• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit mission 17 is kicking my ass. First mission where missiles are actually killing me, all the other times I've died has always been crashing into the ground or failing objectives in time limits. I've tried like 15 times already, I've gotten to the final part of the mission, then always taken out by a missile I thought was approaching from my side. It's not great! Can't wait to get over this hump.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I've been stuck on mission 5 for a while (the 444th) and I finally shot down the last bomber and I hear "mission accomplished" and "dinner's on me!" and I lean back and relax. Suddenly there's a red warning on the screen but I can't read it because of the damn bright clouds, and the female warning voice is saying "[something] alert! [something] alert!" but I can't hear it because of all the pilot chatter in the background. Then I got "Mission Failed" on the screen.

Anyone know what the hell happened?

edit: I just watched the end of a walkthrough video, I definitely got the mission accomplished message but then it mission-failed me before I got the landing attempt.

By the way, I've had so many can't-see-shit moments where the bright clouds not only obscure the other aircraft, but they make my own HUD worthless. I get that clouds are part of the gameplay, but they shouldn't be as bright as the sun.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've been stuck on mission 5 for a while (the 444th) and I finally shot down the last bomber and I hear "mission accomplished" and "dinner's on me!" and I lean back and relax. Suddenly there's a red warning on the screen but I can't read it because of the damn bright clouds, and the female warning voice is saying "[something] alert! [something] alert!" but I can't hear it because of all the pilot chatter in the background. Then I got "Mission Failed" on the screen.

Anyone know what the hell happened?

By the way, I've had so many can't-see-shit moments where the bright clouds not only obscure the other aircraft, but they make my own HUD worthless. I get that clouds are part of the gameplay, but they shouldn't be as bright as the sun.
You may have flown out of bounds before the level ended >.<?

Also, I'm a big fan of clouds and the sun making the UI difficult to read. One duel in particular later on uses it to great effect.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
You may have flown out of bounds before the level ended >.<?

To be fair it is possible to die after Mission Accomplished. Happened to me a few times because some of the missions leave enemies active for a short time after.

I almost feel like "Restart from Checkpoint" is a mistranslation because it's definitely not handled in any kind of modern way. There's even a mission where the VO mentions 'checkpoints' but those don't count if you die...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The campaign medals might lock me out of the platinum here. The idea of a machine gun only playthrough, even on easy, feels like it would be a slog :/

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel like "Restart from Checkpoint" is a mistranslation because it's definitely not handled in any kind of modern way. There's even a mission where the VO mentions 'checkpoints' but those don't count if you die...
Nah, the "restart from checkpoint" makes relative sense, it's just not based around any in-game dialog. There are some occasions where "checkpoint XX-1" or something briefly appears in the top-right of the screen. Usually, those are hit when coming out of mid-mission cutscenes, or some other significant events, such as spawning a boss or getting to a very different stage of a major battle.

I must have skipped the cutscenes in ac6 back then - as i should have done in this game
I think they were mostly spouting that line in in-game dialog.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
The campaign medals might lock me out of the platinum here. The idea of a machine gun only playthrough, even on easy, feels like it would be a slog :/
There are parts that add auto-aim and auto-fire to it, on top of the others that increase range, damage and whatnot. I feel I could do it (on easy of course) with just auto-aim alone, it's really handy.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Nah, the "restart from checkpoint" makes relative sense, it's just not based around any in-game dialog. There are some occasions where "checkpoint XX-1" or something briefly appears in the top-right of the screen. Usually, those are hit when coming out of mid-mission cutscenes, or some other significant events, such as spawning a boss or getting to a very different stage of a major battle.

I know what you mean technically, I just feel it's completely out of tune with their actual level design, and as a result a substantial UX fail. There are plenty of levels in the game where difficulty or complexity spikes before a cutscene, which means they set checkpoints for tech/engine reasons moreso than player convenience.

I love the game, but I also can't argue with the EDGE review in that the design basically hasn't changed from PS2.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Well, it happened. VR completely ruined the regular game for me. The slightest annoyance in the main campaign just pushes me to play VR again and again.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
As a more casual fan, it is very satisfying to play an Ace Combat game again(haven't touched one since AC5).

One thing I forgot that I loved about these games is you can just play one mission per session and more than scratch that itch for the day.

KoruptData

Oct 25, 2017
This is my second attempt at an Ace Combat game. I love fighter jets but the first time it didn't click with me. I played the first two missions on easy and played the multiplayer in which I was terrible. Played mission 3 tonight and something clicked.

I guess it was mental. I approached the game from a mindset that wasn't allowing me to fully enjoy the game. I felt like I had to fly these planes and make them look badass I had to make sure that I was always oriented with the belly of the plane face the ground. Like in theory, that would be a realistic take from my limited knowledge of aviation.

But tonight I just kinda told myself to not worry about the orientation of the plane and just watch the altitude. Once I forgot about orientation of the plane, then I could start to see the whole picture. I was looking at my radar, at my speed. I was tracking targets and keeping them in front of me. I was doing stuff you couldn't do on your 3rd day of flying in real life and that's what the game is.

I went in knowing it was an arcade game but until tonight, my brain treated it like a sim. I even went and tested online and I did so much better. Now the question is, keep on going on Easy or bump it up to normal?

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, just played a couple of the VR missions and they're just so good. It breaks my heart they gave us so little VR content cause what they shipped proves they could have made a fantastic VR campaign. Missed opportunity of the generation. Fuck me.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm sure I am stating the obvious, but playing AC7 on my PS4 Pro, I think this is the first AC game on console that runs in Full HD 1080p and 60fps.

It is glorious.

I remember being disappointed that AC6 Fires of Liberation was only 30fps (720p).

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I just started playing the multiplayer to grind some mrp... and i was just in a match with a fighter that doesn't appear anywhere on the aircraft tree.

It looks like a cross between a yf-23 and a berkat.

Any idea what it was?... and was it a preorder bonus, or some kind of secret unlock?

EDIT: is it a reward for completing the campaign?

Zanzura

Oct 25, 2017

I started my MG-only Easy run after clearing Hard, it's not too bad with all the machine gun upgrade parts on top of using the MiG-21 Fishbed as it has Machine Gun Pods as its special weapon. It still counts for the medal as I'm getting a 30k Guns Only Points Bonus firing those off, and it's shredding everything within 1800m. Drones so far have been easy as well. It seems like they don't dodge anything on Easy, or perhaps the lack of a missile lock coming from the player is causing them to remain mostly still.

OP
OP
emotion engine
Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing the multiplayer to grind some mrp... and i was just in a match with a fighter that doesn't appear anywhere on the aircraft tree.

It looks like a cross between a yf-23 and a berkat.

Any idea what it was?... and was it a preorder bonus, or some kind of secret unlock?

EDIT: is it a reward for completing the campaign?
The plane you saw is the
X-02S Strike Wyvern

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, just played a couple of the VR missions and they're just so good. It breaks my heart they gave us so little VR content cause what they shipped proves they could have made a fantastic VR campaign. Missed opportunity of the generation. Fuck me.

Yup. Only things I can think of to stop them doing the campaign in VF
1) time/money - well duh. But maybe that could leave them open to do it as DLC or a patch down the line?
2) cutscenes. You don't want your 'head' suddenly jumping to a different location. Maybe they could play them in your HUD or on one of your cockpit screens?
3) detail - the VR missions are fairly simple and I assume tuned for performance. Maybe they couldn't get all the campaign missions - landscapes, multiple planes etc working inside the performance window for VR with it significant (=expensive) optimisation

But it is fantastic, and it does feel like a game that could be done completely in VR with a little effort.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
PHEW! Just finished the campaign on Normal and I am jittery as hell because goddamn was that difficult. Some of those late-game missions were brutal and had me restarting checkpoints five or six times.

I love a good Ace Combat tunnel run, but a tunnel run following a double-bossfight that evolves into an even harder bossfight with no checkpoint in between, and followed up by re-enacting Poe's bunker bust from The Force Awakens, then a VERTICAL TUNNEL RUN to top it off. My nerves are shot :P

I really enjoyed it, though. I can't say I really followed the story in the last few missions, since the aforementioned intensity of the combat made it very hard to concentrate on the radio chatter, but I think I got the general idea, at least. I'd love it if Ace Combat came back as a regular series again, because there's just nothing quite like the zone you can get into when you're looping through graceful attack runs, cycling through missiles, special weapons and guns to rain the most hell on your targets before coming around for another pass.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You'd also think it wouldn't be an expensive series to produce - now they have a decent engine, campaign setups should be simple and if they use the same approach to cutscenes then as long as they licensed stock_dog.jpg that should save the some money.

Full VR campaign on PS5 please Namco

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does the aircraft tree unlock 'backwards'? That is - if I unlock one branch that joins back to another, can I get access to those upgrades or am I forced to buy the plane in front of them? And how to unlock access to those multiplayer only areas? Play a certain amount of MP I guess?

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Does the aircraft tree unlock 'backwards'? That is - if I unlock one branch that joins back to another, can I get access to those upgrades or am I forced to buy the plane in front of them? And how to unlock access to those multiplayer only areas? Play a certain amount of MP I guess?
You can't go backwards in the aircraft tree for unlocks that are in a different branch, so it requires you to do each branch completely.

For the MP area, I played a bit of MP and it unlocked. It might have been just one game actually. Some (maybe all, I don't remember) of the parts in the MP branch are MP only and can only be used there.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I may be missing it but is there nowhere in the multiplayer data section that says how many deaths you've had? KDR isn't something I stress or worry about in MP games but it would be nice to see how many deaths per craft or total I've had to be able to track if I'm improving, or to be he'll be able to help narrow down what aircraft I am performing best in.

Played maybe ten matches of TDM earlier though and enjoyed it. I played two matches a few days ago because a coworker told me it would help earn me a bunch of money and I scored no points in any of those. The ones this morning went a lot better. I mean, some of them didn't see me scoring much, and I had some tough competition at times who really knew what they were doing, but I was getting kills and even placing in second or even first on my team once (we lost that match though). I've been playing sub-2000 matches and using the F-14 for the most part, but I finally unlocked the F/A-18 and gave that a try to.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
16 more team deathmatch wins and I'll finally have all the medals for multiplayer. Then it's onto the campaign stuff. Platinum trophy here I come

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Oh that's no post stall. His plane is just really manuverable. The X-02 is a fictional plane that's outstanding in that department.

On another note, there is no stress greater than being top ace in a battle royale and seeing over 8 missiles coming toward you at once. Crazy.

Oh gotcha, ok, thanks. Was hoping there wasn't some sick move like that, i hadnt tried out yet.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Finished up Ace Combat 7 the other day. The core gameplay is still tight even after all these years, and the level/mission structure was a great change of pace after playing so many open world games this generation. Don't know if I'll try multiplayer—I'm not the best pilot out there :p

Bamco get that Ace Combat 7 soundtrack out there, stat ^.^

Oct 27, 2017
Please help, I've tried mission 5 like 7 times and I just can't beat it. Is there any missile that will lock on to the bombers?

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I have been testing out the MP for a while and man ... I have been struggling not to get last place every single match. Guess that seals the fact that I am just utterly terrible at this game. And yeah, I have only done sub 2000 point matches :(.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Weird. My hairdryer Pro somehow survived GoW and HZD's platinums but I can't get past
mission 19's last cutscene
without a hard crash. It straight up shuts down, the fan doesn't even have time to ramp up.

Anyone had it happen? I've went through the mission twice and it crashes at the exact same point.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I have been testing out the MP for a while and man ... I have been struggling not to get last place every single match. Guess that seals the fact that I am just utterly terrible at this game. And yeah, I have only done sub 2000 point matches :(.
Honestly, I went from top of the leaderboard the weekend of release to scraping the bottom in the week since. I'm guessing that the player base contracted hard, and only the most intense AC players stuck with it. It also doesn't help that there's a multiplayer-only bunch of parts on the aircraft tree that I obviously haven't been investing in because I want all the planes first, and those things sound pretty advantageous from the descriptions. I've given up on the platinum because I don't really want to slum it at the back of the pack for another thirty-odd matches.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
You'd also think it wouldn't be an expensive series to produce - now they have a decent engine, campaign setups should be simple and if they use the same approach to cutscenes then as long as they licensed stock_dog.jpg that should save the some money.

Full VR campaign on PS5 please Namco

I really can't help but wonder what happened--and what the state of completion is--on all the VR assets from when they were hinting that it was going to be its own dedicated VR campaign. I played the first VR mission just to get my feet wet on launch day, was blown away, then held off on the remaining two and finished the main campaign, then went back and tried the last two missions. VR really improves the game in so many different ways, I find it impossible to believe the devs themselves didn't just take the headset off and say to each other, "Holy crap, we've got something special here."

They MUST know how good the VR is, and they're doubtless reading forums like ERA and seeing us talk about how great it is, so I'd really love a Blood, Sweat & Pixels--a la Jason Schreier--story on AC7's development, and see what, ultimately, brought about them initially going from, "VR will be its own campaign!" to "VR will have 10 or so missions" to "VR will have 5 bonus missions!" to finally, "And we've got a VR bonus of 3 missions!"

SOMETHING happened during development, and I'd love to know what.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
16 more team deathmatch wins and I'll finally have all the medals for multiplayer. Then it's onto the campaign stuff. Platinum trophy here I come

Have you shot down all of the named fighters yet for that trophy and any of them in particular give you trouble? I think Mission 3 'so far' is the only one thats given me issues with having to take out that first group of fighters in 90 seconds. Have tried approaching the dog fight at high speed from the south with a multi missile setup to hopefully take more than one out, but that doesn't cut it. May just need a more perked out aircraft. I'm playing through the game slower, and as I complete a mission, going back and doing those right away (also helps for me to grind points).

Please help, I've tried mission 5 like 7 times and I just can't beat it. Is there any missile that will lock on to the bombers?

I used the Mig-21 (lol) because I thought it made more sense for a
criminal
to be flying that piece of junk but if you're talking about the high altitude B1 looking bombers, I used the SAAM from it on those. It's long range, just make sure that you keep the radar circle visually on the target to guide it in.

Haha, you ain't the only one! I suspect those who place high in the rankings are mostly just maxing out the multiplayer perks on cheaper aircraft? As I'm seeing a lot of those from early on the tree dominating my matches. It'll be worse when they can afford to buy better haha.
My favorite wtf multi player moments are getting hit with rail guns/lasers at the start of a fight. No caution/warning or anything, just death 😄👍

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Have you shot down all of the named fighters yet for that trophy and any of them in particular give you trouble? I think Mission 3 'so far' is the only one thats given me issues with having to take out that first group of fighters in 90 seconds. Have tried approaching the dog fight at high speed from the south with a multi missile setup to hopefully take more than one out, but that doesn't cut it. May just need a more perked out aircraft. I'm playing through the game slower, and as I complete a mission, going back and doing those right away (also helps for me to grind points).
I haven't gotten to getting all the aces yet. Online has been a bit of a grind on me. However for mission 3 there's a few ways to go about it that I've seen. The Su-57 with pulse lasers, an Su-35S with 4aam both work well. I ended up managing to pull it off using the
X-02 Strike Wyvern with 4aam
It's really about finding the best combo for you and being consistent.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I just invested in some mp only parts and suddenly I am contesting for first place in battle royale (<= 2000 points).

Stuff's not balanced, yo!

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Me: fucking finally an ace combat final mission without a trench run
Ace7: :^)

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They MUST know how good the VR is, and they're doubtless reading forums like ERA and seeing us talk about how great it is,

You're vastly overrating Era's importance.

so I'd really love a Blood, Sweat & Pixels--a la Jason Schreier--story on AC7's development, and see what, ultimately, brought about them initially going from, "VR will be its own campaign!" to "VR will have 10 or so missions" to "VR will have 5 bonus missions!" to finally, "And we've got a VR bonus of 3 missions!"

SOMETHING happened during development, and I'd love to know what.

There's no conspiracy theory here. No grand scheme to deliberately screw over PSVR owners. AC7 was announced all the way back in 2015, before PSVR released. In the following years PSVR released and has done.... ok, to the tune of 3 million some sales, but in no way has it lit the world on fire. The Ace Combat franchise is an anomaly in 2019, a Japanese AAA release in what is essentially a dead genre that had its last major iteration almost a decade ago. To put it lightly, AC7 is a very niche title. So you know what would be suicidal? Devoting a large amount of the resources allocated to your niche title to catering to the even more niche PSVR audience, where the upside is super low and the downside is potentially devastating, such as compromising the quality of the part of the game the overwhelming majority of users on non-VR platforms will experience, which then lowers your review scores.... which then lowers your overall sales.

I'm sure what happened is that Project Aces and Namco saw the uptake of PSVR in 2016-2017 and made the choice to not commit to a "full" VR campaign in order to commit to the quality and value of the part of the product that the overwhelming majority of their customers would be experiencing. Given that this game is, again, a very niche product which I believe we're fortunate to even be getting the opportunity to play given the current landscape of the games industry, it's not a choice I begrudge them for.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What's your attack strategy?

Weird. My hairdryer Pro somehow survived GoW and HZD's platinums but I can't get past
mission 19's last cutscene
without a hard crash. It straight up shuts down, the fan doesn't even have time to ramp up.

Anyone had it happen? I've went through the mission twice and it crashes at the exact same point.

Rebuild your database in Safe Mode.

Honestly, I went from top of the leaderboard the weekend of release to scraping the bottom in the week since. I'm guessing that the player base contracted hard, and only the most intense AC players stuck with it. It also doesn't help that there's a multiplayer-only bunch of parts on the aircraft tree that I obviously haven't been investing in because I want all the planes first, and those things sound pretty advantageous from the descriptions. I've given up on the platinum because I don't really want to slum it at the back of the pack for another thirty-odd matches.
The MP parts are absolutely essential. Luckily you can earn MRP in all modes.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
I am really in love with AC right now, and I want to play all the games so I can catch up on the lore. The problem is, that I have no PS4 or PS3. How should I approach it?

I have a PS1 and a PS2. Should I acquire a PS4? Are the games on PS now? I have an X360 and XBONE, So I got AC6 and AC7 on there. But how should I approach the others?