• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who's on the fence about this game this worries me. Care to elaborate? Footage I've seen doesn't seem to have much variety in the combat, with almost everything missile based and hardly any use of cannons. I've seen precious little air to ground bombing raids either.

Clouds look amazing though, almost tempted to buy on the strength of the graphics alone!

The game relies on various objectives for variety but the gameplay itself has just been a mix of dogfighting and ground targets. You're constantly under missile lock and in danger of stalling so gameplay turns into lock-on > fire at target > maneuver to avoid missile > lock-on > fire at target > maneuver to avoid missile. I also think that some of the mission objectives could be tweaked to be less frustrating as well.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As someone who's on the fence about this game this worries me. Care to elaborate? Footage I've seen doesn't seem to have much variety in the combat, with almost everything missile based and hardly any use of cannons. I've seen precious little air to ground bombing raids either.

Clouds look amazing though, almost tempted to buy on the strength of the graphics alone!

I mean there isn't really that much you can do with regards to missile combat in a dogfighting arcade game IMO.
Guns are still viable of course, but just take a lot more skill to use and I rarely use them in dogfights outside of the MP.
In SP I use them more often on ground targets while my missiles are reloading.

You can also get some of the energy weapons fairly early in the upgrade trees.
I did most of the second half of the missions using a pulse laser special weapon.

I think the mission/objective variety is some of the best in the series thanks to the way they utilize the weather effects.

There are also plenty of air to ground bombing raids in the game so I wouldn't worry there.
A large majority of the missions are a nice balance of both.

I think I have seen more complaints that there aren't enough straight dog-fighting missions in the game actually.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Seems to do that sometimes.

Perhaps part of GPU is not taxed in normal view and suddenly the teatime is over with a bang.

Also have the same problem. One time i even got a "warning the ps4 is overheating, turn it off" screen, but it just went away after 3 seconds. Really hating the pro for this fan problem. I hope bamco is patching this explosion problem.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game relies on various objectives for variety but the gameplay itself has just been a mix of dogfighting and ground targets. You're constantly under missile lock and in danger of stalling so gameplay turns into lock-on > fire at target > maneuver to avoid missile > lock-on > fire at target > maneuver to avoid missile. I also think that some of the mission objectives could be tweaked to be less frustrating as well.

I mean there isn't really that much you can do with regards to missile combat in a dogfighting arcade game IMO.
Guns are still viable of course, but just take a lot more skill to use and I rarely use them in dogfights outside of the MP.
In SP I use them more often on ground targets while my missiles are reloading.

You can also get some of the energy weapons fairly early in the upgrade trees.
I did most of the second half of the missions using a pulse laser special weapon.

I think the mission/objective variety is some of the best in the series thanks to the way they utilize the weather effects.

There are also plenty of air to ground bombing raids in the game so I wouldn't worry there.
A large majority of the missions are a nice balance of both.

I think I have seen more complaints that there aren't enough straight dog-fighting missions in the game actually.

Thank you both, enough in MistaTwo's post to swing it.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Tried the MP again last night and yeah, I hate it. I think I'm at a real disadvantage now as well as I don't really have any of the MP unlocks in the tree, so no matter how much I dodge around everyone's missiles seem to hit me while mine basically just fuck off in to the aether.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Tried the MP again last night and yeah, I hate it. I think I'm at a real disadvantage now as well as I don't really have any of the MP unlocks in the tree, so no matter how much I dodge around everyone's missiles seem to hit me while mine basically just fuck off in to the aether.

Are you playing in limited cost rooms?

The MP items are still definitely key, but the cost balance means in a 2000 room there is a limit to how many you can stock on a decent plane.

It's definitely a lot more fun when you unlock parts and start making your own builds. I am a fan of the system, but honestly these days I just count myself lucky the parts arent also locked behind loot boxes. Haha

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
My PS4 pro goes CRAZY (fan goes super loud instantly) whenever I get too close to a explosion on screen, it's crazy and almost instant.

Am I the only one ?
Even though my pro survived HZD and GoW, AC7 almost killed it. It wasn't noisy all the time like in these two games but explosions would send the thing from 0 to 100 real fast. In a certain cutscene, it'd happen so fast my pro wouldn't have time to turn the fans up, it hard crashed every time.

I had to go through the whole thermal paste redoing ordeal so I could actually go on with the game. Worth it in the end but still, crazy stuff.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks and runs nicely on my PC. Got rid of microstuttering by going exclusive full-screen and turning vsync on. Had some framerate troubles on the runway at the start of the first mission though.

I've always been a casual Ace Combat fan so I never learned any advanced maneuvers. I hear AC7 has even more options in that regard so I was wondering if any kind soul could point me to a tutorial of some sort. :P

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Now, up to the ACE playthrough. Only a few items left to unlock in the tech tree.

My favorite things are PLSL (it wrecks shit like no other and at insane ranges too with generous hit zones) and Air burst Air to Air missiles (making these bosses go down easy)

Oct 28, 2017
Can we expect a PC performance thread? I've been holding on purchasing the game until I make sure the game runs smoothly and doesn't have problems.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
Just started on PC, some gamelpay videos spoiled me the reason why Trigger (MC) got his infamous three lines, but had any idea how exactly he commited that certain act. Not until I did that by myself by accident, and my brain didn't process what happened for a moment.
Me: "I see that drone flying around the target, I better shoot it down"
NPC: "Mage 2! (echoes)"
Me: " *gasp* Oh wait, no!"

That's actually a well directed moment, I'll give you that, Project Aces.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that the multiplayer is P2P. It's so reliant on connection that if you get in a bad room your missiles will not connect and you cannot dodge.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of disappointed the ground textures and details are still so low res with all these powerful machines we have nowadays. If Battlefield can half-decently simulate ground and air war with adequate detail, pure flight games could do as well or not?

On another note, with all these futuristic equipment around I would really like to see a Sci-Fi spinoff of Ace Combat with spaceships, just like CoD Infinite Warfare. Or better yet: with Gundams instead of spaceships.

Serastros

Mar 3, 2018
I know, this might not help, but maybe it might.....
The only HOTAS stick I do own is a thrustmaster fligtstick hotas x V1... I did own the USB mocrosoft flightstick rumble thingy... it was soooo great! In my personal opinion, best stick ever. why they stoped making them is beyond me.... but it died on me.....
After I did try out several hotas, the I got to hotas x, and till this day this stick worked on any ps3, ps4 and pc games. and it got detected like a charm on ace combat 7.
This moment I checked, its like 15 Euro on ebay....
Pls, do not kill me! I do absolutely agree that ANY HOTAS should work on this game! and there are so many nicer hotas than mine!
though, cheap is cheap and works, works....

sincerly yours

update: ok, not sure whats happening, game sees the controller, but doesnt react to it in any mode or way....
sorry for any inconvinience....

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hows it perform on pc? Waiting to hear it runs well before i buy
On PC, first time i'm having any FPS dropdown... in mission 14? Searchlights drop my FPS to about 45, but otherwise the game has been solid 60 so far.
i5-6600K (no OC), 16 GB DDR4, R9 390 with 8 GB, installed on SSD, playing on 1080p with Vsync. Playing highest settings, no motion blur.

Alessandro

Oct 27, 2017
It's miles better than Horizon but not better than 6.
They copied heavily from Liberation with story focused on personal aspects instead of a story of bigger scope. There's an early scene where the main antagonist asks "what is a nation" and it's never picked up again (I'm still on my first playthrough).

Just like 6 there's no attachment to wingmen. The inclusion of 5 with preorders highlights the difference even more: there's an abyss from Nagase or Motormouth and Count.

Coming blind, mission 4 caught me off guard and the consequences were promising. I've just completed mission 15 and It's like all the best shots were fired in the first 10, music included, and the rest is filler with no bite.

They had the perfect blueprint with Zero: aces system and three standings that increased replay value, high stakes and a beautiful themed story (a world with no borders).
With 7, this old buddy comes back to life from the disastrous 7th gen era but has yet to recover to ps2 levels of glory.

Here's to another one.

Last edited:

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coming blind, mission 4 caught me off guard and the consequences were promising. I've just completed mission 15 and It's like all the best shots were fired in the first 10, music included, and the rest is filler with no bite.

The last remaining missions are some of my favorites. There's no big twist or anything, but they're all very good. Interested to hear what you think after them!

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stall warning, stall warning, stall warning... Argh, the Strike Eagle ain't my plane. Or maybe i shouldn't take it for air combat.

Also the TLS feels really underwhelming. Does it do any damage? Doesn't feel useful neither against air nor ground targets, let alone ships. No doubt the total damage potential is good, but trying to keep the beam aimed, even with one upgrade for laser hit area, is incredibly difficult.
The PLS is reasonably good, though missiles and guided bombs tend to be far easier to use.

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a long time since I've seen such a barebones Multiplayer. It has so little substance, I wonder why they even bothered to tack it on.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I finally ventured into MP mode for the first time. I basically did absolutely nothing but still got more currency than rerunning a few missions on normal and getting As. I was holding off on continuing story mode until I got the Rafale, and it turns out grinding story mode gives you like peanuts compared to the other mode. Or am I mistaken?

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally ventured into MP mode for the first time. I basically did absolutely nothing but still got more currency than rerunning a few missions on normal and getting As. I was holding off on continuing story mode until I got the Rafale, and it turns out grinding story mode gives you like peanuts compared to the other mode. Or am I mistaken?
Later story missions tend to give much more money than earlier missions (not to mention your performance and difficulty level matters as well). Also there's relatively large campaign completion bonus (think one million?).

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Stall warning, stall warning, stall warning... Argh, the Strike Eagle ain't my plane. Or maybe i shouldn't take it for air combat.

Also the TLS feels really underwhelming. Does it do any damage? Doesn't feel useful neither against air nor ground targets, let alone ships. No doubt the total damage potential is good, but trying to keep the beam aimed, even with one upgrade for laser hit area, is incredibly difficult.
The PLS is reasonably good, though missiles and guided bombs tend to be far easier to use.

I had the same experience. I suspect the aircraft parts related to those weapons could make a significant difference, though, if I read some of them properly.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the same experience. I suspect the aircraft parts related to those weapons could make a significant difference, though, if I read some of them properly.
Well, i don't dare to imagine how firing the TLS would've been without enhanced hit area. Don't think i'll bother with that weapon again though, even if there are parts to enhance it, i prefer to improve standard missiles and aircraft capabilities. If there's a medal for using it, i guess i'll grudgingly use it eventually.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to complain about the game lacking the Panavia Tornado. Cool aircraft, and was very fun to fly in AC6 (can't recall if it was in ACAH), surprisingly capable in air combat despite being nominally an attacker.

Wonder what aircraft the DLC/Season Pass will include. If they'll go with purely original aircraft (to avoid licensing costs or whatever), it seems likely that previous "superplanes", the ADF-01 FALKEN (multiple games), CFA-44 Nosferatu (AC6, ACAH DLC) and ASF-X Shinden II (ACAH DLC), or variants of these, could be plausible.

There aren't many modern planes (at least commonly know) missing from the game as it is. Variants of existing planes would be quite lackluster. The Harrier perhaps, but its VTOL feature would be likely hard to depict reasonably without additional controls, and this is likely the reason why the plane's in the game but not playable.
Perhaps they'll go for older planes, after all this game features the the F-104 Starfighter and MiG-21 (and F-4 with pre-order DLC). There's many to pick from after all, some notable ones being A-4 Skyhawk, F-5 Freedom Fighter, F-105 Thunderchief, F-111 Aardwark, F-106 Delta Dart, F-100 Super Sabre, MiG-23 "Flogger", MiG-19 "Farmer", Su-24 "Fencer", Su-25 Frogfoot...
EDIT Or some European ones: Dassault Mirage III, SAAB Draken or Viggen, Panavia Tornado.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I have to complain about the game lacking the Panavia Tornado. Cool aircraft, and was very fun to fly in AC6 (can't recall if it was in ACAH), surprisingly capable in air combat despite being nominally an attacker.

Wonder what aircraft the DLC/Season Pass will include. If they'll go with purely original aircraft (to avoid licensing costs or whatever), it seems likely that previous "superplanes", the ADF-01 FALKEN (multiple games), CFA-44 Nosferatu (AC6, ACAH DLC) and ASF-X Shinden II (ACAH DLC), or variants of these, could be plausible.

There aren't many modern planes (at least commonly know) missing from the game as it is. Variants of existing planes would be quite lackluster. The Harrier perhaps, but its VTOL feature would be likely hard to depict reasonably without additional controls, and this is likely the reason why the plane's in the game but not playable.
Perhaps they'll go for older planes, after all this game features the the F-104 Starfighter and MiG-21 (and F-4 with pre-order DLC). There's many to pick from after all, some notable ones being A-4 Skyhawk, F-5 Freedom Fighter, F-105 Thunderchief, F-111 Aardwark, F-106 Delta Dart, F-100 Super Sabre, MiG-23 "Flogger", MiG-19 "Farmer", Su-24 "Fencer", Su-25 Frogfoot...
EDIT Or some European ones: Dassault Mirage III, SAAB Draken or Viggen, Panavia Tornado.

I've heard that Panavia has recently been rather difficult to license stuff from. I dunno if any Tornados were in ACI either.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that Panavia has recently been rather difficult to license stuff from. I dunno if any Tornados were in ACI either.
Well, that'd explain the Tornado missing from this game.
Looking through the wiki, the Tornado has appeared in quit few ACs before in its various iterations, also in AC Infinity.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
On the fence about picking this up. Never played 5, so that makes it more tempting. From what I'm reading it sounds like AC7 has Japanese/English audio, but is AC5 English dub only or can you have Japanese audio on it?

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
On the fence about picking this up. Never played 5, so that makes it more tempting. From what I'm reading it sounds like AC7 has Japanese/English audio, but is AC5 English dub only or can you have Japanese audio on it?

It's got both actually. You can even change mid-campaign I believe.

I even noticed a third EN (jp version) option in the settings which I guess is a more literal dub? I have no idea actually.

It's an all around great value!

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I grabbed AC7 today from Best Buy for PS4, I didn't get an AC5 code though with the receipt. Would it come in the box? Don't wanna open it yet.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
The AC5 port is a mix of all versions which has all audio and subtitle options.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Just wrapped up the campaign on PS4 today.

Man mission 19 is just the tops, especially when the music flared up as the Arsenal Bird's shield went down. God it was just so damn good.

Gonna do some more unlocking in the tech tree when I have the time. And also pick it up on PC in a few once game releases slow down.

Already have a game that will land on my top ten of the year. Apart from one or two things in the plot I loved it from start to finish.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Thanks for the info! I tried getting into AC1-5 or Zero back in the PS1/PS2 days but never got too far in any of them. Will try give 5/7 a shot now and see if a ton of years later it's easier to get into.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I legit put my fists in the air and cheered at the nod to AC5 at the end of the final mission. This entire game is one nice loveletter to long-time fans of the series.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
God, fuck mission 17. I finished all of AC5 on Normal but I can't finish this even on Easy. I just don't have enough time to get to the bombers. And the whole conceit of these last few missions is terrible.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, fuck mission 17. I finished all of AC5 on Normal but I can't finish this even on Easy. I just don't have enough time to get to the bombers. And the whole conceit of these last few missions is terrible.
How?
I played it on Easy with F-15C with PLS. Didn't have any issues, despite zig-zagging all over the map. (Ran out of PLS ammo midway the mission due to being overtly liberal using it.)

EDIT Do you mean "supply ships"? 'Cause i don't remember any bombers in the mission.

Nov 8, 2017
Enjoying my time with this game so far, but I'm on mission 9 and wtf it's like they chose the low points from the previous games and went all in on them. UAVs aren't fun to fight at all, and the last couple missions give you zero visibility. Hopefully these annoying gameplay elements taper off further in.