• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It's OK, time has passed. The people who said that are more reasonable.

Now they're saying it's MUA3 that looks like a mobile game.
Less MVCI and more just in general. "It looks like a mobile game" is just the lowest of trash tier graphics complaints. That and, frankly, there are a number of mobile games that look pretty decent, now. Where are we supposed to be on the scale now?

it went 64 graphics to PS2 graphics to mobile graphics... what is next?

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
X-men are nice and all, but once the important ones are in, the series need to add the last group of important Marvel characters still missing: Spidey villains.
Octopus was canned in 3, Green Goblin was probably scheduled in Infinite, Mysterio and Lizard can be visually really good... Put them all in.
Don't forget the Vulture! No longer a bald headed dude. I want full Keaton!

Oct 25, 2017
Less MVCI and more just in general. "It looks like a mobile game" is just the lowest of trash tier graphics complaints. That and, frankly, there are a number of mobile games that look pretty decent, now. Where are we supposed to be on the scale now?

it went 64 graphics to PS2 graphics to mobile graphics... what is next?
marvel-games.jpg

mvciroster.png

It's really not hard to make that comparison.

Obviously mvci doesn't literally look like a mobile game in action, but the awful character art/models, sterile artstyle, placeholder looking ui, hud and menus, god awful story cutscenes, etc etc give it a very cheap and low budget presentation. More in line from what you'd expect from a mobile game rather than a PS4 game. It looks like a cheap cash-in rather than a mainline fighting game. Though considering its called MVCI rather than MVC4, maybe that's exactly what it ended up being lol.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
marvel-games.jpg

mvciroster.png

It's really not hard to make that comparison.

Obviously mvci doesn't literally look like a mobile game in action, but the awful character art/models, sterile artstyle, placeholder looking ui, hud and menus, god awful story cutscenes, etc etc give it a very cheap and low budget presentation. More in line from what you'd expect from a mobile game rather than a PS4 game. It looks like a cheap cash-in rather than a mainline fighting game. Though considering its called MVCI rather than MVC4, maybe that's exactly what it ended up being lol.
Maybe compare screenshots that are meaningful if you're trying to make a comparison? Though even with just what you're showing, the level of detail in Hulk's model and texturing is still apparent on these otherwise tiny screenshots. you can also, ya know, just say it looks cheap (like you just did) rather than comparing it to something that looks and is significantly worse, tech-wise.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Damn, no matter the screenshot. MVCI was an ugly game. Could've saved itself if it had more style at least.

Sort of reminds me of DR4. Where the game was made to cast the widest net possible. Thus capturing nothing.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when Spidey's level 3 for MVCI was revealed, and it was him being chased by Goblin and dodging pumpkin bombs...they were definitely going to put him in :(
Yeah i swear, i was damn sure Green Goblin was a lock for the game! Dock Ock, Green Goblin, Silver Surfer, all were considered for a .vs game at least at one point.

Its a shame really, my god :(. Not even Miles Morales who was pretty much a choice for UMVC3 make it into MVCI

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Bring back Dormammu's original VA from UMVC3 or let this game stay dead in the ditch.
I think its due to them using newer VA's for the characters from certain animated series or other media. And it sucks because characters like Dormammu, Ghost Rider, Thanos especially sound awful in recent animated series (which then Capcom had to use in Infinite) instead of the awesome ones used in MvC3.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Off-topic, but: that's such a weird screen select mod. Why change only the icons on the bottom characters? And replace Widow with a Random select?

Pretty sure that's a fan edit of the final roster screen made before whenever they revealed Jedah (August 2017 iirc). We knew the full base roster and the "first" season of DLC pretty early on via leaks.

The "?" isn't random, it's there because it was unknown at the time. Notice it's blue, suggesting it's a Capcom character - Black Widow lopsiding the roster caught everyone off-guard.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The game had potential, but:

- WTF at this mobile game presentation
- where is the intro?
- almost same roster as mvc3, really?
- why does umvc3 looks better and moves better than this?
- the final character select screens looks like it was done by a 4th grader, who did not learn how to count.
- about the endings of arcade mode...... yeah, where are those?

Even my 5 years old son told me that umvc3 is better, looks better, plays better.

Marvel vs capcom 4 should launch with 50 characters, 3v3, intro, arcade endings, and should include mvc1 and mvc2 as a bonus.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- almost same roster as mvc3, really?
Not even. MvC3 before DLC : 38 characters. Infinite after DLC : 36 characters.
I remember when the leaks started rolling in and we had hints at Jedah, most people were expecting a roster in the low 40s, balancing their hype and the bad visuals, hoping it would get better for release... and then one of the leakers (was it Ryce?) said "oh no I saw the final roster it's lower than anyone ever thought". I think the reputation of the game was already over at that point.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I remember when the leaks started rolling in and we had hints at Jedah, most people were expecting a roster in the low 40s, balancing their hype and the bad visuals, hoping it would get better for release... and then one of the leakers (was it Ryce?) said "oh no I saw the final roster it's lower than anyone ever thought". I think the reputation of the game was already over at that point.

The pre release hate was extreme. Combofiend calling X-Men characters "functions" pissed a lot of people off, shoryuken input rumors (which ended up being true for everyone but Ryu) made people laugh, Evo snubbing the game completely, awful visuals, content lacking, Capcom employee laughing about it being a dead game at the major tournament finale when people were expecting another DLC announcement, etc... Underneath all that shit it is still IMO a fun game but I get why people are so disappointed. So many balls were dropped it isn't even funny. I remember the game's tournaments not being allowed to be streamed on Capcom Fighters and instead was relegated to another channel. MvCi didn't stand a chance.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

when talk started that roster saviors like Sigma, Mon Hun, and Black Panther were DLC. It all went down hill, I still remember how bummed the thread got lol

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
It's a known fact he had access to dev builds of MvCI, he was a tester I guess and he still has them as we can see. It's been mentioned in this thread that tournament folks were really annoyed because he basically had months in advance with the game, including DLC (iirc Venom pics leaked from his build) which gave him a big advantage.

I honestly don't know how he's even allowed to show this stuff unless it's a sanctioned viral marketing scheme. No way Marvel or Capcom nda is this lax.

Yea didn't this dude out himself with his own curtains or some shit? He had zero buisness competing early on if he was actually apart of the dev process.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's a known fact he had access to dev builds of MvCI, he was a tester I guess and he still has them as we can see. It's been mentioned in this thread that tournament folks were really annoyed because he basically had months in advance with the game, including DLC (iirc Venom pics leaked from his build) which gave him a big advantage.

I honestly don't know how he's even allowed to show this stuff unless it's a sanctioned viral marketing scheme. No way Marvel or Capcom nda is this lax.
That's an interesting point. Did he even get in trouble for the venom thing? All of this seems rather curious to throw out with no legal ramifications

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
That's an interesting point. Did he even get in trouble for the venom thing? All of this seems rather curious to throw out with no legal ramifications
By that time, the full roster leaked like within the same week. I would assume he just stopped getting the latest builds. I'd be shocked if he were invited to test the next game but apparently he still does consultation with Capcom for SF5(?)

I'm curious as to whether those balance changes to UMVC3 he constantly talked about for a while were real. He even gave specifics about the patch with specific characters (Zero and characters he plays)

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
By that time, the full roster leaked like within the same week. I would assume he just stopped getting the latest builds. I'd be shocked if he were invited to test the next game but apparently he still does consultation with Capcom for SF5(?)

I'm curious as to whether those balance changes to UMVC3 he constantly talked about for a while were real. He even gave specifics about the patch with specific characters (Zero and characters he plays)
Hmmm, starting to wonder if there might be a bit more here. Seems pretty light weight for what they could've done. But I won't go to far down this rabbit hole lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe compare screenshots that are meaningful if you're trying to make a comparison? Though even with just what you're showing, the level of detail in Hulk's model and texturing is still apparent on these otherwise tiny screenshots. you can also, ya know, just say it looks cheap (like you just did) rather than comparing it to something that looks and is significantly worse, tech-wise.
I don't know why you're talking technical stuff when I'm clearly talking about art direction and presentation.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017

they were, yipes confirmed them in one of his fundraiser streams for evo 2017 community choice

personally heard a ton about it as well through On The Floor Hearsay (so big grain of salt) but enough people talk about havin hands on it

doc ock was basically done lol, not just his music

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
they were, yipes confirmed them in one of his fundraiser streams for evo 2017 community choice

personally heard a ton about it as well through On The Floor Hearsay (so big grain of salt) but enough people talk about havin hands on it

doc ock was basically done lol, not just his music

Just to think... I could have been playing as Doc. Mother fuck.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
The marketing was awful, they were explaining the switch from 3v3 to 2vs2 to make it more "accessable" to beginners, but also deep enough for veterans, blah blah.

Then the presentation looked like poop, Roster was garbage. I like the MCU in the movies, not my games. Where the hell was Wesker and Vergil?

Meh, thank god DBFZ came along, it took the place of UMvC3 for me, even if it's different enough.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
The marketing was awful, they were explaining the switch from 3v3 to 2vs2 to make it more "accessable" to beginners, but also deep enough for veterans, blah blah.

Then the presentation looked like poop, Roster was garbage. I like the MCU in the movies, not my games. Where the hell was Wesker and Vergil?

Meh, thank god DBFZ came along, it took the place of UMvC3 for me, even if it's different enough.
I don't think the switch to 2v2 was to make it more accessible. I thought that was the changed control inputs.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There were numerous reasons why they wanted or decided to go with 2v2.

*They wanted to differentiate from MVC3/MVC2 and essentially reboot the series with the tag team play that started in MVC1.

*They wanted less decision making at select screen which means players can get into matches quicker. 6 decisions in MVC3 (character plus assist type) vs 3 in MVCI.

*Definitely wanted to do it for accessibility reasons. It's easier to learn pairs than trios, its just straight numbers.

*They wanted to avoid the "assist" character syndrome which plagues all these tag team games even DBFZ. They claimed that having a stone as your 3rd "character" creates for more interesting styles.

The game being 2v2 was not really the major deciding factor over the game failing... it was the numerous other issues. That said some of their reasoning for going 2v2 I just can't stand by.

They were real as they were confirmed by other players as well like Yipes and Viscant.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if they did a re-release of UMVC3 with updated balance changes (obv available free for existing owners too).

I almost wouldn't even care if they did an MvC4 at that point.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am SO thirsty for a new MvC after playing 3 to death.

I've resisted Infinite this whole time, it is currently on PSN sale...do I bite? Might as well get that deluxe edition right? Or is it still just really not worth it?

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I'm mad that the one game in the series that finally included X and Sigma was the one that flopped.

Hopefully they make a return (with Zero of course, but he is always guaranteed at this point lol) in whatever they do next.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Still so bummed about this game. My boy X finally gets his turn in a fighting game and it's one kneecapped by a problematic development and marketing cycle and, as such, one very few people like or even played. :(

But I will always love it for its story mode, at least. Not that it was good from a gameplay perspective (it wasn't), but it totally established X as being among the most powerful in the entire cast if not the most powerful, given he's shown to be the only one strong enough to handle using all six Infinity Stones at once and being pretty much fine afterward, to boot.

Not even Iron Man could do that; only Thanos could pull it off!

The scene at the end where he unleashes the Infinity Buster had all my fanboy neurons firing off like crazy. The first time I saw it I was bouncing up and down in my seat, haha.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
And Magneto was a playable assist in MvC1, so you're still wrong either way.

we can argue about semantics but saying magneto as 'playable' in MvCI is pushing it when the player doesn't control him like at all and he only does one move.

By this definition, Birdie is also 'playable' in X-men Vs SF. And Saibaman is 'playable' in DBFZ.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Still so bummed about this game. My boy X finally gets his turn in a fighting game and it's one kneecapped by a problematic development and marketing cycle and, as such, one very few people like or even played. :(

But I will always love it for its story mode, at least. Not that it was good from a gameplay perspective (it wasn't), but it totally established X as being among the most powerful in the entire cast if not the most powerful, given he's shown to be the only one strong enough to handle using all six Infinity Stones at once (and being pretty much fine afterward, to boot).

Not even Iron Man or Thanos could do that!

The scene at the end where he unleashes the Infinity Buster had all my fanboy neurons firing off like crazy. The first time I saw it I was bouncing up and down in my seat, haha.
Thanos was mostly fine after the first snap, though that's mostly due to him being a titan eternal. It was destroying the stones that really fucked up his arm. Tony on the other hand....

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Thanos was mostly fine after the first snap, though that's mostly due to him being a titan eternal. It was destroying the stones that really fucked up his arm. Tony on the other hand....

Ah, was that it? I thought it was the snap that was said to take so much out of him and shorten his lifespan, but it very well may have been destroying the stones that did it and that would make sense.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ah, was that it? I thought it was the snap that was said to take so much out of him and shorten his lifespan, but it very well may have been destroying the stones that did it and that would make sense.
Beyond some scarring & a fucked-up gauntlet, Thanos was still good to go after that first snap. He even used the space stone to teleport out of Wakanda without any issues. I guess his eternal DNA came in handy there.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

But I will always love it for its story mode, at least. Not that it was good from a gameplay perspective (it wasn't), but it totally established X as being among the most powerful in the entire cast if not the most powerful, given he's shown to be the only one strong enough to handle using all six Infinity Stones at once (and being pretty much fine afterward, to boot).

Not even Iron Man or Thanos could do that!

I was actually curious about how you felt about the story mode. Since the megaman fan-service was about the only thing I could see really pleasing people when I played through it. It was by far the IP from either side with the most amount of "care" going into it. I jokingly stand by calling the MVC:I story mode "Megaman & Friends" lol.

Shame the other parts of the Story Mode couldn't illicit those same kind of feelings for the other franchises present.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I was actually curious about how you felt about the story mode. Since the megaman fan-service was about the only thing I could see really pleasing people when I played through it. It was by far the IP from either side with the most amount of "care" going into it. I jokingly stand by calling the MVC:I story mode "Megaman & Friends" lol.

Shame the other parts of the Story Mode couldn't illicit those same kind of feelings for the other franchises present.

Oh, yeah, I loved it for the insane amount of X fan service and Mega Man X content in general. After years and years of X fans getting screwed over while every other iteration of Mega Man other than Star Force MM as well as both versions of Zero got their turn(s) in a fighting game, it was just pure catharsis, haha. But yeah, it did come at the expense of other characters and franchises (meh, they'll live :P) and it was just dull gameplay-wise.