• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Had a cutscene briefly stutter on Series X but didn't see it persist through the whole scene like some of my earlier experiences. Also don't seem to notice any more slight jutter playing with VRR engaged — that used to be the thing I would experience in place of screen tearing before but it doesn't seem to be an issue anywhere near as often, and admittedly was very difficult to see, unlike the very obvious tearing without VRR.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I have not seen a tear since the update but im just playing thr game and not trying to force it. I feel like if anyone is worried they shouldn't be.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The tearing definitely isn't completely fixed as I've caught it here and there while wandering around but it's like 90% reduced but I'm like, just wandering around the first area so maybe it's worse in bigger areas.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
The tearing is fixed or not lol

I really don't know why there's such a stark difference. I'm in Lunden right now and the screen tearing on mine is happening constantly. There isn't much during a cutscene when people aren't moving, but when a woman was running during another cutscene I just had it was screen tearing constantly.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
I really don't know why there's such a stark difference. I'm in Lunden right now and the screen tearing on mine is happening constantly. There isn't much during a cutscene when people aren't moving, but when a woman was running during another cutscene I just had it was screen tearing constantly.
Try a hard reboot?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
"No screen tearing for me" next post "Screen tearing is still awful " 😂

Will wait for DF
Sounds like they have improved performance, which would reduce how often it drops below 60, but not changed how the game handles performance dips, so people without VRR displays are still getting tearing when it dips. So less tearing as a side effect of the performance improvements.

I'll be interested to see how they got there. IE, are resolutions the same in equivalent scenes. Does it still dip hard on XSX with the torch or that one scene where enemies burst through the doors.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The snowy and cold environment has me really tempted to buy. How's the combat?

It's only a small part of the game though.
Just for your information.
Is it though? Norway is way bigger than, say, White Orchard, and it's both the tutorial and a later game area. Some people on the OT spent more than 15 hours before departing to England! And North Cumbria in England has also features a snowy landscape.

There's more than enough snow to fulfill that part of the Viking fantasy imo.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Dammit I just bought it thinking the screen tearing was fixed. I'll hold of playing in case I need to do a refund through the store.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, new Series X owner. How do I know if the game has updated to the latest version ?

There's no "update history" ala the PS4 ecosystem which I've been used to for the last gen.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I had atrocious screen tearing on Series X and just tested it now and it's seemingly gone, both in performance and quality modes.

Quality mode looks native 4K when I really look at the image up close.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
The snowy and cold environment has me really tempted to buy. How's the combat?
I really like the combat. Lots of different weapons and combos and the attack cancelling makes the combat really fast and responsive.

youtu.be

Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Combat Tips You NEED to Know (Very Hard) Difficulty

These are some of my combat mechanics tips for very hard difficulty in Assassin's Creed Valhalla.* Support the channel on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/us...

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm sure this won't be the last patch. Don't know why it's so hard for the team to just tick the Vsync box though. General consensus seems to be non-VRR people would rather have judder than tearing.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly think this might have been the game that made my c9 purchase complete. Reading everyone complain about screen tearing pre patch and I never saw one frame tear because of the vrr on the c9.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I only played for about five minutes, but feels really nice on XSX. The tearing was most noticeable to me during cutscenes though, I'll need to wait to run into some of those to say for sure

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Screen tearing is all-but gone for me on my XSX in performance mode, and I'm playing on an 8 year-old 1080p TV.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The screen tearing is significantly reduced.

I went to Asgard and had a scan around the great hall: pre-patch I was getting awful screen tearing there but now it's almost entirely gone. There is maybe a slight stutter ever now and again but it's pretty much unnoticeable unless you're hunting for it.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
I was able to find out how to turn on the VRR on my C9. When I turned that on and restarted the game, most of the screen tearing is gone. Can't say I've noticed it out right when playing. For those without VRR then it looks like they'll still get bad screen tearing.

Oct 28, 2017
76 hours on Series X at 60fps

Just tried 30fps for the first time and holy shit is this a slideshow. Like...bad very bad. I thought it was broken at first. It's horrible. Never doing 30fps for anything again.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Is my game fucked ? New patch and I'm doing the berserker quest , I couldn't fast travel anywhere for ages and thought nothing of it , died and it takes me back about three quests ago and I still can't fast travel or manual save?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Ok well color me surprised,I was sure I would notice a big difference going back to 30fps on the Series X but I just tried it and its not that bad and it looks better for sure,like when I come out of the water now,you can see the wet gear and the water dripping down them,everything is crisper and the HDR when its sunny,so far,is great for me...I might leave it at quality now,unless I really notice it in combat,havent fought yet.

Is my game fucked ? New patch and I'm doing the berserker quest , I couldn't fast travel anywhere for ages and thought nothing of it , died and it takes me back about three quests ago and I still can't fast travel or manual save?

Something is wrong for sure...one of the menu has a quick save button in the middle at the bottom of the screen,did you try that...?

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Something is wrong with my game after the patch. It won't let me save or fast travel.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
So I just noticed that my Series X won't turn on VRR, even though I have a LG C9 that I bought two months ago.
That is weird. Going to throw out a few things:

• Are you using the included HDMI cable that came with the Series X?
  • Is the HDMI cable going from the Series X directly to the C9? No Receiver or anything in-between?
  • Did you set the HDMI output in the C9 Settings to On for Deep color (my wording may be wrong)?
  • Did you do a complete power cycle of both the Series X and the TV?
I also have a C9 and never had this issue...but it can happen if you introduce a Receiver or something in-between of if you did not turn on deep color or whatever the HDMI setting on the TV. Once you get VRR going, even the small tearing that remains in the game will be eliminated.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Guys, you can now toggle the photos off in the map legend filter and they y'know, actually turn off. Wasn't mentioned in the patch notes but it was definitely fixed.