• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is better

• Origins

Votes: 168 36.3%
  • Odyssey

Votes: 163 35.2%
  • Both are good

Votes: 109 23.5%
  • Both are bad

Votes: 23 5.0%

• Total voters

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It's hard for me to choose. I 100%'d both and they share a lot of the same DNA and I find both (Kassandra for Odyssey) protagonists equally charming and likable.

Pick whichever setting appeals to you more.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I recently downloaded Odyssey (Uplay gamepass) to experience on PC with all the bells/whistles and higher FPS even though I did invest 30+ hours in the X1X version. I'm only a few hours in already and boredom is kind of setting in even though it has been over a year since I last played it. I keep hearing how Origin is much tighter experience and wondering if I should play that one instead.
You basically have to do the secondary quests in both games, to level up. So neither of them is particularly 'tight'. I think people say Odyssey has more pointless stuff because there're more icons like conquests (which are easily ignored) but the secondary quests in Odyssey feel a bit more worthwhile than Origins.

Maxpower45

Jul 6, 2019
I only played odyssey its really good the first half in my opinion but after that i got bored and was interested in the story anymore.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Origins, for sure. Especially if you're not a fan of busywork, because Odyssey literally has an infinite amount of busywork.

Origins has the better setting, story, gameplay and isn't constantly trying to push you into buying MTX.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
I'd take Origins over Odyssey every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Better characters
Better story
Better world
Better combat
Less boat shit
Layla was merely boring and underdeveloped as opposed to actively offputting.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Odyssey is better. Kassandra is a great protagonist and Ancient Greece is a little bit more interesting than Ancient Egypt to me. Both great though.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Origin's story is a heaping trash fire, and literally all of its missions are terrible, but I think I enjoyed the combat and encounter design more than the mashy Odessey.

Also, Egypt is truly still amazing to go through. World feels hand crafted and the game still looks stupidly good.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I put 140h into origins and all its DLC. Bayek was fantastic, Ancient Egypt felt better realized world and idk how it I thought the game looked a bit better , more natural than odyssey.
I put 40h into odyssey and dropped it, there were more skills, more combat options ,more sidequests and just more and more shit to do, but i just did not care about any of it

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Origins felt better and somehow more alive and varied. Odyssey had a ton of ship combat and was far larger in scope, but it didn't feel as a real place as Origins did.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Origins was really good. Egypt was amazing and diverse, Bayek was a good character. But the side quests (required to get up to level for the story missions) were painfully dull - go here, investigate, use eagle, kill, use eagle again, go somewhere and kill everyone - every single time. And the ship combat, ugh.

Upon hearing Odyssey has more padding I didn't even try it.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I own both of these from ps store sales but i have only played about an hour of origins. I want to play one before Valhalla but I don't think I'll have time to do both.
For those who have played them, which is better? I admit my time with origins, while limited, was fun but seemed like a lot of busywork (go hunt things, go craft things, etc) Is odyssey more streamlined?

i loved the entire Ezio saga, as well as the original. Never got too far into 3, but finished 4 and enjoyed it for the most part. Wasn't too keen on the naval stuff.
Origins has a better pseudo historical parallel narrative and revenge story.

Odyssey is a straight up super hero game and Kassandra is pretty great.

I don't thing you can go wrong with either.

OP
OP
Like the hat?

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Poll added. I'm going to give origins a go. I want to play both eventually. I feel like I'd like the setting of Greece more so i would rather save that one for playing on my ps5 hopefully with better loading time.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is technically better but it's too goddamn long and stretched out, so Origins wins due to the tighter length and better protagonist.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Poll added. I'm going to give origins a go. I want to play both eventually. I feel like I'd like the setting of Greece more so i would rather save that one for playing on my ps5 hopefully with better loading time.
Worth mentioning that Origins has Greek and Roman areas so you get a good feel for that architecture/people/world building.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Origins is a more focused game, with a better story. Odyssey's loop, though, kept me hooked for far longer. That game does such a good job of constantly rewarding you with better loot and interesting abilities. It's also the first time in an AC game where combat didn't feel like a slog to be avoided at all costs, thanks to those abilities.

PunkSxE

Banned
Apr 9, 2020
Both are good, but Greece >>>> Egypt, so I pick Odyssey

It also is, in my opinion, the most beautiful game of this generation

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Semi-related question, but I'm currently playing Unity and for the first time, I'll be skipping ahead and playing Valhalla afterwards. Anything from Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey, or other titles that I should maybe know going into it?

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I think Odyssey is a better game combat wise. The shield is so broken in origins and it was a really smart idea to get away from it in Odyssey. I still have barely played any Odyssey though, while I did play a shit ton of Origin. I would say go with whatever setting you like more.

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey, while suffering from the same problems as Origins with being too big too long for its combat, at least had better systems it wrapped itself in like the branching cult assassinations. Origins' effort on the assassin part of the game was laughable.

But I voted both bad because they're both boring for most of the playtime.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Semi-related question, but I'm currently playing Unity and for the first time, I'll be skipping ahead and playing Valhalla afterwards. Anything from Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey, or other titles that I should maybe know going into it?
Not really. The "real world" story is fairly diluted and minimized compared to earlier games.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd probably choose Origins if I had to pick one. Especially if you want to get through one fairly quick before Valhalla. There's not much to separate either game. Origins has the more focused story while Odyssey just has a lot more of everything. I think the Egypt setting is probably the most interesting overall, and I think it's bigger cities/towns are more well done/differentiated.

Sep 22, 2019
You are only setting yourself for franchise fatigue. Just skip both and wait for Valhalla, none are really must play games anyway and from the looks of it, the new one is just more of the same.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i like both. Origins for the setting, story, having a shield.

Odyssey for the exploration, more supernatural combat, ships and recruiting mechanics

I got problems with both. But ultimately i think their great games.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
I still love both. Origins brought a new face to the AC scene. Egypt and its mythology just has that- familiar and yet- mysterious appeal of that time of history. Odyssey expands on that with more naval combat ( some people like the sea combat portions of it; I could have done with less) and it added some improvements to the gameplay.

One thing is for sure; both games are beautiful. I am looking forward to Valhalla but also playing these two in the new consoles.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I havent played either of them but I bought Origins on sale recently because I thought it was the one with Kassandra. Glad to hear it's still good, it'll be my first Assassin's Creed game when I finally start it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Both are good but if I had to choose it would be Odyssey.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I'm currently flip flopping between both right now, with Odyssey being the one that I have the most play time in, because I just like being in that world and doing things more than in Origins. Origins is fantastic, and since I've only just started the game after moving to a new save on One X from PS4 Pro, I haven't even begun to discover all that the game has to offer.

However, I was already a bigger fan of Ancient Greece than any other location, and I dunno, even with how obnoxiously fucking BIG Odyssey is, I love going through it. Kassandra is such a great character, and so is Bayek, but the former just oozes sass and charisma. I honestly don't know when I'll finish either, especially Odyssey, but both games are great.

Here's to Valhalla!