• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
It's absolutely ridiculous you can't quit and change the mission difficulty until you've finished the campaign or restart from scratch.

I think it's sort of a legacy thing. I think at the very least they could've tried to add more checkpointing in missions that don't have obvious narrative breaks.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't get over how much I enjoyed the VR last night. I guess WipEout prepared me so no sickness at all, was just class.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So this'll be my first time with the series and I don't want to go in completely blind with regards to this world. What's the best way to catch up on the story from the previous games? Looking at YouTube, I was surprised to see how little there was by way of a story/lore summary.

JamboGT

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So this'll be my first time with the series and I don't want to go in completely blind with regards to this world. What's the best way to catch up on the story from the previous games? Looking at YouTube, I was surprised to see how little there was by way of a story/lore summary.

That should cover it, note these obviously contain spoilers for 4, 5 and Zero.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they released a soundtrack for the VR mode, I've looked through the main soundtrack for the game but it doesnt include songs from it.

I watched a play through of the VR mode and wished I could listen to cleaner versions of the songs.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm 3 mission in and I have question regarding the story

So we play as Trigger and we fight for Osean against Eurasian, right? Eurasian is the bad guy who started the war. But then the character we got in cutscene all looks like they're on the Eurasian side. Avri, the tech girl is in Osean prison and rooting for Eurasian princess. The old ace pilot that serve as reference for drone AI, then the news video also depict the Eurasian princess as the victim when she mention Osean retaliation.
So....are we the bad guy? Eurasia started the war, but the game seems to want me to root for Eurasia.

Oct 27, 2017
This game is so frustrating and yet I love it. I've walked away from a few missions and went back later and got it done. I'm only playing on normal too.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

So we play as Trigger and we fight for Osean against Eurasian, right? Eurasian is the bad guy who started the war. But then the character we got in cutscene all looks like they're on the Eurasian side. Avri, the tech girl is in Osean prison and rooting for Eurasian princess. The old ace pilot that serve as reference for drone AI, then the news video also depict the Eurasian princess as the victim when she mention Osean retaliation.

So....are we the bad guy? Eurasia started the war, but the game seems to want me to root for Eurasia.
The tech girl was literally caught in the crossfire and dragged into an Osea military prison, forced to work on planes, she isn't going to view Osea as "the good guy". The other side is just good'ol Ace Combat multi side story telling. Those threads will have much bigger implications later.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I've yet to finish the campaign but this looks like the usual ( and usually correct ) adagio: there are no bad and good guys in war.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm watching the briefing for mission 4 and I feel like they should be sending Solid Snake or some other super agent instead rather than planes... Unless of Trigger is actually super agent and we'll be doing some tactical espionage action, lol

Edit: I'm rrally enjoying the story so far. Great voice acting and presentation.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
So, I just finished with mission 4. Here are my thoughts so far.

I really loved mission 4, the best so far. I loved how it was different from the other missions, with the radar avoidance mixed with the turbulence pushing the plane around. When defending the president, there were 2 drones close to him, I already lost the mission before (playing on hard), so I was like, hell no, I will be close to him at all times. There were 2 drones, I shot the first one, the second went in front of him, and I saw my missile strike the president. At first, I was like, shit, now I have to redo it all over again, and what are even the odds? Then the cutscene starts, blaming me for shooting him down and etc. I was totally struck that it was purposely scripted. Scripted sequences are always bad because they seem, scripted, and you can see it from a mile away. This was really good.

The minor thing was the end of mission 3, when doing the carrier landing. I missed my first landing, no biggie, but the control tower was constantly screaming at me to land immediately. My second landing was trash, but I got it down in a hard landing. I was afraid of getting a mission failed because I missed the landing and the guy screaming at me.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
I'm watching the briefing for mission 4 and I feel like they should be sending Solid Snake or some other super agent instead rather than planes... Unless of Trigger is actually super agent and we'll be doing some tactical espionage action, lol

Edit: I'm rrally enjoying the story so far. Great voice acting and presentation.

I'm by no means an AC expert, but AC has always been about jet fighter wish fulfillment where every problem is solved with an airplane.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm by no means an AC expert, but AC has always been about jet fighter wish fulfillment where every problem is solved with an airplane.

More like grab action hero movie and replace the main character with a pilot and his jets.

In other news I invited a friend over to try out the VR missions and it blew his mind away. The fact that this was his first ever VR experience made it mind blowing, he was literally reaching and trying to touch dials and levers in the cockpit even after i repeatedly told him that's a normal desk in front of him. Fun.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More like grab action hero movie and replace the main character with a pilot and his jets.

In other news I invited a friend over to try out the VR missions and it blew his mind away. The fact that this was his first ever VR experience made it mind blowing, he was literally reaching and trying to touch dials and levers in the cockpit even after i repeatedly told him that's a normal desk in front of him. Fun.
This kind of thing is the only way I can see VR being worth it. Imagine having a chair with a flight stick built in that moves with your plane.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
What a pleasant surprise to start the year. Me and my cousin used to do a ton of splitscreen dogfighting in AC4/5 back in the day, but I haven't touched the series since and wasn't planning to buy 7, certainly not at launch.

Very glad I stuck with expert controls. They felt a little unwieldy initially, but feel amazing once you get the hang of things. Not typically a big fan of Cockpit view in most games, but it's absolutely orgasmic with headphones in this. I often catch myself playing with my mouth hanging wide open.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game killed my PS4. I was mid mission when my console randomly shut off. It will turn back on for a second, flash blue, then off again.

I managed to get it to boot in safe mode, restore it to default, and get it working again for 15ish minutes, then it shut itself off and it's back the blue light issue.

I realize it probably wasn't Ace Combat that offed it but ugggg. I was on mission 15! It'll be weeks (if not months) before I get a replacement.

Anyone have any ideas on a fix? None of the solutions online seemed to do anything.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
This game killed my PS4. I was mid mission when my console randomly shut off. It will turn back on for a second, flash blue, then off again.

I managed to get it to boot in safe mode, restore it to default, and get it working again for 15ish minutes, then it shut itself off and it's back the blue light issue.

I realize it probably wasn't Ace Combat that offed it but ugggg. I was on mission 15! It'll be weeks (if not months) before I get a replacement.

Anyone have any ideas on a fix? None of the solutions online seemed to do anything.
Does it happen on other missions?

If not I have a hunch.

Edit: Reading further into it, it sounds like a power supply issue

Last edited:

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
Do you get a message in the debriefing confirming that you did not take any damage? Can you do it in free mission or you need to start a new campaign? What difficulty did you do it in? Sorry for all the questions but I'm preparing to do this after the 'complete campaign in less than four hours' medal. I need your experience!

It seems as long as your damage percentage is 0% at the end, it's fine. There were a couple points where I could swear I got hit by a stray bullet, but it still said 0% damage, so I kept going. I just instantly restarted from checkpoint if I ever reached 1%. At the debriefing screen, you should get a "No damage" bonus for each mission. I started a new campaign on easy, and ran through it like that.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have in the past bought and enjoyed premium-level Hori-brand peripherals (I, in fact, currently own and regularly use their top-end arcade stick) but I notice their Hotas for AC7 is really quite pricey versus the Thrustmaster, and both seem to be officially licensed and branded for AC7.

Anyone know if there's a huge difference between the two? Why does the Hori Hotas cost more than double the amount of the Thrustmaster?

Never owned or used a Hotas before but this game is really, really inspiring me to get one. Not out of necessity, but just to elevate the fun I'm having even higher.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

If successfully booting it in safe mode didn't work then it sounds like a hardware issue unfortunately. As in something needs replacing.

Shloud probably take it into a repair shop or something.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I got this last night and immediately jumped into multi-player.

It's a lot of fun but it really needs an attacker and defender mode where ground attack weapons and aircraft are viable. The attacking side can bring attack craft and go after ground targets and the defending side has to protect those same assets while employing AI air defense systems.

Can't wait to get home to play more tonight.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a competitive co-op mode would be cool too. 4v4 taking on AI objectives and whichever team gets the higher score wins, maybe have the mode end with an elimination duel between the two teams if all of the AI objectives are completed within a certain time frame.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat this (on hard) last night! Really loved it. The difficulty was perfect for me as a series vet who replayed some of the games recently -- only the later ground attack score limit missions were really challenging, but everything struck a great balance.

Hard to rank my favorite games in the series, but this is up there with 4/5 for me, maybe better than one or both of them.

One major thing I disliked was the aircraft tree -- In past games i've experimented with a variety of types of planes, and picked and choosed what i want for aesthetics and stats. In this game I stuck firmly to the russian fighter tree and never picked up anything else. Felt really stifling, I didn't want to fly an su-33 for 80% of the campaign! (Plus the actual ui for navigating the tree was really bad, made it super hard to find specific things and to compare plane stats)

Played a tiny bit of multiplayer but it's not really for me. I wish they had more complex modesl like competitive ground attack stuff, maybe I'd stick with that a bit more.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Can someone answer a question on multiplayer mode?

Just had a quick match against my 9yo son and he was using "normal" rather than expert control mode.

I just couldn't get a missile to hit him. Had lots of great position, was always in his six, but no matter how many missiles I fired none would connect. On the rare occasion he'd get a shot off his missiles would hit.

Was this to do with control mode? I was on expert, he was on normal?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I have in the past bought and enjoyed premium-level Hori-brand peripherals (I, in fact, currently own and regularly use their top-end arcade stick) but I notice their Hotas for AC7 is really quite pricey versus the Thrustmaster, and both seem to be officially licensed and branded for AC7.

Anyone know if there's a huge difference between the two? Why does the Hori Hotas cost more than double the amount of the Thrustmaster?

Never owned or used a Hotas before but this game is really, really inspiring me to get one. Not out of necessity, but just to elevate the fun I'm having even higher.

From what I'm reading, the Thrustmaster is a true HOTAS and as a result, games have to explicitly support it. The Hori is mapping a Dualshock 4 to a HOTAS so it's pretty much compatible with every game on the PS3 and PS4. That includes the AC5 preorder bonus, Star Wars Battlefront X-Wing PSVR, and Wipeout PSVR. It also has vibration force feedback, the Dualshock 4 touch pad, and a headphone jack which is lacking on the Thrustmaster. While the Hori is PC compatible, it will be detected as a control pad where as the Thrustmaster should be detected as a flight stick.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
This game is ridiculously addictive. I literally sat my ass on the couch and played all day yesterday and never got bored.
Yeah I had to force myself to stop at mission 19. I get my flight stick in today so I wanted to try the last two missions with it.

I also had to force myself to stop the VR campaign. Got to the middle of mission two and quit... I want to savor it after I beat the main campaign and use the flight stick with it as well.

Someone posted reddit reviews on the HORI stick a few pages ago. Neither reviewer liked it, especially for the price. One said the Thrustmaster is the way to go, which is why I went ahead and ordered it.

Oct 25, 2017

game will clear it up later

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How much of the aircraft tree would you be able to purchase if you just played through the game, each mission once, getting average ranks?

Or another way to ask would be, how much grinding is needed to get the fanciest planes? It seems like a lot right now (4 missions in) but I'm only earning chump change for the most part, not sure how much that ramps up later. But I'm probably playing each mission twice just to try different things/listen to radio chatter I may have missed.

JamboGT

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I had the F22 by the end though I did do a few multiplayer rounds as well as getting a friend to have a go and redoing a couple of the earlier missions.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much of the aircraft tree would you be able to purchase if you just played through the game, each mission once, getting average ranks?

Or another way to ask would be, how much grinding is needed to get the fanciest planes? It seems like a lot right now (4 missions in) but I'm only earning chump change for the most part, not sure how much that ramps up later. But I'm probably playing each mission twice just to try different things/listen to radio chatter I may have missed.

I got enough to beeline from the start to the final plane on one branch, and then maybe do another ~half a branch, playing on hard and mostly getting As and Bs

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017

I think the price difference is bc the Hori stick has force feedback, I'm just using the thurstmaster after getting it on sale and like it fine though. Also I played a bit with the dualshock and probably played better that way, the stick is just more fun imo but the game plays great on a controller.

Laie

Jul 20, 2018
shit, this looks so cool. get it NOW for PS4 Pro or wait until it's out on PC is the question
game runs at very stable 60fps on ps4 pro, if you intend to try out vr mode and want to enjoy multiplayer without cheaters, i would say buy the game now
getting ace combat 5 is also a big plus

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Help, I can't beat mission 6 at all. I've tried it many times and I'm nowhere near reaching the required score needed within the time limit.

Should I focus on planes or stick to ground target? Recommended planes and weapons? How do the targeting work? I know there are 3 bomber planes that score a lot of point, but they're fleeing the scene and I have to keep pressing triangle hoping for the targeting to select them, all while dodging missiles etc.

How do you use flare?

Oct 25, 2017

I'm currently just got the YF23, granted I enjoy this enough to play the missions more than once and got the YF23 during a bit of a multiplayer grind, it's not that bad though and my most recent mission is I think I now have to beat mission 13.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Help, I can't beat mission 6 at all. I've tried it many times and I'm nowhere near reaching the required score needed within the time limit.

Should I focus on planes or stick to ground target? Recommended planes and weapons? How do the targeting work? I know there are 3 bomber planes that score a lot of point, but they're fleeing the scene and I have to keep pressing triangle hoping for the targeting to select them, all while dodging missiles etc.

How do you use flare?

Flares on DS4 I believe are clicking L3/R3 at the same time. If you are using the thrustmaster it's the bottom button on the group of three on the throttle (where your thumb rests).

For Mission 6 I used the LAGMs because they have a little splash damage, and focused mainly on ground attacks. If an air target happened to be above me on a path that was easy to intercept without taking me too far from the course I was on, I would break and attack.