• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This tells me that several first party titles from Sony are years away and they want to fill the months with games as much as possible by moneyhatting titles.
I think it's clear that most of the first-party games they showed this month will be about before the end of 2021, some much sooner than that. They don't need to do this, but they probably look at their history and see that third-party exclusives helped them. They are covering as many angles as they can to ensure that PS5 adoption is faster than any of their new consoles before it.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Well, all of this will probably push microsoft to do the same, and with the Game Pass, PC and xCloud they will not be shy.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason ERA is always mad about Sony securing exclusives but gets a hard on whenever we get rumors about MS buying a whole dev studio that already develops for them and other consoles anyway. Nintendo, MS and Sony they all secure exclusive content all time through deals, acquisitions or whatever.

It's so weird.

Looking forward to those reveals. Seems like MS and Sony have alot in store for us. Good times ahead.
Why I don't even bother discussing with a good chunk of the people who pretend to be outraged by moneyhatted exclusives, they don't even attempt to hide their hypocrisy and jump at the first sniff at being angry or hoping and praying it's true depending on the platform.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I think it is more than fair to be against the common practice of securing third party games for a timed period to lock other platforms out.

but on the other side, isn´t this also up to the involved third parties to just say: "nope, we don´t do that, you can keep your money because we are supporting fair play and want our game on all platforms"

in the end, the money does it for most third parties.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
How about listening to the link you create a topic about before posting it? Or reading when applicable. He says he "wouldn't be surprised if...", not that it's happening.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Don't forget ascent, Medium, Scorn, bright memory infinite, and I am sure more to be announced.

They are all good I am sure. 😊

Those are all made by small studios and I have no problem with Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo supporting smaller studios, who actually need the money
for some exclusivity. Big publishers don't need more funding for there games.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have no problem with 3rd/2nd party exclusives, especially with indie games where it takes some of the cost or sales target burden away from them. At the end of the day whether it's a big developer or not if they are happy to take the money hat than that's fine by me. May mean I miss out or have to play it later but who has time to play every single video game any way.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I meant "pointless" more as in they themselves are inventing the point to begin with. Both companies are basically inventing their own problems, like an ouroboros of capitalism or something.

Sony will buy an exclusive and to counter Microsoft will buy one for itself, which Sony will counter by buying another exclusive, repeat infinitely

They could agree to not fund third parties in exchange for platform exclusivity, but that be an antithrust violation.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Should've gone after whole studios instead and just fund the games and make them permanent exclusives.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I think it's clear that most of the first-party games they showed this month will be about before the end of 2021, some much sooner than that. They don't need to do this, but they probably look at their history and see that third-party exclusives helped them. They are covering as many angles as they can to ensure that PS5 adoption is faster than any of their new consoles before it.

Sony does this every generation, they start with rather limited launch games and use third party to fill in that void because the gamers most always had enough support to make Playstation as the lead platform. This allows Sony time to curate their own games into tentpole titles right to the end of the generation. Rinse and repeat.

How do you think Sony started when they came into this industry? By going after third party.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Why I don't even bother discussing with a good chunk of the people who pretend to be outraged by moneyhatted exclusives, they don't even attempt to hide their hypocrisy and jump at the first sniff at being angry or hoping and praying it's true depending on the platform.

All this outrage is 'fake'.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping sony locked up Silent Hill. I wanna see what that game looks like being designed from the ground up to leverage the strengths of the PS5.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hate this practise - hopefully it will only be console exclusivety though and they will still appear on PC.

Oct 28, 2019
It's just fucking annoying how half of my mates playing on Xbox potentially can't play a game we're all interested in at the same time and vice versa and still you have people on here cheerleading billion dollar corporations saying iTs JuSt BuSSiNeSs while giggling to themselves like no fucking shit it's business we all know that

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sony does this every generation, they start with rather limited launch games and use third party to fill in that void because the gamers most always had enough support to make Playstation as the lead platform. This allows Sony time to curate their own games into tentpole titles right to the end of the generation. Rinse and repeat.

How do you think Sony started when they came into this industry? By going after third party.
We can't look at history and assume the same thing. Their first-party pipeline (including owned studios and partners) is more mature than it has ever been and the games they showed are very likely to release in the first year which would make it the strongest first year lineup in their history. They don't need third-party exclusives, but it's sure to help.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Buying exclusives or times exclusives is one of the worst things you can do, and it just pisses me off. It doesn't make me want your system more, but less. It's not right.

Oct 1, 2019
Huh. Looks like the August State of Play will be much bigger than I anticipated. I thought it would just be a gameplay showcase of Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
He literally just said that no one should be surprised if it turns out to be that way. No statement at all from him just pure common sense speculation from him.

He's adding that he heard that Sony is supposedly securing third party exclusives and people shouldn't be surprised if it is Final Fantasy XVI for example but I agree that he is definitely speculating a lot.

It could be the Silent Hill reboot Sony is working on with Konami but this would be completely different because Sony is developing it. Or it could be that Sony is partially financing or co-developing or publishing a third party game that in return will be timed exclusive to the PS5 and then will be released on PC later.

But mere speculation and unsubstantial rumours are enough to trigger another console war.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they're providing funding for dwindling IPs, I don't think these will be permanent exclusives. That said, this sucks regardless.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sadly this is the direction Sony still thinks works best (for them) and they are probably right where the platform is more important than the games.

what?...Sony has always valued their exclusives more then Microsoft...it's not even close...MS is the one who over-values the hardware

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what kind of event they'll have in August, size wise. I thought it was going to maybe be a SoP?
That August conference need to be bigger than their June event. They need to show serious killer apps that push graphics, not just the sequels either. While the sound design of GT7 is impressive, the graphics are barely an improvement, it's not the Driveclub of this gen which is a shame.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Is this your first console cycle? Microsoft has had handfuls of paid, permanent exclusives. At least Xbox eventually gets these games, and with 6 months of potential fixes and polish.
Atari was my first console cycle

Eventually getting them is not the same as getting them day one. It's bullshit when Sony does it and it's bullshit when Microsoft does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.