• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the Beastcast and Dan seems to really like the game, Quicklook will be up later in the day.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Great thread and excited for the series to return, though I'll have to wait until next month to try it.

Following Metacritic for years, I've rarely seen a game with so few mixed reviews, yet averaging only around 80. Still, it's a sign of two things: people really like it, even if it's not perfect, and MC/OC are useless metrics, for cases in which numbers have to be interpreted, not simply aggregated.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I like the game, but I also would point out some shortcomings. I think that the story isn't really good, haven't finished it yet, but it just doesn't click for me. Haven't played anything besides AC 6 before, so not sure about the others. Also, I think check points aren't placed enough or at the right spots in (some) missions, found it pretty annoying to replay long scenes again which were easy, just to get to the difficult point again and fail some more and replay the long part again.

Aside from that: the flying itself, weather, clouds, sounds, etc. are great. I also like the freedom of choosing the right weapons and planes for the mission. Though I would have hoped for better cockpit designs, not sure how realistic it is in some cases, but I just had to switch to 3rd person or 1std person without cockpit usually, while the rain effects and stuff are so much cooler from cockpit view. But that depends on the plane, some are fine from cockpit view, others are not.

Overall (if I would have to give a score), I would probably go with low 80s at this point or high 70s, so somewhere between 78-82 at this point.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Just picked up my ps4 copy of the game.

Hope it's locked at 60fps on Pro.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Good writeup from Gamecentral:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/18/ace-combat-7-skies-unknown-review-flying-high-8357968/

sum up:

In Short: A successful return flight for the veteran franchise, with highly entertaining aerial action that remains accessible for new fans and old.

Pros: Excellent controls and combat, with plenty of options for both veterans and newbies. Fantastic graphics, promising multiplayer, and plenty of content. One of the best VR experiences ever.

Cons: There are still unavoidable problems with variety in mission design. The plot is both confusing and not very interesting. No squad commands and ungenerous checkpointing.

Score: 8/10

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'm just starting Ace Combat Squadron Leader on the PS4, and there are three options for the campaign:
  • JPN
  • ENG
  • ENG (JPN VER.)
Any idea what ENG (JPN VER.) is?

Is this a PAL vs NTSC thing, where JPN is 60Hz, ENG is 50Hz, and ENG (JPN VER.) is 60Hz? These are not the default language or subtitle settings, those are in a different spot.

EDIT: It's not a PAL vs NTSC thing, it is a language setting of some kind. Still not sure how ENG and ENG (JPN VER.) differ, I've tried the ENG (JPN VER.) and it's just straight English.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats a good flight stick to get for PS4? I dont wanna go too expensive because I can see myself just trying it out with AC7 but I definitely wanna give it a whirl. Ive never played an Ace Combat game before but seeing a video of someone using one of those things looks super fun.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One odd thing - the AC5 bonus is neat but I find that the game looks dramatically more impressive on an original PS2 on a CRT. The higher res kind of ruins the magic and reveals its limitations. It just looks more realistic on an interlaced display somehow.

This is what I figured looking at the HD footage. The illusion is gone. I don't remember cockpits looking so bad.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I bought the game just for the VR missions the same way I bought Star Wars Battlefield just for the VR mission. I'm playing on a Pro. I have 224 PSVR games and I have to say this is one of the best experiences of all. It's absolutely exhilarating. I've never played an Ace Combat game before, but I have all the other PSVR flying games like Eve: Valkyrie and Ultrawings. That said, this is much faster and it's taken time to get my bearings (I've crashed a lot) and I haven't beaten the first mission yet, playing on Easy, after playing an hour. I get to the third wave of enemies and they destroy my base and I fail the mission and have to start over before the second wave. I had read that you can beat all the VR missions in 45 minutes so I was expecting a cakewalk.

Yeah, on normal my times for them are 8mins, 13mins and 18mins so definitely doable. Glad you're having a blast though.

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
My first ace combat game and golly gee do I love the writing. That first cutscene about the deep blue sky is a real *chef's kiss*. I'm like, beating missions just so I can listen to that girl monologue about whatever. I'm not totally sure how I'd describe the tone, but it is the exact kind of genre nonsense I live for.

uh, also the actual game part rules super hard. I think I'm a plane boy now.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just starting Ace Combat Squadron Leader on the PS4, and there are three options for the campaign:
  • JPN
  • ENG
  • ENG (JPN VER.)

Is this a PAL vs NTSC thing, where JPN is 60Hz, ENG is 50Hz, and ENG (JPN VER.) is 60Hz? These are not the default language or subtitle settings, those are in a different spot.

EDIT: It's not a PAL vs NTSC thing, it is a language setting of some kind. Still not sure how ENG and ENG (JPN VER.) differ, I've tried the ENG (JPN VER.) and it's just straight English.

could be the ENG (JPN VER.) is directly translated whereas the ENG has more localisation or something?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
  • JPN
  • ENG
  • ENG (JPN VER.)

JPN ver is Japanese dialogue with English subtitle, it used to be an unlockable option for the PS2 game.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
DHL package still not out for delivery - so, no AC7 and no HOTAS for me this weekend I guess. Gamestop hasn't sent me the code for the preorder bonus stuff either.

Videogame gods, why have you forsaken me?!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today's work feels like an eternity...
7B86ViZh.jpg

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Okay gone through 7 missions on normal. This is basically 4 and 5 had a bady, its great. The music is great. Excellent return to form.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I thought the whole game was playable in VR. A bit of a dissapointment that it's just a seperate mode.

I've never played one of these games, is it a bit like (early) War Thunder? I enjoyed that quite a bit.

Oct 28, 2017
was waiting for it to get cheaper , but i think i'll go for it now although im not in a rush , but dont want to miss $47 price from old balance discount lol

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone comment on the fan noise while playing on a PS4 Pro? Mine is incredibly loud while playing demanding games, to the point where I have almost exclusively switched to Xbox/PC. I ended up pre-ordering this on PS4 for AC5 and VR but probably can't play until tomorrow.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Can anyone comment on the fan noise while playing on a PS4 Pro? Mine is incredibly loud while playing demanding games, to the point where I have almost exclusively switched to Xbox/PC. I ended up pre-ordering this on PS4 for AC5 and VR but probably can't play until tomorrow.

It gets loud but you honestly dont notice it since you will be scrambling to get out of missile lock.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I actually think AC5 looks super impressive for a PS2 game. I'm a bit of a graphics snob who finds it hard to go back to old games, but I find AC5 very playable. Ground detail is kind of comical, but the ships and aircraft look fine. I'm enjoying it :)

JPN ver is Japanese dialogue with English subtitle, it used to be an unlockable option for the PS2 game.
Must be broken in the remaster then, or I'm doing something wrong. It just gives me full English, identical to the ENG version.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Wow. I can't imagine finishing the level in 8 minutes. You are amazing

Nah, it's actually a lot easier in VR because your head can spot and tag enemies while the jet is firing missiles at a different target. Here I brought a ground attacker A-10C for an anti-air mission. Honestly it doesn't really fly all the different than the Super Hornet other than its lower max speed, and no special AA missiles.

You'll notice that I sweep the side and rear quadrants of my jet quite often.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Only played the first mission but it seems fun. Some great shots for the cinematics but man I'm already a bit confused with all the country names so far.
Listening to the Beastcast and Dan seems to really like the game, Quicklook will be up later in the day.
He makes jet noises while playing the quicklook. Which is just the most Dan thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait really? I haven't gotten an email and when I contacted support they said it would be in the box. So now I have to see if it is. How stressful D:

I just spoke with a chat rep from Amazon and he mentioned it may come in box, but I told him "it doesnt come in the box, it comes from an email from the retailer or on a receipt" and he came back and said "I just checked and I agree with you! the code was not auto generated. I forwarded this to the promotions department and they will be contacting you within 24 hours."

Edit:

Just got an email back and they said that the promotion is only valid from Jan 10th at 11:30am PST to Feb 18th 11:59pm PST. I preordered the godamn game before that obviously. So stupid.

What a CROCK OF SHIT

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Seems like my retailer ran out of preorder codes, they said they would see if they could find some more. Really hope so otherwise I should just have stuck to the original plan and have waited till black friday :/

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, not sure how I feel.
Right now it might be my least favorite of 4, 5, 0 and Assault Horizon.
Don't know if I put it over or under 6 yet.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I just spoke with a chat rep from Amazon and he mentioned it may come in box, but I told him "it doesnt come in the box, it comes from an email from the retailer or on a receipt" and he came back and said "I just checked and I agree with you! the code was not auto generated. I forwarded this to the promotions department and they will be contacting you within 24 hours."

Edit:

Just got an email back and they said that the promotion is only valid from Jan 10th at 11:30am PST to Feb 18th 11:59pm PST. I preordered the godamn game before that obviously. So stupid.

What a CROCK OF SHIT
That's some straight up bullshit. You need to escalate it, and maybe get in touch with Bandai Namco as well.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Wait you have chaff and flares in this? Or is it something you unlock later?

I LOVE this game. Its pretty hard even on easy, and I set the voice language to Japanese which makes it really hard to follow the radio because flying and reading subtitles at the same time is hard. I might have to switch it back to English.

I got a preorder code but when I entered it last night it didn't work. Hopefully just because the game hadn't released.