• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
For bugs I usually would atlas moth hunt, then sell to flick. the spawns have been nerfed for bugs though. In the rain you can get a good amount of good fish at the pier if you accumulate fish bait over time...like make a point to spend 10 minutes a day getting Manila clams. you can eventually get hundreds of bait, in the rain on the pier you can make loads from fish. coelacanths are big ticket fish, so are things like tuna and marlins
Just to get back at this. Is rain the unlock for those big fish at the pier? Good to know.

I will also encourage people to get fish bait. I'm stacking bait for the next fish tournament but it seems the best way to get rare fish, including on elevated streams. My tip I picked up was to throw bait and only fish for the big shadows. If you get a small shadow and you want a rare catch, throw another bait. It seems like a waste but it's how I got that golden trout, which is kind of rare for some.

Take 20-30 bait and be willing to waste some bait and skip the small shadows.

...but why? I don't understand what you'd even need more money for when you have 21 million bells. I'm not sure if the entire catalog even approaches that amount

My 2 cents: something exciting and satisfying about playing the stalk market. Maybe it's the risk and rush of finding the great price, visiting someone's island, potentially losing money, the time limit, kinda of finding, what feels like, a cheat.

My first time playing animal crossing and I'm a firm member of anti fashion hunter in Monster hunter but I'm in love with the fashion part of the game, changing my clothes, the music, the fishing and collecting of bugs. And the stalk market.

But making a pretty scene or area isn't that great to me because my imagination is lacking. Making money is just a small part of the game that gives me a lot of joy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
...but why? I don't understand what you'd even need more money for when you have 21 million bells. I'm not sure if the entire catalog even approaches that amount

Temptation I guess?

I would personally say 21 millions worth of turnips is well beyond my own sweet spot for a week on the stalk exchange market.
Counting the time wasted waiting for a decent island, long queues, disconnections, people leaving with "-", island owners letting on too many users, and all the countless other problems that can and will arise, one single turnip run (i.e selling 4,000 turnips) online can easily take around 1 hour at peak rush times.
21 millions worth is about 200,000 turnips, or 50 runs ideally, supposing one manages to find owners that accept to let them pay after selling rather that upfront.
Unless they luck out and get a good price on their island, they're looking at a potential 50 hours of work to maximize profits.
Of course, there is always the possibility to settle for far lower prices, preferably on their own island, but then it's also a lot of time for comparatively very meager benefits...

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Temptation I guess?

I would personally say 21 millions worth of turnips is well beyond my own sweet spot for a week on the stalk exchange market.
Counting the time wasted waiting for a decent island, long queues, disconnections, people leaving with "-", island owners letting on too many users, and all the countless other problems that can and will arise, one single turnip run (i.e selling 4,000 turnips) online can easily take around 1 hour at peak rush times.
21 millions worth is about 200,000 turnips, or 50 runs ideally, supposing one manages to find owners that accept to let them pay after selling rather that upfront.
Unless they luck out and get a good price on their island, they're looking at a potential 50 hours of work to maximize profits.
Of course, there is always the possibility to settle for far lower prices, preferably on their own island, but then it's also a lot of time for comparatively very meager benefits...
On the flip side, if they put up a bounty, that might be a big come up for the person willing to let him do 10 runs. I offered 2 million for 6 runs once. 20 million for 50 runs so he can make 80 million seems reasonable. 10 minutes per run?

That's a lot.

I would totally take that bounty.

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On the flip side, if they put up a bounty, that might be a big come up for the person willing to let him do 10 runs. I offered 2 million for 6 runs once. 20 million for 50 runs so he can make 80 million seems reasonable. 10 minutes per run?

That's a lot.

I would totally take that bounty.

That is one way to do it of course - however they'd need to find someone who's willing to let their console on for 500 minutes and basically squeeze that between 12 and 10 pm, hoping no disconnections etc. arise.
Mornings are automatically a no-go.

For the receiving end, it's far from ideal as it means they'll have to keep an eye on their overheating console for over 8 hours, preventing it from disconnecting and reconnecting asap if it happens. I'm not sure I'd take that deal myself to be honest, when I could be diluting those same 8 hrs over a few days island hopping as a seller.
While the bounty would of course be more lucrative (20 millions net benefit for the bounty, vs 16 millions minus investment costs for island hopping), they're also immensely more constraining as you're offering a service and must ensure things go smoothly, whereas when you're just selling, you can let the console go to sleep mode and do irl stuff like work with Discord or Twitter in the background, only jumping in when your turn comes up...

Of course, there's always the solution to ask for help from a third party to speed things up, but usually, that means having to split profits...

Personally, no matter how I look at it, 21 millions is far beyond what I'd consider the sweet spot.
The hard 4,000 limit on inventory turnips, along with hard-set times involved for each transaction become too much of a hindrance, making diminishing returns come into play way too fast.

It's a simple calculation: you start with 400,000 bells, buy 4,000 turnips, and sell for 2,000,000. The net profit is 1.6M, 4x your initial worth.
Second run: you start with 2,000,000. Buy 4,000 turnips for 400,000, sell for 2,000,000. The net profit is, again, 1.6M - which is now only 0.8x your initial worth for exactly the same amount of work and exactly the same amount of time.
Of course at this point, it is still interesting, because using your entire fortune, you can make 5 runs, netting 8,000,000 in profits for an amount of total time spent that remains manageable.
But the wealthier you get, the less sense it makes.
(And I say this having close to 100,000,000 bells in the bank.)

Last edited:

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
94 on my island. According to Turnip Prophet, I have a 60.5% chance of a large spike week and a 36.3% chance of a decreasing week. Not bad odds! Hopefully I can go a week without island hopping!

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Casual player new to turnip flipping. Can someone explain the "tipping etiquette" here and how the process even works?
What I've done is take my 40 turnips to the island (or whatever the amount). Then after the sale I drop a couple of sacks of coins which usually makes out to 10% or so. That's obviously for a full inventory making about $2 million bells. So adjust accordingly.

I haven't seen anyone in this forum be particularly cutthroat asking for insane entry fees, but obviously check with the host in case they want something else.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
They're just a 131 for me and it's about a 95% chance that's as high as it'll get. I guess now I have to worry all week about seeking out another island.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Just to get back at this. Is rain the unlock for those big fish at the pier? Good to know.

Rain is the overall unlock for rarer fish spawn percentages. Coelacanths only spawn in the rain and they are like the most expensive fish i think, but those are good when you run around the island beach and chase away the small shadows.

Aw shit. Nooks Cranny is under construction today :/

you should feel lucky its on a Monday

Last edited:

cowie

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping to start getting in on some of the turnip goodness! Not that I'll be able to contribute very much this week, according to turnip prophet (small spike it looks like :( )

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Finally remembered to get up and get turnips on Sunday since I usually forget or sleep in late. Here's to hoping I can at least double my return so I can start getting these house upgrades.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So tomorrow afternoon I have a 95% chance of somewhere between 218-652

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have an official way of handling things when a user here opens up their island to others? Or does everyone kinda just ask to join in here in the thread? I've only been involved in it once.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Alright, My Island is officially open for selling! Turnip prices are 590 bells.

If it gets backed up, I'll make up a list and let people in a few at the time. I only ask you be efficient, come in and sell, and head out!

I have no asking price to come, but tips are definitely appreciated, in the form of bells, Zaza 00⁰anything furniture wise (my house has no furniture besides a bed!), ironwood stuff, etc etc.

And also please go easy on me, I haven't done this before!
I would love to visit if you have time

Dec 2, 2017
Alright, My Island is officially open for selling! Turnip prices are 590 bells.

If it gets backed up, I'll make up a list and let people in a few at the time. I only ask you be efficient, come in and sell, and head out!

I have no asking price to come, but tips are definitely appreciated, in the form of bells, anything furniture wise (my house has no furniture besides a bed!), ironwood stuff, etc etc.

And also please go easy on me, I haven't done this before!
I would appreciate a visit please.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Scratch that, you've noticed.

That first week my bell prices were amazing, but I haven't hit over 200 in like 2 weeks now.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I find it especially strange two folks made the same mistake in such a short timespan. Perhaps a bug on the forum made that post the latest post in this thread for a minute?

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
94 on my island. According to Turnip Prophet, I have a 60.5% chance of a large spike week and a 36.3% chance of a decreasing week. Not bad odds! Hopefully I can go a week without island hopping!
Prepare for an emotional rollercoaster. Just went through a potential large spike week and it went 50/50 with decreasing until Wednesday when it jumped up to 93% large spike for Thursday.

Do we have an official way of handling things when a user here opens up their island to others? Or does everyone kinda just ask to join in here in the thread? I've only been involved in it once.
Depends on the person. Some people use Turnip Exchange, some post the Dodo code and some PM it.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, I see y'all are time traveling back two weeks.

My nooks are closing tomorrow. I hope they don't bump tomorrow.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to give money? I just realized I might have to sell my wife's turnips for her if I find someone online that's got a good price.

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible to give money? I just realized I might have to sell my wife's turnips for her if I find someone online that's got a good price.

Just drop money bags on the ground outside.
Any amount above 99,999 will automatically be put into bags.
To give the remaining money from your wallet, place the cursor over your wallet amount and press A, it'll give you several options to choose from.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I basically spent all my paltry savings on Turnips this week, so here's hoping the investment pays off. I have so many buildings to move and almost no money to make it happen. :/

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
I think i might be done looking for places to sell on Twitter due to the fact I'm legitimately receiving death threats after i called a couple people out for lying about their turnip prices.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I think i might be done looking for places to sell on Twitter due to the fact I'm legitimately receiving death threats after i called a couple people out for lying about their turnip prices.
It sucks that people are sending you death threats because you are trying to alert people to scammers.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
It sucks that people are sending you death threats because you are trying to alert people to scammers.
It's alright, it's just aggravating can't even find any place decent to go sell since people like that decided to ruin everything by posting fake turnip prices.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
only 136 potential max on my primary switch, 51% chance for 558 on my switch lite
Ugh, wish I could travel to my secondary island. 😭

Oct 25, 2017
Island was to potentially large spike up to above 600 tomorrow
Nook boys decided to close down for renovation tomorrow
You will pay for this Thomas I swear to you

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One trip! Just one last trip and I'm done!
I'll have two stacks of turnips left, which I guess I'll eat.

Last edited:

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to do time travel today back to yesterday, because it was raining on my island and I need to water my flowers.

Will my Turnips be affected because of this? Should I wait until I sell them? Thanks in advance