• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone! Complete Ace Combat (and flight combat in general) noob here, looking for some helpful tips. Si I picked this up and have gone through the first two missions, and had a ton of fun! I'm playing on easy, with expert controls.

I'm having a bit of trouble coming to grips with the flow of combat though. For mission 2, first you take out all the ground outpost things, which was was super easy because I was using the pre-order aircraft that had the air to ground missiles. But then the mission changes to standard dogfighting, and i was having a bastard of a time getting my missiles to actually connect. The controls weren't necessarily an issue, they're taking some getting used to but I generally have a grasp on them. My issue was just being able to hit planes. It seems like 6-7/10 missiles missed after being locked on, and I'm not really sure what I need to do to improve. i wait for the lock on, shoot, and it misses, and that happened again and again and again. I ended up beating the mission, but I failed my first try simply by running out of time, because I couldn't land a shot.

Does anyone have some high level advice for standard dog fighting? Anything I can keep aware of, or pay attention to that I wasn't?

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone! Complete Ace Combat (and flight combat in general) noob here, looking for some helpful tips. Si I picked this up and have gone through the first two missions, and had a ton of fun! I'm playing on easy, with expert controls.

I'm having a bit of trouble coming to grips with the flow of combat though. For mission 2, first you take out all the ground outpost things, which was was super easy because I was using the pre-order aircraft that had the air to ground missiles. But then the mission changes to standard dogfighting, and i was having a bastard of a time getting my missiles to actually connect. The controls weren't necessarily an issue, they're taking some getting used to but I generally have a grasp on them. My issue was just being able to hit planes. It seems like 6-7/10 missiles missed after being locked on, and I'm not really sure what I need to do to improve. i wait for the lock on, shoot, and it misses, and that happened again and again and again. I ended up beating the mission, but I failed my first try simply by running out of time, because I couldn't land a shot.

Does anyone have some high level advice for standard dog fighting? Anything I can keep aware of, or pay attention to that I wasn't?

A few big things:
1- if you arent already I recommend using the "harder" control scheme that lets you roll. Its a little more to deal with but the added maneuverability (and fun!) is definitely worth it. Doesnt make the game any harder once you get used to it.
2- Don't fly too fast! If you're dogfighting, a lot of enemy planes fly deceptively slow (~400-600 range speed). To stay behind them you'll need to slow down too -- and you'll want to stay behind, so you can fire right as a plane is coming out of a maneuver where they don't have time to dodge.
3- Missles can lock on and start to home in from a pretty big cone -- basically anywhere on your screen you'll get locks, and unless your plane is super close, they'll be able to start chasing without missing, but....
4- Missle homing is only so strong, and missles seek the _rear_ of the target plane, so firing at anything moving at a steep angle from you is unlikely to connect.

Lastly, dont foget you can hold accelerate+brake for "high g turns" that increase your maneuverability at the cost of speed, and that you can hold down the target button to lock your camera onto your current target.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017

When are you actually firing your missiles? The most important thing is to try and get directly behind your target. Missiles have a better chance of landing that way. Awkward angles of attack make it more difficult to hit your target.

Don't fly too fast either. It can easily have you overshoot your target.

That being said. I'm glad you're enjoying the game! Just keep going and don't give up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

It's best to shoot when you are behind an enemy, use your radar to help get an idea of the angle of the enemy. Use high G turns and brakes to help turn and get behind them. It's sometimes better to be going slow or at a moderate speed level than it is to be going full speed. You can also sometimes get an easy kill when an enemy is coming head-on, usually to fire a missile at you. The drones in that mission are a pain so don't worry too much about having had difficulty with them, I find that sometimes even having what seems like a sure shot on them ends up missing cause they pull a lot of hard turns.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll be sure to keep them in mind. I definitely wasn't pay too much attention to my position in relation to the enemy, I was generally just waiting for the lock on, then shooting.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll be sure to keep them in mind. I definitely wasn't pay too much attention to my position in relation to the enemy, I was generally just waiting for the lock on, then shooting.
Oh and one more thing to practice with. If you hold triangle (PS4) or Y (Xbox) then you can focus your viewpoint onto the enemy. It can help with tracking them down.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. 6 had quite a few cheesy cutscenes. "Dance with the angels!" Will forever be burned into my memory
Not to mention the trash and janky animations in ten cutscenes. Give me more AC7 and/or AC5 cut scenes. Also, AC0 still has the best story telling in the franchise. That game was so good, and having the best theme song in the series doesn't help. When Zero starts playing in some multiplayer games, I seat up because it means shit has just gotten real.

Oh and, is the game easier on hard if I'm using the unlocked plane from when you beat the game the first time? I've played 4 missions so far on hard, and S ranked the first three easily (which I didn't do on easy the first time). I'm guessing getting the S rank in mission 4 is to
destroy all the red targets before they launch the drones
right?

Last edited:

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Not to mention the trash and janky animations in ten cutscenes. Give me more AC7 and/or AC5 cut scenes. Also, AC0 still has the best story telling in the franchise. That game was so good, and having the best theme song in the series doesn't help. When Zero starts playing in some multiplayer games, I seat up because it means shit has just gotten real.

Oh and, is the game easier on hard if I'm using the unlocked plane from when you beat the game the first time? I've played 4 missions so far on hard, and S ranked the first three easily (which I didn't do on easy the first time). I'm guessing getting the S rank in mission 4 is to
destroy all the red targets before they launch the drones
right?
All the late game planes make life so much easier.

LightInfa

Oct 27, 2017
Su-34 might be my favorite under the radar plane choice - it's listed as an attacker with 4AGM but has great air to air characteristics; If you are going Russian and can't get the F-15E it fills that niche perfectly. Made the Stonehenge mission a breeze because you can wipe out ground assaults quickly while still holding your own in the air.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Su-34 might be my favorite under the radar plane choice - it's listed as an attacker with 4AGM but has great air to air characteristics; If you are going Russian and can't get the F-15E it fills that niche perfectly. Made the Stonehenge mission a breeze because you can wipe out ground assaults quickly while still holding your own in the air.

Seconding this, love this plane.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So I see those Medals for doing the Campaign Quick and also without getting hurt or the one with only using machine guns...

...as someone who struggled on easy...they sound impossible!

Also...just did on Easy. First Ace Combat Game...

-chef's kiss-

...amazing. Will sweep round to my free copy of AC6 eventually.

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so fucking over this game.

Why am I penalized for dogfighting in nearly every mission?
Why has the last 4 missions been "Blow up shit on the ground? By the way, you can't see"

These missions are awful and take what made the old ace combat games fun clean out. I fyou want me to bomb an airfield, give me a bomber, if you want me to kill drones, give me a fighter, stop yelling at me to manage both at once with bad equipment or fundamental elements of the game removed.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
To be fair there are a lot of planes that can handle both well.

Yeah. I generally took AA special weapons even on missions with lots of ground targets, and would just use the bulk of my standard missiles on ground targets, and use parts to enhance my plane's machine gun to help with this too, and I actually found the missions in the second half of the game easier than the first half (except for the last two missions maybe).

Zanzura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so fucking over this game.

Why am I penalized for dogfighting in nearly every mission?
Why has the last 4 missions been "Blow up shit on the ground? By the way, you can't see"

These missions are awful and take what made the old ace combat games fun clean out. I fyou want me to bomb an airfield, give me a bomber, if you want me to kill drones, give me a fighter, stop yelling at me to manage both at once with bad equipment or fundamental elements of the game removed.

Based on the little information given here, it sounds like you need to start picking up multirole/attacker planes. Generally planes with L/AGMs, LASMs for ships, and UGBs will take care of the majority of ground targets easily. You still have standard missiles to swap to on your attack run, so get used to swapping to your missiles and tapping triangle/Y to target the pesky AA gun off to the side or whatever isn't covered by your ground weapons. There's also the MG to use as well and it'll have unlimited ammo on difficulties below hard, so spam away. Attack planes also have the bonus of generally having their MGs pointed downward even further, so you can fly relatively straight along the ground while gunning.

While Air-to-air SP weapons are convenient, you don't really need them for taking out enemy fighters, they're only really useful against "boss" type enemies.

I see a lot of people having difficulty with the sandstorm mission, I can only share my method of flying low, leveling out the plane either manually or with autopilot (L1+R1, LB+RB) and then expanding the radar to the max with the touchpad/whatever the button is on Xbox. Memorize their locations/quadrants and fly toward them (try to go in a clockwise order instead of flying all over the place), you shouldn't need to rely on the radar, and they'll show up on-screen and completely targetable as you approach their vicinity.

If you're not comfortable flying low at high speeds, I guess you could try going into free flight mode or just practice doing so on your mission. Practice rolling and pitching to the sides at high speeds along the ground. Generally you don't need to do this if your initial approach is good as yawing will be all you need to correct your shots, but it's a nice skill to have if say, a missile is on you or want to get right into another row of ground targets quickly. The sandstorm mission is relatively flat so you shouldn't be too afraid of the ground. Maybe consider switching to one of the first person cameras (R3) when flying low, it might help you better judge your distance.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
So I see those Medals for doing the Campaign Quick and also without getting hurt or the one with only using machine guns...

...as someone who struggled on easy...they sound impossible!

Also...just did on Easy. First Ace Combat Game...

-chef's kiss-

...amazing. Will sweep round to my free copy of AC6 eventually.
I'm just dreading getting ready to S rank every mission on ace difficulty. That's gonna be a challenge....I can't wait!!!

Last edited:

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's the point of creating these CG scenes with high quality models if it's all going to be blandly animated with voice narration? This is probably the first Ace Combat game where I'll very likely just skip the cutscenes on another playthrough. It's all so wordy and just...boring.

It also doesn't help that the most interesting character was AWACS Bandog, and he completely drops out of the story halfway through for whatever reason.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Im at Mission 10 on normal now, and so much in love with the game :)
This is some high quality, beautiful and polished, japanese developed piece of greatness. Just what I need in my life.

The level of polish, nice mission design, awesome visuals in 60 fps, many unlockables, high replayability, the fancy menus, the incredible gameplay and so much more.

It makes me very happy.
2019 will be insane in regards of Japanese games.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I played all the Ace Combat games over the past few months leading up to this, and Skies Unknown stacks up pretty damn well. All in all it takes a lot of the good elements of the other games. AC5's mission variety, AC6's controls/gameplay, a story that isn't unbearably bad. I'd rank it just under AC5 and AC04, and above AC0 and AC6.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having a bit of a hard time getting over how the cutscenes are presented in this game.

Loaded up Ace Combat 5 and Assualt Horizon today, and it's kinda mind bending how much better those games are when it comes to presentation. Ace Combat 5 has a lot of narration, but it's mainly served as the framing for the story. You still have characters having meaningful interactions and actually talking to one another. It also doesn't just have characters staring into the camera as voice narration plays in the background. Assault Horizon is just straight up cinematically presented like a modern war movie. Lot's of shaky cam and long takes, but it all looks great and works in its favor.

I can't help but be disappointed by the production values. I think it's very likely that they didn't have the budget of previous games, especially considering that flight/arcade sims are not even really a genre today. Even then, I think there was a much better way to present this tale besides having dully animated cg cutscenes with constant exposition.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The opening few hours of this game were brutal, but I'm up to Mission 16 now and I finally feel like I'm finding my sea legs again. I haven't played an Ace Combat since the PS2 days, but I guess it comes back fast. I'm feeling like I can scythe through squadrons of regular dudes now, and I'm really enjoying the fights against more serious enemies. And I like that we're getting back towards some good "fly through tight spaces" classic Ace Combat missions, too. No tunnels yet, but I've got my fingers crossed.

I do wish it was easier to cycle through targets, though. Even when I put my crosshairs directly on the thing I want to target the game still wants to cycle through the three things around it before it gets to the one I want. Is there any kind of mechanic or knack to it that I'm missing?

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Who said this game is no simulator?! As far as I am concerned this sure is one: a stress simulator to be exact!

Having to steer your aircraft through wind gusts while trying to kill highly agile drones while having to MISSILE listen to MISSILE MISSILE radio MISSILE chatter, the game sure knows how to keep me on my toes alright! Not sure if I like the weather effects/cloud mechanics, they seem kinda gimmicky and just there to fuck with you.

Good fun overall though!

sajuuk

Oct 27, 2017
Who said this game is no simulator?! As far as I am concerned this sure is one: a stress simulator to be exact!
giphy.gif

Cant wait to play ac7 on pc. : )

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Quick question, are ther missions where you take off and land?

Yep, and aerial refuel, but it seems to be a random thing within the missions.

So I've seen in a few Youtube videos with people flying the more advanced aircraft doing extremely quick and tight turned loops (they pull up, the camera flips underneath the aircraft and they are instantly nosed towards the ground). Is this a thrust vectoring functionality I only get from using these later aircraft or can I do it with any jet? I mean, the Mig 29 'should' be able to pull that off if that's the case.

Last edited:

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Yep, and aerial refuel, but it seems to be a random thing within the missions.

So I've seen in a few Youtube videos with people flying the more advanced aircraft doing extremely quick and tight turned loops (they pull up, the camera flips underneath the aircraft and they are instantly nosed towards the ground). Is this a thrust vectoring functionality I only get from using these later aircraft or can I do it with any jet? I mean, the Mig 29 'should' be able to pull that off if that's the case.
Do you mean the post stall manuvers? Only certain aircraft can do that.

https://youtu.be/D4waXzyYWXw
https://youtu.be/zbebkgZjx7A

Last edited:

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Fighting
Mr. X
is tremendously aggravating, holy shit. Drones suck too, but at least they sometimes get hit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
VR is soo good. Only done one mission after a chunk of campaign but whipping your head around and pulling to bring enemies into view is just fantastic. I'd actually prefer not to have "VR" missiles that can lock on with your head, and just use the head look to locate and help manoeuvre- which is already a huge thing in VR vs flat.

Really makes me wish they'd do the full campaign.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I am on mission 11 now and I gotta say, I kinda feel drained at this point. When every mission takes 5-10 attempts it starts getting to you. I sure as heck ain't gonna restart the whole campaign on easy though - too bad the game effectively locks you into a difficulty setting.

Furthermore, I don't like how some missions basically require certain aircrafts to beat, yet the game is super stingy with MRP during campagin so I can't really switch aircrafts due to the cost associated with that. So all you can really do is grind attempts in hopes you can beat it with your main aircraft.

To be frank, I think I'd enjoy this more if it was a tad easier.

Last edited:

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Do you mean the post stall manuvers? Only certain aircraft can do that.

https://youtu.be/D4waXzyYWXw
https://youtu.be/zbebkgZjx7A

Yep! I think thats it, thanks. The maneuver I was seeing they were letting the aircraft just stall them jamming the throttle at the nose down part of the maneuver.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. Look at the 5 minute mark in this video. Is that the same maneuver? It looks way too smooth, and I don't think he stalled it....but it is an advanced aircraft.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cmygbywaUrU

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am on mission 11 now and I gotta say, I kinda feel drained at this point. When every mission takes 5-10 attempts it starts getting to you. I sure as heck ain't gonna restart the whole campaign on easy though - too bad the game effectively locks you into a difficulty setting.

Furthermore, I don't like how some missions basically require certain aircrafts to beat, yet the game is super stingy with MRP during campagin so I can't really switch aircrafts due to the cost associated with that. So all you can really do is grind attempts in hopes you can beat it with your main aircraft.

To be frank, I think I'd enjoy this more if it was a tad easier.
No mission should really take more than 3 attempts at most.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
What's the point of creating these CG scenes with high quality models if it's all going to be blandly animated with voice narration? This is probably the first Ace Combat game where I'll very likely just skip the cutscenes on another playthrough. It's all so wordy and just...boring.

It also doesn't help that the most interesting character was AWACS Bandog, and he completely drops out of the story halfway through for whatever reason.

I think that that convict stuff should have been the entire game. The scripting and taunting was so interesting and unique an actual good use of the "suicide squad" concept.

There was so much potential that opened up for the story when Bandog killed Full Band. Why did he do it? What intel did Full Band see? What does it mean? How could the supposed good guys allow something like this?

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Yep! I think thats it, thanks. The maneuver I was seeing they were letting the aircraft just stall them jamming the throttle at the nose down part of the maneuver.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. Look at the 5 minute mark in this video. Is that the same maneuver? It looks way too smooth, and I don't think he stalled it....but it is an advanced aircraft.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cmygbywaUrU

Oh that's no post stall. His plane is just really manuverable. The X-02 is a fictional plane that's outstanding in that department.

On another note, there is no stress greater than being top ace in a battle royale and seeing over 8 missiles coming toward you at once. Crazy.