• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
F35 is a glorified F18, F16, Harrier, etc "supposedly" with higher air-to-air capability
The F-22 is the lineage of the F14, F15 as a pure air superiority fighter.

In the real world the F35 should be more useful in general,
in Ace Combat it has the best stealth and best a2a of real jets until the introduction of Russia's Su-57(Pak-Fa, T-50) so it obviously is higher tier.

honestly the YF-23 should come after the F-22 because it was actually a bit better but far more expensive so the Air Force went with the F-22.
Also the YF-23 has the honor of being drawn by Shoji Kawamori for Macross Plus and Macross 7. The F-22 can't say the same thing. I love the sexy YF-23.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Also the YF-23 has the honor of being drawn by Shoji Kawamori for Macross Plus and Macross 7. The F-22 can't say the same thing. I love the sexy YF-23.
Part of me hopes that the Air Force secretly continued work on the YF-23 and that they have a few flying in secret alongside the F-22. Both of those jets are beautiful to me.

Though apparently there is news that Northrop Grumman could end up reviving the YF-23 as a stealth fighter for japan

Edit: found a video that sums up the situation.
https://youtu.be/hP1w29kxs20

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me hopes that the Air Force secretly continued work on the YF-23 and that they have a few flying in secret alongside the F-22. Both of those jets are beautiful to me.

Though apparently there is news that Northrop Grumman could end up reviving the YF-23 as a stealth fighter for japan
Japan stays winning lol, I have always like the YF-23, it's a very unique looking jet.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I think the 3 mission VR Mode left me with the biggest "why can't there be more" - feeling since the x-wing VR-mission. Goddamn.
I really hope they add VR DLC missions, even if it seems unlikely

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think my only real complaint is that the MP is seriously undercooked. Would have preferred playlists with matchmaking. Rooms and stuff always feel cumbersome and slow.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Holy shit why did nobody tell me the multiplayer was absolutely fantastic?
People in this thread have basically all said that they've enjoyed the MP after trying it... Project Aces did a really good job on it (I'm assuming helped by whatever they learned from Ace Combat Infinity, although I never played that game). It's fun, and the matches are short enough that they never outstay their welcome.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I see people making super tight turns and have zero clue how to do them.
High G turns, probably. Admittedly I'm not good at them either.

A good thing to do is shift targets. If you see someone else while you're tracking a target you can't seem to get, go after them instead. And if you see a big melee going on, fire up some 4xAAs and let them all have it, you're bound to get at least one kill.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure you mean the ASF-X Shinden II, the YF-23 is a real life plane that competed in the ATF program against the YF-22, which became the Raptor.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I see people making super tight turns and have zero clue how to do them.

High maneuverability planes can pitch up, flip over, and dive if their speed is low enough with a special input. Otherwise you can also airbrake and throttle at the same time and get tight turns at the risk of stalling if you hold it for too long.

I'm going to try getting into the habit of breaking off engagements in the middle of a brawl and re-engaging from high altitude. Except for the 4AAM or 8AAM I'm not sure what else to use to compliment that approach. There is a long range missile that you can get on the F-16 I think but its tracking isn't great. And there's also the one on the SU-47 where you have to keep your target in the reticle but that requires a much finer touch.

Last night someone was tearing it up in an A-10 in a 2000 point game. Gives me hope for serious variety, at least in low limit games.

Last edited:

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder for everyone using a Playstation brand headset : there is an audio profile available for AC7.

Update the app if the AC7 profile is nowhere to be found when you launch it.
I might give this a go. I hardly ever use my Gold headset anymore. Would be amazing if the only thing coming through the headset was the radio chatter and left sound effects coming through main speakers, would give it a very cool feel imo.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they had the coop PVE multiplayer from Infinity, where your team competes against another one to see who reaches a certain score first by killing NPCs.

It felt much more like an actual mission. I don't enjoy pure PVP.

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Besides the HORI one, what other sticks work with Ace Combat on the PS4?

I have the Thrustmaster 16000M, and would just need to buy the throttle if that will work with it.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Finally got the game, after it took 3 days for DHL to deliver my game from Amazon, with "same day delivery-Evening Express" shipping. That was damn depressing.

But now im freshly hyped, holding the beauty in my hand, just right now :)

I didn't know that it has japanese voices included. How good is it to play Ace Combat in japanese? Does it have a good cast? I usually like to play my japanese games using the original voices, but I always played Ace Combat games in english back then. Can't even remember if Ace Combat 6 or Assault Horizon had the japanese voices included.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finally got the game, after it took 3 days for DHL to deliver my game from Amazon, with "same day delivery-Evening Express" shipping. That was damn depressing.

But now im freshly hyped, holding the beauty in my hand, just right now :)

I didn't know that it has japanese voices included. How good is it to play Ace Combat in japanese? Does it have a good cast? I usually like to play my japanese games using the original voices, but I always played Ace Combat games in english back then. Can't even remember if Ace Combat 6 or Assault Horizon had the japanese voices included.
It's quite hard enough on English getting a gist of what is happening during the missions, I imagine it would be quite hard with subs. The cast is okay I think, but there's some cheesy and awkward dialogue every now and then.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck do you actually hit people online? I just chase targets for ages, firing when I get the fire missile thing show up, and just never hit anything. Or get hit half the time. Just endless circling.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck do you actually hit people online? I just chase targets for ages, firing when I get the fire missile thing show up, and just never hit anything. Or get hit half the time. Just endless circling.

Endless circling close in is why you aren't hitting anything and getting wrecked. Spend a little time looking up some manuvering strategies online. I suck at online as well but in general you have to put some distance between you and the furball, and come crashing back in from above or speed back in and try to get some shots off at players who are engaged with others or not paying attention. There's also several evasive manuvers you can pull off to help get out from in front of pursuers. Another thing to remember is that its better to have the locks coming in on you from the side or at angles. Dead on and right behind you are the absolute worst. Higher chance the missles miss you if coming in from a bad angle or the side.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The great thing is that the YF-23 project isn't dead. Japan is considering bringing the aircraft over there to counter China's Chengdo J-20 . And Northrop is very interested in the project, and has made considerable revisions to the aircraft, both in stealth and dog fighting capability, since 1990.

Oct 25, 2017
The great thing is that the YF-23 project isn't dead. Japan is considering bringing the aircraft over there to counter China's Chengdo J-20 . And Northrop is very interested in the project, and has made considerable revisions to the aircraft, both in stealth and dog fighting capability, since 1990.
Oh my god, I'd prefer if we got some of those as well. Also I'm pretty sure the testing on that airframe was expensive so if they can finally generate an income off of that, that would be great. Also the tech in that thing must have been very forward thinking if it could still be brought into service like 29 years later and be modern.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Quite enjoyed playing through the game, felt like a nice expansion the the AC5/0 storyline, especially the all the references made it feel part of the universe. I can't remember for the life of me what happened in 6 though for any connections there, but I can't wait to go back and play through 5 again, which is easily my favourite of the series.

I sadly wasn't a massive fan of the final mission.
Compared to previous games it felt a bit anticlimactic. I've never been a big fan of chase around the super plane with the crazy skills, but doing it like 4-5 times in the game is too many. At least in AC0 it really fit in with the story well at the end, but the drones could get annoying in general, let alone having two super ones as the last big fight.

But then chasing the drone under the space elevator, I got excited where it was heading, a good triumphent typical flying out of the enemy base as things explode ending as Ace Combat does so well. But you just went under, killed the drone like super quick, and then in a tepid show of skill flew out quite easily, no drama. It was made far less awesome having one of the most annoying characters in the game in Count fly in with you.

Not that anything has really touched the epic -ness of megalith.

It was however super cool to hear Nagase at the end, that was a really nice surprise.

I played on normal as I usually do, I will move on to hard at some point. I felt some of those point mission times were pretty short even for normal difficulty. It also felt like they were less open, the only ones I can remember that were had short time limits so didn't really let you do your own thing or play around, it wasn't worth moving about.
In some ways the game felt like an amalgamation of missions taken from previous games with a new story, and as such as a whole felt nowhere near as cohesive at times. I was also surprised at how little the weather really came into the game by the end.

The multiplayer is what I expected, lots of players flying around in circles hoping to get a shot off, most winners using that special weapon that had become so common. I would have far preferred more of a PvE multiplayer where we can fly around completing missions and tasks together.

As a whole I would rank it under 4/5/0, and again 6 I can't remember besides getting the missle warning alert in my dreams. An enjoyable Ace Combat experience, but it felt a bit by the books for the series.

I really hope it does well and this is the start of a new set of Ace Combat games.

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Fantastic game, really loving it taking it slow (1 mission a day if I get the time). Just not a fan of the constant twists in missions and the abuse of weather conditions to fuck up your navigation. I mean, you want me to dogfight drones in a cannon at low altitude? Fine. But leave my instruments alone!

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Was real happy to see this today, Ace Combat 7 is almost topping the Xbox top paid charts in the US.

0EKVzAT.png

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone wondering,
F-14 35 MP kill emblem is
latest

Someone in multiplayer earlier had Bartlett's Heartbreak 1 emblem.
latest

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting... damned later PC launch...
No. I believe the YF-21 takes a lot of inspiration from the YF-23.
Trivia:
This reminds me, do people know there's actual F-20 and F-21 in real life?
The catch with these is that F-20 Tigershark's production never got off ground because the US wanted to sell F-16 and F-18, and F-21 is the US designation for the Israeli IAI Kfir (which is based on Dassault Mirage 5), for air combat training.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Can you pause a replay? I figured out that you can slow it down, but it seems like there's no way to pause it completely. I would love to play around with the camera etc. and make some nice screenshots, but it's hard to get the best shot like that.

Nov 4, 2017
My interest in this series was piqued today. Is there a connection between the series stories. Where is a good place to start?
I'm someone who likes to go beach to the beginning.

Also was there a Gundam game made by the ace combat devs? I swore I've heard of it before, but there are hundreds of Gundam games to sift through.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Re: Under 2k Gripen, I've now switched my primary in that playlist to a loaded F-16 with SASM. I've found that I can throw more special weapon boosting parts on while simultaneously having enough mobility parts to be even faster than the Gripen. The only disadvantage is durability.... but if I fly well enough i'm not getting hit that often anyways.
I tried out the F-16C but wasn't happy with it. You can get it to a very slightly higher top speed than the Gripen E with parts, but the Gripen E is still better in every single other category, and that's with all of the useful Special Weapon parts attached. Unless you have access to certain parts that I haven't unlocked yet (trying to look through the whole tree is a real pain).

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Chalk me up as another person who is both surprised and extremely pleased with the multiplayer.
I still want the PVE mode from Infinity and won't shut up about it for the foreseeable future, but damn what is there is already great.
I like the fact that it's a fairly robust room system (for a JP game at least!), and as others have said the 2000 rooms are definitely the best place to start.
You will still see some cheese in there but it's usually at the cost of something else in their build I am sure.

I played with my brother in a variety of rooms (moving through 2000, 2250, and 2500 as he unlocked stuff) and after the first couple of rough matches we really started to dominate, especially in the 2000 room. I was running a F-14D spec'ed for extra power, speed, and homing on standard missiles along with 8AAM for high altitude drops to break up the furball, while my brother mostly stayed in the thick of it with a SASM F-16 build.

We were having a ton of fun and had some legit Top Gun "ICE! ON THE COUNT OF THREE BREAK HARD RIGHT!!" moments where we were able to save each others asses and coordinate our shots and timing. I can see the MP in this game becoming a staple for us!

As others have said, you really need to stay out of the furball unless your plane is specifically spec'd for close range stuff and you have the skills to pull off the more demanding maneuvers.

Someone else said it earlier in the thread, but getting a high score is less about chasing down the top guy constantly, but more about coming up with your own firing solution and only firing when it is on your own terms.

One of my favorite strategies with my F-14D was escaping the furball straight up and getting as much altitude as possible. Eventually someone decides that I am an easy target and tries to get a lock. As soon as I get a missile warning I do a 180 and head back towards the furball at full speed, launching my 8AAMs as soon as I have full lock.

Even if they don't hit anything it usually manages to disperse the furball and giving me and my teammates a chance to chase down targets more safely for cleaner shots.

The multiplayer only mods at the bottom of the Aircraft Tree are also key. Some of the parts at the end of the specific trees are real game-changers.