• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hey everyone.

I finally opened my copy of Odyssey after blowing the dust off of it. I think I am ready.

I am taking a different approach this time around with Odyssey in comparison to Origins due to burn out. These games simply are too bloated, have too much content and are far too much of a time sink for me. So against my better judgement I am willing to give this one a go.

I want to see the world, experience the graphics and the mainline story since IMO Ubisoft delivers on that. It just gets lost in the blanket of bloat over everything. What settings ( besides easy mode ) should I set ? what build is the most OP? I honestly dont have a preference on play style at this point, I simply want to progress and experience the game as frustration free as possible.

Im sure most of you catch my drift, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks !

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think people who get burned out keep doing the same kind of quests/"missions" (the field battle stuff, the naval stuff, mercenaries) when that variety is there by design so you can go about things at your leisure. just go about things on your whim, don't get too tied down to the notion you're "obligated" to everything on the quest log

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Invest in the Spartan Kick (because ot looks cool) and either the Poison or Fire coating ability, those helped me a ton. You will have to fight often, so abilities that help you in combat will be your friend. You can respec very easily though.

Also, and this should go without saying - stick to the main story quests!

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone.

I finally opened my copy of Odyssey after blowing the dust off of it. I think I am ready.

I am taking a different approach this time around with Odyssey in comparison to Origins due to burn out. These games simply are too bloated, have too much content and are far too much of a time sink for me. So against my better judgement I am willing to give this one a go.

I want to see the world, experience the graphics and the mainline story since IMO Ubisoft delivers on that. It just gets lost in the blanket of bloat over everything. What settings ( besides easy mode ) should I set ? what build is the most OP? I honestly dont have a preference on play style at this point, I simply want to progress and experience the game as frustration free as possible.

Im sure most of you catch my drift, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks !

play on easy and even if you need, toggle the option to have enemies always lower than you.

Do do the mission on post board : they are procedural missions.

Experiment with skills, respect if basically free. Have fun. Go at your own pace

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
i think people who get burned out keep doing the same kind of quests/"missions" (the field battle stuff, the naval stuff, mercenaries) when that variety is there by design so you can go about things at your leisure. just go about things on your whim, don't get too tied down to the notion you're "obligated" to everything on the quest log

Level gating kinda hits you hard every few areas though, kinda forcing you to do mindless busiwork quests just to level up.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need to buy the xp boost in order to finish the game or else you end up grinding a bunch of levels to do the main story?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Just don't do the repeatable quest board quests, and all is fine. :)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Level gating kinda hits you hard every few areas though, kinda forcing you to do mindless busiwork quests just to level up.

in my experience i didn't feel restricted from anything after the first 3 maybe 5 "regions" (out of, like, the 50 or however many there are), but i see this complaint a lot so maybe it's worse than i'm remembering, or maybe it had something to do with my scaling settings, i dunno.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
If you're on PC, install WeMod, and turn on infinite oxygen, infinite arrows and 2x exp. Stick to the main quests. It's a fun game with an OK story and breathtaking scenery at times. You'll have a good time.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Yeah just get the xp boost and you won't need to worry about level gates. I hate recommending that kind of mtx, but this is what it is there for

All the builds are powerful imho...combat is fun but pretty easy, even on normal difficulty, as long as you are fighting appropriate-level enemies

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
  • Put it on easy
  • Put Level Scaling to the lowest level (4 levels below you)
  • Accept generic contracts on the Hermes' statues and let them complete themselves
  • Keep an eye on your equipment, always look if any weapon you get gets you a boost in your desired build
  • Don't even try to mainline it (unless you buy the XP booster). It's not designed to be played that way. You gotta take small Misthios jobs in between many story missions.
Enjoy.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Man I got lost in this game, have a blast. I would just run into random mission, take out camps, Tavel to different islands and explore. Do the xp missions if your falling behind in levels but also turn on the scaling, so you're higher and have fun! Also max out fire or poison they're op!

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
lol dude it's an Ubisoft open world game, It's easy and painless from the get go!

Dare I say it's basically designed for children. Even more so if you play on Easy mode.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I was lucky to be in the stadia beta and got the game for free with a $10 ubi credit, so naturally I immediately bought the permanent xp boost, and even with that there were a couple of times where I realized that I wouldn't have been close to the lvl I need for the main quest, I hated that in Origins, but luckily it is fun to play so if you have the xp boost you won't notice much of a grind. I was really reluctant to play this one but after finally giving it a try I can say it's a really good experience (although, for me it's not a good Assassin's Creed game, great RPG though). Now I'm cleaning up some sude quests that I want to finish before heading into the dlc (did I mention that I bought the season pass because I started loving the game?). I hope they make it more "Assassin's Creed" in the next one, but I doubt it...

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
- Ignore the procedural quests entirely. They're the ones marked with this icon:
7vIrf1b.png
. Pretend they don't exist.

- Don't feel like you should be completing all the question marks on the map. If you come across one and you have the time to spare to do the objectives there, you may as well, but otherwise you don't need to get involved.

- Look for the tomb locations online and go there when you can. Tombs are fast, relatively simple, and award an ability point. Early on, each new ability point makes a huge difference as it gives you a new gameplay mechanic to use or a significant upgrade to a previous one.

- As others have said, don't just try to go through the quests in order. However, do go as far as the point where you deal with a Spartan general. This will give you your first legendary item. You'll eventually want lots more of these, but when you get it, it'll probably be your best piece of kit, and stay that way for a while.

- Eventually you will want mercenaries to attack to grab their gear (and maybe recruit them as crew for their ship). However, early on, they can be a pain, because they're much stronger opponents than standard enemies. You might therefore want to just pay off bounties (or kill the bounty contractor, who'll be marked on your map), until you're okay with the mercenaries. Once you are okay with the mercenaries, go after them whenever you see them. The bonuses for increasing your standing on the mercenary tiers are pretty good and some mercenaries have legendary items, including one of the best bows in the game (Hades Bow - get it when you can)

- Every time you go near a quest board, check it, and accept anything that's marked as a contract. They'll be things like kill a certain number of archers, or ships, or bandits, or wolves or whatever. You'll complete those naturally as you play the game and you'll get awarded gold and XP for having completed the contract.

- Weapons and equipment can be upgraded to match your level. However, the game should be giving you weapons close to your level anyway, so unless you really, really like a piece of equipment, you probably don't need to upgrade. Later on you will want to, especially as you start getting good sets of stuff, but that's for later. Other people are suggesting turning down the scaling, bear in mind if you do that, it will result in you getting gear four levels lower than you.

- Rethink your abilities regularly. You can reset your entire skill tree for a low cost in gold and reallocate all your ability points. This will allow you to try new skills or demote skills that are less useful than you thought. How useful you think each skill is will change as you play the game. The skill that is unarguably among the best skills no matter how you play the game is the healing skill.

- Your inventory menu allows you to unlock build slots that let you save predefined equipment sets and quickly swap between them. You should think about having, at the very least, a build for fighting multiple opponents head-on and a build for stealth (whether that's assassin-oriented or hunter-oriented). Unlocking all the build slots is expensive but even having two will be a good time-saver.

- Your adrenaline bar isn't meant to be saved for when you need it. Use abilities often.

- Probably this is something you don't really need to worry about now, but the way weapon scaling works is: weapons get better every level, but they get new perk levels every 10 levels, with that increasing happening every level ending with 1 (so, level 1, level 11, level 21, etc). Upgrading a weapon from, say, level 20 to level 21 is a much bigger deal than upgrading from level 19 to level 20. It can be worth keeping that in mind when deciding when to buy upgrades.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
This discussion is an headscratcher for me, is this really the price we got to pay to play recent Assassin's Creed Games? Change Level Scaling? Play on easy to bump the playtime significantly down not because of difficulty but because of tedium? Pay 10$ to get an somewhat streamlined experience?

i knew that this franchise got grindy but damn

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
It's not required if you do the large sidequests outside of the main quest, that's more than enough XP. It's only needed if you ONLY want to do the main quest.

Yeah, I never felt like the game was slow with giving me exp points or anything. I never had to run around grinding, because there was always an interesting quest to do anyway. I guess if you really want to rush through the main storyline just to finish it, it might be worth it... but that doesn't really sound like a fun experience to me.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
There's really no need for cheats. Do some of the side missions and you'll never be underpowered, nor will you have to grind to meet level requirements.

My honest advice is to go in with the right mindset. If you're dreading it already, then don't play. This is supposed to be fun, so just enjoy the world and take your time with it. Make it your side game that you pop into when you want a break from your main game. AC Odyssey's one of those games you can pick right up again without feeling completely lost.

Personally I think Spartan Kick and the Fire Ability are really great. Also the Ability to snatch shields off enemies. When hitting an enemy encampment I always go Straight to the signal fire, to set a trap. You don't want them calling in reinforcements, because that's when the higher level bounty hunters start showing up.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Try to do the "lost tales of Greece" missions when they pop up. They give a lot of xp and are some of the best side content in the game.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Put it on easy and turn off level scaling. Once I did that it became infinitely better and one of my GOTG. Also, I'd avoid most of the side quests that don't interest you. I'm over 100 hours and just going back to do more.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Don't play on easy, but hard and level scaling at least equal, because there is a significant xp penalty for playing on easy (and obviously lower level enemies give lower xp also). If you regularly switch out your equipment with higher stat loot. The game really isn't that hard, outside maybe the first hour and/or if you do certain regions out of order.

Don't bother upgrading/buying equipment, use your coin to buy off your wanted level to a manageable degree instead. If you are looking for good chances on great gear, don't buy down all the time though, cause mercs have higher chances of valuable loot.

Instead of selling all your equipment, I found it more beneficial to breakdown gear for resources.

Don't buy the xp booster, it's unnecessary. If you do want to boost xp, you can get up to 20 two hour xp boosters with Uplay points (first should be free). You can also pause the boosters and only turn them on when turning in quests and/or finishing main quest.

Pick up all quest from bounty boards (or at least those without hourglass symbols) as many are just contracts you'll fulfill without any extra effort (kill 5 wolves, kill 20 Athenian soldiers).

Last edited:

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
One of the great things about oddysey is that for a very low amount of in game money you can reset your build so you don't have to sweat if you pick the wrong ability.

Every. Single. Fucking. Game. Should let you do this.

OP
OP

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hey guys

I'm enjoying it so far but if course I getting bombarded with quests and junk

Besides getting contracts, what side missions should I play and or avoid ? Am I right in just doing contracts and (!) Marked quests ?

Oct 27, 2017
Wait there is a trainer for this on PC? Why did I not think about this. I'm about 15-20 hours in and like level 13 and I am getting sick of always being underleveled.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Well, when I first bought it I got burned out pretty soon because of wanting to do everything before moving on, but I kept getting into new zones, new quests new this new that and I eventually put it down, I booted the game saw 50 quests, half of them I had no idea where to go and said fuck it.

6 months later, I reboot the game, pick Kassandra, and just focus on main story, when the main story quests out level me I just do random stuff I feel like doing, till I reach said main quest level.

And honestly, if you're kinda like me, this is how I feel the game was meant to be played, if you're a completionist... well, just stay away, it will destroy your will.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys

Besides getting contracts, what side missions should I play and or avoid ? Am I right in just doing contracts and (!) Marked quests ?

to reiterate my first post just do what you want. of course there's stuff you can't ignore forever (i ignored the naval stuff and getting on track with that was a headache.) but assuming you're like some less than 10 or so hrs into the game you're free to whatever

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Exploration mode seems cool at first and it is but after a while it will start to feel like a time-waster due to the size of the world and amount of quests, mid-game I switched to guided mode which gives you quest waypoints on the map, huge time-saver.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
If on PC then try Cheat engine. Otherwise play 15-ish hours to get enough of the gameplay loop, quit the main campaign, and do the Discovery Tour to finish it out.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys

Yeah, anything marked as ! is worth doing. You shouldn't "play" the contracts so much as collect them and let them complete as you play naturally.

Things worth diverting out of your way to do/collect are:

Tombs (early on, a free ability point is a better reward than anything else)
Leader houses (should be fast and generally have ok rewards)
Legendary animals (can be tricky, especially the first one you'll most likely encounter in Phokis)
Cultists (any cultist within a few levels of you is worth killing)
Legendary items (Some are in chests, some are on cultists, some are on mercenaries - they're worth collecting whenever you can arrange to do that)
Viewpoints (you will be happy you synchronised them later)

Things not worth diverting for:

Camps
Animal dens
Caves
Shipwrecks (keep them for later)
Forts most of the time (you'll get missions in most of the game's forts, so there's no real need to go through them beforehand, although that being said, a fort can be a good way to get a pile of gold, loot, and hopefully contract-related kills so there'll be times when it's good to go through them)
Lost Tales of Greece (I actually like most of these quests but I think they're better if you do them later)
Ostrakas (some of them are worthwhile to get the additional perk levels on your equipment but this kind of hunt-the-right-pixel gameplay just doesn't fit well into Odyssey)

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I just beat this game and really enjoyed it.

Only do the quests that are in gold, don't waste your time with procedural generated quests, contracts, breaking down the leaders and battles. All those things can happen but you shouldn't go out of your way to do so, especially contracts, you just continue do your thing and hope they complete themselves. '

I didn't waste a lot of time hunting mercenaries but when you beat one a level below your current, you unlock a perk.

Legendary armor automatically scales to you when you collect all pieces.

When you get a second weapon slot, consider that the other weapon may be just important as an engraving, as engravings can affect both weapons or the player overall.

The islands had some of the best side quests.

It probably depends on your play style, but my early favorites were hero strike, second wind and critical assassination.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Main thing is ignore the quests with hourglass symbols and dark blue exclamation points, consider the ones with a symbol like a diverging path, since that means it appeared because of a choice you made, and absolutely do the gold exclamation point and light blue exclamation point quests

As for the rest of the busywork, it might be worth it to clear out some outposts because you can find quest items before you need them and surprise the quest giver, instantly finishing your quest

Make sure you put on the healing active ability as soon as you get it

Also ignore the cash shop, it serves no purpose

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Loved this game. It's my go to in-between games game. Need to beat it soon, though.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
There is a secret about AC Odyssey

The devs really leaned into the whole "freedom" systems, to the point that if you play it ",as it is" it's actually brain dead. I'm talking specifically about HUD, level design and animations.

Steps to play Odyssey as a serious, true to the bone game:

• Disable all HUD except for power controls (contextual), oxygen and loot, and location information. Mission objectives can be sonsulted on the map screen, and they're mostly simple enough to remember. Disable the compass. Disable enemy health. For the love of God disable damage numbers.
  • Don't walk /move at top analogue stick speed. That's "auto" mode. It looks bad. Levels are not wide enough to support it. It's awful. There are 4 analogue speed settings (2 for walking, two for running) .The actual intended movement speeds are second walk speed (similar to default Black Flag) and first running speed. The games even tells you to not use the max speed by causing a constant, awful and jarring jading sound to Kassandra. You're not supposed to hear that all the time.
  • Let animations finish. Odyssey is infamous for its bad character animations. The thing is, the animations are mostly there, but once you move the stick, the controls prioritize "movement" and end the animations right there. Don't act in a hurry. The character is a marionette. Let it fall. Let it get on the horse. Don't rush it.
  • The world has actual level design. Don't climb anywhere in straight line. You wouldn't believe the complexity of levels I've encountered by just trying to use the "rational" route. As in, not acting super human and climbing anywhere. There are critical routes that resemble some of Black Flag environmental parkour. It's diluted, but it's there. Try not to play in God Mode.
  • Use Iksros sparingly, mostly for exploration purposes (finding your nearest viewpoint etc). Don't use the bird to mark enemies. Sometimes even objectives. Most of them are hand placed in relevant places and finding them is part of the fun. Forget this advise when talking about objects in chests.
All in all ACO is a paragon of accessibility, to the point the most casual of gamers could play a 200 hours rpg in a breeze, but a well designed, serious game lies besides the over abundant hand holding.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
You're immediately setting off on the wrong foot I have to say.

AC: Odyssey doesn't really have a "mainline story" the way other open world games do. It DOES have "Main Quests" of course, but these Main Quests are often directly connected to the exploration of the world and completion of "Side Quests". The difference is largely rhetoric since many "side quests" are presented just as well and have storylines just as intricate as most "main quests".

Here's an example: One of the 3 main quest lines is about finding and murdering AC: Odyssey version of the Templars. It's basically what AC: Origins entirely revolved around (including largely the same HUD presentation around it) but here it's just one of three main story lines. However you find these Templars by exploring the world. Often you engage in side quests, stumple upon a long chain of quests and at the end of that quest chain waits a Templar you need to kill for the "main" quest line. Meaning: The Side Quests ARE the Main Quests. They are completely voiced, they are just as intricate as the main quests and there is little to no difference between them.

This is not a game you should - and maybe even can - "mainline" and just push through. Exploration and side activities are just as much part of the core gameplay loop as the "main" quests are - and because they is functionally no difference between them there is little to be gained by focusing on the later anyway. This is why so many people got hung up on the necessity to "grind" in AC: Odyssey. You absolutely do not have to grind. What you do have to do is engage with the content of the game. The Main Quest IS the exploration, the Main Quest IS finding new allies around the world.

Instead of giving you an open world full of people and activities & a 15 to 20 hour main campaign as two separate entities -as most RPGs do - AC Odyssey connected them in a way that doesn't allow you to just disconnect one from the other. So if you start the game with the intention of skipping certain things and wanting to mainline as efficiently as possible you very likely will get frustrated at having to...well...play the game.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
So take it this is grinder than origins? Just started that and 5 hours in at level 11 few levels above the MSQ

Aug 13, 2019