• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that you'll permanently handicap the game by accounting for last-gen. As a major example, you wouldn't be able to capitalize on the improved load times for online play provided by the SSDs in the new systems, or truly take advantage of the superior CPUs.

Huh? If you're playing PS5 against PS5 players it would most assuredly take advantage of the faster loading, like that's a given and has been a thing. If you match with PS4 then yeah you wait a little longer, nbd, you could probably choose your player pool anyway. This happens with SFV on PC.

I think you need to look at high-end PC gaming in general, and the enhancements offered by X and Pro, and then remember we're also dealing with fighting games. Power is not a valid concern, an incredible looking MvC4 is very possible on today's hardware and can certainly take advantage of next-gen capabilities at the same time.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
X-men are nice and all, but once the important ones are in, the series need to add the last group of important Marvel characters still missing: Spidey villains.
Octopus was canned in 3, Green Goblin was probably scheduled in Infinite, Mysterio and Lizard can be visually really good... Put them all in.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
damn, that's ten times the amount of fans that dino crisis has
giphy.gif

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Filipino Champ, the game's competitive life probably wasn't helped by the fact that they let him compete in tournaments despite essentially being a developer who was playing the game for months before anyone else did.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that you'll permanently handicap the game by accounting for last-gen. As a major example, you wouldn't be able to capitalize on the improved load times for online play provided by the SSDs in the new systems, or truly take advantage of the superior CPUs.

Yeah, I want next gen only for mostly the loading times not being affected by last gen, but also for the power.

X-men are nice and all, but once the important ones are in, the series need to add the last group of important Marvel characters still missing: Spidey villains.
Octopus was canned in 3, Green Goblin was probably scheduled in Infinite, Mysterio and Lizard can be visually really good... Put them all in.

Yup. The lack of Spidey villains has always been an issue. I want them to go all out next one. Goblin, Ock and Mysterio at the very least. That would be my team if it was 3v3.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have loved more Spidey baddies - GG, Ock, Myserio, Sand Man... any of them would have made interesting bosses. Then again I also wanted a ton of Mega Man robot masters included for the same reason (Elec Man, Cut Man, Fire Man, Air Man, Metal Man, Akari's badass invincible Skull Man, Pharaoh Man...). If I had my way the next Vs game would probably end up Spider-Man Vs Mega Man...

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
while the idea sounds nice it sounds like like capcom was just gonna sell like 30 characters as DLC which wouldnt be good

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've been saying this since 3! Spidey easily has the best rogues gallery next to the FF and X-men. Regarding the rumors...I want to believe but have been hurt too many times by this game lol! I even talked with some of the marketers at Marvel Games on Glendale about this when I worked at Disney and they were all big fans of the work they did but couldn't really say what was up. My take was the game was a victim of the pre-Fox merger politics and the fact that the game wasn't a blockbuster hit or nearly as profitable as Contest of Champions killed it before they could fix things.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Punisher is already included in the Arcade1Up cab that has X-Men and MSH.

The bundle should actually be:

X-Men: COTA
MSH
X-Men vs SF
MSH vs SF
MvC1
MvC2
The Punisher
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
MSH: War of the Gems
Alien vs Predator (because sure why not?)
Minus AVP, I could see Capcom and Digital Eclipse doing this collection on consoles/PC.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

I imagine either seperate the two groups of people or make a clean break to avoid any potential hardware limiters from last gen rearing their ugly head. Id imagine the latter is the more likely scenario.

Oct 27, 2017

MSH
X-Men vs SF
MSH vs SF
MvC1
MvC2
The Punisher
Fuck.

That would make my day. Especially AvP. (Doesn't Disney now own Aliens and Predator?)

Deleted member 24624

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, if they do announce 4 at EVO and being cross gen, it's so gonna be a RE Engine game and it's so gonna be coming out late 2020/early 2021 unless the code from MVC3-MVCI still works after 2 game engines.

I don't think the studio that works on the fighting games uses RE engine. They've been using MT Framework and Unreal 4. Only Dev 1 has worked with RE thus far.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. The Japanese headers in the video read "movie" (with 61 files), "database character" (with 18 files), "database story," and "artwork." There's absolutely nothing suggesting 61 DLC characters and 18 stages being planned, unless I'm missing some context.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. The Japanese headers in the video read "movie" (with 61 files), "database character" (with 18 files), "database story," and "artwork." There's absolutely nothing suggesting 61 DLC characters and 18 stages being planned, unless I'm missing some context.
FChamp being FChamp, just trying to drum up interest as his bread and butter money maker Marvel has fallen to the way side. Is there any other source to verify this? What even is a MvCI Devkit? Do they mean datamining in the game?

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Munnie hunnie was the most fun character I've played in a fighting game in a while. She needs to be a Capcom mainstay. :'(

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hated the game so im glad it died. would rather they try again with the umvc3 formula.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FChamp being FChamp, just trying to drum up interest as his bread and butter money maker Marvel has fallen to the way side. Is there any other source to verify this? What even is a MvCI Devkit? Do they mean datamining in the game?

It's a known fact he had access to dev builds of MvCI, he was a tester I guess and he still has them as we can see. It's been mentioned in this thread that tournament folks were really annoyed because he basically had months in advance with the game, including DLC (iirc Venom pics leaked from his build) which gave him a big advantage.

I honestly don't know how he's even allowed to show this stuff unless it's a sanctioned viral marketing scheme. No way Marvel or Capcom nda is this lax.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019

Can confirm that back in November 2017, I heard about a dev build with 61 total character slots.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
i Mean who cares what was planned? Imho they probably did better doing less work because nobody liked the visuals. I mean maybe more people would have bought it if Wolverine was in it I guess

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

MSH
X-Men vs SF
MSH vs SF
MvC1
MvC2
The Punisher

Still fucking baffled that Alien vs Predator got on that weird Capcom double joystick thing

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
That's not how the character selection process works

Sakurai would have little control
Huh? What does advising have anything to do with character selection process? Also Sakurai doesn't need little or any control lol, All im asking is CapcomDisney needs to look at the abomination they did with MvCI and you compare it their past versus series then look at what Sakurai did with Smash WiiU/3DS to Utimate if they plan to take the MvCI rebranding route for MvC4. Bring back the 3v3 or a new 4v4 mechanic, bring back all characters from MvC3(Most importantly X-Men) and add it on top of MvCI characters, Keep the infinity stone but bring back character assist or maybe a type of character assist mechanic that uses the infinity stone that you selected for that character, and new art direction Arc System Works maybe?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Huh? What does advising have anything to do with character selection process? Also Sakurai doesn't need little or any control lol, All im asking is CapcomDisney needs to look at the abomination they did with MvCI and you compare it their past versus series then look at what Sakurai did with Smash WiiU/3DS to Utimate if they plan to take the MvCI rebranding route for MvC4. Bring back the 3v3 or a new 4v4 mechanic, bring back all characters from MvC3(Most importantly X-Men) and add it on top of MvCI characters, Keep the infinity stone but bring back character assist or maybe a type of character assist mechanic that uses the infinity stone that you selected for that character, and new art direction Arc System Works maybe?
I'm not sure if they'd bring back every character from UMvC3. Sentinel, X-23, & Shuma-Gorath would probably be the ones on the chopping block on the Marvel side, though I could see Capcom fighting for Sentinel. Shuma on the other hand was only allowed in MvC3 under the condition that he was DLC, so I can't really see him returning unless Marvel Studios has plans for Shuma. Likewise, outside of Laura being Wolverine for a while in Tom Taylor's stellar Wolverine run & playing a pivotal role in Logan, I'm not sure if Marvel (Entertainment or Studios) has any big plans for her (though she is in the latest wave of X-Men books, so that's something I suppose). Of course, if Capcom gets the right to choose both sides of the roster like how Team Ninja got to choose MUA3's roster, then I could see every (U)MvC3 & MvCI character returning. As for the Capcom side, I could see X being axed in favor of Classic Mega Man (Rock) if they want to spread the Mega Man love across each of the sub-series (though going by Teppen, I could see them continuing to double down on MMX). There are also characters like Spencer & Firebrand that I could see getting axed.

This obviously operates under the assumption that Marvel & Capcom choose to work together again for MvC4. If nothing else, their current relationship is at least decent considering that we got the MSH/CotA/Punisher arcade cabinet.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a known fact he had access to dev builds of MvCI, he was a tester I guess and he still has them as we can see. It's been mentioned in this thread that tournament folks were really annoyed because he basically had months in advance with the game, including DLC (iirc Venom pics leaked from his build) which gave him a big advantage.

I honestly don't know how he's even allowed to show this stuff unless it's a sanctioned viral marketing scheme. No way Marvel or Capcom nda is this lax.

I would assume that since Combofiend has been at Marvel since 2017 I could see FChamp feeling like there's very little that anyone at Capcom is going to do about it in 2019.

It's not a viral marketing scheme. This is what it looks like when someone burns their bridges. This is a great way to not be trusted with anything like this in the future with Capcom or any other organisation.

He would've been better off leaking this to somewhere like The Cutting Room Floor since they could probably be trusted with respecting his anonymity.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldve been a hundred characters, with that god awful production and art style it wouldn't matter

OP
OP
Doctrine Dark

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Champ also got fined for stuff he was saying on Twitter. It wasn't anything pertaining to MVCI according to him. He kept on saying stuff about MVC4, like how he planned on maining Magneto there among other things.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
1. MvC game is hyped or released
2. Community goes nuts for it
3. Community realises there are huge issues with the game that will now never be fixed, because of licensing issues
4. Community forgets all about this problem, starts wishing for a new MvC game or update
5. Nothing was learned, go back to 1.

Short of trying to kill Capcom by asking for a Dino Crisis game, continuing the MvC cycle is the meanest thing people keep doing to the company.

That isn't the MvC cycle. The gaps between games have been too wide for a cycle like you describe to even happen.

The MvC cycle is this:
  1. Capcom announces a thing
  2. Everyone gets hype af over an MvC announcement (fake rumors optional)
  3. Thing happens, MvC isn't announced
  4. Everyone freaks out at Capcom for not delivering despite them never saying they would
  5. In 3 weeks everyone moves on and goes back to hyping themselves for MvC
Hell, it's mainly been exacerbated lately because Infinite was a dumpster fire and SFV hasn't had enough juice to keep people distracted long enough.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me day 1 having £25 season pass (with a smaller roster than 3 at launch) and a £25 costume bundle too just killed it.

At that point I don't even care how it plays, asking £100 day 1 for all content is super greedy.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
MVCI being the game that debuted Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Sigma, Ultron, and Monster Hunter (highly requested characters for UMVC3) hurts my soul even more :(. Back in the day, i remember a lot of people asking for those characters, and even some people at the Capcom forums being very sure that Black Panther and CM where a lock. If a new game ever happens, they can't be out of the roster (plus Jedah and X, which were HUGE additions to the .vs series for me)

This obviously operates under the assumption that Marvel & Capcom choose to work together again for MvC4. If nothing else, their current relationship is at least decent considering that we got the MSH/CotA/Punisher arcade cabinet.
IIRC, Seth Killian and Niitsuma pushed really hard for "characters that embrace the .vs series legacy", when asked about Shuma Gorath, and the classic Magneto-Storm-Wolverine trio. I believe thats the reason for the likes of Black Heart, Juggernaut, among others (engine couldn't handled them), and that C.Viper laser beam move was a homage to Cyclop's optic blast

Theres a very interesting interview with people who worked at the original .vs games, where they explain some decisiones for characters pick back in the day. Apparently Marvel was way more permissive, and, if i remember correctly, Juggernaut was picked because of his catch phrase; "Nothing can stop the juggernaut". I'm gonna try to find the user who translate the interview vía Twitter. It was pretty fun reading if you like the .vs series

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Lmfao

Marvel isn't gonna do that lmfaoooooo

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
MVCI being the game that debuted Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Sigma, Ultron, and Monster Hunter (highly requested characters for UMVC3) hurts my soul even more :(. Back in the day, i remember a lot of people asking for those characters, and even some people at the Capcom forums being very sure that Black Panther and CM where a lock. If a new game ever happens, they can't be out of the roster (plus Jedah and X, which were HUGE additions to the .vs series for me)
I was on GameFAQs for MvC3's prerelease hype, and I remember tons of people hyping characters that would go on to be in MvCI.

"They're totally gonna put in Thanos because he'll be the big bad in the movies. Same with Ultron. Marvel's gonna want to hype up Black Panther and Captain Marvel for when they eventually get movies. Monster Hunter is super popular in Japan so why wouldn't they put them in?" Stuff like that.

It's such a shame how this all turned out.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

IIRC, Seth Killian and Niitsuma pushed really hard for "characters that embrace the .vs series legacy", when asked about Shuma Gorath, and the classic Magneto-Storm-Wolverine trio. I believe thats the reason for the likes of Black Heart, Juggernaut, among others (engine couldn't handled them), and that C.Viper laser beam move was a homage to Cyclop's optic blast

Theres a very interesting interview with people who worked at the original .vs games, where they explain some decisions for characters pick back in the day. Apparently Marvel was way more permissive, and, if i remember correctly, Juggernaut was picked because of his catch phrase; "Nothing can stop the juggernaut". I'm gonna try to find the user who translate the interview vía Twitter. It was pretty fun reading if you like the .vs series
I think you mean Magneto/Storm/Sentinel. And yeah, I figured that Marvel gave Capcom way more freedom back in the day.

OP
OP
Doctrine Dark

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017

Theres a very interesting interview with people who worked at the original .vs games, where they explain some decisiones for characters pick back in the day. Apparently Marvel was way more permissive, and, if i remember correctly, Juggernaut was picked because of his catch phrase; "Nothing can stop the juggernaut". I'm gonna try to find the user who translate the interview vía Twitter. It was pretty fun reading if you like the .vs series

I remember Niitsuma saying Juggs was denied by Marvel.

I know Human Torch had issues in the system along with Doc Ock. Seems like there was an issue with Frank West at first, but they were able to salvage him. Human Torch was replaced with Super Skrull. Ock just got cut altogether. Always wish we could've known what his issues were. Niitsuma said he had official artwork and an actual theme. I'm annoyed that he was never fixed.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I was on GameFAQs for MvC3's prerelease hype, and I remember tons of people hyping characters that would go on to be in MvCI.

"They're totally gonna put in Thanos because he'll be the big bad in the movies. Same with Ultron. Marvel's gonna want to hype up Black Panther and Captain Marvel for when they eventually get movies. Monster Hunter is super popular in Japan so why wouldn't they put them in?" Stuff like that.

It's such a shame how this all turned out.
Yeah. I believe that's what Capcom did with UMVC3 too. Doctor Strange, Hawkeye, and the rest had heavy emphasis in the cover art and promotional material. The problem really was how they handled everything else.

I'm one of those people who, strongly believe that MVCI could have be fixed with an updated release, still. But its a shame it didn't happen. Let's hope MVC4 happens before the 10 years ratio MVC2 put on us...

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm beginning to wonder if comments like this will ever not trigger me. What mobile games looked like that at the time? Visually disappointing? Sure, but come on with this hyperbole of hyperbole...
It's OK, time has passed. The people who said that are more reasonable.

Now they're saying it's MUA3 that looks like a mobile game.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now that Disney and Fox are together, Marvel and Capcom should totally rerelease this with some X-Men on the base roster.

Also, remember when the dev team behind this laughed at the idea of a Switch port?

Last edited:

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I loved MCU vs Capcom Infinite, despite its terrible Marvel roster, but I sincerely hope it gets another chance one day. 61 characters sounds awesome, especially in a 2v2 game. The team selections would be pretty wide. Cmonnnn EVO, gimme some good news.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Now that Disney and Fox are together, Marvel and Capcom should totally rerelease this with some X-Men on the base roster.

Also, remember when the dev team behind this laughed at the idea of a Switch port?
At this point, they'd be better off making a new game if Marvel & Capcom are to try again.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I remember when Spidey's level 3 for MVCI was revealed, and it was him being chased by Goblin and dodging pumpkin bombs...they were definitely going to put him in :(