• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I have to complain about the game lacking the Panavia Tornado. Cool aircraft, and was very fun to fly in AC6 (can't recall if it was in ACAH), surprisingly capable in air combat despite being nominally an attacker.

Wonder what aircraft the DLC/Season Pass will include. If they'll go with purely original aircraft (to avoid licensing costs or whatever), it seems likely that previous "superplanes", the ADF-01 FALKEN (multiple games), CFA-44 Nosferatu (AC6, ACAH DLC) and ASF-X Shinden II (ACAH DLC), or variants of these, could be plausible.

There aren't many modern planes (at least commonly know) missing from the game as it is. Variants of existing planes would be quite lackluster. The Harrier perhaps, but its VTOL feature would be likely hard to depict reasonably without additional controls, and this is likely the reason why the plane's in the game but not playable.
Perhaps they'll go for older planes, after all this game features the the F-104 Starfighter and MiG-21 (and F-4 with pre-order DLC). There's many to pick from after all, some notable ones being A-4 Skyhawk, F-5 Freedom Fighter, F-105 Thunderchief, F-111 Aardwark, F-106 Delta Dart, F-100 Super Sabre, MiG-23 "Flogger", MiG-19 "Farmer", Su-24 "Fencer", Su-25 Frogfoot...
EDIT Or some European ones: Dassault Mirage III, SAAB Draken or Viggen, Panavia Tornado.

I would get a DLC Shinden, hoping they release the sci-fi planes personally.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. I don't exactly take back what I said about AC5's story, but holy crap is AC7's story worse. It's like it's written by Tommy Wiseau or something. None of the dialogue is anything an actual human being would say.

How?
I played it on Easy with F-15C with PLS. Didn't have any issues, despite zig-zagging all over the map. (Ran out of PLS ammo midway the mission due to being overtly liberal using it.)

EDIT Do you mean "supply ships"? 'Cause i don't remember any bombers in the mission.

There's a wave of five bombers that fly in from the east. The supply ships come in later.

I did finally get it a few tries later. I think sticking to the north gave me a shorter path and allowed me to take them out with more time on the clock. Also ignored the missile lock and stuck behind the bombers longer. I was flying the F-15E with the 6AAMs, FWIW.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if i was close the bombers when they spawned, i really don't recall needing to hurry for anything.
F-15E is slightly slower than F-15C, so that might play part here. Hrmm, i gotta try the mission with a slower plane next time.

I don't find AAMs to be particularly useful in this game so far. They feel too inaccurate and/or weak without SP weapon upgrades, but i'm inclined to upgrade my plane and standard missiles rather than specials, usually.

Speaking of specials, HVAA's feel pretty good. If fired from right angle, they usually get to the enemy before they can do anything, especially with SP weapon power upgrade. LAAMs feel pretty similar all in all, though trading speed for range.
Uncertain about QAAMs. Extra agility is good but they feel too valuable to use, and some extra maneuvering is likely enough to allow using standard missiles. Then again they're rare enough i haven't used them much. (Never cared for them in AC6, too few to be useful against drones, too few to be used against normal enemies.)
SAAMs are too fiddly, for sniping HVAA or LAAM does the job, for close combat i might as well use a gun or PLS if i have to keep reticle aimed at my target.
Haven't tried HPAAs or HCAAs yet but on paper both seem dubious. Any experiences with those?

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
I just realized that this game takes place on the same continent as AC04. So, did ISAF become a part of Osean Federation?

Nov 7, 2017
Do the aces not spawn on easy mode? or do you have to do them in order? Im trying to get the jester mig29a skin and its not spawning after i do all the conditions

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought reviewers were exaggerating but I've died multiple times in the last few missions.

I don't really appreciate the mission types where you have to score a certain amount of points under a time limit.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I found this recap of the story extremely funny and mostly accurate, and I think it hasn't been posted:

Full disclosure: I didn't know what was going on half the time throughout the game.

Overall, I feel like the missions are more fun than most other games in the series, but 5 did a much better job at contextualizing those missions and featuring actual memorable characters. I feel like the only interesting character in this game was Mr. X. Sure 5 was much more ham-fisted and anime in its presentation, but at the same time, I loved it for it.

Nov 8, 2017
Welp that took a turn. Really trying to enjoy this game but every other mission is a slog through all the worst elements of the AC series. For every awesome one like the naval base assault in mission 11, you get to do 2 or more missions of the following:

- Fly at a specific altitude/path
- Fight nature trying not to freeze out of the sky or crash into the ground because somehow the weather forecast is always fog and clouds from 700m to 4500m
- Fight multiple dozens of UAVs that are all determined to attack just you, with no help and no ability to get the targeting system to work properly
- Fight the most maneuverable ace pilots in the entire series that, even when hit, take more missiles than any enemy from the PS2 games

Fighting the controls, the HUD, and struggling to see targets? Checkpoints are helpful but they are only barely helping me get through the frustration of this poorly designed game. Someone please confirm that the missions actually get better.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Welp that took a turn. Really trying to enjoy this game but every other mission is a slog through all the worst elements of the AC series. For every awesome one like the naval base assault in mission 11, you get to do 2 or more missions of the following:

- Fly at a specific altitude/path
- Fight nature trying not to freeze out of the sky or crash into the ground because somehow the weather forecast is always fog and clouds from 700m to 4500m
- Fight multiple dozens of UAVs that are all determined to attack just you, with no help and no ability to get the targeting system to work properly
- Fight the most maneuverable ace pilots in the entire series that, even when hit, take more missiles than any enemy from the PS2 games

Fighting the controls, the HUD, and struggling to see targets? Checkpoints are helpful but they are only barely helping me get through the frustration of this poorly designed game. Someone please confirm that the missions actually get better.
Mission 19 is certainly a highlight of the series.

But... as someone who started this series with AC6, I do miss the large scale battles and relative free form nature of the missions.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the game and thankfully the AC5 port came with it.

Four missions in:
I have played 4 missions so far and I am not sure what is going on in the plot, particularly the girl in the prison, does she ever become playable in the game or is the story a bit separate from the missions?

Oct 27, 2017
One baffling thing is that there is no Coop mode, especially considering the fact that you're almost always flying with at least 3 Wingmen.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I'm playing multiplayer literally none of my missiles hit their targets and I always die the most. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm always pumping the brakes and banking hard to avoid missiles, using flares, and trying to get close to fire mine, and still I don't get even a single hit. Ever.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
If you're playing on pc and missed the performance thread
For the people who'd like to increase draw distances:
You can increase the game draw distances by editing the game's Engine.ini file located in "C/Windows/User/YOURNAME/AppData/Local/BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment/ACE COMBAT 7/Config".

Then add the following lines in the file:
[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.ViewDistanceScale=10
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.1
r.Streaming.HLODStrategy=2

As you can see here, the draw distances have been greatly improved:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/129240

Which means trees and buildings are now displayed at a far greater distance.
I hope it helped.
Makes a huge difference

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I got the game and thankfully the AC5 port came with it.

Four missions in:
I have played 4 missions so far and I am not sure what is going on in the plot, particularly the girl in the prison, does she ever become playable in the game or is the story a bit separate from the missions?
She's a pot character like the reporter from ace zero and five

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That one eludes me. Which plane did you use?

I tried it with the MiG-31 even, spec'd for speed and long range missiles, and the damn IRBM still made it to critical altitude and the mission failed >_<
MiG-31, specced with Queen's Custom and Variable Cycle Engine for speed and maneuverability, MG damage and range plus the auto-aim module (but not auto-fire, though i suppose it is an option if you're good at aiming), standard missile power, flight speed and homing. Missile reload speed may be an option as well, over damage perhaps.
Right after cutscene, do 180 degree turn but not with high-G or you will lose too much speed. Dash toward the COMET, fire both missiles and use MG at the same time, few hits from MG are enough if both missiles connect.
Then, fast turn and dash toward the first missile. Missile approach is the tricky part. You need to chase the missile in order to avoid missiles missing, so approach fast and level, and then turn up below the missile (under 45 degree approach angle is pretty good). Same technique for the others as well. You need the MG as well, because the standard missile power (even with upgrade) isn't enough alone.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I see, thanks for the info.

Basicly like past Ace game, you the player character is viewed the the eye of other character,

Blaze from the reporter, chopper and nagise from AC5

Cypher from Soly wing Pixy, PJ and the surviving Ace that the reporter interview.

In AC7, she's giving a view of the conflict and the player character not from the military side but not civilian like AC6.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
MiG-31, specced with Queen's Custom and Variable Cycle Engine for speed and maneuverability, MG damage and range plus the auto-aim module (but not auto-fire, though i suppose it is an option if you're good at aiming), standard missile power, flight speed and homing. Missile reload speed may be an option as well, over damage perhaps.
Right after cutscene, do 180 degree turn but not with high-G or you will lose too much speed. Dash toward the COMET, fire both missiles and use MG at the same time, few hits from MG are enough if both missiles connect.
Then, fast turn and dash toward the first missile. Missile approach is the tricky part. You need to chase the missile in order to avoid missiles missing, so approach fast and level, and then turn up below the missile (under 45 degree approach angle is pretty good). Same technique for the others as well. You need the MG as well, because the standard missile power (even with upgrade) isn't enough alone.
Ah, interesting. Hadn't thought of using the MG to take down the missiles, that can help :)

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basicly like past Ace game, you the player character is viewed the the eye of other character,

Blaze from the reporter, chopper and nagise from AC5

Cypher from Soly wing Pixy, PJ and the surviving Ace that the reporter interview.

In AC7, she's giving a view of the conflict and the player character not from the military side but not civilian like AC6.
That's a cool way of doing it. I have played some of the other Ace Combat games but never really followed the plot (I plan to go back and do so for the other games after I am done with this one).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay you know what, some of the score targets in these timed missions are idiotic.

edit: finally mission 11 is over jesus

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's with these random-ass mission failures

I'm downing everything in sight. What else do you want me to do, game.

edit: LOL Mission 11, fuck you. I wiped out every single enemy. Clock runs out. Mission Failure.

Last edited:

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What's with these random-ass mission failures

I'm downing everything in sight. What else do you want me to do, game.

edit: LOL Mission 11, fuck you. I wiped out every single enemy. Clock runs out. Mission Failure.

You probably need to zoom out your radar. Thats the Naval fleet/platform mission, correct?

There are multiple enemy hotspots spread over that map. Absolutely no way to run out of targets. I racked up close to 30k points on my 2nd playthrough.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You probably need to zoom out your radar. Thats the Naval fleet/platform mission, correct?

There are multiple enemy hotspots spread over that map. Absolutely no way to run out of targets. I racked up close to 30k points on my 2nd playthrough.
Nah, it's the
defend stonehenge
mission. The game bugged out, it didn't load the next section of the mission. So it just left me wasting time flying around for three minutes with nothing to do, thinking I had won lol.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Okay, I'm stuck on Mission 17 "Homeward" - I did all the ID'ing of unknowns, but having trouble shooting down all the bombers in time after that. I tried using LAAMs but it's so hard spotting all of those bombers with everything else flying around. It should be a simple task but it seems so hard to do.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nah, it's the
defend stonehenge
mission. The game bugged out, it didn't load the next section of the mission. So it just left me wasting time flying around for three minutes with nothing to do, thinking I had won lol.

Oh that's weird. Wonder if it happens if you clear things out before the event flag or something.

Okay, I'm stuck on Mission 17 "Homeward" - I did all the ID'ing of unknowns, but having trouble shooting down all the bombers in time after that. I tried using LAAMs but it's so hard spotting all of those bombers with everything else flying around. It should be a simple task but it seems so hard to do.

For my 2nd playthrough I saved up 4AAMs for the last part of that mission.

At least 4 or so fly in a fairly tight formation so I just flew behind their tails and spammed AAMs.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Second playthrough complete, this time on normal, got all but one skin... that damn Stonehenge mission. Don't let enemy damage it at all... argh. OK, i had sub-optimal plane for it (F-14D with LAAMs, meaning very poor anti-ground capability), and i was chasing the other two skins as well. Careful plane and part selection probably helps considerably.

Probably could've started the game on normal right away, i had read impressions the game was difficult so i opted for easy but frankly it was a cakewalk for most part, and normal isn't much harder.

Kinda like the part system, means weaker planes can be competitive. In AC6, everything but F-22, Su-47, or CFA-44 once one got them were kinda useless if going for high performance.
Parts make older planes like MiG-21 highly amusing (and perhaps even deadly!) to use, though pity the total part limit (8) isn't decided by plane.

BTW, does stealth do anything against the AI? There sure doesn't seem to be any difference in AI's ability to track me whether i fly YF-23 or MiG-21. And the stealth enhancement part didn't seem to have any effect either. Pure MP features basically?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Oh that's weird. Wonder if it happens if you clear things out before the event flag or something.

For my 2nd playthrough I saved up 4AAMs for the last part of that mission.

At least 4 or so fly in a fairly tight formation so I just flew behind their tails and spammed AAMs.

Okay I'll try that, thanks!

Anyone else wanna post their experience dealing with Mission 17?

Oct 25, 2017
That's a cool way of doing it. I have played some of the other Ace Combat games but never really followed the plot (I plan to go back and do so for the other games after I am done with this one).
5 was a lot better with it though and didn't feel as disconnected thanks to little stuff like
latest