• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Okay just realized why there is zero VR sickness for me - the comfort settings are fixed at max it seems. The tunnel is there, wish there is a way to get rid of it entirely. Ultrawings has a better sense of flying than this.

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It is unfortunately, but I still bought the game for that mode!
And I just finished the skill-up review and it looks insane. He even recommended buying this game just for psvr (on sale) to test it out.

Even if the mission(s) are short it's a flight game so I can play the same ones over and over.
The way I look at it is, paying a one time admission for unlimited turns on hopefully the most amazing ride you've ever had in your life.

That's how I hope it turns out for me, anyway. Guess we find out tonight.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The radio chatter is important for both story and mission objectives.

Use the briefings to help you choose both your plane and special weapons, eh if there are no ground targets go with a fighter and special air to air weapons. However sometimes missions don't go as planned...

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
How is the fan noise for people playing it on PS4 Pro? I have a launch Pro and playing RDR2 on it is almost impossible because of how much noise the console makes. It's on my desk next to my PC, too, so it's not in an enclosed area where it can't get any air.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Just finished AC Assault Horizon, started in today and finished it too with a friend lol, it's a better than what I expected, we got it when it got released but we didn't like it at the time.

Got it roday and started it the first mission just to check the visuals and the frame rate, smooth and gorgeous!

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, one thing, go straight to expert controls. Ignore the other option.

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Okay just realized why there is zero VR sickness for me - the comfort settings are fixed at max it seems. The tunnel is there, wish there is a way to get rid of it entirely. Ultrawings has a better sense of flying than this.
Not what I want to hear. I always turn comfort setting off and to hear that you can't disable them is insane, imo. Let's hope for a day one patch or soon.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see someone play with novice controls in like a gameplay demo, I wanna bang my head against a wall. The way I see it is if 7-year-old me can master the controls no problem, then you can too.
I honestly don't know why some people use novice controls, it legitimately makes the game harder to play.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This isn't really a problem when playing the normal missions but in VR I had to keep asking my brain to shut up about energy, angle of attack and checking my six, a testament to how immersive it can be.

Edit: The music in this game is straight fire. I need the OST.

Last edited:

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a HOTAS when it was on sale super cheap ($35) around Xmas in anticipation of this game. Crazy its back up to $80 now on Amazon. Looking forward to finally giving the HOTAS a try tonight w/ PSVR. I think i've played part of one Ace Combat game in my life, and i'm already $100 in for this one. WTF. That being said...

I can't wait.
I'm so pissed I missed out. I want it bad but don't want to spend $80.

I prob will though.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
I pre-ordered on Amazon today but haven't gotten an email yet with the code for AC5. Has anyone got it that pre-ordered from Amazon?

I haven't either and have had it pre-ordered since August. My game shipped, but I haven't got a code yet. I'm assuming I'll get the code a bit after midnight, or worst case before I wake up tomorrow. I've pre-ordered around 95% of my games off Amazon (US and JP) for at least the last 6 years and have never missed out on a pre-order bonus, so I'm not too worried yet. If I don't have a code and other people ARE getting them, then I would worry.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I pulled the trigger just now on a preorder on PSN so I could get Ace Combat 5, as well. Looking forward to getting back into the series, haven't played it in years and years.

What do I need to do to get Ace Combat 5 on PSN BTW? The directions aren't clear to me, and I don't see anything in the email receipt about it.

Edit: NM, already in download list!

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between the 80 bucks and the 60 bucks version?

I'm trying to wait for reviews but I don't want to lose the pre order bonus

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
It ain't as sweet as $35, but Best Buy has the same model on sale for $57
Nice... Except the closest Best Buy is an hour away. I think I may just have to pay full price if I don't order it and wait for it to come in.

Whoa. That's not good at all. Not what I wanted to hear... Hope it can be turned off soon. Ultrawings has an amazing sense of flying like you said. It was surreal lifting off the first time.

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't either and have had it pre-ordered since August. My game shipped, but I haven't got a code yet. I'm assuming I'll get the code a bit after midnight, or worst case before I wake up tomorrow. I've pre-ordered around 95% of my games off Amazon (US and JP) for at least the last 6 years and have never missed out on a pre-order bonus, so I'm not too worried yet. If I don't have a code and other people ARE getting them, then I would worry.

Awesome, thank you for letting me know!

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa. That's not good at all. Not what I wanted to hear... Hope it can be turned off soon. Ultrawings has an amazing sense of flying like you said. It was surreal lifting off the first time.

Yeah, I'm also a little concerned hearing about this. Kind of surprised to only be hearing about this now, since games like WipeOut and Ultrawings do have settings that people can tweak for more immersion. I usually play with all comfort settings removed, surprised to hear we don't have a choice this time. Does this mean that immersion is neutered and less convincing compared to WipeOut and Ultrawings, because everything is viewed through a tunnel, with no peripheral vision at all?

Oct 25, 2017
Man I cannot control this at all, my plane controls on battlefield are so different and I haven't played Ace Combat in years so this is seriously fucking with my head.

Time to get a HOTAS

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah, I'm also a little concerned hearing about this. Kind of surprised to only be hearing about this now, since games like WipeOut and Ultrawings do have settings that people can tweak for more immersion. I usually play with all comfort settings removed, surprised to hear we don't have a choice this time. Does this mean that immersion is neutered and less convincing compared to WipeOut and Ultrawings, because everything is viewed through a tunnel, with no peripheral vision at all?

I would say immersion does suffer but not totally destroyed as It's still much better than a flat screen. The tunnel is not as constrictive as some games at max comfort but it'll be obvious if you look for it.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I would say immersion does suffer but not totally destroyed as It's still much better than a flat screen. The tunnel is not as constrictive as some games at max comfort but it'll be obvious if you look for it.

Thanks. Just three more hours for me to go until this unlocks for my PS4 so I'll see for myself.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Played the first four missions. Loved what I saw of the story, and the small nods to previous games I've seen so far. But the music and gameplay... Just amazing.

Could not put it down. Shame I have to be at the office 6 hours from now. If it wasn't the case I wouldn't leave Strangereal. So happy Ace Combat is back.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Really wish I knew which version was better, given the lack of enhancements. I mean, if it really does run unlocked, the X version would theoretically be the better choice... err, I assume.

Whatever. Preordered it on there. Might buy it on PS4, too, just for AC5.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Anyone planning to play 5 first before 7? Lol. I'm really excited to play this after so long, but man, it's too bad that they decided to unlock both of these games at the same time, and now I'm having a hard time to choose which one to play first, lol.

I miss the Razgriz team so much.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Anyone planning to play 5 first before 7? Lol. I'm really excited to play this after so long, but man, it's too bad that they decided to unlock both of these games at the same time, and now I'm having a hard time to choose which one to play first, lol.

Having the same dilemma. Might just play 5 first since 7 has homages to it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

I am, but after the VR missions. Did play one AC7 mission just to see what it's like though.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017

Asking myself the same thing...which first?

For those of you who have played 5 is there any story advantages to playing it first?