• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I'm new to the series and aerial combat games in general, loving this so far (only done 2 story & 2 VR missions).
A question for the more experienced players: what's the best strategy against regular faster aerial enemies (for example migs and the drones in mission 2).
I have a hard time hitting them with the standard missiles. Im probably missing something about how to approach them.
Also, sometimes after firing a missile, a green ring appears around my aiming-rectangle, turns red and disappears. I don't think there has been an explanation in game - what does this ring tell me?
(I feel stupid)
#1 rule of thumb in dogfights: always approach enemies from above and behind, pick a target from away and approach it from above and 180 angle so you'll have a direct lock on. The game will actually tell you if you have a good angle by showing "fire" on screen, in that situation missiles will 100% hit your target. The green circle is the aim reticle of your main cannon (X/A button), it only appears when the target is in gun range.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Here's my review:

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/01/video-game-review-ace-combat-7-skies-unknown/

This was my first Ace Combat game and it took me by surprise in a number of areas. I don't think it's a particularly newbie-friendly game and some of the design decisions seem archaic/needlessly frustrating, BUT the core gameplay is a lot of fun once it clicks, and I really dug the VR mode even if it's a bit short.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I hit my first roadblock in the game with the mission where you have to get 20,000 points from destroying bases.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried out the VR demo and it's insane to me that there's only 3 VR missions. That is the way to play for sure. I can't imagine playing it without being able to look around naturally.

I'm contemplating on getting it, if it was completely playable in VR it would be an easy sell.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Oh yes. The base Xbox One version is...not good. You'll see later today.
Oh god, they should really fix that X Enhanced label then. Most of us assumed base PS4 and Xbox One are both 1080p with uncapped framerate and Pro and X just brute force that to 60FPS. Makes it even more odd that they chose 1080p on Xbox One X seeing as it is Enhanced, just to parity with Pro I suppose.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm new to the series and aerial combat games in general, loving this so far (only done 2 story & 2 VR missions).
A question for the more experienced players: what's the best strategy against regular faster aerial enemies (for example migs and the drones in mission 2).
I have a hard time hitting them with the standard missiles. Im probably missing something about how to approach them.
Also, sometimes after firing a missile, a green ring appears around my aiming-rectangle, turns red and disappears. I don't think there has been an explanation in game - what does this ring tell me?
(I feel stupid)

The green ring appears when you are in range of guns and turns red when there is a firing solution and you're pointing at the right place. Try to aim for where the enemy will be instead of directly at it, this is called deflection shots. I'm not sure how accurate AC models this but I've been able to get kills even on drones with guns.

For missiles going for a high PK(probability of kill) it's best to be in the rear quadrant of the target, though in AC i've learnt that certain planes have super missile dodge capabilities and infinite flares. Usually people tend to go into a turn and burn spiral but in AC this often isn't very effective as the basic missiles have the tracking ability of a blind hamster. So what you can do is zoom and boom, where you boost your speed for 10s, turn around and select a target presenting its ass to you and put a couple missiles up its tail pipe. Rinse and repeat.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
People with mixed emotions all over the internet, absolutely loving VR but also pissed off that it's so short lol

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, so I just got a HOTAS 4 ordered, picking it up after work.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Is there freeflight mode to use without VR?
Would love to fly around with my son without actual warfare.

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the first recent AAA game to not get any enhancements? And do we know why they chose to ignore it for Pro and X?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They really need to add the Xbox One X Enhanced label on Xbox. That being missing is going to turn away a lot of X users. Even if the Enhancements have parity with Pro it's better than nothing.
Exactly. The game is great on X. Loses a lot on base Xbox One, though, to the point where I'd caution against that specific version.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
One note and something I'll point out in the DF video - using sleep mode for a while with this game can introduce extra performance dips. I was able to trigger this on the Pro for sure. I had to redo some of my tests by making sure I restarted that game on all platforms. If you notice the frame-rate dropping weirdly that's the reason. I'm not sure if it's a game bug or an OS issue but this isn't the first time I've encountered it.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
DxK7NHuVYAAy44_.jpg:large

Finally home... my friend made this in like 5 mins since I was stuck in traffic and literally dying lol.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
#1 rule of thumb in dogfights: always approach enemies from above and behind, pick a target from away and approach it from above and 180 angle so you'll have a direct lock on. The game will actually tell you if you have a good angle by showing "fire" on screen, in that situation missiles will 100% hit your target. The green circle is the aim reticle of your main cannon (X/A button), it only appears when the target is in gun range.
The green ring appears when you are in range of guns and turns red when there is a firing solution and you're pointing at the right place. Try to aim for where the enemy will be instead of directly at it, this is called deflection shots. I'm not sure how accurate AC models this but I've been able to get kills even on drones with guns.

For missiles going for a high PK(probability of kill) it's best to be in the rear quadrant of the target, though in AC i've learnt that certain planes have super missile dodge capabilities and infinite flares. Usually people tend to go into a turn and burn spiral but in AC this often isn't very effective as the basic missiles have the tracking ability of a blind hamster. So what you can do is zoom and boom, where you boost your speed for 10s, turn around and select a target presenting its ass to you and put a couple missiles up its tail pipe. Rinse and repeat.

Thank you, seems like I need to get better at finding the right angle. Definitely in need of some more practice with the Hotas, too ;)

Got one more mission in before work. As a complete Newcomer to the series, I am enjoying this way more than I thought!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What a damn shame they just didn't bother to improve it more for X. Parity is BS.
I agree but this isn't the first time we've seen this happen with a Japanese release. :-/

My theory is that the PS4 release received extra optimization due to the VR mode and that worked extended to the normal mode as well.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished mission 3 and the game play is starting to click with me. First two missions were really messy and it took me forever to hit anything.

VR is amazing, will buy more content if it is provided. Didn't try for very long though cause I started to feel a bit funky.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I agree but this isn't the first time we've seen this happen with a Japanese release. :-/

My theory is that the PS4 release received extra optimization due to the VR mode and that worked extended to the normal mode as well.
Was it Dark Souls that was 1800p on both? Disappointing to be sure, especially as I'm so used to higher than 1080p games now. Game would have really popped with some TAA, HDR and 1300p or something.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So the game is 1080p with an unlocked framerate on PS4, Pro and X run it at 1080p 60. Base Xbox One is sub-1080p sub 60FPS so technically it is Enhanced it's just not labeled as such and has parity with PS4 Pro.
I don't think it's X-enhanced (there's no X Enhanced flag on the store), I think it's literally just a byproduct of X's default boost mode.

EDIT: That's with me assuming it uses a dynamic resolution though. Other option is that perhaps Microsoft doesn't allow the "X enhanced" flag for a game only outputting 1080p. I can't think of any other X-enhanced games that are 1080p (I realise there are quite a few on Pro like Nier, Soul Calibur etc).

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Just finished mission 3 and the game play is starting to click with me. First two missions were really messy and it took me forever to hit anything.

VR is amazing, will buy more content if it is provided. Didn't try for very long though cause I started to feel a bit funky.

When I read the review summaries, VR mode get's a lot of praise and I am confident that we will see VR DLC content in the future.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's X-enhanced (there's no X Enhanced flag on the store), I think it's literally just a byproduct of X's default boost mode.

EDIT: That's with me assuming it uses a dynamic resolution though.
You're incorrect here. The base system runs at a much much lower resolution.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You're incorrect here. The base system runs at a much much lower resolution.
.....it's not as low as 720p is it surely?

EDIT: That's with me assuming it uses a dynamic resolution though. Other option is that perhaps Microsoft doesn't allow the "X enhanced" flag for a game only outputting 1080p. I can't think of any other X-enhanced games that are 1080p (I realise there are quite a few on Pro like Nier, Soul Calibur etc).
Unravel 2 is listed as 4K and X Enhanced despite being a 1080p game. Microsoft doesn't really care how devs use the labels it's up to them.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A little tip.

You change targets with triangle. if you keep triangle pressed, you will lock your view to the target selected.

Tried battle royal. Looks fun, even if everybody stil not understanding how to be proficient in combat, me included of course.

In multiplayer, select external camera.

Game's good, I mean, if you are a plane freak like me, it's really really good. Beautiful planes, spectacular skyes, great music, radio chatter is extremely well done, immersive and informative. Not a sim, easy to pick up, but not that easy to perform well in it.

I would really like to have in game color choices for the hud. Sometimes it becomes unreadable.