• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Ono saying "I don't have SF6" still makes me think we're in for a new game announcement at EVO. As odd as "cross-gen" might be, it's worth considering that there's still a large base that won't instantly jump to the next platform, cross-play can incorporate different gens of consoles, plus you have the BC aspect that both consoles are said to have.
The only thing that would make me consider a new marvel .vs capcom being a cross-gen titles is the fact that the series has never been a graphical top-notch fighting game. Hell, you could even use the same engine as UMVC3, if that means more characters, and i would be happy

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
mvc3-2.jpg

Such a great logo too.
Ono saying "I don't have SF6" still makes me think we're in for a new game announcement at EVO. As odd as "cross-gen" might be, it's worth considering that there's still a large base that won't instantly jump to the next platform, cross-play can incorporate different gens of consoles, plus you have the BC aspect that both consoles are said to have.

It would be a stretch to me for a company to go cross-gen since that will likely be the norm going forward. When Fortnite goes next-gen for example you'll still be playing that title with every version of console, PC, and Mobile until the numbers themselves are absolutely not there anymore. But even if they aren't, if you're using a Capcom ID or PSN/XBL ID having your saves be the same across them solves that as well.

So you can almost argue that being a cross-gen fighter might be more worthwhile than being "Next-gen" only. As long as the graphical style is there to back it up which it can be if it has style to spare.

100% my feelings on the matter. Next-gen only MvC4 sounds like a mistake unless it's 3-4 years out, but if they're repurposing MvCI and UMvC3 assets (which they absolutely should) cross-gen makes a ton of sense.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
To me the only reason that MVCI failed was due to no X-Men. X-Men was there since day frigging 1 and to have no X-Men in a Verse Game is a crime, Not counting Tatsunoko ^_^

No X-Men No Buy, it's as simple as that ^_^

Last edited:

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ZeroCDR I appreciate your avatar. Capcom needs to reunite my boys.

Thanks! That's what I'm going for :)

To me the only reason that MVCI failed was due to no X-Men. X-Men was there since day frigging 1 and to have no X-Men in a Verse Game is a crime, Not counting Tatsunoko ^_^.

I strongly agree that had they stayed the course, especially the X-Men DLC, the game would have done fine. Heck it already outsold UMvC3 with this shitty abandoned roster.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue the only thing it does better than mvc is the UI and not having CA
Watercolor and Ink effects look nice and the kill moves are great. Great impact on the moves and the mad damage creates fantastic tension. Not really certain why folks are trying to be edgey about samsho all of a sudden and put it down. It's a fine game. Folks are enjoying it. Let em.
If you got your own jam that's cool, but no need to go headhunting competing games in the genre imo.
One of the strongest era's ever for fighting games and folks spend too much time spouting negativity hurting titles and communities imo. Celebrate the stuff your games do well more and stop focusing on what others do if they're not your scene. Talking up your own positives draws more players than giving shout outs to what you hate so much.

Last edited:

Doflamingo

Nov 8, 2017
To me the only reason that MVCI failed was due to no X-Men. X-Men was there since day frigging 1 and to have no X-Men in a Verse Game is a crime, Not counting Tatsunoko ^_^

I think it was a combination of that and the absolutely atrocious art direction.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this like a million times but I still can't get over the fact that Capcom made my favorite video game character and my favorite Marvel characters BFFs.

Ryu will NEVER love Captain Marvel(is that his rival in Infinite?) and Wolverine the way he loves Cyclops.

Hell yes *high-five*!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I bet that MvC will make a comeback eventually, it just might take a while.

We just have to hope that Infinite's failure pushes Disney/Marvel to let Capcom have all the time they need to make it good.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
How you make a new Marvel Vs Capcom: A Success Story

#1 Reveal teaser trailer with Ryu and Wolverine shaking hands, or possibly Cyclops for XMvSF nostalgia.

#2 Announce with the teaser trailer, a re-release of MVC2, with GGPO online and an even more polished title than the 2008 re-release for all platforms.

#3 Include at least 50 characters from MVCI/UMVC3, the all-stars if you will, and also launch with 10 characters new to MVC, or first time 3D modeled characters for the series, ala Cable/Psylocke.

#4 Make it 3v3 with active tag, remove infinity stones BUT...give players the option of using classic assists as well, design a trade off between the two. Make the game have the best of both worlds gameplay wise, while adding even more crazy shit your team can do.

#5 Make it a celebration of videogames like Smash Ultimate. Classic stages, costumes, music, DLC or otherwise from all the Vs. series back to Xmen COTA. People will eat that shit up.

#6 Finally, make it visually like MVC3 without the caked in black shadows. Go over the top on the comic book artstyle, make lighting look really flashy and action packed, without dipping too far into the manga designed ArcSystem Works look.

#7 Make all the money.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
well there is a least a little bit of empathy/solidarity with MvCI and KOF fans as their entries were lambasted with extra ferocity for their graphics despite their gameplay being really good.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
How you make a new Marvel Vs Capcom: A Success Story

#1 Reveal teaser trailer with Ryu and Wolverine shaking hands, or possibly Cyclops for XMvSF nostalgia.

#2 Announce with the teaser trailer, a re-release of MVC2, with GGPO online and an even more polished title than the 2008 re-release for all platforms.

#3 Include at least 50 characters from MVCI/UMVC3, the all-stars if you will, and also launch with 10 characters new to MVC, or first time 3D modeled characters for the series, ala Cable/Psylocke.

#4 Make it 3v3 with active tag, remove infinity stones BUT...give players the option of using classic assists as well, design a trade off between the two. Make the game have the best of both worlds gameplay wise, while adding even more crazy shit your team can do.

#5 Make it a celebration of videogames like Smash Ultimate. Classic stages, costumes, music, DLC or otherwise from all the Vs. series back to Xmen COTA. People will eat that shit up.

#6 Finally, make it visually like MVC3 without the caked in black shadows. Go over the top on the comic book artstyle, make lighting look really flashy and action packed, without dipping too far into the manga designed ArcSystem Works look.

#7 Make all the money.

There's only one thing i'd fix for this.
Make the re-release a Versus Collection of some kind instead, something akin to Street Fighter Collection.
More work, but with the right titles it'd be rad as hell being able to play MVC1, 2, and other VS. Marvel titles with GGPO.

That way Capcom is getting even MORE money

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
This game felt like they wanted to ignore years marvel comics history and make it all about MCU. Game felt like a giant movies promo. Really unfortunate because it actually played really well.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
The roster of 3 was so much better than infinite it wasn't even funny. However, I actually enjoyed playing MvCI way more than 3. I think being overly concerned with balance can make a game boring, such as I like MK11 but I can't deny that a lot of characters best moves are locked out of variations and ranked. With that said I think I'm the only person that got tired of seeing ToD combos and Dr. Doom stomps all day long. If they could strike a balance (hehe) between 3 and Infinite mechanically I would be thrilled.

Deleted member 2152

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some folks are just 3v3+assists fans. MvCI could have been executed perfectly and they probably still wouldn't like it.
But it wasn't so the hate is justified. Dealing in imaginary hypotheticals like that is a pointless excercise. I just hope Infinite's failures don't kill the franchise because the previous games are beautiful celebrations of these characters and good gameplay.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
The roster of 3 was so much better than infinite it wasn't even funny. However, I actually enjoyed playing MvCI way more than 3. I think being overly concerned with balance can make a game boring, such as I like MK11 but I can't deny that a lot of characters best moves are locked out of variations and ranked. With that said I think I'm the only person that got tired of seeing ToD combos and Dr. Doom stomps all day long. If they could strike a balance (hehe) between 3 and Infinite mechanically I would be thrilled.

As I said previously, the Marvel side for MVC:l was solid (aside from the absence of the X-Men and F4 heroes/villains). Most of the fan favourites were in there.

It's the Capcom side of the roster that I felt they REALLY dropped the ball on.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
As I said previously, the Marvel side for MVC:l was solid (aside from the absence of the X-Men and F4 heroes/villains). Most of the fan favourites were in there.

It's the Capcom side of the roster that I felt they REALLY dropped the ball on.

Yeah there were definitely some characters I was very happy to see in that game. Jedah was a big deal for me personally. I think my issue with that roster on both sides was just more about the size than anything. But like you said, Capcom did fuck their side up moreso than Marvel. I loved seeing Winter Soldier and Gamora for the first time, Venom and Thanos coming back was great. It was really who wasn't in the game that upset me. Asura, Gene, Regina... Man what could have been.:(

Edit: oh and how could I forget... Fucking JIN baby. I would pay $20 for Jin dlc alone lol.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yeah there were definitely some characters I was very happy to see in that game. Jedah was a big deal for me personally. I think my issue with that roster on both sides was just more about the size than anything. But like you said, Capcom did fuck their side up moreso than Marvel. I loved seeing Winter Soldier and Gamora for the first time, Venom and Thanos coming back was great. It was really who wasn't in the game that upset me. Asura, Gene, Regina... Man what could have been.:(

Edit: oh and how could I forget... Fucking JIN baby. I would pay $20 for Jin dlc alone lol.

Tessa (Red Earth), Edward Falcon/Rouge (Power Stone), Akira Kazama (Rival Schools0), and Gene (God Hand) were my most wanted for the Capcom side. Hell, it bummed me that they REMOVED characters from UMVC3's roster for Infinite, as I was crushed about Viewtiful Joe and Amaterasu absence.

Vision is the only Marvel hero that I can see they can createa cool moveset with (that doesn't simply evolve hand-to-hand combat, such as Daredevil or Luke Cage).