• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
What are the best AA special weapons in the singleplayer?

I've tried out the HVAA and while the extra lock-on range is good, I didn't find the tracking to be any better than regular missiles - in fact their tracking seemed to be worse at short range - and the extra velocity didn't seem to make much difference.

I'm assuming the multi-enemy missiles (4AAM and 8AAM) suffer from bad tracking. Are the QAAM any good? I think there's also a regular long range missile (LAAM?), and a semi-active medium ranged missile that requires you to keep the enemy in your HUD, right?

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What are the best AA special weapons in the singleplayer?

I've tried out the HVAA and while the extra lock-on range is good, I didn't find the tracking to be any better than regular missiles - in fact their tracking seemed to be worse at short range - and the extra velocity didn't seem to make much difference.

I'm assuming the multi-enemy missiles (4AAM and 8AAM) suffer from bad tracking. Are the QAAM any good? I think there's also a regular long range missile (LAAM?), and a semi-active medium ranged missile that requires you to keep the enemy in your HUD, right?

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. My personal favorite is probably the SASM.
It feels like one of the best all-rounders for AA stuff to me at least.
Pulse Lasers are also great if you have decent aim thanks to their range, accuracy, and ammo.

The QAAM has some of the best tracking but not much ammo unless you make up for that with mods.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I've asked 2 separate people with it and they weren't sure how they got it.
Definitely not a special edition or pre-order bonus from some part of the world?
They all have their strengths and weaknesses. My personal favorite is probably the SASM.
It feels like one of the best all-rounders for AA stuff to me at least.
Pulse Lasers are also great if you have decent aim thanks to their range, accuracy, and ammo.

The QAAM has some of the best tracking but not much ammo unless you make up for that with mods.
Cheers. Does anyone have any tips for how to get the most out of the various AA weapons?

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
SASM in the F16 with sub-2000 matches is what's doing it for me right now. Add some parts that buff up your special weapons. I got the battle royale trophy with that setup, so I am probably going to branch out and play more games above 2000.

I also hear the Gripen or 1 other (typhoon maybe?) can carry the SASM and still make it to sub-2000 matches, so maybe try those as well.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
How easy is AC6 normal compared with AC7? It's so ridiculous I can't change the difficulty at all after I've started the campaign.

Edit: So looks like you actually CAN change the difficulty mid way through the campaign in AC6, AC7 needs this.

Last edited:

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
SASM in the F16 with sub-2000 matches is what's doing it for me right now. Add some parts that buff up your special weapons. I got the battle royale trophy with that setup, so I am probably going to branch out and play more games above 2000.

I also hear the Gripen or 1 other (typhoon maybe?) can carry the SASM and still make it to sub-2000 matches, so maybe try those as well.
F-15C has SASM but can basically only take the SASM capacity increase part in sub-2000 matches. It's super agile though and very quick right off the bat.

Gripen E has SASM and can nearly take all special weapon upgrade parts in sub-2000 matches, plus something else.

The F-16C has SASM and can be decked out with all part slots filled and stil make it into sub-2000 matches.

The Gripen E is my personal fav in sub-2000.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
AC6 has a lot of features oddly missing from AC7, like wingman commands, allies seem to actually shoot down planes too. You can change the difficulty mid campaign, multiplayer has actual matchmaking, more modes as well as coop and although the voice acting is rough a lot more happens in the cutscenes as they're not just misty panoramas like I'm 7. Did AC6 have a larger budget or something?

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
F-15C has SASM but can basically only take the SASM capacity increase part in sub-2000 matches. It's super agile though and very quick right off the bat.

Gripen E has SASM and can nearly take all special weapon upgrade parts in sub-2000 matches, plus something else.

The F-16C has SASM and can be decked out with all part slots filled and stil make it into sub-2000 matches.

The Gripen E is my personal fav in sub-2000.
awesome--i just won my first battle royale! i used the f-16c with sasm and filled out all the part slots. sasm is probably the biggest game changer to me. for the longest time i had no idea which special weapon to use.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
You'll finish this now!

I managed in time, lol.

That final mission is white knuckle. Not as 'epic' as the likes of other games, maybe, but it sure had me sweating.

I'd say it's some around 4 and 6 for me, but the game doesn't top 0 or 5.
How would you rate the...
tunnel mission compared to other tunnel missions in the series?

Last edited:

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
AC6 has a lot of features oddly missing from AC7, like wingman commands, allies seem to actually shoot down planes too. You can change the difficulty mid campaign, multiplayer has actual matchmaking, more modes as well as coop and although the voice acting is rough a lot more happens in the cutscenes as they're not just misty panoramas like I'm 7. Did AC6 have a larger budget or something?

Considering AC is mostly considered a PS franchise for obvious reasons, I think it's easy to assume that MS offered up a nice check to support development in order to grab X360 exclusivity, so it's definitely possible it had a bigger budget.

I do miss the wingman commands from AC5 (honestly thought they were better in AC5 over 6) but I saw my teammates doing plenty of stuff in AC7 as well.
It does seem like their missiles do too little damage though as I saw hits quite often but not many kills.

There were a few times when I looked over and noticed a wingman in a furball with like 7-8 UAVs so they at the very least aggro enemies effectively.
I personally would have preferred that they left the commands in though, even if it was the simplified system from AC6.

I have a feeling it's less a budget concern in this case though, and more of a design decision. Just my hunch, but I think their marketing and sales teams probably wanted to try and bring in newcomers to the series (anecdotal stuff so far but I see a lot of people interested in it who have never played an AC game) and wanted to keep things simple wherever possible. I mean you already see a ton of people being frustrated by the difficulty and missing out on key radio chatter and such. I am guessing they felt the mission structures were already complicated enough that it didn't need another layer on top of that.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, need help with the final part of the last mission

How do you enter the space elevator and escape? Is it literally finessing through those thing openings then turning straight up? or is there another enterance?

Seems hard as all heck

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else still not received any codes from Best Buy? I pre-ordered the PS4 version and never got anything.
If your preorder didnt specify a code you're not getting it. When I called BB about my preorder last week they told me there was no way to add it to my current preorder and the only thing they could do was tell me to preorder the game again and return the original preorder

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
I'm definitely in the minority- but I'm not feeling the soundtrack so far , other than the main theme and it's 2/3 variations. I'm on Mission 13 now.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Okay, need help with the final part of the last mission

How do you enter the space elevator and escape? Is it literally finessing through those thing openings then turning straight up? or is there another enterance?

Seems hard as all heck

Okay so pay attention to the lights on the floor they are blinking and thats the way you need to go. Also try to be as far back as you can before trying.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so pay attention to the lights on the floor they are blinking and thats the way you need to go. Also try to be as far back as you can before trying.

Just got it, thanks.

Also, MAN that's the THIRD reference to

Ace Combat 5 in this game I caught. I really should have played that first. Haven't played it since it came out when I was a kid, dunno if I even finished it.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Just got it, thanks.

Also, MAN that's the THIRD reference to

Ace Combat 5 in this game I caught. I really should have played that first. Haven't played it since it came out when I was a kid, dunno if I even finished it.

It took me a while, it was my wife who pointed it out to me after witnessing me crash like 5+ times trying to do it.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me hopes that the Air Force secretly continued work on the YF-23 and that they have a few flying in secret alongside the F-22. Both of those jets are beautiful to me.

Though apparently there is news that Northrop Grumman could end up reviving the YF-23 as a stealth fighter for japan

Edit: found a video that sums up the situation.
https://youtu.be/hP1w29kxs20
I think you'll enjoy this gallery of concept art of what a production F-23 would have looked like

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ked-like-if-lockheed-lost-the-atf-competition

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, how does Ace Combat 5 compare? I know people like its story more, and d-pad can command allies.

I assume is also is missing things like the "hold accelerate and decelerate to fast turn" stuff?

How does it compare as a "I just wanna fly tonight" game? Planning on trading in AC7 since I just beat it, and don't have an interest in multiplayer....but if flying in 7 blows 5 out of the water sky, I might keep 7

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Considering AC is mostly considered a PS franchise for obvious reasons, I think it's easy to assume that MS offered up a nice check to support development in order to grab X360 exclusivity, so it's definitely possible it had a bigger budget.

I do miss the wingman commands from AC5 (honestly thought they were better in AC5 over 6) but I saw my teammates doing plenty of stuff in AC7 as well.
It does seem like their missiles do too little damage though as I saw hits quite often but not many kills.

There were a few times when I looked over and noticed a wingman in a furball with like 7-8 UAVs so they at the very least aggro enemies effectively.
I personally would have preferred that they left the commands in though, even if it was the simplified system from AC6.

I have a feeling it's less a budget concern in this case though, and more of a design decision. Just my hunch, but I think their marketing and sales teams probably wanted to try and bring in newcomers to the series (anecdotal stuff so far but I see a lot of people interested in it who have never played an AC game) and wanted to keep things simple wherever possible. I mean you already see a ton of people being frustrated by the difficulty and missing out on key radio chatter and such. I am guessing they felt the mission structures were already complicated enough that it didn't need another layer on top of that.
So far Ace Combat 6 seems less difficult and you can change difficulty, also you don't have to listen to the debriefing as it tells you the type of mission on the screen directly. There's also actual tutorials which I'm sure IGN would appreciate. I feel like AC7 was a big step back as far as being newcomer friendly from 6, speaking from someone that had never played the games before 7.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
does going in to cockpit view minimize your hit boxes for hitting surfaces? i found the last mission a lot easier to do in first person vs third.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
The zombies aren't going anywhere. (I've been successfully on damn near media blackout of RE2, apart from the stuff in the OTs. Didn't even touch the demo.)

Same, I was on blackout too. I've been avoiding it as much as possible. I got the demo last night to tweak the settings and see how it runs on my PC and PS4, but I won't be playing through it. Also wanna see the differences between the Japanese version and international release. I know decapitation is out, but they put so much work into the enemies and damage model it seems wasted if that is taken out of their "mature" version.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was terrified, but it got a lot easier. Ascending into the sky was terrifying like nothing else has been.

For me the most intense thing was having to fly past your wingman in 5, was just straight up nuts.
Yeah flying up the space elevator was pretty difficult, I probably crashed about 4 to 5 times either in the windbreak or when you have to make that tight turn upwards to fly into it. I actually crashed more during the initial tunnel run, the heavier weight of the airplane made it really hard to control accurately.

And yeah the run in 5 is pretty much the most over the top they've been, though I like the one in 3 where its just the entire mission with ominous electronic music in the background. Often I would always get spatially disoriented and crash into a wall or something.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So far Ace Combat 6 seems less difficult and you can change difficulty, also you don't have to listen to the debriefing as it tells you the type of mission on the screen directly. There's also actual tutorials which I'm sure IGN would appreciate. I feel like AC7 was a big step back as far as being newcomer friendly from 6, speaking from someone that had never played the games before 7.

Yeah, I am not saying they succeeded or that the rationale even makes sense. just that it might have been their reasoning.
I personally like the wingmen commands, but I could see it being perceived as either useless fluff (if you don't need it) or unnecessarily complicated (if they changed the design to actually require it). If they added it, but you never needed to actually use it then it would probably be criticized, but if they added it in with the current mission structure/design I can basically guarantee you would have even more frustrated players.

There is a balance to strike in the middle there, but I could see them deciding to nix it just to avoid adding another layer to things.

Stuff like the difficulty settings and tutorials are a weird decision though.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Also something I love is the mission I just played you have to lower your gear and make your own approach to a runway in the middle of the battle. Wish there was a mission in 7 with a runway to land on in the middle of the level like this. Was always a bit lame when you were already lined up and it just faded out to a different map.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Got my Thrustmaster stick. Haven't tried it out yet but initial impressions compared to my old AC5 Hori stick leave me wanting to buy the Hori. It just feels so light and cheap compared to the Hori. I also found the throttle being very loose compared to the Hori. I wish you could adjust the tension on the throttle like they let you with the stick.

It looks nice though, and the price being less than half of the Hori makes it a bit rather to swallow. If only it worked with AC5 too.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the MP advice. I think I'll play around with putting distance between myself and the group and coming back in for hit and run attacks.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get a single named pilot to spawn. Either I miss something or the sites with the conditions are busted.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Thrustmaster stick. Haven't tried it out yet but initial impressions compared to my old AC5 Hori stick leave me wanting to buy the Hori. It just feels so light and cheap compared to the Hori. I also found the throttle being very loose compared to the Hori. I wish you could adjust the tension on the throttle like they let you with the stick.

It looks nice though, and the price being less than half of the Hori makes it a bit rather to swallow. If only it worked with AC5 too.

Yea I too wish it had more throw and resistance on the throttle. Force feedback as well. The lack of resistance really kind of disconnects you from the game but you get used to it.

One big advantage for the Thrustmaster I keep reading though is that the Hori is terribly supported on PC. If you plan to use it for anything beyond Ace Combat games, it can be a real chore to get the thing working and functioning well enough. On the flipside, the Thrustmaster is very well supported(I'm playing X-Wing currently with every button mapped) and the drivers are updated pretty regularly. Just a lot of disappointment with the Hori stemming from its price and support expectations.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Currently I'm trying to break out of the non-stop hard left/hard right figure right stuff and using the clouds more.

Clouds are very useful, especially for avoiding players with SAAMs. I don't see enough people taking advantage of them.

I think you'll enjoy this gallery of concept art of what a production F-23 would have looked like

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ked-like-if-lockheed-lost-the-atf-competition

When we gonna get this bad boy, the F-32:

df-sd-03-15738.jpg

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

My impressions exactly. You will hate the stick for the first 2-3 missions you use it for if you are so used to the Hori ones from 5 and 6. However, play with the tension, give your hands time to adapt to the less-than-ideal but functional button layout, and you'll start to love the stick. I pulled my Hori out of storage and am sad to say that the rubber has gotten all sticky and gross after 10 years of sitting in the box. I just wanted to remid myself what I liked about it over the Thrustmaster, and it absolutely is the button layout. However, 8 missions in and I have fully adapted to the Thrustmaster layout. For 1/3 the cost of the Hori (got mine for $50), I can deal with the compromise!

On an unrelated note - how do you set the audio profile for the playstation headset? I am using a Wireless Gold 500 Million Edition. I didn't see any options beyond volume control in the options menu.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
My impressions exactly. You will hate the stick for the first 2-3 missions you use it for if you are so used to the Hori ones from 5 and 6. However, play with the tension, give your hands time to adapt to the less-than-ideal but functional button layout, and you'll start to love the stick. I pulled my Hori out of storage and am sad to say that the rubber has gotten all sticky and gross after 10 years of sitting in the box. I just wanted to remid myself what I liked about it over the Thrustmaster, and it absolutely is the button layout. However, 8 missions in and I have fully adapted to the Thrustmaster layout. For 1/3 the cost of the Hori (got mine for $50), I can deal with the compromise!

On an unrelated note - how do you set the audio profile for the playstation headset? I am using a Wireless Gold 500 Million Edition. I didn't see any options beyond volume control in the options menu.
You use the Headset Companion app to put the profile on the headset, and then you select the custom profile on the headset itself to use it.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, let's be real here. I feel like I had a really hard time with Mission 5, and now I'm struggling in Mission 6.

I need to decide now if I should just restart the game on easy for a more enjoyable experience. Because I've been getting a little frustrated. Don't have as much time for restarts like I used to!

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mission 4 is some boolsheet. I didn't shoot missiles the entire time, only bullets.

Man if I get a court-martial for this then the inspectors are fucked up; look at my loadout you donks. How could I shoot a missile if I have ALL OF MY MISSILES. "Where did that missile come from!?" eat a dick you blind piece of...

Anyway, the story continues!

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of annoying how 8AGMs will target the same target over and over before acquiring new targets.
It makes it hard to fire them efficiently since you've pretty much got to make sure all 8 of your targets are in range the moment you switch to them or you'll get 3 missiles on target 1 and then 5 other missiles spread out among the other targets.

Or if you've only got 3 targets and you're not quick enough on the trigger all 8 missiles will go to 3 targets, effectively wasting 5 ammo.

For that reason alone I prefer 4AAMs but man when you get the full effect out of a volley of 8AAMs it obliterates mission objectives.

I need to decide now if I should just restart the game on easy for a more enjoyable experience. Because I've been getting a little frustrated. Don't have as much time for restarts like I used to!

The difficulty doesn't do much, the main places you see difficulty are in how aggressive the AI get and how many points are required for score attack missions. I haven't played the game on easy but you can really only tell the difference between Normal and Ace difficulty, I had a hard time telling the difference between normal and hard other than point requirements going up.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's kind of annoying how 8AGMs will target the same target over and over before acquiring new targets.
It makes it hard to fire them efficiently since you've pretty much got to make sure all 8 of your targets are in range the moment you switch to them or you'll get 3 missiles on target 1 and then 5 other missiles spread out among the other targets.

Or if you've only got 3 targets and you're not quick enough on the trigger all 8 missiles will go to 3 targets, effectively wasting 5 ammo.

For that reason alone I prefer 4AAMs but man when you get the full effect out of a volley of 8AAMs it obliterates mission objectives.

The difficulty doesn't do much, the main places you see difficulty are in how aggressive the AI get and how many points are required for score attack missions. I haven't played the game on easy but you can really only tell the difference between Normal and Ace difficulty, I had a hard time telling the difference between normal and hard other than point requirements going up.
I played through the game on Easy and didn't struggle at any part except the very very end. This is from someone that hadn't played an Ace Combat game before and isn't very good. Really think a lot more people should play on Easy, hoping they patch in the ability to change your difficulty pre mission like in AC6 for those who are struggling on higher difficulties.