• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Let's be real, if one party decided to stop the practice it would just mean the other would get to have the exclusives for cheaper.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I hope console manufacturers will stop with this bs. I have nothing against third party exclusives when Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony are paying fully for the game to be made. But I dislike moneyhatted games, even thought I own all the consoles and will continue to do so.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Regarding what they might have gotten, I'd bet on mostly Japanese games, à la Project Athia and stuff (although we also have stuff like Godfall and Deathloop).

I'd be shocked, however, if big hitters like FF XVI are exclusive to PS5, despite the FF VII Remake precedent. I also don't think Street Fighter VI (whenever it's announced) will be exclusive to Sony this time around.
Yeah, SoP but I guess it will just be a fairly big SoP. Probably not comparable to the June event but big for SoP itself.
That's good, as the format is snappy and just needs cool content (which they've had in the past, but after so much time with Sony silent, it's understandable some people thought they weren't enough).

There's also the precedent of the GoT/TLOU SoP showing how you can play around with the format, really.

skankhunt420

Banned
Apr 4, 2020
Remember when Xbox paid for Tomb Raider timed exclusive and people absolutely hated it? Well, Sony deserves the same hate if this is true but we all know that will not happen. It's only Xbox that people love to hate.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody knows the context. Maybe Sony is funding the project partially or maybe a Nioh situation where they are publishing it in the west etc

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Third party exclusives and thus third parties being unreliable partners for any given platform (as they go to bed with them moneyz from a platform holder) are also the reason why I feel first party is the most crucial aspect of any console in today's market.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I can believe this, but Jez doesn't really have any kind of track record when it comes to Sony news, and why would he?

Remember when Xbox paid for Tomb Raider timed exclusive and people absolutely hated it? Well, Sony deserves the same hate if this is true but we all know that will not happen. It's only Xbox that people love to hate.
Ask yourself why is was criticised the way it was. Context is oft-neglected when it comes to these discussions.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Third party exclusives are just annoying at this point, but netting exclusivity with another Final Fantasy is pretty much the one thing that'll get me to definitely pick up a PS5 in favor of the Xbox Series X this winter, so they know what they're doing. Just wish they didn't.

Last edited:

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I can believe this, but Jez doesn't really have any kind of track record when it comes to Sony news, and why would he?

He likes to make "his choice of console" look better than the other consoles..

He is one of the best known fan-writers out there..

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any publishers out there needing some boost in their fundings like capcom did with Street Fighter V & Dead Rising 3?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox does the same with game like PUBG, Black Desert and phantasy star online 2 as timed exclusives and people didn't riot tho? Tomb Raider was announced as multiplatform and then all of sudden turned into an exclusive, and to make things worse MS tried to lie about it being timed exclusive with the whole "exclusive, holiday 2020" BS that got people even more angry. It's not remotely the same.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
As long as it is stuff that would struggle to get made without Sony support, or there isn't much demand on the xbox then it's fine.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Jez has shown numerous times that he doesn't know anything about what Sony is doing.

Sony surely did some deals, just like any other platform holder and if they have an event in August, they will show some of the games there.

Just don't take Jez as a source here, it's common sense. He is not reliable when it comes to Sony.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Sony really, really wants you to buy PS5 right out of the gate. Jim wasn't really bullshitting with the value thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill is being made by Sony Japan so it is probably not one of them if this is true.

Street Fighter 6 maybe?

In any case, I am not sure I buy what Jez is selling.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Phil doesn't see Playstation has competition, so I doubt it.
He sees them as competitors in the console market. What he said was in the context of cloud gaming for a article in a tech magazine. Sony and Nintendo are both in talks with Microsoft about using Azure for their online services. Thus they aren't competitors when we are talking about providing services to other businesses. Spencer is VP of Gaming and Xbox is just one of his responsibilities.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Can't wait to see this going against Sony exactly like when Microsoft bought exclusive on Tomb Raider... right ? Right ?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
So, August rumors are getting stronger in terms of another Sony showing right?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
a949cdb477b4575ec63ca5e2a2f114b8.jpg
Best response lol.

Silent Hill lives!!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Xbox does the same with game like PUBG, Black Desert and phantasy star online 2 as timed exclusives and people didn't riot tho? Tomb Raider was announced as multiplatform and then all of sudden turned into an exclusive, and to make things worse MS tried to lie about it being timed exclusive with the whole "exclusive, holiday 2020" BS that got people even more angry. It's not remotely the same.

Regarding PSO2, isn't it only coming to the West after 7 years because of Microsoft?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Tomb Raider was announced as multiplatform and then all of sudden turned into an exclusive, and to make things worse MS tried to lie about it being timed exclusive with the whole "exclusive, holiday 2020" BS that got people even more angry. It's not remotely the same.

Bullshit, Rise of The Tomb Raider was announced at E3 2014 with no platforms just like Deathloop and GhostWire were announced without platforms.

Xbox does the same with game like PUBG, Black Desert and phantasy star online 2 as timed exclusives and people didn't riot tho?

Not exactly the same lol

PUBG was not planend on consoles and Microsoft helped Bluehole with porting the game and PSO2 was released in the West thanks to MS.
SEGA didn't care enough to port it for nearly a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.