• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm jealous of anyone playing this for the first time. It's a wild ride. There were times when the games are finicky with what they want from you, and there were some dumb cases (mostly in the 2nd game), but I totally fell in love with the characters and the intense courtroom battles, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up at the end. Can't wait to read some impressions from new players.

Brixx

Jan 26, 2018
It's 2 AM here on the East Coast, and still hasn't unlocked. My guess is it will unlock an hour from now since Nintendo seems to operate on Pacific Standard Time. At least I hope.

Nov 8, 2017
I've never played this franchise or paid much attention to it (for some reason I always thought it was a Nintendo-exclusive franchise). Will it still hold up today as a PS4 game? I'm definitely interested.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played this franchise or paid much attention to it (for some reason I always thought it was a Nintendo-exclusive franchise). Will it still hold up today as a PS4 game? I'm definitely interested.
Yes, but keep clear that they're visual novels. They don't really age that much, because they're novels.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It was nintendo exclusive until, I think, 2010 when the series was ported to mobile. This is the first time it's going to other consoles though.

Personally, I think it holds up as a PS4 game. The art is gorgeous and the controls are fine.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I think it's a series that can appeal to anyone willing to give it a chance.

I kinda want to advise newcomers to do the same introduction I did and do the first case of the third game before starting the first game proper...

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
The assets have long since been ripped. I'm not sure if 100% of them have, but rips of characters, backgrounds, effects, evidence and such have been around a long time.
Oh, I know the old sprites and whatnot are out there. I'm just hoping that the in-game assets are easy enough to access and mod in hopes of replacing them with the old stuff.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
It's not as animated as later games, but the strength of the series has been in its characters, story, and music. Here's a gif of the DS game.

Ptrc1Nq.gif

Here's how it sounds.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I kinda want to advise newcomers to do the same introduction I did and do the first case of the third game before starting the first game proper...
What benefit does this bring?

Kind of OT, but has Capcom said anything about 4-6 for the Switch? Is the collection still planned?
I already have all the games on 3DS, but seeing the art in a proper resolution sounds tempting (although the 3D effect on 5+6 is very nice).

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I really liked Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Has the trilogy the same help system? In the cross over you can spend coins to get small hints.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What benefit does this bring?
It's one of the best written cases in the series with one of the best evidence twists, established the main theme of the series of believing in someone when all facts tell you otherwise, shut down my cynical assumptions about a "lawyer sim" right out the gate, teaches all the gameplay mechanics for the court room sessions faster and more effectively than other intro cases, shows off the subtle visual humor of the series, and has some of the most effective breakdowns in the series. Not the animations themselves, but just how completely and utterly destroyed they get.

Case 3-1 is the most effective and efficient display of "Ace Attorney in a nutshell" in my eyes.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Still no unlock on the West Coast. I've never played one of these games and I'm so excited to start. My girlfriend has the original DS game, so I played the tutorial trial and I'm hooked.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It's one of the best written cases in the series with one of the best evidence twists, established the main theme of the series of believing in someone when all facts tell you otherwise, shut down my cynical assumptions about a "lawyer sim" right out the gate, teaches all the gameplay mechanics for the court room sessions faster and more effectively than other intro cases, shows off the subtle visual humor of the series, and has some of the most effective breakdowns in the series. Not the animations themselves, but just how completely and utterly destroyed they get.

Case 3-1 is the most effective and efficient display of "Ace Attorney in a nutshell" in my eyes.
Thanks, will keep that in mind when I replay the trilogy.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Has the trilogy the same help system? In the cross over you can spend coins to get small hints.
Hints aren't generally a thing in Ace Attorney. You get a statement from your co-council if you scroll through the testimony where they try and point you towards what the game wants you to do but it's generally not helpful.

In 5 and 6, I believe, they added it in that if you're struggling the co-council can point out the problematic statement to help speed things along.

Oct 28, 2017
Apologies if this has been asked before but is the English translation which is included in the Japanese release the same as the one in the US/ UK release?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm tempted to get this almost just to continue the trend of making my Switch a portable video game archive of previous gen All-stars and gems.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Are the text boxes really not see through or is there an option people are missing?

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Do these ports include the original art or the crappy updated ones over the past 15 or so years.

Punpun

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Is the trilogy finished story wise, or does it continue in other games?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Is this series any good? Does it hold up ? What are the trophies like?
Yes. Yes. Easy but there are some that require a guide / knowledge of what they want you to do (since a lot are like "press this statement" or "present this evidence at this moment").

The story in this trilogy is done. The next trilogy of main games deal with a different story / theme.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holly moly Capcom haven't done a good job of selling this game to newcomers if these basic ass questions on launch day are anything to go by eh.

Yes these games are fantastic people. And they do tell a complete story regardless of the future games expanding it.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Do these ports include the original art or the crappy updated ones over the past 15 or so years.

The "crappy updated" ones all look different when you compare mobile port, 3DS port and the newest version.
Mobile port is the worst one, but I had no issue playing the trilogy on the 3DS, so it should be even better in this version.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I did an analysis of the switch version here, comparing it to DS / iOS:

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Nice comparison video! FWIW, the text box translucency level can be adjusted. It's under "Text Box" field in the Options menu.

BTW, the Steam version also supports touch input for those with a touch capable laptop. Small but a nifty feature for the PC folks :)

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Nice comparison video! FWIW, the text box translucency level can be adjusted. It's under "Text Box" field in the Options menu.

BTW, the Steam version also supports touch input for those with a touch capable laptop. Small but a nifty feature for the PC folks :)
That's actually great, with a Surface this should be awesome to play.

Nov 8, 2017
Yes, but keep clear that they're visual novels. They don't really age that much, because they're novels.
It was nintendo exclusive until, I think, 2010 when the series was ported to mobile. This is the first time it's going to other consoles though.

Personally, I think it holds up as a PS4 game. The art is gorgeous and the controls are fine.
Absolutely. I think it's a series that can appeal to anyone willing to give it a chance.

It's not as animated as later games, but the strength of the series has been in its characters, story, and music. Here's a gif of the DS game.
Thanks for the replies! I've been looking for some good VN's since recently finishing the Zero Escape trilogy, so these should be perfect!

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I don't like, unless I completely missed it, is that these ports don't have the chapter select options the mobile ports had. Like choosing 2-2 trial rather than having to restart the whole game.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
These games are awesome and I envy the newcomers, I wish I could experience them anew.
I already own them on 3ds so i'll skip this release but I can't wait for the next game.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there fast dialogue skip in this? I'm not sure I can replay the trilogy unless I can speed through the dialogue

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Is this series any good? Does it hold up ? What are the trophies like?
Yes and yes.

Yes, it concludes the story of the trilogy satisfyingly. Game 4 (Apollo Justice) onward are about different things with ifferent major characters.

It depends on how quick you are at piecing things together in court and investigations. Maybe 15-20 hours per game?
Yep, 15-20 hours, with the second game closer to 15 and the other two closer to 20.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I don't like, unless I completely missed it, is that these ports don't have the chapter select options the mobile ports had. Like choosing 2-2 trial rather than having to restart the whole game.

Not even in the NDS games you have to restart the whole game and can just select the different cases.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I wished they added an option to freely select chapters.
I'd love to replay 1-5 or 2-4, but the thought of having to play though all the filler cases again fills me with dread :/

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I did an analysis of the switch version here, comparing it to DS / iOS:

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

I see it finally has a text skip option, does it mean clicking B skips to the end of the current text box or is it some weird ass implementation? Just happened to see the settings screen, can't listen to the video right now unfortunately.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I see it finally has a text skip option, does it mean clicking B skips to the end of the current text box or is it some weird ass implementation? Just happened to see the settings screen, can't listen to the video right now unfortunately.
You can have it so it jumps to the end of the text box or holding it down progresses through everyone's dialogue almost instantly.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
You can have it so it jumps to the end of the text box or holding it down progresses through everyone's dialogue almost instantly.

Very nice, the dreadfully slow text with no option to skip to the end of the text box has always been annoying to me and one of the bigger reasons why I haven't replayed these games. Looks like I'm buying the Switch version soon.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
Still refuse to pay for any game at release price digitally when they charge the exact same in dollars and pounds - $30.00 does not = £30.00