• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Just finished the campaign. It was pretty good, but not as good as 5. Its definitely on par with the PS2 trilogy.

Also
Was it implied that the drones were self aware?

Not really self-aware, just acting on a 'self-protection' instinct, and increasing production of drones was a means of doing it.

Honestly I'd say it's better than 5; and in a lot of ways is a better execution on the core ideas of 5.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really self-aware, just acting on a 'self-protection' instinct, and increasing production of drones was a means of doing it.

Honestly I'd say it's better than 5; and in a lot of ways is a better execution on the core ideas of 5.
Man I so disagree, I feel like the framework for the story in this game was actually garbage in comparison to 5.
Your character and squadron feel entirely disconnected to the main plot 90% of the game, same for the other 3 character branches.

In 5 your character actually exists, the story starts with your characters and ends with it.
You are with your characters every step of the way as the story progresses and you get legitimate cutscenes setting up any major movement or development... that actually feature you and your squadron.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Man I so disagree, I feel like the framework for the story in this game was actually garbage in comparison to 5.
Your character and squadron feel entirely disconnected to the main plot 90% of the game, same for the other 3 character branches.

In 5 your character actually exists, the story starts with your characters and ends with it.
You are with your characters every step of the way as the story progresses and you get legitimate cutscenes setting up any major movement or development... that actually feature you and your squadron.

I really disagree. I don't think Blaze stood for... anything in particular in 5. Whereas 7's theme is about rising beyond the circumstances you find yourself in to do the right thing and help others, and Trigger's arc plays into that extremely well.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
Well I finished it, the final mission really felt like a love letter to the fans who had been with the franchise since forever.
That was incredible.
I am so glad this game exists.
I actually thought
we wouldn't have to do a tunnel run
Did the
Stonehenge
mission piss off anyone else, or do I just suck?
It was the mission where the lack of wingman commands really got on my nerves.

You need a fast plane and you need to be Johnny on the spot with each wave of call outs from the ground troops.

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I actually thought
we wouldn't have to do a tunnel run

It was the mission where the lack of wingman commands really got on my nerves.

You need a fast plane and you need to be Johnny on the spot with each wave of call outs from the ground troops.

They showed something like that in a trailer, was expecting it to be the last level too.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Fresh to the franchise and haven't even played the main game yet but whew boy that PSVR mode. God damn that's a good experience. Haven't even shot anything yet, just flown around.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I made a post earlier in the thread.

Cliffs: Don't chase planes, switch targets continually to try and get a good lock behind a target, don't try to shoot missiles at planes going laterally through your HUD, use SASM or QAAM with SP weapon mods (homing+, loadout+ etc), use high-g turn in bursts conserve your energy and keep your speed up around 900-1k at all times, play in the 2000 point restriction rooms.
Yeah, this is kind of what I have been doing, but it works so-so. Maybe gear really makes a difference, there are some planes that shoot super fast missiles in 2000 restriction modes. It feels like people are out playing other people with better parts or something. I can really tell when everyone has similar planes where nobody is dying.

Speed + missiles are bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the story in theses game matter? as in do I gain anything for playing the other games before this one or it's fine to jump into 7 as my first game?

I'm still waiting for the Steam release but I'm wondering what I'm getting into.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
Does the story in theses game matter? as in do I gain anything for playing the other games before this one or it's fine to jump into 7 as my first game?

I'm still waiting for the Steam release but I'm wondering what I'm getting into.
There's a shared general history but no you don't need to play the other games apart from the fact that I think they are better than this one....

Oct 25, 2017
Did the
Stonehenge
mission piss off anyone else, or do I just suck?

It's a mission that forces you to actually pick a plane and load out specifically designed for the mission. I struggled with it until i changed to an A-10 with multi target ground missiles and every upgrade for special weapons i could think of.

Mission becomes a joke when you wipe out all ground forces in one pass.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Not really.

There's a short bit after chapter 1 were the narrator explains the start of the world and the stuff that's going on. Like in the modern warfare call of duties. The central character and most of the plots are new arcs that stand on their own.

Certainly there's Easter eggs and references to older games but you can very easily just jump into this one fresh.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I am enjoying the game, but the X1X version is really unoptimized.

My Xbox overheated and shut down in one mission. In another mission, none of the scenery loaded.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My local Gamestop manager is trying to find me flight sticks so they can sell me the bundle that is $10 off and comes with a free season pass. Can't wait.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
F-15C with the PLSL is a great multi-role fighter if you are running into issues with multi-phase missions.
How does ammo work for the beam weapons? Is it unlimited with cooldown periods, or are there a certain number of shots you can fire?

I see that the F-15C and F-15E have access to different types too (burst vs continuous), but I haven't invested in unlocking them because I'm not sure whether they're good, or if it would be just that little bit too much from a realism point of view. Unlimited fuel, missiles, etc. I can kind of look past, I just worry that laser weapons might take it that little bit too far.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I wonder if my thrustmaster warthog will be way too heavy to use with such an arcadey game. So excited for the 1st, tho really frustrating it got delayed on pc given youtubers/digital foundry have access to it.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Mission 9 is okay difficulty wise if you're careful but it's not very enjoyable at all.

Edit: Okay, the second part is still cool.
They over did it on some of the missions where the weather played a role. Some of the worst missions in the game or Ace Combat history are the weather missions in AC7

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They over did it on some of the missions where the weather played a role. Some of the worst missions in the game or Ace Combat history are the weather missions in AC7
I'm okay with most the weather effect missions, but I just can't stand this one because of the homing missiles above the mountains and having to dive into clouds, trying to get a good rank, there are too many annoyingly placed enemies on top of mountains that are hard to target and far from clouds. Then there's the fact that the game is a bit finicky with what counts as under/in clouds meaning there are parts where I didn't think I was safe, but was, and then there are parts where it looks like I'm fully in a crowd but the missile still keeps coming after me anyway.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I completed the game today. Might be the best in the series overall, though the story did not reach AC5 levels of implication with my squad for me. More thoughts (spoilery) in the comments:
  • I feel like Count or Húxiān could have carried the story forward the same way Nagase, Grimm and Chopper did in AC5 if they were the focus. However, thanks to the narrative approach chosen, I thought missions 18, 19 and 20 were amazing. I´d have loved to have an additional series of CGI sequences with your squadmates.
  • The story in general had several great twists. Dialogue and events in the cutscenes was pretty meh at times, but the stuff that happens during the missions is pretty interesting at points.
  • The moment when Bandog marks Full Band as enemy and has Count shoot him down was very dark and interesting. Bandog is the first AWACS in the saga who is not, let´s say, very "supportive" of the player.
  • Mihaly´s plot was very compelling. I also welcome that they tried to do something more refreshing than having us fighting him in the final mission, as the battle over his old castle was very unexpected and emotional. His end is terribly sad too but... Oh well, he killed Brownie among others.
  • The "Blackout" after the taking of Farbanti is like COD:MW2´s "let´s detonate a nuke in orbit to leave everyone with no communications", but with actual gameplay implications. Loved it and did not expect it. It is almost post-apocalyptic from that point on in certain ways. It´s an additional challenge that adds worldbuilding to the mix and immersed me even more than what I already was.
  • I was impressed when the princess seemingly died in mission 19 in such a spectacular way, though it was brought back in the last mission. Hated that Tabloid died off screen, since I was so busy staying alive during the mission that I could not pick up how it happened.
  • Soundtrack might be the best in the series, hands down. It´s consistently great throughout the game. So many good moments turned amazing by Kobayashi´s tunes. Moments like when the vocals kick in when the Arsenal Bird´s shields are down, or when you face the Erusean squad with fake Friend-or-Foe tags.
  • The Nagase "cameo" at the end and the whole narrative of the real meaning of the Space Elevator really sounded with me. It was really emotional and it sets up an interesting premise if AC8 is ever made and takes place after the events of this one.
  • I love that so many plot points of all the other PS2 games are referenced in this one. Stonehenge, Belkans, Osea, the island with the ramp that they used in AC5 to send the Arkbird to orbit... just to name a few. Strangereal has always had interesting lore, and this game really capitalizes on that.
  • Arsenal Bird is one of the strongest and most memorable enemies in the saga. You are introduced to them early on, see how untouchable they are, and to shoot one down you even have to bring Stonehenge back (Amazing moment). The final battle against the second Arsenal Bird is probably my no.1 moment in the game.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Missions 5 and then 6 are kicking my ass. Time to get better at videogames I think.

Is there a way to farm points outside of normal progression in campaign ? Plenty of ground targets and an A10 just outside my reach in the technology tree, it's infuriating :D

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Beat 3 missions and this is great. So fun. PS4 pro here and it looks great too.

When is the soundtrack out? Also how come this is the only game in the last 5 years (apart from Nier) with an amazing soundtrack?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does ammo work for the beam weapons? Is it unlimited with cooldown periods, or are there a certain number of shots you can fire?

I see that the F-15C and F-15E have access to different types too (burst vs continuous), but I haven't invested in unlocking them because I'm not sure whether they're good, or if it would be just that little bit too much from a realism point of view. Unlimited fuel, missiles, etc. I can kind of look past, I just worry that laser weapons might take it that little bit too far.
The TLS (continuous fire) sucks.

But it and and PLSL both have limited ammo.

SpiritSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man I started playing Ace Combat 5 and the radio chatter is soooo much better. Plus I can give squad commands and they actually destroy other aircraft! Why did Project Aces take that out of Ace Combat 7?!

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
All difficulty in any video game is "artificial."

No I mean like (no pun intended) triggers. You know you have a quota but the game will not let you achieve that quota unless a certain criteria is met. Now that's all part of the design sure and I know Ace Combat is not a sim but in most cases the tools follow a certain logic. The radar, the physics the AI all follow certain rules until it gets to a certain point where it flirts with Ridge Racer-esque "no matter what you do we won't let this happen" kinda shit. You shoot missile yards away from target and it misses. Your flying at an altitude of 700 meters and literally half a second later you crash because "well y'know bad weather".

Basically when the game interferes with the established rules just to make it harder. That's horse shit. And it sticks out even more in a series like AC when the controls are pretty tight. I'm not even talking about AI difficultly spikes. Just fucking with the rules to fuck with you.

Oh well still love the game but damn is that annoying.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Played a little bit, up to the second mission. Only got up to it because I kept dying trying to take out all ground support. I then dived into multiplayer for a number of rounds. Holy crap people are good. Even with a 2,000 cap, I was getting destroyed, top of the leaderboards had an average of four kills with 20+ hits. I won one match of TDM only getting one kill of five matches, so many missles and flares going off. Easy to lose track of people trying to dodge missles, even with radar. I then played FFA/BR and surprisingly managed second place by my second game, only losing at the last second by someone getting some hits on another player. Game is a lot of fun, you get credits like crazy in multiplayer, I had something like 300,000 by the end of seven matches, despite being in last place for 4/7 and only winning one TDM and second in FFA/Battle Royale.

In MP its all about movement. Most of those guys have probably been playing the shit out of AC: Infinity over the last 5 years.

If you go look up some basic movement strategies, it'll help out A LOT.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I think my new (1 week) HOTAS t.flight 4 is broken. Whenever I push or pull the stick, the game also registers a twist/yaw motion. That makes playing the game more or less unplayable in areas that require precise movement, as there is no way to disable the "twist stick for yaw" - option. Starter randomly after a few days without a problem.
Is this a known issue with this stick? Or is there maybe a solution?

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man I started playing Ace Combat 5 and the radio chatter is soooo much better. Plus I can give squad commands and they actually destroy other aircraft! Why did Project Aces take that out of Ace Combat 7?!
It's great until the game starts throwing tunnels back at you. I forgot that was a thing in flight combat games until replaying this weekend.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I'm sort of surprised people here aren't digging the story more. I really enjoyed how it handled your progression and how all the characters interacted.