• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Gears 5 is technically above those its not comparable imo. 4k/60fps, especially with the fidelity Gears runs at, is crazy. Even DF spoke of it as one if the best looking games on PC made.

Gears 5 Was significantly more impressive as an UE showcase than Days Gone, as noted by Digital Foundry.

Ok, well, then I don't know what to tell you. I was talking about my personal taste, not what Digital Foundry said.

Perhaps it was the art direction, but it didn't look that impressive to me (I played it on PC, with HDR on, and it was a really good looking game, but nothing that blew my mind). I did like the game very much, don't get me wrong, but it didn't feel that much visually impressive (especially the red desert act, it didn't look nearly as good as the beautiful ice setting at the beginning).

But ok, perhaps you're right, memory can play tricks.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The PS5 UE5 demo. That knocked my socks off. The instant switching of high fidelity worlds in the Ratched and Clank: Rift Apart demo also impressed me.

Yeah, it's really hard to say these things and not sound like a Sony fanboy, but these two did impress me a lot more than anything next gen I saw until then. UT5 really looked like nothing I've seen before and when Rift Apart started to go through all those worlds in rapid succession, my jaw dropped.

But, seriously, I do expect all these next gen AAA games on both console platforms and PC to look great.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
If the actual game is even close then wtf. Horizon looked amazing but attainable. Definitely not possible on current gen but I can at least believe it. That Hellblade footage has had me scratching my head since I saw it. It's the only next gen thing shown that made me say, "Nah fam, you have to show me more for me to believe this".

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, well, then I don't know what to tell you. I was talking about my personal taste, not what Digital Foundry said.

Perhaps it was the art direction, but it didn't look that impressive to me (I played it on PC, with HDR on, and it was a really good looking game, but nothing that blew my mind). I did like the game very much, don't get me wrong, but it didn't feel that much visually impressive (especially the red desert act, it didn't look nearly as good as the beautiful ice setting at the beginning).

But ok, perhaps you're right, memory can play tricks.
Fair enough mate. I get where your coming from.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm not surprised. Look at what ND achieved with Part II on base PS4. Devs can do incredible things with real-time cutscenes nowadays.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
I watched a few of the reaction videos and a lot of folks couldn't tell if her face was being rendered or live video. Impressive, considering a lot of movies can't get it right.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Or they are capable of understanding that one game is vying for photorealistic visuals and the others are very much stylized. There's not too much that you can even directly compare because of these different approaches to rendering, so it's a bit dishonest to say stuff like this.
It wasn't a question of just art style. HB2 is by far the most technological showcase on consoles at the moment.

They achieved the same pixel sized polygons that was the big deal on ue5 demo, only they managed to do so with characters (which is something nanite currently does not support, and the main character model in the ue5 was rendered using the traditional pipeline so you could still see polygon edges on her), while HFW and Ratchet are still on the traditional pipeline so you can spot polygon edges or use of textures to simulate geometry.

Not to mention that it ran at a higher res than the ue5 tech demo on ps5 and apparently used ray traced reflections which are absent from ue5 demo as well, with multiple characters on screen and with cloth simulations which was again absent from ue5.

But that's expected. HB2 is being built by a smaller team than those two, focusing on achieving more efficient way of content production and more prone to use newer tech first.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the "yeah, we knew this/no one said it wasn't" crowd. There was PLENTY of arguing about whether it was real time or rendered in Unreal in the original reveal thread.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Have people forgot what Ninja Theory did regarding in-engine faces in Heavenly Sword? One year into the PS3's gen? Or hell the Beautiful Environments?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the "yeah, we knew this/no one said it wasn't" crowd. There was PLENTY of arguing about whether it was real time or rendered in Unreal in the original reveal thread.

Heck, even Digital Foundry was skeptical. Honestly, it's cool to hear it confirmed from Epic themselves, that Senua model in particular looks unbelievably good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more artifacts in the release console version, but I'd agree that outside of the UE5 reveal itself, this is probably the most next-gen thing we've seen, I really hope we see more on the 23rd.

MilKyWayy

Jun 3, 2020
To add on to this discussion, Phil Spencer already announced that Hellblade II's trailer showed "the true power of the Xbox Series X". You can't really demonstrate that by showing pre-rendered footage .

My twitter post was mostly targeted at the console warriors who STILL thought the trailer was CGI.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Are really people here acting as if no one said that it wasn't real-time for real? Even Digital Foundry said that they think it wasn't real-time, lol.

Digital Foundry article.
i read the article, they were very clear from the start that it wasn't a CGI video at all, they didn't suspect it of being that at all. If someone thought that, then they would be thinking that Microsoft was outright lying. Sure there might have been one or two people who said that, but I don't think the number was significant.

Last edited:

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Watching the Epic UE5 video on youtube and it goes into some of the details about the UE5 demo. It says that the data streaming pool size was 768 MB. Considerably under the max of both next gen SSDs. Would be interesting to know what the streaming pool is in Hellblade 2.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Have people forgot what Ninja Theory did regarding in-engine faces in Heavenly Sword? One year into the PS3's gen? Or hell the Beautiful Environments?

Sure played and very much enjoyed Heavenly Sword. It was a great looking game for the time, even if it didn't quite match the original reveal it delivered visually. I expect HB2 to look great, just not reading too much into this footage yet until we see something that gives more indication of the game. This looks like an early proof of concept to me, but hopefully will see something at the Xbox event. Even while I didn't particularly enjoy the first game, I will probably cop this on PC if it expands the scope of the game.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly with photogrammetry the level of fidelity shown in this trailer isn't that unrealistic.
With high Res displacement maps you can dial down the source scans without losing anything outside of the ridiculous file sizes for such assets.
SSS and Hair rendering has also massively improved so stuff like peach fuzz being possible to render isn't far fetched. And that's before we start talking massively better lighting solutions.
He'll I actually expect the final game to look better than what was shown.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Phewwww damn, that's impressive.

Not that I'm gonna be able to play the final product, lol. I tried with Hellblade and I had to tap out, I'm terrible with horror. But that trailer was outrageously good looking.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember anymore, was Hellblade 2 announced to be a next gen exclusive or crossgen?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I thought everyone here agreed it was in-game engine. I think the major point of contention was if the gameplay will actually match said graphics.
We seen plenty of in-game engines (heres looking at you EA) and then when the gameplay is released you can tell sacrifices had been made.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
This game looks incredible, and after playing the first game (funnily enough on the PS4) I am really bummed to holy hell that this is now an Xbox exclusive. Crossing my fingers for a favourable Lockhart price point. But maybe €200-300 is too much for one game... Someone help me justify it!

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
The way these in-game trailers work they might as well be CGI.
Non-gameplay scenes at 24fps.
Doesn't really mean anything, CGI or not.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The way these in-game trailers work they might as well be CGI.
Non-gameplay scenes at 24fps.
Doesn't really mean anything, CGI or not.

Not sure what you are trying to suggest here. That it doesn't matter if the trailer is CG or not? Because CG would be just as good? CG is fine at time of release, unless it's used in copious amounts. At 4k, that would make the game files sizes massive. It would also have issues with different aspect ratios, wouldn't allow for variable character appearance, and would be inconsistent with in-game visuals. It would also look poor at higher resolutions in the future.

If you are suggesting that being able to render visuals at the fidelity seen in the Hellblade II trailer means nothing? Then that's just nonsense. It's an incredible feat for real-time visuals. I've never seen character models close to this detailed or realistically animated in a game, and outside of the UE5 demo, almost nothing comes close in terms of environment detail.

This also tech should translate to incredible looking gameplay. Hopefully we get to see on the 23rd.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Yeah no surprise, easilythe best looking game shown off so far (FS2020 runner up). They are gunna make the Series X sing in the next few years.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you are trying to suggest here. That it doesn't matter if the trailer is CG or not? Because CG would be just as good? CG is fine at time of release, unless it's used in copious amounts. At 4k, that would make the game files sizes massive. It would also have issues with different aspect ratios, wouldn't allow for variable character appearance, and would be inconsistent with in-game visuals. It would also look poor at higher resolutions in the future.

If you are suggesting that being able to render visuals at the fidelity seen in the Hellblade II trailer means nothing? Then that's just nonsense. It's an incredible feat for real-time visuals. I've never seen character models close to this detailed or realistically animated in a game, and outside of the UE5 demo, almost nothing comes close in terms of environment detail.

This also tech should translate to incredible looking gameplay. Hopefully we get to see on the 23rd.

It means nothing in regards to how the game will look during gameplay, I made that clear.
It's a tech demo, basically.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
"Real-time character model" is not the same as "the trailer from all the way back then was rendered in real-time" - this thread is extrapolating.

tenor.gif

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
"Real-time character model" is not the same as "the trailer from all the way back then was rendered in real-time" - this thread is extrapolating.
Right. If it was rendered in real-time they would have said 'rendered in real-time' not 'in-engine'. They pick their weasel words carefully to fit what they are actually showing.

That's not to say that they wont reach that level of fidelity (although considering it's way ahead of stuff we know is real-time on PS5 even, I have my doubts) but if that trailer was being rendered on XSX hardware (or equivalent) in real-time they would have said that, and they didn't.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, I think they only imply that the character model of Senua is the real-time character model, not sure what it implies for the trailer.

That said, Ninja Theory are great at crafting impressive visuals, I'm fairly sure we'll be impressed when we see the project in more details.

MilKyWayy

Jun 3, 2020
Fair, I just find it amazing that Ninja Theory was able to make a real-time character model that detailed. I assumed it meant that the trailer was real-time as well.

Also, can you discuss why the trailer featured 0 LOD pop-in? Your analysis suggested that it was pre-rendered, yet Richard Leadbetter said that it could be because of XSX's hardware. Should we expect a downgrade or upgrade going into Xbox's July event?

Last edited: