• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
That sucks, I wasn't keen on 3 but 4 was my jam.

The saddest thing is that 3+4 remasters dying meant that it prevented the true end goal of a THUG remaster.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man that sucks... 1 and 2 are amazing but 3 and 4 are my favorite one of the franchise and the ones I wanted the most. Awful news, and I hope it's eventually going to come back on track

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to go against the grain and say that I'm fine with this if it means the devs are happier working on Diablo 4.

The core work is done for THPS, I think any team Blizzard has can pick it up and continue where VV left off.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
God fucking damn it I would have LOVED a 3+4 remake, 1+2 remake was really well done and felt close enough to the older games. 3 is my favorite THPS as well.

Fuck Activision

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
"Activision didn't trust any other developer to work on THPS"

....so why did they allow VV to get absorbed by Blizzard?

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
There's more than 0 but faaaaaaaaaar less than 100 percent chance that with Microsoft at the helm some of the smaller projects like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games might see a resurgence.

Microsoft is clearly interested in smaller titles more than Activision was.

Hell, to me the very EXISTENCE and release of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 Remake is VERY surprising.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
There's more than 0 but faaaaaaaaaar less than 100 percent chance that with Microsoft at the helm some of the smaller projects like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games might see a resurgence.

Microsoft is clearly interested in smaller titles more than Activision was.

Hell, to me the very EXISTENCE and release of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 Remake is VERY surprising.
Activision was really trying something for a second there with Crash remakes, Spyro remakes, Crash 4, THPS 1+2, Sekiro...it was nice while it lasted.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
THPS 1+2 Remake really scratched the itch for that simple but addictive arcade skateboarding experience. Brought me right back to my teenage years. Doing 3+4 the same way (despite those games not aging as badly) seemed so obvious.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Did Crash 4 sell well? That's the only one that might be borderline unprofitable.
www.resetera.com

Activision credits Crash Bandicoot 4 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 with offsetting a decline in revenue for 2020 within their year end review

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand this means that both games made Activision a hefty amount of dough, which makes it all the more baffling and frustrating to see them meld Vicarious Visions into Blizzard and put Toys for Bob on indefinite Warzone/CoD support.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame, also anyone who tried to make people compliment Activision for publishing Sekiro without the dlc bullshit bonanza. Anything good happening there is IN SPITE OF Activision interfering with everything, someone at Fromsoft simply said no to that noise. Anyone surviving Activision with some sort dignity should be complimented, not the fucking company you morons.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
gross

blizzard sucks and their generic fantasy shit is lame

tbf, THPS was also pretty generic until Underground. it was meant to ape and cash in on the extreme sports genre, which already had a few skateboard games, snowboarding and a bunch of other stuff. the pop punk, skater boy stuff was a huge thing in the late 90s, with Blink 182 and such bringing tons of people into it.

the genre had already existed for a bit before hand, and pretty much completely died after a few years of THPS.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Such a stupid fucking company run by immoral, shit bags. Also this sucks to hear, the remaster was actually perfect and I would have loved more.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume working on Blizzard properties were a higher priority for them. I'm frankly shocked Activision even took pitches from other studios
Beenox supported VV on 1+2. I'm kinda surprised they couldn't tackle 3+4. The core skating gameplay was already perfect and didn't need to be changed. It was just a matter of recreating the 3+4 levels and goals.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Beenox supported VV on 1+2. I'm kinda surprised they couldn't tackle 3+4. The core skating gameplay was already perfect and didn't need to be changed. It was just a matter of recreating the 3+4 levels and goals.

i feel like we'll either get a new THPS built on the skeleton of the new engine, or more remasters, eventually. the biggest problem for a long time was the core skating got worse and worse.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I got genuinely upset reading this last night. 1+2 is up there with the best remakes of all time. It was a reminder how excellent the series was and can still be. It should've been a no-brainer to, at the very least, do 3+4 to at least complete the Pro Skater line.

Fuck, man. This really sucks. There's nothing like TH out there and we could've had ot return in an actual positive light.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
After this thread I hope Diablo 4 and OW2 have some of the most egregious mtx seen in a console/PC game. Give the people something they really have to try to defend Blizzard, it seems Immortal didn't go far enough.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
After this thread I hope Diablo 4 and OW2 have some of the most egregious mtx seen in a console/PC game. Give the people something they really have to try to defend Blizzard, it seems Immortal didn't go far enough.

schadenfreude is unbecoming

though i don't get it, honestly. are people not supposed to be OK with VV moving onto Diablo? they already put out D2:R, which was super well beloved. how does people being happy for the change harm or offend others? it offends you so bad that you want others to suffer because people dare like a thing? you want millions of unrelated people to get a bad experience just to show people not to ever dare be happy about a thing?

Last edited:

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
tbf, I think blizzard sucks but immortal is basically standard mobile mtx shit and unless blizzard goes even more insane (seeing as the drama surrounding the studio is crazy) they wouldn't do that shit for their regular games

would be funny as hell if they did though. again, this isn't me being biased because I like SNK but am still laughing at them launching KOF NFTs

just seeing companies/studios shit the bed in completely avoidable ways is always funny

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
also i think people forget that the Activision harassment lawsuit started with Activision and they had all kinds of issues, including the suicide of Kerri Moynihan, because of harassment during Call of Duty WWII. Activision is just as insidious as Blizzard, them staying at Activision would not be a "grass is greener" kind of thing.

which isn't a both sides or like whataboutism kinda thing, it's just that staying at Activision they would still be in the same place with terrible work culture. that's also why i was excited for them to move to Blizzard, and be one of hopefully many steps to fix the culture there, and for Activision to fix its own issues, and make use of all the talent it has.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
schadenfreude is unbecoming

though i don't get it, honestly. are people not supposed to be OK with VV moving onto Diablo? they already put out D2:R, which was super well beloved. how does people being happy for the change harm or offend others? it offends you so bad that you want others to suffer because people dare like a thing? you want millions of unrelated people to get a bad experience just to show people not to ever dare be happy about a thing?
You should tell that to the people celebrating the demise of a series with "at least D4 will release sooner".

The Immortal defence force is another reason why I hope they turn the mtx dials to 11. Those fans deserve everything that's coming. This thread just solidified my opinion.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the project will be revived at some point. Maybe Tony Hawk himself could directly do something about it. Whether it involves Blizzard or someone else, I don't know.

If 3+4 indeed happened, I wonder if they make 2 different career mode style or just make both series in one career mode style since THPS4 has a totally different, new career mode than 3, with freedom of choosing the goals.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Activision was really trying something for a second there with Crash remakes, Spyro remakes, Crash 4, THPS 1+2, Sekiro...it was nice while it lasted.

I'd assume Activision didn't want to stop. But the implosion over at Blizzard and with the COD teams falling behind. They made it an all hands on deck situation.

Oct 26, 2017
tbf, THPS was also pretty generic until Underground. it was meant to ape and cash in on the extreme sports genre, which already had a few skateboard games, snowboarding and a bunch of other stuff. the pop punk, skater boy stuff was a huge thing in the late 90s, with Blink 182 and such bringing tons of people into it.

the genre had already existed for a bit before hand, and pretty much completely died after a few years of THPS.
I'd disagree on thps being generic. I mean, it wasn't the first skateboarding game ever and it sure wasn't the first extreme sports game either... it might have been "in tune with the times" but gameplay-wise it was quite revolutionary (especially if you'd played stuff like Street Sk8r before). The gameplay was so strong that it was basically the reason for Activision's "O2" brand even existing and was blueprint for many many games featuring the same control scheme (Matt Hoffman's, Shaun Palmer's, that other pro surfer dude... something Slater).

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'd disagree on thps being generic. I mean, it wasn't the first skateboarding game ever and it sure wasn't the first extreme sports game either... it might have been "in tune with the times" but gameplay-wise it was quite revolutionary (especially if you'd played stuff like Street Sk8r before). The gameplay was so strong that it was basically the reason for Activision's "O2" brand even existing and was blueprint for many many games featuring the same control scheme (Matt Hoffman's, Shaun Palmer's, that other pro surfer dude... something Slater).

it was mostly about aesthetic. i don't care too much whether something is or isn't, it was just in response to Diablo being "generic fantasy" which shrug.

but in general my ideal for devs in general is being able to work on the things they want, so it's not like them working on Diablo is some perfect endgame to me. plus i know first hand how this kind of thing goes all the time! i've been waiting a decade for Dragons Dogma 2, and it took about a decade between proper Animal Crossing games.