• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which AC Game Should I Play Next?

• Syndicate

Votes: 249 41.7%
  • III Remastered

Votes: 69 11.6%
  • Unity

Votes: 279 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm totally onboard with people revisiting Unity and realizing that when everything clicks, it's a pretty fun time. However, man...I just cannot get onboard with this sudden, bizarre revisionism of Unity retroactively being the best game in the franchise, or even one of the better games at all. Seriously, I think I was kicked in the head by a horse or something, because I feel like I woke up one day and suddenly Unity went from being widely regarded as a 6 or 7/10 game to being the pinnacle of the franchise. I really feel like in the wake of folks being disappointed by the reboot trilogy, we're now over-correcting and heaping praise on Unity that it doesn't really deserve.

It's not like, outside of the bugs, the problems people had with Unity upon its release suddenly went away.

- Arno is still a character made of plywood, and is possibly the most forgettable protag in the franchise
- The combat is as brain-dead and clunky as it gets
- The story isn't particularly noteworthy or memorable
- The parkour looks great when it works, which is exactly 65% of the time.
- The game is still pretty damn buggy, especially when it comes to those fancy animations.
- The new stealth mechanics, while certainly welcome, were not brilliantly implemented - especially when you compare it to actual stealth-focused games like Disohonored, MGS or Splinter Cell.
- A lot of Paris (and its citizens) feels completely copy + paste
- ^^ Which is especially jarring when you compare Unity's open world to its contemporaries at the time of release - GTAV and The WItcher 3 - which really felt hand-crafted and alive.
- The game's map is packed to the brim with Ubi's usual avalanche of icons and meaningless collectibles.

I would describe Unity today exactly as I did when it was released, a "beautiful mess". I agree that when everything clicks, it's a fun time, and artistically speaking it absolutely is one of the best looking games in the series (especially when it comes to interiors). And hey, if it's your favorite game in the series, then power to ya. But for me, there really is no one- game in the franchise that just knocked everything out of the park. Brotherhood, Black Flag, and Syndicate were, for me at least, the best examples of the "old" style of AC design - despite their own flaws.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
Unity runs at 60 on Series X. I had forgotten that I bought it on sale ages ago, and now I'm pumped to try it out with a proper frame rate.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm totally onboard with people revisiting Unity and realizing that when everything clicks, it's a pretty fun time. However, man...I just cannot get onboard with this sudden, bizarre revisionism of Unity retroactively being the best game in the franchise, or even one of the better games at all. Seriously, I think I was kicked in the head by a horse or something, because I feel like I woke up one day and suddenly Unity went from being widely regarded as a 6 or 7/10 game to being the pinnacle of the franchise. I really feel like in the wake of folks being disappointed by the reboot trilogy, we're now over-correcting and heaping praise on Unity that it doesn't really deserve.

It's not like, outside of the bugs, the problems people had with Unity upon its release suddenly went away.

- Arno is still a character made of plywood, and is possibly the most forgettable protag in the franchise
- The game is still pretty damn buggy, especially when it comes to those fancy animations.
- The new stealth mechanics, while certainly welcome, were not brilliantly implemented - especially when you compare it to actual stealth-focused games like Disohonored, MGS or Splinter Cell.
- ^^ Which is especially jarring when you compare Unity's open world to its contemporaries at the time of release - GTAV and The WItcher 3 - which really felt hand-crafted and alive.
- The game's map is packed to the brim with Ubi's usual avalanche of icons and meaningless collectibles.

I would describe Unity today exactly as I did when it was released, a "beautiful mess". I agree that when everything clicks, it's a fun time, and artistically speaking it absolutely is one of the best looking games in the series (especially when it comes to interiors). And hey, if it's your favorite game in the series, then power to ya. But for me, there really is no one- game in the franchise that just knocked everything out of the park. Brotherhood, Black Flag, and Syndicate were, for me at least, the best examples of the "old" style of AC design - despite their own flaws.
Yeah, I agree with this.

I still really enjoyed my time with Unity because when it really clicks, it's brilliant. It's also the game that screamed "next gen" the most to me, with Paris being pack full of crowds while looking stupidly gorgeous. Objectively I think it's a 7/10 game, but it's better than the sum of it's parts to me (on PC at least).

Nowhere near the best in the franchise, but not the absolute worst either. I would put it right in the middle.

Oct 27, 2017
OP play Unity because it has the best parkour and the city is a beautiful depiction of Paris that needed better hardware than we had at the time to do it justice.

Do you have a physical copy of Unity to get to 60fps? Or a PC?

I like that game a lot! I recommend playing it with french voices, they're the way to go.
Also this - play it in French

...but it's better than the sum of it's parts to me (on PC at least).
tbh I've always felt Era could do with a solid dose of learning to appreciate things as more than the sum of their parts. I know we are enthusiasts and care more about the details, but there's something to be said about losing sight of the forest for the trees that in the nitpicking that happens in a lot of threads.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unity is the culmination of the classic AC formula and gets alot of undeserved hate mostly because of how buggy it was at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Unity is awful but looks amazing for an older game

Syndicate is not too bad, but doesn't look as good as unity

play syndicate

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Syndicate is slept on. Amazing setting, great mobility and stealth, fun characters and punchy combat. It's my favorite in the series.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I'd love to see them return to a mostly city-bound experience. I think Syndicate offers that in the best way out of the games you've listed.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah 10 hours in and I'm burning out of Valhalla. They really need to debloatify these games. I get some people love massive bang for your buck timesinks but even then there should be a right way to do it where i'm not considering listening to a podcast on the side cause I'm bored out of my mind.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Unity is amazing and the last time the series tried to be innovative and fresh but Syndicate is fun too. Now we have these soulless AAA WRPGs.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Unity is probably my favourite since the Ezio trilogy. Liked Syndicate but the layout of London and the grapple hook took points off for me.

Played through Origins and half of Odyssey before calling it quits on the franchise which I'm kinda bummed out on. It's just an action RPG now with Assassins Creed painted on. I was all about the stealth assassin stuff that I loved even back to 1 with the crowd blending etc.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually a convincing argument, parkour is one of my favorite aspects of the series. I thought Syndicate did a good job of it too. Unity is comparable then?
Unity allows you to use the jump button at any time while running / climbing making the parkour the most fluid, flexible and creative. This omission is sorely felt in all following games.

Unity is a weird game, but imo mostly underrated.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
AC hasn't gone anywhere.

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY:

That's a single city questline in Valhalla, from which there are about 5 or so, and it's AC as fuck, parkour, templars, stealth and all.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I went back and played Unity for the first time after finishing Origins, which I enjoyed but also got me wanting to contrast it against the old formula. Glad I did - beautiful city and interesting historical period, smooth animations and parkour, doesn't shy away from the assassin stuff. Not a perfect game but it scratched the itch I was looking for.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
AC hasn't gone anywhere.

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY:

That's a single city questline in Valhalla, from which there are about 5 or so, and it's AC as fuck, parkour, templars, stealth and all.

That's good to know! I'm enjoying Valhalla for what it is, but I'm glad to know there are some classic elements. I'm about 20 hours in and haven't reached any of the major cities yet. How big and parkour friendly are they compared to previous games (including Origins and Odyssey)?

May 19, 2020

this is a good post but don't forget the multiplayer co-op assassin missions, a big part of the game's marketing thrust, were basically a huge clusterfuck and were never really expanded on in future entries.

ragolliangatan

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 31, 2019
I'm biased as I worked on AC: Syndicate- so i'd say go for that. Unity is really enjoyable after all the patches.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Lord help me how is unity leading this vote? Even the parkour which it gets so much praise for is overrated because it feels floaty as hell. One of the most forgettable main stories and characters I've ever played too. Go syndicate op.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I hopped out of the franchise after Black Flag until Origins brought me back.

I can reasonably assume either of the other two would be better than III though. III is the worst I've played with Unity and Syndicate being the only two of the mainline games I haven't played. Though I did play a few hours of Unity when it launched.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
The yankee in me still enjoys running through 18th century Boston but you're better off playing Unity next. For as many bugs as it had starting off, I really enjoyed the subplot and environment in Unity.
Syndicate is missable IMO. It's almost too modern for an AC title and the story isn't interesting either.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love if they went back to the idea that you're an assassin and not a warrior. Even if they keep the RPG parts, the atmosphere felt so much morena intriguing.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually a convincing argument, parkour is one of my favorite aspects of the series. I thought Syndicate did a good job of it too. Unity is comparable then?
Yes, Unity and Syndicate both have the same parkour system. Hold RT/R2 to run, hold A/X to ascend, hold B/O to descend. "Descending" while running on flat terrain will have you automatically vault over obstacles (up to chest height) without stopping. Descending while on a building will have you find the smoothest and fastest route downwards automatically. Ascending is basically the same as it's always been.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unpatched Unity I would say. It had actual ambition behind it and you can see that ambition realized with current gen hardware. Origins mixed it up but the formula grew stale after just 2 games IMO. Now its just a bloated mess with little to no relation to the earlier games.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yes, Unity and Syndicate both have the same parkour system. Hold RT/R2 to run, hold A/X to ascend, hold B/O to descend. "Descending" while running on flat terrain will have you automatically vault over obstacles (up to chest height) without stopping. Descending while on a building will have you find the smoothest and fastest route downwards automatically. Ascending is basically the same as it's always been.
They're not quite the same. Syndicate holds your hand more when it comes to jumps, and will actively stop you from attempting ones you won't make. Unity also has several more parkour moves, such as side mounts/dismounts, which were removed from Syndicate for some reason. The parkour blending is much better in Unity.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's good to know! I'm enjoying Valhalla for what it is, but I'm glad to know there are some classic elements. I'm about 20 hours in and haven't reached any of the major cities yet. How big and parkour friendly are they compared to previous games (including Origins and Odyssey)?
Huge step down from how friendly they were in origins and odyssey. The towns are small, and basically all single floor building with the odd church or longhouse. You will traverse most of them either on horse or in the bushes.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Excellent video on Unity.

He did a lot of videos on the different AC games, highly worth watching if you're a fan.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Play Ghost of Tsushima instead of that other tripe. Not only is it a much better pseudo-historical/assassin/action adventure-type game than those three you'll probably get more AssCreed feels there than any other game in the last decade.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I REALLY didn't like syndicate. The London streets were too wide to have particularly smooth flowing traversal. And I honestly had most bugs in that game than I experienced playing Unity. Unity, despite its flaws is kind of the pinnacle of the old style AC games imo and it looks so good even now. If you can play it on a next gen system even better.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No offence but don't listen to this OP lol. Unity is by far the most similar to the classic games. Paris is exceptional, assassination missions are great, and it has the best parkour.

Unity feels like completely dogshit to play. Like my character is actually running through dogshit while I'm holding my controller under liquid dogshit. And when it comes to presentation and production values it feels like the jankiest thing, barely holding together.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Syndicate for gameplay, Unity for graphics... it remains one of the best looking game ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the question should be, which one makes you feel like a badass assassin most consistently? Ignoring the narrative. I own Syndicate but now I'm curious about Unity on PC

Oct 31, 2017
Protagonist is pretty forgettable, but Unity is much better than these last three AC outings. You're not an Assassin anymore.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'd also have to go with none of the above. Syndicate was the jankiest AC I can remember playing (being the first old-style one I played since Brotherhood). I'm trying Black Flag now instead and I think I'm realizing that I don't think I ever actually enjoyed playing an Assassin's Creed game until they switched to the new style of gameplay. (I do remember enjoying AC2 at the time, though.)

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Huge step down from how friendly they were in origins and odyssey. The towns are small, and basically all single floor building with the odd church or longhouse. You will traverse most of them either on horse or in the bushes.
I mean the big cities like London and York. Haven't reached those yet.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I picked up both the AC3 and 4 collections on Switch and have really be enjoying them. Well, I really don't like 3 at all, but I replayed it just to see if my feelings on it changed (they had not, haha), but at least it has the Vita one I haven't played yet.
And it was my first time through Rouge and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Ezio Trilogy is my favorite of the entire series (that I've played, haven't done much of them from the last generation) and I wish they'd get that on Switch eventually.

I'd love it if they did reduce the scope of the series back to focusing on 1-3 large cities rather than the gigantic open worlds of the last 3 games.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I agree and I enjoyed both Odyssey and Origins; both those two and Valhalla seem like different games with the assassins creed name slapped on. AC peaked at the ezio trilogy.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on what is the main draw of the series for you. If it is the gameplay and the story, go with Syndicate. If it is the world and the uncanny feeling of being in a historical setting, go with Unity. I am the latter type and while I understand why people like Syndicate so much it failed in the "historical sim" department. It feels more like a satire then a faithful recreation and the aesthetics have a steampunk vibe which I disliked.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Hope they never go back to the old formula. With these sales os guaranteed at least next 2 acs will be rpgs :D