'm not typically a "turn the HUD off and get fully immersed" gamer and it seems like that stuff has become pretty popular lately. I pretty much always need subtitles on in any game (I'm kind of hard of hearing, and I'm usually playing games when my kids are asleep so I need the volume low), so I'm used to leaving HUDs on in a lot of the games like Assassin's Creed that have the option to get rid of them. And I don't ever turn off waypoints or anything like that in games that use them.
The way instructions are handled in this game seem alright to me though. What I saw in the video I watched seemed really cool and didn't seem like it would be an annoyance. I wonder if them more than likely having to retry missions multiple times after failing them (something I remember from the few Ace Combat games that I have played) exacerbated their feeling like they did not know what they were supposed to do immediately in a mission and come down harder on the "trial and error" style of gameplay.

Aug 11, 2018
Xbox One is pretty expected given their UE4 games hit 720p across the board, the performance isn't though.

Didn't think a game would be worse than Spyro in terms of Pro/X difference, bummer.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This franchise... Im just not sure why.. always makes me tear up... with tears of joy. Between the music, story, graphics, the thrill of flying, I feel the devs passion for it and its been this way since AC1 for me. Love this, glad the game is scoring well. Well deserved.
Same for me, AC4 was the last game I was able to play with my best friend before he died so the franchise means a lot to me. Jumping into the first few missions of this one got me in my feelings. Glad to have a really good Ace Combat again.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm being thoroughly convinced IGN is just a website pitching reviews for the rubes. Plenty of players out there I imagine would hastily ignore briefing, tutorials, and question only where the 'shoot' button is. They need an editorial critique that voices opinions through their lens too...

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Reading the IGN review makes it sound like the complaints are a valid viewpoint for somebody not well-versed in the series. It also read like he found controlling planes pretty challenging regardless of the difficulty selected.

I also get how AC asks players to pay attention to briefings and be aware of radio chatter as more than just background flavor. It's not a skill you get a lot of chance to practice these days; jumping into a Musou game for the first time in a long time a while ago, it took a few tries to get back to the understanding that I need to listen out to mission-critical barks from NPCs and watch the map. This feels similar.

As opposed to? Are they expecting a shooter on rails?

That quote is out of context. It's the opener of the review and isn't meant to be critical, just to highlight that, as the player, you need to keep a situational awareness of your position and the flow of battle.

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
Cant wait till tonight! Really looking forward to the VR stuff, but maybe I'll wait till I get my HOTAS to experience that. Anyone heard of any updates to delivery timing with it?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
So, January is not even over and I see we already have a strong candidate for best OST of the year. What a soundtrack.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm being thoroughly convinced IGN is just a website pitching reviews for the rubes. Plenty of players out there I imagine would hastily ignore briefing, tutorials, and question only where the 'shoot' button is. They need an editorial critique that voices opinions through their lens too...

Wrote the same in my review, for first timers it is a really hard game. People familiar with Ace Combat won't have any issues at all but I can imagine that many gamers will curse with the learning curve and absent of any explanation.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the PC version have to come out so much later than the others??? :(