• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Unfortunately not on sale on Steam (don't know about Xbox) but if you have a PS4 it's worth getting into. It kinda got lost with all the great games released at the same time but AC7 is a must-have in your collection.

First of all, it's a great game to begin with, you will never go wrong with this one. Yes the AC games are set in the same universe but all of them are self-contained so you will hardly lose anything starting with this one.

Second of all, they're not just games where you shoot planes. A big focus of the series is to have a gripping story and narrative all throughout. These stories are not in any way in the same spirit as Call of Duty or what have you. These are stories about freedom, about the horrors of war, about fighting for peace. They are super engaging stories that will get you through the end even if you don't care about fighter jets. That's the main strength of Ace Combat

You will also get to do some super cool stuff. They added 3D environmental clouds in AC7 so now you have to deal with your jet icing up, or even thunder hitting your plane. It gives a whole new dimension of level design as it helps the enemy as much as it helps you (lowered accuracy in clouds)

Not only that but the soundtrack of Ace Combat has to be one of the most underrated soundtrack to come out of a high-budget video game series. The work of Keiki Kobayashi and other composers are pretty much unmatched in the space they occupy. Absolutely banging, bombastic tracks that makes you feel like the hero of the world, and the story doesn't miss a beat to make you feel like you're the only one left to end the war. Their work makes actual hollywood movies with five times their budget blush in comparison.

And if you're not convinced, just check trailers of this game. They're extremely well done

Ace Combat 7 has been the grand return of the series. The first numbered game in 12 years. It had a rocky situation during all these years but they actually went and did it, they made the comeback everyone wanted.

6 years ago I thought Ace Combat was just a middle-of-the-road series with Call of Duty-like aesthetics and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation. What I can say is, try it, and you'll see that it's the furthest from that. It's a brilliant series of games that makes you want to never let go of your grip on the controller. It's that good.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Cutscene director is the director of the viral anime short ME!ME!ME! by the way, an extremeley talented 3D animator.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Ace Combat 7 is not the greatest game in the series, but it's damn close to the greatest game in the series, and even calls back to it multiple times.

And I mean it also calls back to Ace Combat 5, too. It's also better than 5.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Cutscene director is the director of the viral anime short ME!ME!ME! by the way, an extremeley talented 3D animator.

Yeah! He's the one who made the opening of Ace Combat 7 and it's a super entertaining and touching story right off the bat. I couldn't be convinced more of getting this game after seeing it and I recommend every one on the fence to take a look at it too

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Alternately, if you have a PSVR, get it to melt your face off. I haven't even bothered to play the flat campaign, as I have no desire to play a downgraded version after that fantastic experience. The three short VR missions are worth the price of admission alone if it's this discounted.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this only so I wouldn't miss out on the PS2 remaster, but I haven't started it up

I heard there's ton of issues with timed missions, which sounds like something I want no part in

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Is there still a way to wangle AC5 out of it? This is one of the few preorder bonuses I really wanted and now they don't seem to be selling it freely :(

Sep 14, 2019
Tempting. I'm kind of waiting till REmake 2, Ace Combat 7, and Yakuza 0 are all around $20-$25 to jump into more of the PS4 catalog.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this only so I wouldn't miss out on the PS2 remaster, but I haven't started it up

I heard there's ton of issues with timed missions, which sounds like something I want no part in
Timed missions are never a problem in Ace Combat. They give you more than enough time for everything.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sucks that that the ps2 remaster is unpurchasable now. sours me on giving them money tbh

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
For anyone interested;

From the Digital Foundry Thread (cuz I was looking for any ps4 pro enhancements)

AC: VII
- Game uses Unreal Engine 4
- All new models, textures created from scratch
- New additions like volumetric cloud cover adds not just visual eye candy, but used in game play as well.
- Weather can also impact flight performance
- Object density is increased but pop-in is visible at times.
- Game targets 60 FPS on all consoles

- Resolution: Base XBO is 720p (including HUD). Base PS4: 972p
- XBX - and PS4 both native 1080p
- Volumetric clouds appear slightly lower resolution on XBO than other platforms
- PC version supports 16 : 9 out of the box, no UW support built-in
- FXAA is the only AA option on PC version
- Most of the HUD elements on PC are rendered on 1080p despite raising native to 4K

- Huge disparity in performance on all 3 versions
- Sample mission tested: PS4 Pro and XBX are locked 60 FPS
- Base PS4 Hovers below 60 FPS showing slight juddering.
- XBO avg frame rate is lower than base PS4 by a large margin
- Sample mission 2: Pro holds is 60 FPS most of the time with mild judder
- Sample mission 2: XBX performs slower than Pro
- Base PS4 not tested but assumed should be similar to above results
- Base XBO worst performing version by a good margin.

- Using Sleep Mode can cause additional performance issues which can be fixed by restarting the system before playing.

- Verdict: PS4 Pro -> XBX -> Base PS4 -> Base XBO

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's not quite 50% off in the UK but it is on sale. Get on it!

ÂŁ29.99 instead of ÂŁ49.99 here. Near enough.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this.
Sucks there isn't HDR, of every game this entire generation, this game and it's clouds, shimmer if the the reflection of light around the cockpit.. wouldve melted our eyes with HDR.
This and Kingdom Hearts 3 both use Unreal Engine 4 and it's criminal that there isn't HDR support. Two missed opportunities since both games would have greatly benefited especially after playing Gears 5.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Namco should announce PSVR DLC and I would buy it but for only three VR missions, I will wait until it's very cheap....

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Dangit lol. I just picked up a complete boxed set of AC VI for the 360 lol. Throttle/flight stick/boxed game for $40.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This and Kingdom Hearts 3 both use Unreal Engine 4 and it's criminal that there isn't HDR support. Two missed opportunities since both games would have greatly benefited especially after playing Gears 5.
So weird..
Days Gone is an UE4 game that does have HDR.
But Soul Calibur 6 and Tekken 7, also Namco Bandai UE4 titles don't have HDR either.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is my GOTY so far, love it and can't wait for the DLC missions.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Get it folks. Ace Combat 7 is one of the best games this year. Also the 3 dlc missions are releasing over the next few months for even more fun.