• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I don't curse in real life and definitely not in front of my parents at 27. Something put a gosh diddly darn fear in me at a formative age.

Oct 28, 2017
This is great, the memoji is priceless
I watched my language around my parents growing up for sure. As a 33 year-old with their own mortgage, I say whatever I fuckin' please around my folks now, lol. It helps that my mom has always cursed like a sailor, a habit she picked up from her mom

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This seems incredibly fake/staged like most things on the internet.

It's a crime it has 90K retweets. Who is this random person with 2K followers? Who did he pay to get this viral?

There's nothing staged about it. It is 100% pure strained reality and it is ASTOUNDING that so many people here do not know that.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this an American thing? The whole 'no profanities in front of one's parents'?

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She actually said a** instead of "the s-word." She's gonna get #cancelled by her church group if they hear about this tweet.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an American thing? The whole 'no profanities in front of one's parents'?

Cultural thing. I'm Latino and I'm definitely in the no cursing in front of parents camp. It is only in the past few years that I started to curse in front of my dad.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Some of us have old school parents. Mine are in their 70s. They grew up with the mindset that older people know better and cursing in front of them is disrespectful.

Do it on a Sunday and Mom would wear you the fuck down.
My parents are in their 60's. They grew up in largely the same era. They"ve just changed with the times I guess,

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
In my family family group (with like 20 ppl) a cousin got into a heated arguement with another cousin about their kids and it was just so embarrassing to read....

but then my step dad accidentally started a video call in the chat which he quickly ended right in the middle of the arguement And he apologized to the chat saying
"Sorry ladies, please continue". I was dying laughing.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i watched kill bill with my mum...and she's a chinese elderly lady in her mid-60s.

'lmao' will be considered kindergarten language to her.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my parents were vaguely opposed to cursing growing up, but all pretence vanished when I hit my teens and realized my mom swears more than I ever would. Also, this was Ireland, so people just use swearing as punctuation. The idea that "ass" is offensive is fucking hilarious to me.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
North of the border, in French Canada, everyone swears plenty and nobody gives shit.
Parents will only correct young kids, but once you're over 18 nobody's going to say anything about it.
Hell, we'll even chain a couple of swears in a single sentence sometimes when it needs emphasis.
This includes our own French swears and also English swears which we seem to care about even less.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
I started swearing more and more after turning 15, and my parents never held back after we had all grown out of grade school. Most conversations between me and my mom will have at least fifty "fucks" in it for good measure. How the hell don't you swear with your parents?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
My parents wouldn't scold me for saying "ass." As a child? I'm getting a belt to my ass real quick, so it's good that they mellowed out. I couldn't say the f-word in front of them, though.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will RARELY let a "fuck" out with my parents, but only at that curse tier do I start to be wary. Like, I'd never in a million years say "cunt" or some shit, but lower-tier cursing for sure, all day every day. We're a pretty boisterous italian family. Interestingly my wife and I curse constantly around our 4 year old and she hasn't picked up any of it, she's kinda intuited that these words ain't for her.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I have in ingrained to not swear in front of my family since childhood. Even if it wouldn't bother them now, I physically cannot get the swear out around my mom. I honestly don't know how to describe it.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
My uncle was a baptist minister and sometimes he'd give us that look during service that meant we we're in for it when we got home.

I felt the same way watching this clip. And the man who wrote "my thumb slipped" knew he'd fucked up.

I thought this was funny as.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
ive never understood people that treat authority figures with unconditional respect really, but also my parents are/were terrible at being parents and i severely dislike the police

i truly truly would not care if i upset either of my parents in any particular way lol

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Worst case of accidental wrong message I've seen is a dude in my college accidentally sent "You up for some dick tonight?" to his grandmother. His girlfriends name is Jeanie and his grandmothers name is Janine.

He only has himself to blame.