• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who would you be least angry about buying WB Games?

• Microsoft

Votes: 1,992 67.0%
  • Activision

Votes: 149 5.0%
  • EA

Votes: 137 4.6%
  • Take-two

Votes: 693 23.3%

• Total voters

rustyra24

Jul 6, 2018
This thread cracks me up. The main selling point for Playstation is good exclusives. Everyone is getting super salty because Microsoft might be trying to gain more exclusives. I bet they would still publish Mortal Kombat on other platforms like they do Minecraft.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
For those going "Why vote Microsoft?!" it's because they're not Activision/EA/Take-Two, who have a bad track record for this type of situation. If Ubisoft, Bethesda or another big 3rd party were in the running, you'd get a lot fewer votes for Microsoft, but given the choices, the platform holder/possible exclusives are the better outcome then microtransactions/death of the studio.

People who are never Microsoft sound like "I'd rather my Mortal Kombat/Batman game be ruined or dead than be exclusive to Xbox".

No, fuck Bethesda. They'd try to use this to bolster their shitty PC store, they'd try to infest the games with a ton of Microtransactions, they'd cheap out on Q&A, etc. etc.

Seriously, 2K and Bethesda do not get enough shit for how greedy they are. EA used to be the king of that, but they have been massively massively better in the last few years. I feel like people are look at EA through the lense of how they were a number of years ago. Which is fair, but like, 2K and Bethesda are bad NOW.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And they wont own dc ips and are just negotiating on them. They'll own the studio but not the ips
Doesn't wb own dc as well? so a purchase for wb would include dc I believe? but Microsoft owning WB is a bad thing. Microsoft making an exclusive comic game isn't a bad thing.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact, before JK Rowling sold the rights of Harry Potter to Warner Bros, Nintendo was one of the companies that made an offer, in hopes to have exclusive rights to what they thought could be a potential gaming franchise.. flashforward however many years and history repeats itself, now with Microsoft as the potential bidder, except they'd be getting a hell of a lot more than just the Harry Potter IP.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see Monolith make a Shadowrun game with the nemesis system.

tenor.gif

Yoooo

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
the polls are disgusting and you should all be Ashamed. Some of you would rather get these games on game pass instead of sharing the games across all three platforms so we can all enjoy them?! Are you serious?!

Third party publishers should remain third party god dammit!

First... Calm down

2nd. There's a very HIGH chance some of these will remain multiplats. MS would just want these games for GP Day 1 on Xbox/PC.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This whole discussion is just dumb goalpost-moving.
Pretty much. We have no idea what the conditions of this sale are, and yet people are debating the morality of it.

Would it be fucked up of Microsoft bought these studios, laid off half of their staff, prevented finished games from releasing on PlayStation, and stabbed Ed Boon in the heart with a hunting knife? Yes. But we don't know if any of that is even possible under the terms of the deal.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the deal is about the licenses, just the gamedev unit (WB Montreal, Rocksteady, etc...)
I think the deal HAS to include the licenses, otherwise what would EA, Take Two and Acti-Blizz gain out of this when they already have a robust portfolio of studios?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Sony doesn't put all their first party games on PC, included as cross-buy. Nor does Sony put all first party titles on a multiplatform subscription service, that is also going to be streamable on mobile soon.

That's why people are okay with Microsoft acquisitions, they are miles ahead with regards to a consumer friendly platform in those aspects.

Also look at the other options.
Maybe MS owning windows means something...
When was the last time MS released a first-party game on console and not on PC?

Perhaps we have a different understanding of the word "multiplatform".
Multiplatform means all platforms (at least popular and viable ones. Not just two that happen to be in hands of MS (XB and Windows). So far only truly multiplatform title ib can think is Minecraft. (Maybe there's a few more i don't know though).
And buying multiplatform ip and retrieve them from the most popular console in the world doesn't feel.... very pro consumer as some day here.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta laugh at the contortions people are doing to try and hide their console warring. 'bUt mIcrRoSoFt aRe mUlTipLaTfOrM!'

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't own spiderman rights, Microsoft could negotiate and make a spiderman game or whatever marvel type of game. this is totally different than that.

**Sony does currently hold the exclusive Spider-man game rights as per a licecing agreemeing with Marvel. (Which I am also ok with. Its was smart business and a great game)

I agree, but before MS would negotiate any license rights, they would want to be confident they had a studio that could execute.... hence the interest in WB.

Side note, I fully expect this to be a multi-party deal. As another poster mentioned, the mobile studios would be more appealing to other publishers.

Oct 27, 2017
If Microsoft wants WBIE, they will get it. Combine Take Two, EA and Activision, multiply their cash on hand by a factor of five and they still can't come close to matching Microsoft's cash on hand.

It's a question of whether or not they want to. Out of these four companies, no doubt they'd be the most palatable option.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Yeah they publish games on Android/IOS and PC
All of them? or are you ignoring the word all out of convenience? On which platform can i play god of war, bloodborne and tlou2 just to name a few? Maybe its just me being ignorant. Like i said, its news to me that sony releases all their games on multiple platforms but maybe its just me being ignorant about the subject.

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Did Sony invent Spider-man..... No they made a similar business deal to buy the rights. Why would that be ok for Sony but not MS?

If MS just bought the rights to the Batman license would you be ok with that?

I get it, business deals are more fun when they help your console of choice. However their is nothing more "knoble" about Sony owning Spider-man vs MS owning Batman.

Huh? Marvel went to Sony and asked them if they would be interested in making a game. Sony then went to insomniac and let them choose which character to make a game on. They chose Spiderman. Blame Marvel if you're pissed.

This thread has really brought to light that 3rd party exclusive games are good/bad, solely depends on the game coming to the platform you own. Era tries to behave like it's above that but we're not.