• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

CnGAlyN.png

Platform(s): PS4
Release Date: January 18th, 2019
Genre: Flight action
Price: N/A
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital Only
Developer: Project Aces
Publisher: Namco Bandai

FAQ

Is the game a PS2 Classic or an actual port?
It was originally assumed to be a PS2 Classic (would have had the game running around ~900p with the original PS2 assets) but the file size is significantly higher with this release (17.6GB) unlike other PS2 Classic releases. Looking at gameplay from the JPN release (included below) the game still features the original copyright dates and some 4:3 menus so perhaps this is something similar to the PSP to PS4 ports where higher fidelity materials were inserted into the emulated original game.

The game apparently boots into a PS4 control page unlike other PS2 classics which feature the original PS2 logo at startup.

OHKsyuS.png
You can also see improved UI in this release vs Ace Combat 5 running via the PS2 classics emulator (homebrew)

PS2 classics emulator on PS4 (grey squares are an emulation issue).
boTkuGl.png

Official PS4 release.
34zYSuf.png

Is the game a port or HD remaster?
As a part of the PS2 Classics program Ace Combat 5 would normally run at a higher resolution (~900p) than the PS2 original but all assets will be the same as that release. Looking at the huge increase in file size though the game may have new assets be it uncompressed FMV or high res textures.

The original version of AC5 released in my region ran at 50hz. Will this release do the same?
Apparently it runs at 60 regardless of region (at least in PAL).

Trophy support?
Yes.

Widescreen support?
Yes.

Resolution?
Apparently 1080p

PS4 Pro support?
The game supports native 4k.

Can I buy this without preordering Ace Combat 7?
Apparently not.

Is the code included in the physical box of Ace Combat 7 or does it come from the retailer itself?
This is the details given about the bonus (EBGames Canada)

Online Customers: Code will be emailed within 3 business days after your order ships.
Store Customers:Code will be printed on your receipt at time of pickup.

Does the game come with the digital version of Ace Combat 7?
Yes. It is included in Ace Combat 7 preorders digitally up until February 18th.

Does the game work with the HOTAS on PS4 (Thrustmaster/Hori sticks)?
Confirmed not to work with the thrustmaster stick. The Hori stick is compatible with the game though.

Media

PS4 Gameplay of this port

Original Trailer

Reviews
Metacritic (PS2) - 84

IGN 9.3
If you're looking for the best console flight action game in town (save for perhaps Crimson Skies on Xbox), you'll not need to look past Ace Combat 5. Fans of the series, owners of Shattered Skies, and newcomers alike will all take great pleasure from this one.

Gamespot 8.3
It's been several years since the last Ace Combat game, and this latest installment doesn't do much to change an already-winning formula--but not much was needed to keep this series feeling fresh and exciting, especially since there just aren't many other flight combat games on the market. Those looking for a complex flight simulation on consoles need not apply to Ace Combat 5, which is much more interested in delivering the thrills and drama of Top Gun-style cinematic depictions of modern dogfighting--something that the game achieves very capably.

Links
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Listing - PSN

Last edited:

AleeN634

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, more than just a PS2 classic release. Glad Namco went the extra mile on this one.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, only available from BB for pick-up. Didn't know they came with the older games as preorder bonuses.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
so perhaps this is something similar to the PSP to PS4 ports where higher fidelity materials were inserted into the emulated original gam
or maybe this – https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ation-5-backwards-compatibility-rumours-again

Sony patent sparks PlayStation 5 backwards compatibility rumours again
"Remastering by emulation."

"The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation."

"Each asset such as a texture called for by legacy software such as a legacy computer game software has a unique identifier associated with it," the patent explains. "The unique identifier can be rendered by imposing a hash on the asset, and then the asset stored with its identifier in a data structure. An artist remasters the textures for presentation on a higher resolution display than envisioned in the original software, and stores them back in the data structure with their identifiers.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Amazon doesn't botch my AC5 code like they did the last time I preordered something from them.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can they do this with all PS2 games please!

Looks great! Looking forward to 4 and Zero :P

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, even if there were no improvements it is an amzing game that I can't wait to play!

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super confused. it's a HD port of the PS2 game on PS4, but only available through AC7 pre orders ? I can't find a pre order in my country with this promo

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super confused. it's a HD port of the PS2 game on PS4, but only available through AC7 pre orders ? I can't find a pre order in my country with this promo

So far it's only been listed as a preorder bonus. The game wasn't mentioned in the weekly drop of PS4 releases either.

So if there's no code in the PAL box, is it on disc?

You'd get it from the retailer either via email or instore.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

Is the game a PS2 Classic or an actual port?
It was originally assumed to be a PS2 Classic (would have had the game running around ~900p with the original PS2 assets) but the file size is significantly higher with this release (17.6GB) unlike other PS2 Classic releases. Looking at gameplay from the JPN release (included below) the game still features the original copyright dates and some 4:3 menus so perhaps this is something similar to the PSP to PS4 ports where higher fidelity materials were inserted into the emulated original game.

Ah, this is interesting. I'd assume they updated the (Sadly barely used) emulator to support higher res textures. I really hope someone can look into the files to confirm.

Also, the PSP to PS4 emulated ports actually go back to the PS3, with games like K-On! Hōkago Live!! and the Trails in the Sky trilogy getting that treatment. Complete with replaced Higher res textures.

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't listed on the store page here? This seems like a pretty weird situation.

Oh, wait the game was called Squadron Leader in PAL regions.

Last edited:

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Considering Namco Bandai's history of pre-order bonus games such as Super Robot Wars (Vita) , The 2nd Super Robot Wars (3DS), Dragon Ball Z Super Butouden (Switch) , and Super Butouden 2 (3DS), I think there's a very slim chance of this being released separately. HOWEVER, last month Super Gachapon World: SD Gundam X (Switch) was released as a standalone. So there could be a change in this trend.

Also I'm totally going to do a playthrough of this before AC7.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Checking the online listing for EBGames (Canada) this is the plan for the AC5 codes:

Online Customers: Code will be emailed within 3 business days after your order ships.
Store Customers:Code will be printed on your receipt at time of pickup.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Question from someone who never played the series: what elevates this one above the rest and/or makes a GOAT for some? Is it like the Burnout 3 of the series (aka the best, pitch-perfect iteration)?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question from someone who never played the series: what elevates this one above the rest and/or makes a GOAT for some? Is it like the Burnout 3 of the series (aka the best, pitch-perfect iteration)?

Great campaign and music. Classic gameplay.

Can someone just confirm if this will get a stand-alone release already

I would like to know this before the XBox pre-order opportunity expires regarding Ace 6.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
It built on the classic gameplay of the saga (which 4 nailed) while constantly playing with mission structure and objectives to keep things fresh.

The story was interesting, emotional and focused on your squad mates, and the soundtrack was out of this world. It was also a long game that did not overstay it's welcome. It's just a joy to play / listen / remember.

Oct 25, 2017
It built on the classic gameplay of the saga (which 4 nailed) while constantly playing with mission structure and objectives to keep things fresh.

The story was interesting, emotional and focused on your squad mates, and the soundtrack was out of this world. It was also a long game that did not overstay it's welcome. It's just a joy to play / listen / remember.
Pretty much this,
Story felt like it continued to turn and heavily build all the way to the end.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit sad, but I'm a bit more excited to replay this than AC7.

Air Combat was the first PlayStation game I owned and I've been playing them ever since. This was my favourite of the Ace Combat PS2 trilogy, and probably my favourite of the series.

I'll have to play AC7 first though, obviously because it's the main one I'm buying, but otherwise this is going to grab me and I'll be stuck playing for weeks.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to know this before the XBox pre-order opportunity expires regarding Ace 6.
It seems like that will be using the Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. So hopefully, you'll be able to order a copy off ebay even it's not available separately on the Xbox store.

I am interested to see if AC6 will get this same treatment. Maybe X support and higher quality pre rendered videos like FFXIII.